Difference Between Base Abilities of Jedi Knight and Jedi Consular

Behemothrex

Hey Guys,

OG player here but have not played for years. I am having a hard time trying to understand what is the base difference between Jedi Knight and Jedi Consular.

I am not talking about specializatiuons like Sage, Guardian, etc.

I want to know what are the base abilities for Knight vs Consular, I can't seem to find the info anyplace.

Is there any site that shows you the core abilities for each class?

Is Knight focused more on melele and Consular more on ranged?

I have created both classes, but even in game it doesn't tell you on the character screen if you are a Knight or Consular, it just says Knight.

Thanks for any help, its great to be back!

Mechanically there is no difference, Knight / Consular are the class-stories you can pick for a Jedi, one made for a martial artist, the other for a force-adept diplomat. There are no abilities connected to the classes anymore.

Before 7.0, Sentinel and Guardian were the sub-classes of the Knight, and a Consular could only be a Shadow or Sage. Those pairs used to have some shared base-class abilities, but that's old news. Now class story is independent from gameplay mechanics.

Just don't be surprised, when your Consular-Sentinel very rarely uses his lightsabers in cutscenes.

Edited by Mubrak

Buckle up, you've been gone for awhile.

At launch, Knight and Consular were "Base Classes" from which you could later pick 2 thematic advanced classes (Sentinel/Guardian for Knight, Shadow/Sage for Consular)

Knight had Saber combat skills (leap, sweep, Master strike, etc...). You followed the Jedi Knight story

Consular had force powers and like maybe 2 lightsaber skills ( TK throw, Project, Etc...) You followed the Jedi Consular Story

Sentinel granted the dual Saber skills and camo,

Guardian granted the tanky defensive skills

, sage granted healing and heavier ranged attacks,

shadow granted stealth, tanks skills, and double bladed Saber

--‐---‐----—-----------—------------—-----------—-----------—‐----------

Years later, the base classes were eliminated as starting choices, and you immediately chose Advanced classes at character creation.

Still, if you chose Guardian/Sentinel, you would play the Knight Story, and vice versa

Mechanically, in the skills panel, you'd have one tab for "Sage" with the Sage unique abilities and discipline unlocks, and there would be a much smaller "Consular" tab that held a remnant of the base class skills common to both Sage and Shadow

It remained this way through 6.X

--‐---‐----—-----------—------------—-----------—-----------—‐----------

NOW! We are in game build 7.0

Base Classes locked to two specific Adv classes are a thing of the past.

Knight and Consular are now "Origin Stories"

There are NO associated skills with Origin Story

It defines:

-Starting Story (Ch 1-3)

-your personal starship (no combat difference, just aesthetics)

-Your 5 initial companions (linked to the story naturally)

Sage/Guardian/Shadow/Sentinel are now "Combat Styles"

They define:

-Available combat skills

-Required gear

-discipline ability trees (roles, IE Tank/burst dps/DoT dps)

Combat Styles may be selected by any similar Origin Story (Jedi origins pick from the 4 jedi styles, tech origins pick from the 8 tech styles, sith origins pick from the 4 sith styles. **Jedi and Sith can pick the opposite alignment style if the legacy has light V or Dark V on a character. [Example: My sith warrior origin can select Jedi Guardian style if I have the Light V on my legacy])

So, the only difference between. Knight Guardian and a Consular Guardian is the voice actor and initial story.

If you made the unfortunate choice of making such a character creation, you have two characters that play exactly the same.

That being said, Subscribers have the option of selecting a 2nd Combat Style* that can be swapped to when you're in a safe area. Tired of playing Guardian? Select Shadow or Sentinel or Sage (or Marauder, Assassin, Sorcerer!)

*The selection of a 2nd style is permanent. You can still swap between your original style and the 2nd, but you can't go back and change your 2nd style to something else.

Hopefully this overlong reply helps to clear up some of your confusion and get you back on your feet

OG player here but have not played for years. I am having a hard time trying to understand what is the base difference between Jedi Knight and Jedi Consular

Is Knight focused more on melele and Consular more on ranged?

Basically, the Jedi Knight is a melee class and the skills revolve around doing direct damage with lightsabers.

A Consular is a ranged class and the skills revolve around 'force' powers and AoE.

So basically, if you like to jump in and 'hack & slash', the Knight is the one for you. If you like to hang back and attack from range, go Consular.

🙂

WOW!

Night-Runner thank you for that explination, I had a feeling it was something like that but all the info I could find was usually very old.

Luckily I have not created two of the same advanced classes on a Knight and Consular.

I have basically been trying to decide on a class to go through the main story again with. I have most classes to level 16 and off the first tutorial planet.

My style seems to be more ranged so I think it will be Consular for me for the Jedi and I have been having a blast playing Arsenal Merc.

I assume there was a server, merge or company sale sometime in the past as all my OG toons are gone. Oh well I am having fun reliving the story from the start. And I did subscribe for one month (at least) to unlock all expansions.

Thanks for all the answer guys and now I can start to focus on figuring out my main.

I have basically been trying to decide on a class to go through the main story again with. I have most classes to level 16 and off the first tutorial planet.

There are eight main stories if you include the start-to-Corellia class story as part of the main story. There are detail differences (usually just dialogue oddments) scattered throughout the unified story that follows. (And both the Ilum and Rise of the Hutt Cartel (Makeb) story segments are significantly different between the two factions.)

My style seems to be more ranged so I think it will be Consular for me for the Jedi and I have been having a blast playing Arsenal Merc.

If, by "Consular", you mean "Sage", sure. Nothing stops you playing the Knight story with Sage as your initial combat style. (Sage is the ranged style among the four Jedi styles.)

I assume there was a server, merge or company sale sometime in the past as all my OG toons are gone. Oh well I am having fun reliving the story from the start. And I did subscribe for one month (at least) to unlock all expansions.

Not a sale. EA has owned BioWare since before SWTOR was released.

There were two rounds of merges, one shortly after release (because they hugely over-provisioned the server list), and one in 2017 that reduced us to two in North America (both in the same datacentre, somewhere in Virginia I believe) and three in Europe (all hosted in Dublin, Ireland).

Your characters should be on one of those five servers, and the number should be indicated on the server-select screen. If not, then I'm not sure what happened. The chances of all their names being intact are ... slim. Not impossible, but not very likely.

Thanks for all the answer guys and now I can start to focus on figuring out my main.

Good luck!