Galactic Seasons + PvP = A Bad Combo

TheRealKingCrazy

Same boat. My 6 month sub expires today. First time since 2016 I'm not renewing. I'm sanguine, however, that there will be reason to return for the 10th anniversary. I'm sure it will at least it will be worth $15 U.S.

Look, I get Bioware is a business and, as DawnA says, maybe it will work out that their current model is successful. Fair enough. First and foremost, companies need to make money. They obviously have a target demographic in mind. It is equally obvious, however, I'm not part of that demographic. Hey, if it makes the company money, maybe they will develop more story / solo / small group content; but don't ask me to subsidize that hope. Hope is for Princess Leia. :p

More broadly, I'm profoundly disappointed that the current development and communications team ignores what are obvious dogwhistles making fun of older gamers. Frankly, I don't think they even recognize us. Given their experience, they simply don't get it (hence why diversity matters). Apparently, I made the mistake of living (so far) to 50 and enjoy gaming. As such, however, we are ridiculed, we report it, and are consistently ignored. So much for diversity...Sorry for becoming a quinquagenerian. (FYI, to all the Discord trolls who slam me -- that the devs legitimize -- that means I sadly turned 50 last year.)

Assuming I'm not perma-banned, see you next December.

May the Force be with you.

Dasty the GenX-er who asked his great, great, great grandson to help sign off (WHERE'S THAT DANG ENTER KEY?)

<<sips martini>>

:csw_jabba:

sad to see ya go !!

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, to Suszi and Dasty (and anyone else who's finally throwing in the towel), sad to see you go. I'm in sort of the same boat - I finished my 55th orbit of the Sun back in March - and no, the direction that SWTOR is going is not good. I'll stick with it for now, because I *do* want to see the rest of the stories, and because I'm convinced there's still a good game in there, crying in a corner because the people who made it don't seem to love it any more.

Sorry. Keep on keeping on, as they say, and don't let the turkeys get you down!

I'll preface this post by apologising to the teams i'm get put on to finish my dailies and weekly PO, I suck something awful and wether I try or not I am a hindrance to you winning the match.

However, since I either keep doing this (constantly getting unranked or GS as Weeklies and Dailies) and keep losing or use Cartel Coins to complete my season then I am sorry but i'll take the losing matches and annoying people. You can thank the particular developer that wanted to pad his numbers by forcing pvp on purely pve people like myself.

You can say I have a choice to not do it, but like I said, spend CC or do something I don't want to do, i'll keep my coins thanks. I'm late to seasons so I need to maximise my daily and weekly point accumulation. I hope for all our sakes that next season they don't again try to pad their GS and PvP numbers on paper by forcing (yes, forcing, i'm not spending coins to unlock levels, and everytime I reroll I get GS or PvP) people to play content they absolutely don't want to do.

Again, sorry to the people whose teams I get placed on but I either annoy you or spend CC, so remember to thank the people responsible. Luckily I only have to do 1 or 2 matches a day and 3 total per week.

Not sure why I can still forum post but I let my account sub run out a couple of days ago, first time in 6+ years.

Devs ignoring what people actually want eventually wears you down to just giving up entirely. Not even sure they care about people speaking with their wallets anymore but thats what I did anyways.

Majority of the community here is great, a shame the games on going development isn't equally so.

Wish you all luck <3

I'm also sad to see you and Dasty go. :(

I've also cancelled my second account because I don't want to pay for something I don't enjoy anymore, and finding things to do in game has become more and more difficult. The last end game content that has kept me busy was conquest, but since most of my alts are lvl 75, there is not much I can do with those that I would enjoy.

- Conquest fps only count if you do them on MM and I have zero interest grouping up with pugs from the current playerbase.

- Reputation, legacy leveling, renown ranks etc. none of those count for conquest after you've capped them.

- Crafting was totally nuked.

- Heroics are still not infinitely repeatable while all other game modes have several inifinitely repeatable objectives.

- And the last coffin in the nail was the refund timer change: I can no longer store fragments to use them on weekend at Kai Zykken because of the low cap, which has made it impossible for me to even play the game 3 days per week other than progression raiding. It's weekend now, but when I log in and look at the cq objectives list, even heroics don't interest me anymore. I have nothing to do because all the things I used to do in game have been nerfed or nuked to oblivion. I used to spend hours per day playing, now I barely log in.

- GS is mostly offering boring insect hunt, pvp or gsf. I think would be more truthful to change the name of the game to Star Wars: The GSF, because that seems to be the only thing that matters anymore, and the only game mode that still gives most rewards to whoever plays them.

I still have my main account subbed because of my raid team, but they are the only reason I'm still playing: the people - not the game. And half of my raid team is just as bored and disappointed as I am, so I don't know how long that will last.

Man some drama queens here....Just do your 3 pvp missions, try to enjoy it the best you can, so you'll get farmed for 3 matches... big deal. Pvp players are sometimes getting stuck with an operation, so it balances out, they can't please everyone.

Take a week off, we got 4-5 months to finish it, OR just re-roll your weekly and hope you don't get the autocomplete whammy bug.

Pvp is the quickest weekly galactic seasons missions we get, that fact alone makes it tolerable.

Edited by CyorReco

Man some drama queens here....Just do your 3 pvp missions, try to enjoy it the best you can, so you'll get farmed for 3 matches... big deal. Pvp players are sometimes getting stuck with an operation, so it balances out, they can't please everyone.

Indeed, they can't please everyone, but they seem to have succeeded (again) at *dis*pleasing everyone.

And no, "just put up with it, it doesn't take long" isn't the right way to go about this. Jobs are like that, but SWTOR is a game, something we do for *fun*.

Players are avoiding PvP after the latest changes to the reward system. How does BW fix that? By reverting to the previous rules? No, now requiring it for their newest reward system. I have pooh-poohed all of the Chicken Littles that said the game was going to be shut down in six months but with the doubling/tripling down on recycling old content, horrible dev decisions, community non-management and non-response, the growing bug list that never gets fixed even after years (but spending time to program worthless reward systems), if the trends continue I may soon be one of the CLs wondering if SWTOR will make it to 2022.

Players are avoiding PvP after the latest changes to the reward system. How does BW fix that? By reverting to the previous rules? No, now requiring it for their newest reward system. I have pooh-poohed all of the Chicken Littles that said the game was going to be shut down in six months but with the doubling/tripling down on recycling old content, horrible dev decisions, community non-management and non-response, the growing bug list that never gets fixed even after years (but spending time to program worthless reward systems), if the trends continue I may soon be one of the CLs wondering if SWTOR will make it to 2022.

You’re not the only sane poster who is starting to wonder that.

Must be a drama queen then...

I hate PvP and the idea of getting ganked just to get a couple of GS points is a waste of my time,

not to mention the time of people who enjoy PvP.

Sure they get easy kills but is it fun for them?

Doubt it.

Wouldn't be for me....

I actually thought about doing some unranked matches today on Darth Malgus as I was leveling up a toon enough to by the first Pub side stronghold.

Maybe if I go into the middle of the map and /sit I'll enjoy it more than what the OP went through.

What I've gone through in the past too.

I would recommend to players who dislike PvP or GSI matches simply not play them. Their bad attitudes are infecting the matches, the forums, guilds, gen chat, and overall moral. I think players who are complaining so bitterly here on forums need to take a time out. If they spend their time playing an activity that they don't like, and they do it repeatedly, I think they need to have a talk with themselves and not come on the forums and cry to others about it.. Edited by MotorCityMan

I would recommend to players who dislike PvP or GSI matches simply not play them. Their bad attitudes are infecting the matches, the forums, guilds, gen chat, and overall moral. I think players who are complaining so bitterly here on forums need to take a time out. If they spend their time playing an activity that they don't like, and they do it repeatedly, I think they need to have a talk with themselves and not come on the forums and cry to others about it..

so...only say nice happy things on the forums? forums aren't the place for negative feedback about the game experience?

I have no particular interest in any of the GS rewards and I don't bother with daily/weekly GS objectives.

if, however, I did have an interest in those rewards, I would be rather vexed at having to ever set foot in GSF. it's a gawd-awful game. good for you if you love it. I hate it. others feel that way about traditional pvp.

I have less sympathy for ppl crying about having to do OPs or FPs, but that's because any sort of PVP is entirely synthetic to the nature of an MMORPG. RPGs are not PVP. it happens that the most successful MMORPG did spawn out of a PVP RTS (WoW), but that's a real quirk. I'm not saying get rid of PVP. I like PVP. I'm saying that pushing players into PVP/GSF who are only interested in PVE for rewards that have no intrinsic relation to PVP is a pretty bad idea.

the TL;DR of the following dev quote is that BW is purposely funneling players who don't want to play various parts of the game into them by attaching arbitrary rewards (rewards that have no intrinsic relationship to the particular game mode) in an attempt to bolster the population for those game modes. Here's the quote:

While we are on the topic of PvP, we are aware of the questions regarding the future of PvP and what that looks like.

We briefly touched on some of the longer-term plans in a post last fall <link>. Our overall goal for PvP is to support modes that accommodate safe, healthy competition. We believe that if we can do this, we can encourage more players to try out PvP and foster a growing, positive community. The more players we have playing PvP modes, the better quality the experience becomes overall. As a result, queue times are reduced and matchmaking algorithms have more players in the pool to work with. To get there, we have been working on what the future of PvP could look like.

We have made great progress here, and laid out a couple of initiatives in-line with the transition. First, we’re keeping the existing Seasonal structure and rewards plan through Season 14 to allow us the time to finish our exploration and implement the next version of PvP. Next, we’ve been gathering feedback from the community on what sort of changes you would like to see. We are exploring things like map voting/selection, accounting for classes in matchmaking, tighter brackets in matchmaking, and the reward structures in all of the current ranked and unranked modes.

Thank you all for your continued feedback!

please note the last line (bold is mine). they want feedback. that includes feedback, which this thread is full of, from people who deeply resent or dislike the new "system." so telling ppl not to complain about GS requirements in the forums is, quite frankly, wrong.

Edited by CheesyEZ

I would recommend to players who dislike PvP or GSI matches simply not play them. Their bad attitudes are infecting the matches, the forums, guilds, gen chat, and overall moral. I think players who are complaining so bitterly here on forums need to take a time out. If they spend their time playing an activity that they don't like, and they do it repeatedly, I think they need to have a talk with themselves and not come on the forums and cry to others about it..

No I would recommend that ALL players that do not like PvP join ALL pvp matches just to piss off the PVPers. I will gladly mess up all the PvP I can since BW insists on making me PvP.

Call it my revenge for PvPers screwing up PvE play in the game. If you don't like it complain to BW.... I don't care.

I would probably not finish the season if I had to skip pvp and GSF. Don't blame the players, blame Bioware.

Also... it's faster and less frustrating to do a GSF match than compete with 20 other people to do dailies on Yavin, for example. Unfortunately I still don't really have a clue about what I'm doing, getting ship requisitions is super slow and my ship still sucks after about 15 matches... so yeah I'm dragging down my team, but i still enjoy it.

PvP, it totally depends on the team/map. I might be a noob but I do ok and I get very frustrated by people randomly fighting others instead of working towards the goal, for example...

But IMO the whole thing is completely unbalanced and needs to be redone, so it doesn't frustrate everyone. That means letting people pick the type of missions they want to do (pvp, gsf, pve) AND balance the missions so they take about the same time - and that includes more diversified pve missions so you don't end up competing with 20 people for spawns.

Players have a right to express their feed back to BioWare on the forums. Especially when said feed back is asked for.

If you dislike what they have to say, just ignore it and move on. Their feed back is not hurting you in anyway and it’s not directed at you.

this is a great post, I am not a huge fan of gsf and if I get it as an activity I reroll or simply don't do it, I hope that people with similar concerns about pvp (or other group activities) are able to make similar decisions, obsessing so much over pixelated rewards that you compulsively do activities you don't enjoy in a game you pay to play? I dunno, that seems strange

that said, the forums is meant for people to complain at to avoid it being spread in multiple different platforms and channels, people should be allowed to say what they think, even if its not very well thought through

No I would recommend that ALL players that do not like PvP join ALL pvp matches just to piss off the PVPers. I will gladly mess up all the PvP I can since BW insists on making me PvP.

Call it my revenge for PvPers screwing up PvE play in the game. If you don't like it complain to BW.... I don't care.

and people wonder why the developers are more hesitant to communicate through the forums over other platforms, heh

Edited by RikuvonDrake

and people wonder why the developers are more hesitant to communicate through the forums over other platforms, heh

You still get silly responses on Discord too. The difference is you guys have live moderation and you take steps pretty quickly to remove offending materials.

If BioWare could afford live mods 24/7 on the forums (and in the game), maybe the feed back and discussions wouldn’t devolve as much.

Yeah but people who want the unlocks will keep doing them as there is no other option.

Not me, no interest in PvP or GSF.

By trying to get people to PvP they are forcing players on you who don't care about results.

Just there for the Daily / Weekly.

Yes, it has become very clear that people who don't like pvp or gsf are not welcome in this game anymore. But as long as we pay our subs, we are allowed to have an opinion about the status of the game. If you have a problem with that, you need to take it to BW. This is how they want things to be, it's not the player's fault. I'm pretty sure most of us would rather do something we enjoy instead.

^^ This.

Pvp and especially gsf players had some huge complaint campaigns here against all other game modes, until everything else was nuked or heavily nerfed. They got what they wanted, and now they are unhappy that people dare to complain they don't enjoy the game anymore... I guess it must be really uncomfortable for them to still get to play the content they enjoy, and deal with the anger of players who've been seriously let down by BW, players who's content has been made worthless for CQ and GS, even though we pay the same amount of money to sub. How dare we.

Surely at this point the devs can accept requiring people to do content they don't like to get the new shiny (no matter how actually pointless that shiny turns out to be) doesn't make anyone happy.

The idea that by requiring people to play the content they may find it enjoyable is equally flawed, if they would find it enjoyable it shouldn't take requiring them to play it as a means to get them interested. Really you want to get people into GSF have a very low level very limited ship (fighters and scouts maybe) entry match where people aren't getting one shot-ed or owned by much better ships/pilots. Same goes for ground pvp offer one of the more interesting maps with balanced lowbie teams. Requiring people to play 3 or 4 times a week isn't making then find it fun its punishing them for not sitting in the corner and going out for a smoke.

If GSF and PVP isn't enjoyable to the majority of people stop requiring that content to be played and perhaps focus on the content that the customers do enjoy. If people come here for solo story and companions offer solo story and companions. Yet we constantly see the development team determined to make the game about group and pvp play. Want to farm renown fast, its Hammer Station or PvP for you, want the best augments its ranked pvp or master mode operation for you. If people want to play that content great but you shouldn't make it a requirement, that content should stand on its own so people want to play it not just because it offers the easiest path to some shiny. And if people wouldn't play it without the shiny then maybe put the focus onto content people do want to play and don't have to be bribed to take part in.

Edited by Costello

Surely at this point the devs can accept requiring people to do content they don't like to get the new shiny (no matter how actually pointless that shiny turns out to be) doesn't make anyone happy.

Good thing nobody is "forced" or " required" to do anything then!

Content such as "kill 75 mobs or "[do a pile of heroics]" is fairly boring or irrelevant to me, so I sometimes just skip it. So what is the terrible thing that happens to me now? BW gonna come to my house and make sure I do my daily GS or what?People keep saying "required" or " forced" so surely it has got to be something like this?

Already even these forums have tons and tons of "I always hated pvp, tried it for the 1st time in 8 years cause of GS and actually had fun!" type of stuff. Undeniably GS has rejunevated game quite a bit for quite a few. Game now feels bit more fresh for many people. How impossible is the notion of just being..you know, happy for them? Imagine how much game quite literally expands for somebody who discovers, say, GSF or PvP cause of GS.

Edited by Stradlin

Well OP, I don't usually do flashpoints and now when I have to do that weekly I apologise at start for unintentially pulling mobs that seasoned fp players will skip around with ease. Its painful for them and for me but there we go! I think we are all going to have to just suck it up by the looks of things!

The idea that by requiring people to play the content they may find it enjoyable is equally flawed, if they would find it enjoyable it shouldn't take requiring them to play it as a means to get them interested. Really you want to get people into GSF have a very low level very limited ship (fighters and scouts maybe) entry match where people aren't getting one shot-ed or owned by much better ships/pilots. Same goes for ground pvp offer one of the more interesting maps with balanced lowbie teams. Requiring people to play 3 or 4 times a week isn't making then find it fun its punishing them for not sitting in the corner and going out for a smoke.

If GSF and PVP isn't enjoyable to the majority of people stop requiring that content to be played and perhaps focus on the content that the customers do enjoy. If people come here for solo story and companions offer solo story and companions. Yet we constantly see the development team determined to make the game about group and pvp play. Want to farm renown fast, its Hammer Station or PvP for you, want the best augments its ranked pvp or master mode operation for you. If people want to play that content great but you shouldn't make it a requirement, that content should stand on its own so people want to play it not just because it offers the easiest path to some shiny. And if people wouldn't play it without the shiny then maybe put the focus onto content people do want to play and don't have to be bribed to take part in.

Exactly. If certain content isn't played for whatever reason by the majority of the players, it means there is something wrong with it. Instead of forcing or bribing people to play it, they should think what's wrong with it, and why people don't want to play it, and then fix the problem. All they do with these kind of decisions is create resentment and rifts between different parts of the community. It's such a shame that a game where everyone used to have something to do has been turned into GSF fanclub and those fans spit on everyone else. Ironically, it's the only game mode where you don't need skill, don't need gear, not even brains, and it gives massive free participation points - for doing nothing. It's a joke, a really bad joke. There would be so much nice, challenging content and people will miss all that because of that brain dead game mode is taking up their time now. And despite all the effortless, free participation rewards, people still don't want to play it. That should tell the devs something...

Good thing nobody is "forced" or " required" to do anything then!

Content such as "kill 75 mobs or "[do a pile of heroics]" is fairly boring or irrelevant to me, so I sometimes just skip it. So what is the terrible thing that happens to me now? BW gonna come to my house and make sure I do my daily GS or what?People keep saying "required" or " forced" so surely it has got to be something like this?

Already even these forums have tons and tons of "I always hated pvp, tried it for the 1st time in 8 years cause of GS and actually had fun!" type of stuff. Undeniably GS has rejunevated game quite a bit for quite a few. Game now feels bit more fresh for many people. How impossible is the notion of just being..you know, happy for them? Imagine how much game quite literally expands for somebody who discovers, say, GSF or PvP cause of GS.

I did explain what it was required for, the new shiny.

You can either do the content or spent real money to move up the scoreboard. So you are required to do content you don't like if you want to participate in the Galactic Season, now you can spend real money but you can pay someone to play the game for you if that is a route you wish to take so can't really be seen as a viable alternative.

As we are in a thread saying PvP in Galactic Season is bad, perhaps you can find the multitudes of players saying thanks to Galactic Seasons they took part on PvP/GSF and loved it and are now having a blast doing PvP. I can't recall seeing more than one or two and I'm not sure in all honesty that they never tried GSF or PvP and it was only Galactic Seasons that got them into it. Come on you would give it a go if you were that way inclined, rather than wait until people are joining matches and then just wanting them completed for their points not caring who wins.

I'm also not sure where your figures that its revitalizing the game, if you could point to the figures. Last 3 warzones I was required to compete in were all arena's we killed the other side without a loss and so the second round they didn't even bother. I was playing our teams healer and they didn't even bother to try and attack me, I think only one of them was even fighting back each time. From a metric that might be a great thing, maybe my team came away cheering but it was not a success and that we had to wait so long for a 4v4 it doesn't seem the revitalized player base is pvping.

Edited by Costello

I did explain what is was required for, the new shiny.

And it has been explained, with maths, more than once that no, one does not have to do PVP or GSF to reach level 100, and yet people keep pushing this narrative because... I do not know why. Maybe because it makes them feel justified in putting all this energy into hating it.