Automatically converting items to fragments after level 75: Bug or bad design?

CatrinTheWonk

As title.

I levelled a trooper last week to 80 via flashpoints, kitted her out in full 320 from drops in the missions and didn't think much of it. Until I went to do the story / unlock all the datacrons. Now, every single green / yellow drop from mobs is automatically converted into a "bag of fragments" item (or another one, bag of something coins). Since all the content is scaled, if I explore and kill a dangerous world mini-boss the game automatically destroys / replaces all drops with paltry amounts of fragments.

This is really offensive and bad design: if I want to farm much lower scaled enemies / planets for fashion items, trinkets for alts or just for the thrill of finding some rare unloved and unwanted item most people will never see drop, I should be able to.

Removing the loot tables and slapping on this atrocious conversion (which is doubly insulting: I think I get 500 fragments from doing a conquest weekly, 10 is rubbish) smacks of "unintended consequences" where someone tried to code a loot-table upgrade for the new 75-80 tier and made a huge mistake and ended up wiping out most of the game's loot-tables instead.

~So, question:

a) Can you switch this terrible feature off? (since, apprently, fragments aren't even useful for 320 > 340 grind anyhow). If not, why not?

b) Have the dev team never played an MMO before? 60% of "the hook" is the endorphin rush from item drops. You've managed to remove that from almost all your content without even asking the player's permission.

c) This is aside from the Heroic mission / Flashpoint reward systems, which render all pre level 75 content pointless anyhow, but that's a different conversation. Also, the drop rates on mini-bosses / gold star enemies is also atrocious but hey.

If this is a "set feature" and not a toggle, I'll simply not subscribe again - I've no desire to have to micro-manage alts so they remain under level 74 (esp. given how amazingly broken the XP curve is - it's almost impossible not to be at least 20 levels over content constantly, worse if you do flashpoints for gear, which is basically the only way to get purples I've seen). Yes: I've lost over 50 yellow drops (stopped counting then) to this, and I've never seen a purple drop in the wild.

Edited by CatrinTheWonk

Since there are no responses, here's a real life example from the game that just occurred:

I defeat Darth Arho, level 50 boss from the Ilum DLC add-on. He is level 50 and I am scaled to 50. It's the apex of the entire story chain on the planet.

He drops a yellow rare! Yay!

Oh, wait: it's five (5) Conquest Commendations. You can probably get more playing a pug game of huttball. In fact, gold star random enemies do, in fact, also drop these, making the loot even worse as it's a shared loot table between random trash gold enemies and the big-bad of your entire DLC. That is terrible design / coding, lazy and ugly in implementation.

~

And that's how you ruin your game and make customers not renew subscriptions.

Edited by CatrinTheWonk