Do Something About the Toxicity in the Fleet Chats in the Game

DarthEnrique

All it takes is ignoring around 5 players on your server to clear up the majority of the troll BS that baits people into political discussions. They intentionally log on and spout the most foul ideology like racism, sexism, etc for attention.

Ignore the fools who are using you as a cheap form of entertainment.

Edited by illgot

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's nice to see all the privileged people who come into these conversations and tell LGBTQ+ to keep putting up with discrimination and bigotry and don't care that it's getting worse. You all act like we should be emotionless robots with no self-respect and to all you claiming free speech, you obviously are oblivious to how the laws work. EA can police their own chat and ban people from the game without their consumers doing their job for them, it is their right as a company to do so, if they don't like or want to tolerate homophobic rhetoric in their game the law allows them to remove anyone from the game that does so. Free speech only stops the government from infringing on your right to speak your mind, not as someone pointed out, in someone's home, a place of business, or even an MMO, free speech is a moot argument but you still wanna make me the problem when the problem is people not understanding how the laws work or that people are human beings who would get tired of being discriminated against and hit a breaking point. It's Pride Month and this happens to us LGBTQ+ every freaking year and you people tell us to ignore it and it gets worse each freaking year so obviously ignoring it isn't the solution and honestly, I put up with it enough in real life, why tf would I wanna come onto a game and that be the first thing I see in my chat once the game is done loading in? Seriously keep your privileged opinions of ignore it to yourself people, I'm tired of being told to ignore it, EA needs to uphold it's own rights and police the game and monitor the ingame chat, especially seeing as it's Pride Month, which means until July 1st this is gonna be an every day thing.

You're a subscriber.

The only power you have with EA is to vote with your wallet.

There's an exit poll when you unsubscribe, be very clear as to why you're leaving.

I've never seen, via in game arguments in gen chat, any changes made that would be what you're looking for.

It's nice to see all the privileged people who come into these conversations and tell LGBTQ+ to keep putting up with discrimination and bigotry and don't care that it's getting worse. You all act like we should be emotionless robots with no self-respect and to all you claiming free speech, you obviously are oblivious to how the laws work. EA can police their own chat and ban people from the game without their consumers doing their job for them, it is their right as a company to do so, if they don't like or want to tolerate homophobic rhetoric in their game the law allows them to remove anyone from the game that does so. Free speech only stops the government from infringing on your right to speak your mind, not as someone pointed out, in someone's home, a place of business, or even an MMO, free speech is a moot argument but you still wanna make me the problem when the problem is people not understanding how the laws work or that people are human beings who would get tired of being discriminated against and hit a breaking point. It's Pride Month and this happens to us LGBTQ+ every freaking year and you people tell us to ignore it and it gets worse each freaking year so obviously ignoring it isn't the solution and honestly, I put up with it enough in real life, why tf would I wanna come onto a game and that be the first thing I see in my chat once the game is done loading in? Seriously keep your privileged opinions of ignore it to yourself people, I'm tired of being told to ignore it, EA needs to uphold it's own rights and police the game and monitor the ingame chat, especially seeing as it's Pride Month, which means until July 1st this is gonna be an every day thing.

Nobody cares if you are gay or not. They don't either, they just want to troll in general chat and you got offended and started typing which was their entire goal to begin with, they do not care, they only want to get people to start typing so they can have fun.

I hate how it was never a problem before, especially on EU server racism is very common in gen chat, how is that not just as bad as calling someone gay or whatever. All of a sudden now that it effects you it's a big deal - ok sure...

Someones view points in a MMO gen chat do not in fact equal their actual opinion and if you can't handle that then I siggest turning of chat and never going into PvP

All it takes is ignoring around 5 players on your server to clear up the majority of the troll BS that baits people into political discussions. They intentionally log on and spout the most foul ideology like racism, sexism, etc for attention.

Ignore the fools who are using you as a cheap form of entertainment.

We need a bigger ignore list for that.

It may be around 5 players on the time you first log in. Later it's going to be 5 different people. And later yet another 5. Ignore list fills up fast.

Yeah, I always put them on ignore, sometimes I report them. But it never ends as long as BW doesn't take action on their accounts. The playerbase shrinking with every "game improvement", I doubt they will.

Hi, how exactly am i "privileged" ? I deal with a lot of hatred and discrimination too, it is either because of my birth country or because of the class i play ( Arsenal or IO mercenary) . But, for my own good, i learned to ignore people, stop feeding the trolls and go on with my life.

Being kicked out of each and every NiM Nefra raid because of too low dmg ( 20 k) doesn't sound like privilege, does it?

Being accused of being a gypsy and a thief because of my nationality doesn't sound like privilege, does it?

And so on, and so on.

I have 7 years of playing and maybe, just maybe, you , the people upset because one troll or another said something offensive should take my advice and ignore them.

Edited by bluehufsa

It's Pride Month and this happens to us LGBTQ+ every freaking year and you people tell us to ignore it and it gets worse each freaking year so obviously ignoring it isn't the solution and honestly, I put up with it enough in real life, why tf would I wanna come onto a game and that be the first thing I see in my chat once the game is done loading in? Seriously keep your privileged opinions of ignore it to yourself people, I'm tired of being told to ignore it, EA needs to uphold it's own rights and police the game and monitor the ingame chat, especially seeing as it's Pride Month, which means until July 1st this is gonna be an every day thing.

Let's stop right there. I haven't posted in months b/c I unsubscribed, but am hopeful of the new changes for reasons beyond the scope of this thread (but no CC's for you Bioware until changes are made! :rak_01:).

Those who do remember me may recall I am a proud member of the LGBTQ+ community <<sips martini>>. But... and it's a big Hutt-sized butt (well, not really, I look fabu in a speedo)...

You are factually wrong. While there are some legal issues pending in select states in the USA, there is little debate that our rights and acceptance have increased across the board.

DarthEnrique, we share the same goal, but we disagree strongly on tactics. You claim you want to help those members of our community who are young and struggling with their identity by taking up the fight in general chat on a forum about a video game in a galaxy far, far, away.

Let me be blunt: You are hurting our community. When you feed the trolls, you only encourage them to post their hate-filled vitriol. Bioware has done what it can by offering the report option. Sadly, they can't control or police every moment of the day.

More importantly, it is pretty arrogant of you to:

Claim erroneously that you speak for the LGBTQ+ community. I'm 52 years old (as of 6/21, where are my happy birthday wishes! :rak_03:). I've been out since college and was chair of the LGBTQ+ outreach program in graduate school and have been active in promoting our rights for three decades. Trust me, I don't have internalized homophobia. But you are doing more to hurt our community than help by encouraging and feeding trolls. They caught you hook, line, and sinker. All you have done is amplify their microphone and platform.

Report the bigoted trolls and move on. Bioware has openly embraced our community in a very proactive way -- both in game and out of game. They just can't be everywhere in general chat.

<<sips martini>>

:csw_jabba:

Dasty

Edited by Jdast
Clarity

Seriously keep your privileged opinions of ignore it to yourself people, I'm tired of being told to ignore it, EA needs to uphold it's own rights and police the game and monitor the ingame chat, especially seeing as it's Pride Month, which means until July 1st this is gonna be an every day thing.

Nah. If you can express your opinion I can express mine. Equal rights for all.

My guess is EA doesn't want to pay for more in-game issue management than what they already have. It doesn't matter if it's Pride Month or Black History Month or whatever disadvantaged group is being focused on. EA would have to fund more support staff or invest in developing AI technology to handle the in-game chat concerns you've expressed. SWTOR doesn't seem like a game that is doing all that well right now so it seems unlikely EA would make additional investment unless a clear and positive return-on-investment case can be made.

Let's stop right there. I haven't posted in months b/c I unsubscribed, but am hopeful of the new changes for reasons beyond the scope of this thread (but no CC's for you Bioware until changes are made! :rak_01:).

Those who do remember me may recall I am a proud member of the LGBTQ+ community <<sips martini>>. But... and it's a big Hutt-sized butt (well, not really, I look fabu in a speedo)...

You are factually wrong. While there are some legal issues pending in select states in the USA, there is little debate that our rights and acceptance have increased across the board.

DarthEnrique, we share the same goal, but we disagree strongly on tactics. You claim you want to help those members of our community who are young and struggling with their identity by taking up the fight in general chat on a forum about a video game in a galaxy far, far, away.

Let me be blunt: You are hurting our community. When you feed the trolls, you only encourage them to post their hate-filled vitriol. Bioware has done what it can by offering the report option. Sadly, they can't control or police every moment of the day.

More importantly, it is pretty arrogant of you to:

Claim erroneously that you speak for the LGBTQ+ community. I'm 52 years old (as of 6/21, where are my happy birthday wishes! :rak_03:). I've been out since college and was chair of the LGBTQ+ outreach program in graduate school and have been active in promoting our rights for three decades. Trust me, I don't have internalized homophopia. But you are doing more to hurt our community than help by encouraging and feeding trolls. They caught you hook, line, and sinker. All you have done is amplify their microphone and platform.

Report the bigoted trolls and move on. Bioware has openly embraced our community in a very proactive way -- both in game and out of game. They just can't be everywhere in general chat.

<<sips martini>>

:csw_jabba:

Dasty

Actually it's someone like you who is hurting our community, you don't give a flying fig about our youth otherwise you wouldn't be encouraging ignoring bigots and doing nothing about them nor would you be spewing the gaslighting bs that me engaging in trolls is the problem. I went to high school and was bullied for being gay, it wasn't my reaction the bullies wanted, it was the approval of their friends cause no matter how much IGNORED IT they kept going cause their friends were encouraging them, which is exactly what is going on in this game's chat, these bigots don't give a damn about LGBTQ+ who are reacting to their bigotry, they are looking for people to encourage it and they find them in this game.

Edited by DarthEnrique

We need a bigger ignore list for that.

It may be around 5 players on the time you first log in. Later it's going to be 5 different people. And later yet another 5. Ignore list fills up fast.

Yeah, I always put them on ignore, sometimes I report them. But it never ends as long as BW doesn't take action on their accounts. The playerbase shrinking with every "game improvement", I doubt they will.

And that's the problem cause I went on the game last night and went imp side and once again the conversation was there and it was a conversation between multiple people and they were talking about unaliving LGBTQ+ and why cause people were encouraging them to talk like that. But no me engaging them is the problem. Honestly a good majority of the replies in this telling me what to do instead of looking at EA who needs to fix the problem is ridiculous. So tired of people who aren't actually contributing to this post to help fix the issue, just telling someone what to do as if that's magically gonna make this all go away.

And that's the problem cause I went on the game last night and went imp side and once again the conversation was there and it was a conversation between multiple people and they were talking about unaliving LGBTQ+ and why cause people were encouraging them to talk like that. But no me engaging them is the problem. Honestly a good majority of the replies in this telling me what to do instead of looking at EA who needs to fix the problem is ridiculous. So tired of people who aren't actually contributing to this post to help fix the issue, just telling someone what to do as if that's magically gonna make this all go away.

Look, if you want EA to pay attention, you're going to have to make noise outside of the game.

I hate to say it, but that's the simple truth.

Screenshots....Twitter....certain people in charge...

Maybe you get traction...maybe you don't.

The individual people you see in chat whom you have issues with aren't going to change.

It seems there's no money, at this point in time, to hire people to police the chat.

Some people, not even involved in those types of conversation, may not even want "policed" chat and that's also something the powers that be need to take into account.

It's a business.

it's about money.

That's what drives decisions.

Sorry to say, not feelings.

This topic or any others....from chat about a former dictator who wiped out 6 million of a certain group of people 75+ years ago to what you're going through today.

Actually it's someone like you who is hurting our community, you don't give a flying fig about our youth otherwise you wouldn't be encouraging ignoring bigots and doing nothing about them nor would you be spewing the gaslighting bs that me engaging in trolls is the problem. I went to high school and was bullied for being gay, it wasn't my reaction the bullies wanted, it was the approval of their friends cause no matter how much IGNORED IT they kept going cause their friends were encouraging them, which is exactly what is going on in this game's chat, these bigots don't give a damn about LGBTQ+ who are reacting to their bigotry, they are looking for people to encourage it and they find them in this game.

If you think you can enlighten an anonymous troll and protect our younglings from someone -- someone who got exactly the reaction they wanted from you on a Star Wars game forum / general chat...

May the Force with you.

<<sips martini>>

Dasty:csw_jabba:

Edited by Jdast

toxic/hate speech is everywhere. to think that EA, a video game company is going to be able to effectively tackle this issue... is a pipe dream. so yes we have the power to do what we can (ignore and move on). and don't compare hate speech in person and online. In person even if we "ignore" someone, their words are still heard by the individual and can affect us. Now if we're online we can actually ignore someone and never have to see or read their hate filled speech.

everyone has a personal responsibility to themselves, to do everything in their power to take care of themselves. we cannot rely on others to do it for us.

Edited by CrazyScruffy

So people are still avoiding the issues and continuing to tell me what to do instead of listening and suggestion a solution that doesn't fix the problem.

There have been two legitimate counterpoints made to people who are only here to argue and put me down for making this post and those are:

1. The ignore list limit.
  2. Free speech is a moot argument as it only applies to the government regulating free speech, not MMOs, businesses, a person's private home, etc.

Now constructive contributions to this conversation that actually would help solve this issue that has been suggested is:

1. Extending the ignore list limit.
  2. EA monitoring the chats.

Another solution that actually contributes to the conversation and could help fix this issue, is giving an option to completely remove the general chat in the game like with the PVP chat where you can uncheck the PVP chat and it no longer shows up.

Edited by DarthEnrique

No one is going to get paid to read 12 general chats from the swtor servers x however many instances.

You think you're upset.

Every time I log imp fleet there's a minimum of 1 person roleplaying jar jar binks demanding attention. Often more.

Imagine the suffering by making it someones job to read that.

What you get is a chat filter option, a report option and ignore functions in basically every mmo out there. Some mmos don't even give the chat filter option, they decide what words you're allowed to say and that's it for everyone.

So people are still avoiding the issues and continuing to tell me what to do instead of listening and suggestion a solution that doesn't fix the problem.

There have been two legitimate counterpoints made to people who are only here to argue and put me down for making this post and those are:

2. Free speech is a moot argument as it only applies to the government regulating free speech, not MMOs, businesses, a person's private home, etc.

Now constructive contributions to this conversation that actually would help solve this issue that has been suggested is:

Another solution that actually contributes to the conversation and could help fix this issue, is giving an option to completely remove the general chat in the game like with the PVP chat where you can uncheck the PVP chat and it no longer shows up.

I choose EA monitoring the chats more. Of course, we know that is highly unlikely given limited resources.

Dasty:csw_jabba:

Edited by Jdast

The issue at hand is that EAware does nothing to police the community. If they did, would they lose some money in the short term? Absolutely. But if they do, it might attract more people or encourage them to have more fun in more creative ways, and spend more money on CCs and direct sales because they would feel safer in expressing themselves in whatever fashion they would like.

Eliminating toxicity protects everyone, not just any one segment. There's just too much hate proliferating in general. Ignoring a problem only enables it to grow. At some point, either you take a stand or it will grow into something that will tear a community apart. Just look at what's going on in RL and you can see what hate and divisiveness has done.

You have a right to believe whatever you want. However, you do not have the right to force your views onto someone else. You can attempt to persuade, but do so in a respectful manner.

Asking for a cleaner general chat or public chat channels is not a lot to ask for. A little investment can go a long way.

So the question to all of you is do you want to be a part of the problem, or part of the solution?

I'm not here to put you down for your post, but as other posters said, you are not doing any favor to the LGBT community by asking EA/BW to censor everyone who does not agree with you.

You have to understand something, no one is asking you to be an emotionless droid, but you have always the option to not let yourself be affected by what the people say in general chat. Who are they to you? Nobody! You don't have to play with them, talk to them, interact in any way with them.

Maybe if you would just stop being so weird about it people would just stop, or at the very least it wouldn't bother you. Clearly you have issues and the things they said got to you, how about you just come to terms with the fact that even though it is accepted it is not normalized yet. Just take the joke, or if it is too low for you just ignore them. Why do you even read fleet chat at this point? You do realize you can turn it off and just look at it when you want to / have a reason to?

I just hate it when people use being a minority as a shield, yeah of course people are going to make jokes at your expense. Especially in a online game! It's a game, stop making everything about politics, I'm here to enjoy myself not read this "ugh the <insert any community here> is being misrepresented or harassed" just shut up and ignore them.

If being in the LGBT community brings down your self confidence by so much that you get this mad about people typing BS in general chat... idk man, wouldn't be anything I'd enjoy. And it's not people saying harsh things, why would you care what they think if you were happy with your current situation.

IDK how it is in the US, but were I live nobody cares if you are gay or not, BUT ONLY as long as you are not being annoying about it and use it as a shield at the first sign of sarcasm coming your way.

Edited by ZUHFB

this remembers me from the same problem we got few years ago only back then it was more toxicity then now.

so i think the OP most do the same thing we have done back then since open a thread on the forum is not going to help at all.

back then there was only 1 solution that was going to work against then and its still going to work against then.

thats report then the same why we have done it back then and still are doing it.

if you report then for harassment the chat log will be make with the text from it and sent to the GM's and if its against the rule's then its bye bye for then.

thats the only solution and fix.

it has work good few years ago so why not keep using it if some trolls think there are funny with it.

and to make a thread about it is not going to work at all.

One of the reasons people haven't suggested this is that you can *already*, right now, in the game as it stands, uncheck "General" in the same place that you uncheck "PVP" or whatever.(1) Have they broken that?

(1) Yes, there's a tab called "General" by default. Its name matters not at all. You can, indeed, uncheck "General" for that tab, and have a tab called "General" that doesn't show General chat.

It's already been pointed out repeatedly what to do: Ignore and Report. The people doing it usually are doing it for the attention, rather than some sort of political agenda. It's been shown over the years that Bioware/EA isn't going to be proactive in regards to "toxicity"; especially since different people have different definitions of what "toxic" is.

I'm Autistic. Should I demand that all "dumb" jokes be censored out, because it might be "toxic" to me?

Do people who think LGBTQ+ is wrong are any less deserving than you in expressing their options/beliefs? It's rather clear from your posts that you feel the answer to be "yes". As others have also pointed out: repeatedly shoving your option into other people's faces tends to turn them off rather than win them over.

Reporting is largely ineffective is the problem. 24 hour squelches and multiple 7 days bans have proven ineffective. A ban should actually mean something. If it's just a handful of people then it shouldn't matter if they are lost as a subscriber. So get rid of them.

I'd like to see the reports get reviewed and processed quickly, and for the penalties to be steep enough to discourage repeat behavior.

As for people just saying "ignore them":

* There's a limit to how many people we can ignore.

* It's a pain to stop what we're doing and ignore yet more people every night we visit Fleet.

* A toxic Fleet is a major turn-off for new players.

* Adults can take a step back, a deep breath, and simply /ignore. Kids play this game, too. They don't have the same emotional maturity level to deal with trolls.

As for people just saying "ignore them":

* There's a limit to how many people we can ignore.

Maybe they need to increase the limit, but I don’t think that’ll stop the people complaining about having their fweelings hurt. The people who are “ hurt” want the others who either disagree or are trolling them completely gone.

* It's a pain to stop what we're doing and ignore yet more people every night we visit Fleet.

It sounds like a you problem. I don’t mean to sound like a ***** when I say that but that’s how it is lol, I never have to stop what I’m doing for anyone in SWTOR unless I want to. You guys WANT to give the trolls more attention so here you are writing a whole forum about it instead of just ignoring the rude person and move on. Why are you giving them so much time??? There are always going to be trolls, and the fact that people need to be ignored every night may be an indicator that you need to grow some thicker skin.

* A toxic Fleet is a major turn-off for new players.

Sure. Maybe. Again it seems like a “you” issue where it’s a turn off to the people that don’t really have the tolerance for being insulted or trolled or joked with or whatever. Personally I don’t mind the chat people can do whatever they want I’m not the Arbiter of speech. I’ve seen people who’ve come from steam saying they gen chat is the highlight of the game for them, so who knows 😂

* Adults can take a step back, a deep breath, and simply /ignore. Kids play this game, too. They don't have the same emotional maturity level to deal with trolls.

Well kids shouldn’t be playing this at all. In fact I’m pretty sure the ToS says you need to be 18 to play, so that point is irrelevant. Parents need to start monitoring their kids.