a scoundrel and his gun...

MuonGoldSmuggler

its really lame that scoundrels have a pistol but can only fire it if in melee range

and yea i understand that scoundrel is designd as a melee class but cmoon... fighting sith lords with my bare hands, kicking them into the nutts and having the gun just for style?!?!

thats one of the most immersive breaking classes in the game, its feels like the class is made for 12year olds and not for han solo fans!! playing a scoundrel feels like playing a character from dragonball to me lol

would be nice if they add some more abillities that would give us some range with our guns or atleast some nice animations or a theme (poison/fire etc) like other classes have, or just anything that gives u the feeling of playing a smuggler!!!

since i playd a smuggler in the awesome star wars galaxies mmo (RIP) i wanted to continue playing one in swtor but it seems like i have to switch over to bh -.-

Edited by MuonGoldSmuggler

yeah the word " immersive breaking " is on point

- i have all 8 classes and i can understand what " IS HAPPENING " when you play them

BUT scoundrels ? ... when i am playing i do NOT know what is happening

- do i just run across the battlefield and flail my pistol grip ?

- in the trailer of the game the smuggler Niko Okarr is shooting at the attacking force ... i don't see him running in melee range smacking Malgus & Vidican with the pistol grip

my own suggestion :

- make Ruffian a dedicated ranged class

- give Scrapper access to : Vibroblades / Lightsabers ... to justify the melee nature of the specialization

P.S - of course Scrapper will only be able to equip Lightsabers but they will NOT have any kind of access to " force powers " ... and their abilities will remain that of a standard Vibroblade melee combatant

Edited by banimoka

• 2 weeks later...

dont get me wrong.... i really like the gameplay and pacing of the scoundrel and i also like ''some'' of its melee abillities but all of its pistol abillities are like only 5meters sucks abit

in my opinion it would be really easy to fix that with just adding 5-10meters to a few (not all of them) the range abillities

and also remove the bushwick animation with something more smuggler stylish (smuggi throws a grenade into the air, shoots it and it explodes over the enemy in a big dustcloud of gas/fire/shrapnell or something like this) that would be much better than ''that'' we have now lol

also i really like ur ideas banimoka!

the only thing i would dislike if they would make ruffian a ''pure'' or ''static'' range class, i would really hate it to lose my mobility

i like to have range and melee abillities (pistol for range and dirty fighting tricks, punchypunch for melee)

also the idea for giving scrappers vibroblades/knifes is great but hell no lightsabers that would not work :D

Edited by MuonGoldSmuggler

• 2 months later...

First post on any MMO forum in a Year or so, so here it goes >:D

;p

There have been quite a few Star Wars games across Most Gaming Consoles in the History of existence with few exception.

There is One that comes to Mind for N64 released nearly 2 decades ago whose title escapes My recollection.

Forgive Me , it's been nearly 20 years.

ANYWAY the Main Character U play as is "Dash Rendar" (pardon my possible misspelling).

He's a beast! O_O

Big Muscular Guy with a A Triangle Body , Wide at the top.

Uses a Hand Gun and other "Scoundrel" like weapons including a grappling hook ( i think )

He's nuts. One cutscene He's spying on the Final Boss In the shadows on the side of the Doorway and the Main Villain doesn't have a freaking clue Dash is there.

So for immersions sake.....Think "Dash Rendar" when U think Scoundrel (just a suggestion).

Or Rogue.

First of all, it is assumed (and probably mentioned somewhere) that you are force sensitive. Secondly, Jedi/Sith are not omnipotent beings. Not everyone is on Anakin/Luke’s level. Even in the movies, thousands of Jedi died like chumps to clones with a simple blaster rifle.

Think of the scrapper scoundrel as a brawler. If you want more of a ranged play style, go Ruffian. If you want ranged, play a gunslinger.

Edited by Rion_Starkiller

• 2 weeks later...
I mean, Vanguards as I recall are similar. Have blast rifles but do most of their damage within 10m range. With that said, it's whatever. Their playstyles are fine imo. Doesn't break my immersion that they are up close and personal either. To each their own though.

• 4 weeks later...
If Vanguard can shoot in melee with rifle why not make it that instead of double punch with crossed guns visuals we instead fire our blaster and shotgun at same time. Would make much more sense and shotgun is already melee in swtor for us.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I think scoundrel is fine, you have to remember we have little gadgets to do dirty tricks to get the upper hand and a shotgun. Think of Cad Bane, he took on two Jedi.

Pistols are meant to be used at close-ish range as they're the most impactful that way too.

If you do some research I think it's very easy to change you're view on scoundrels and their guns being competitive.

Edited by Quekankwin

• 3 months later...

Lethality operative and ruffian scoundrel looks ok imo(as an operative your main weapons are blaster and vibroblade(blade is used mostly as TA builder and from stealth) and scoundrel use dirty tricks with blaster and concealed shotgun. Maybe you should try ruffian and it should be better?

I was thinking about tactical that increase shiv range to 10m but becouse 7.0 is comming and the overload shot/quick shot is gone maybe better idea would be to add into 7.0 scoundrel/operative trees new ability replacer for shiv/blaster whip, that change these animations to overload shot/quick shot and extend range to 10m(or it can be tendom sever/blast animations since those abilities are also gone in 7.0). That would really make scoundrel character(at least ruffian spec) a little bit more feel of that Han Solo archetype.

Edited by Davook

yeah the word " immersive breaking " is on point

- i have all 8 classes and i can understand what " IS HAPPENING " when you play them

BUT scoundrels ? ... when i am playing i do NOT know what is happening

- do i just run across the battlefield and flail my pistol grip ?

- in the trailer of the game the smuggler Niko Okarr is shooting at the attacking force ... i don't see him running in melee range smacking Malgus & Vidican with the pistol grip

my own suggestion :

- make Ruffian a dedicated ranged class

- give Scrapper access to : Vibroblades / Lightsabers ... to justify the melee nature of the specialization

P.S - of course Scrapper will only be able to equip Lightsabers but they will NOT have any kind of access to " force powers " ... and their abilities will remain that of a standard Vibroblade melee combatant

Of course lightsabers for scoundrels would be the same immersion breaking as running around and whiping everything and everyone with pistol grip and punching bare hands. Only problem is if scoundrel is tech class and it's armed with two distinct weapon systems blaster and concealed scattergun(like true space cowboy should) than most of scoundrel attacks should be build around those two weapons. Just like operative is build around using blaster and vibroblade(one spec is mostly blaster the other focus on vibroblade). As the pistols are generaly short range weapons 4m-10m range for most attack is fine just animation are wrong. Changing blaster whip for cowboy stance quickshot from the hip would be so much better. Probably it will never happen thou.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Why are you whining?

Scoundrel - is just like a typical Star Wars movie/series, rated as G, where heroes would use their grips, fists, punches rather than light sabers, blasters etc. :D

Edited by SilverWF

• 2 weeks later...

Pistols are more effective at short range - that would make sense if weapons had a damage threshold based on distance.

Sith and Jedi are not invincible - true, but in this game there's parry, which means parrying your pistol whips/punches/nut kicks with a lightsaber. And then, there are the droids, which should void all of these cartoonish powers.

It would make more sense translating the range limit into an accuracy bonus for the classes (lack of expertise from shooter classes, but compensate with dirty fighting and shooting where it hurts more, point blank), and replacing the cartoonish powers with vibroblades and close range tech attacks - electrical nets, emp grenades, flammable chemicals detonated by blaster fire, thermal detonators, etc.

21/03/22

I recently reached lvl 60 with a ruffian/saboteur. Aside the overly complicated rotation, and extra resources to manage, ruffian is fun to play. But this is a good example of what motivated this thread. As saboteur, i can skip air strikes inside caves, at the cost of some dps, but a much more immersive experience.

As a ruffian i can't skip pistol whip. No upper hand, no dps (and some healing powers won't work either). That's when i realised i'll eventually have to pistol whip Darth Malgus into the ground. And Revan. And every other powerful boss in solo content that should be taken seriously.

Edited by yandcabral
adding info

• 9 months later...
On 3/2/2021 at 9:38 AM, Rion_Starkiller said:

First of all, it is assumed (and probably mentioned somewhere) that you are force sensitive. Secondly, Jedi/Sith are not omnipotent beings. Not everyone is on Anakin/Luke’s level. Even in the movies, thousands of Jedi died like chumps to clones with a simple blaster rifle.

Think of the scrapper scoundrel as a brawler. If you want more of a ranged play style, go Ruffian. If you want ranged, play a gunslinger.

Further away than 5 meters