Pls let force user play the smuggler storyline

Gromtosh

As title says i want to play the smuggler story as a force user, because it´s a cool story for a jedi in exile. I think many ppl think the same. It would be a massive upgrade to this game and gives much immersion for every starwars fan.

pls let´s do this xD

The Smuggler storyline is supposed to resemble the Han Solo story. It's supposed to be about blasters, luck, a starship, a rich princess and a wookiee. Some of the dialogue might seem strange if the character was a force user. There's also the story involving Guss Tuno that would seem out of place if the smuggler was a jedi in exile. It also wouldn't make sense how new abilities are learned since there isn't someone actually training the smuggler character in the ways of the force.

A Jedi in exile hasn´t used his skills for a time, maybe he has to fresh them up step by step, so there is no problem with getting spells. The story parts you talked about... i can´t remember any conflict situation. Do you have an example?

A Jedi in exile hasn´t used his skills for a time, maybe he has to fresh them up step by step, so there is no problem with getting spells. The story parts you talked about... i can´t remember any conflict situation. Do you have an example?

Guss is a former Jedi. He was recruited into the Order as a child. He pretended to be both a Sith Lord and Jedi Master.

The context of your conversations with Gus don't make sense if the Smuggler is also a former member of the Jedi Order.

You're best off just saying that your smuggler is a former Jedi who no longer uses the Force.

Edited by jedimasterjac

The Smuggler storyline is supposed to resemble the Han Solo story. It's supposed to be about blasters, luck, a starship, a rich princess and a wookiee. Some of the dialogue might seem strange if the character was a force user. There's also the story involving Guss Tuno that would seem out of place if the smuggler was a jedi in exile. It also wouldn't make sense how new abilities are learned since there isn't someone actually training the smuggler character in the ways of the force.

Explain "supposed to" regarding the origin of my favorite outfit, the Rishi pirate garb. There's no "supposed to" about it. If we can have pirate outfits in a Star Wars game, we can have Jedi running around wiggling their fingers while saving their hapless smuggler crew from themselves.

Edited by xordevoreaux

As title says i want to play the smuggler story as a force user, because it´s a cool story for a jedi in exile. I think many ppl think the same. It would be a massive upgrade to this game and gives much immersion for every starwars fan.

pls let´s do this xD

Well, if you look at the

, Guss' new master (after the Smuggler player character is put into carbonite at the onset of KOTFE), Isaac, says he was never even knighted, and takes an, let's say, unusual approach to seclusion as well as teaching. The timeframe of SWTOR isn't clearly exile, but it's not the heyday of the prequels either. Jedi are being gathered through the efforts of Task Force Nova, and there may be other ex-Jedi like Isaac out there, perhaps to be discovered by

the device collected by Malgus and stolen by Sa'har Kateen at the end of the Ruins of Nul flashpoint

but at the time of the vanilla class story introductions, the Jedi Order is rebuilding on Tython. Admittedly there may be Jedi who did not share Master Satele's desire to reflect on their failings and return to their roots, but we're not left with the sense that they are as scattered as they were later during the War with Zakuul's Eternal Empire. So, I guess its not incompatible with what we know of the Galactic Cold War (the beginning of the vanilla game) but to consider it a "cool story" is obviously a subjective statement.

Lore aside, I think that while it might be interesting if force users could play tech classes, there is for sure at least one logistical problem, that is, no cutscene for a Smuggler origin story (or any tech user) is designed with a Force user in mind. You claim,

It would be a massive upgrade to this game and gives much immersion for every starwars fan.

However, there is definitely a break in immersion if The Smuggler is using a lightsaber to fight various scumbags of the galaxy including but not limited to Skavak, and then suddenly using a pistol in cutscenes. This alone serves as direct contradiction to your statement. But perhaps more striking, no dialogue was ever recorded to indicate The Smuggler is a Force User, so the vanilla origin story would largely play out oblivious to the notion that The Smuggler is Force Sensitive, which may or may not break immersion as well. This would be noticeable during the smuggler story with Guss, and during Act 3 when The Smuggler is dealing with a Child of the Emperor or with Jedi Master Sumalee. Finally, and most egregiously, Emperor Valkorion and Arcann act surprised during KOTFE that someone like The Smuggler player character, who in your proposal hides from the Force, can influence the galaxy to such a degree. Surely, through invading The Smuggler's mind, Valkorion would know that The Smuggler was Force sensitive. In summary, there is just too much dialogue already written for the game that would interfere with your proposed storyline.

As far as it being a massive upgrade to the game, if you mean in terms of enjoyment, then that is clearly subjective, thus it may not be true for "many people." You indicate that it would be immersive for "every starwars fan," but if you look at the movies or even the Legends/EU books and video games, that's not necessarily true. Most stories involving more scandalous characters either show them as being reluctant heroes (Han Solo, Lando Calrissian) or embracing their latent Force-sensitivity (Kyle Katarn, Kanan Jarus). Fans don't seem to be overwhelmingly attracted to characters who continue to hide their Force talents. So, I would argue its a stretch to say this would appeal to "many people" or "every starwars fan."

Logistically, having tested combat styles on PTS in terms of playing the vanilla JK origin story with Shadow as my combat style, there was in fact very little difference in the way I felt playing the story. In fact, the only thing that was different was that I could reasonably skip a large number of the npc's on the way to story bits. So, being able to play through the vanilla Smuggler origin story as a Force user, especially given the fully voiced cinematic cutscene issues outlined above, isn't going to feel any different than it would playing through it as a Sniper, or Vanguard, or Mercenary, or any other tech user.

If you mean a massive upgrade in terms of the development time and effort, then I would agree with you, though that isn't necessarily a good thing. It would absolutely require a huge amounts of effort invested into a specific game feature. It's not all that different I guess from simply adding a new combat style, like a melee tech user or a Teras Kasi-type combat style. But there is no reason to suspect that game dialogue from the vanilla story would ever be revised to account for any new combat styles, let alone force users in tech Origin Stories. That being said, investment into game features that very few people will actually use is probably not wise when the current team has difficulty releasing a full featured expansion on time.

Edited by phalczen

Guss is a former Jedi. He was recruited into the Order as a child. He pretended to be both a Sith Lord and Jedi Master.

The context of your conversations with Gus don't make sense if the Smuggler is also a former member of the Jedi Order.

You're best off just saying that your smuggler is a former Jedi who no longer uses the Force.

Guss is just the first of many situations where if the smuggler was a force user, the story dialogue doesn't play along. Think about KotFE and KotET, dealing with Valkorian. Later you meet Tau and Arn and it's clear from the dialogue and choices that you aren't force sensitive.

Guss is just the first of many situations where if the smuggler was a force user, the story dialogue doesn't play along. Think about KotFE and KotET, dealing with Valkorian. Later you meet Tau and Arn and it's clear from the dialogue and choices that you aren't force sensitive.

Guss isn't even the *first* such situation. Think of the Tatooine segment of the class story, and how it would look if the smuggler is really a Force user...

(And Valkorion explicitly says, in so many words, "You cannot use the Force," during KotFE Chapter II. To say nothing of the stuff in KotFE Chapter XII...)

It's a counter-example I lay out whenever people trumpet that something should or should not be in the game.

There are (space) pirates in Star Wars. They appear in the old novels, the new novels, in video games, comics, in Clone Wars and other places. The Rishi outfit really isn't all that pirate-y outside of the wide brim hat.

As for my original comment, the story is written for a character that is not a force user. The OP mentioned "immersion." It's hard to argue that allowing the smuggler to be a force user would increase immersion in a story that repeatedly reminds the character that he or she is not a force user.

There are (space) pirates in Star Wars. They appear in the old novels, the new novels, in video games, comics, in Clone Wars and other places. The Rishi outfit really isn't all that pirate-y outside of the wide brim hat.

As for my original comment, the story is written for a character that is not a force user. The OP mentioned "immersion." It's hard to argue that allowing the smuggler to be a force user would increase immersion in a story that repeatedly reminds the character that he or she is not a force user.

A better choice for the OP probably would have been "choice" rather than "immersion", and is immersion absolute, that it can only constitute one set of strictures for all players, or relative, based on how any given player wishes to immerse one's self in the game?

Edited by xordevoreaux

A better choice for the OP probably would have been "choice" rather than "immersion", and is immersion absolute, that it can only constitute one set of strictures for all players, or relative, based on how any given player wishes to immerse one's self in the game?

The point is that multiple sections of dialogue break if your character is Force Sensitive, both in the Smuggler storyline and in expansion content, so I think that's harder to work around than an outfit that looks like a pirate's.

The point is that multiple sections of dialogue break if your character is Force Sensitive, both in the Smuggler storyline and in expansion content, so I think that's harder to work around than an outfit that looks like a pirate's.

If the player is willing to put up with that, to spacebar through that dialogue, who are we to say no?

Edited by xordevoreaux

I think this would be amazing! Maybe the force user can't do much with the force because they weren't trained, but I think a gunslinger who can force push enemies into walls would be cool.

Except that you wouldn't be a Gunslinger (in game-mechanical terms). You'd be a "Force Noob".(1)

Are you prepared to put up with the story repeatedly behaving as if you are not a Force User? And even *telling* you, repeatedly, that you aren't a Force User? (An untrained Force User is, nevertheless, a Force User.)

And, of course, the proposed idea, as described in the thread title, is backwards. It should be "Please make a Force-using combat style for gun-class origins".

(1) Note: I'm not trying to imply that BioWare would actually *call* this new Combat Style "Force Noob", although that *would* be funny.

Are you prepared to put up with the story repeatedly behaving as if you are not a Force User?

No worse than

Valkorian talking to my womanizing, drinking, card-playing, spice-running smuggler as an equal. "Yes, I've been following your progress, you're just like me, yes." My force wielder has grown ever stronger in the force over his lifetime. meanwhile, will the eventually arthritic trigger finger of my smuggler improve his accuracy with age? Valkorian's in for a disappointment when he figures that one out. Pushing gun toters through Kotet doesn't make any sense contextually in a story line so obviously the conclusion of the Jedi Knight's story.

Meaning we're already blinking away oddities in the story as given, so why not a force-using smuggler? And what dictates he has to be lousy at using the force? Just to satisfy someone's sense of balance? Not a requirement.

Edited by xordevoreaux

We can sit here and argue back and forth on issues of the absurd by rehashing other absurdities. One could argue that the force is always in control, using force sensitives and non-force sensitives, even to the point of using droids. It would be absurd to suggest a force-using droid, but not so absurd to suggest the force uses droids to achieve a means.

My intent here is not to get into a big philosophical debate about the force, about "The Ones" (from Mortis), the living force, the paradox (Marr), etc... but simply to offer the solution of using heroic moment.

Edited by BRKMSN

I´ve seen many different opinions and statements, but the best point in my eyes is this:

"My intent here is not to get into a big philosophical debate about the force, about "The Ones" (from Mortis), the living force, the paradox (Marr), etc... but simply to offer the solution of using heroic moment."

We all know that every Character is force sensitive because he could use the heroic moment. So there is no reason to exclude force-user from other stories. Thank you all for discussing this thread.