Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

My first Ranked PvP season in ANY MMO, any big brain advice walking into it?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > PvP
My first Ranked PvP season in ANY MMO, any big brain advice walking into it?

SoundPulserino
04.30.2021 , 06:36 PM | #1
Im about 15 matches into my first season, Im currently around 1050, which I hear is incredibly low, but to be expected honestly. I can accept it
But id sorta like to improve? By the end of the session I pretty much enjoyed it overall so I thought I try to see where I can improve on. Im currently rocking my sage healer in these matches and getting advice by ear during these matches (along with being flamed but we dont talk about that)
Im not sure if there are any relevant PvP guides for SWTOR in its current state, but any and all advice would be very much appreciated

foxmob
04.30.2021 , 07:16 PM | #2
watch streams.

unfortunately, I don't know of any healer streamers, but cease (actually_cease on twitch, iirc) will answer questions in his stream if you ask about what he's doing to sage healers. he tanks and dpses.

it's easier for someone to respond to you when they can do it via voice like a twitch stream, and streamers can do it during down time or while actually engaged in the matches. more likely to get longer replies.

iunno if any of the others I followed are active these days.
Krack

Sappharan
04.30.2021 , 08:07 PM | #3
Quote: Originally Posted by SoundPulserino View Post
Im about 15 matches into my first season, Im currently around 1050, which I hear is incredibly low, but to be expected honestly. I can accept it
But id sorta like to improve? By the end of the session I pretty much enjoyed it overall so I thought I try to see where I can improve on. Im currently rocking my sage healer in these matches and getting advice by ear during these matches (along with being flamed but we dont talk about that)
Im not sure if there are any relevant PvP guides for SWTOR in its current state, but any and all advice would be very much appreciated
"Incredibly low..." Mmm, not so sure. I think I saw someone at 700 or so once (not in game, though).

Fox is right. Cease is VERY helpful. In point of fact, he's stated in his streams that he enjoys helping people. He's helped me a number of times. He WANTS players to be more knowledgeable and pay well because it makes the games more enjoyable.

Sappharan
04.30.2021 , 08:13 PM | #4
FWIW, I intend to start my first real ranked season tuesday (when AC is turned on in my place...long, boring story), and I expect I will be down in the 1ks as well. Now, I watched a GOLD player dip into the 1100s last season, so 1ks is not as bad as you might think. Furthermore, he rose to gold later on. Not entirely sure, but I think he mentioned it was his first season. He is an amazing player of course, but the takeaway is that it can happen to anyone, even the best.

The seasons are long, so keep positive and try your best. Ignore the s and just play to have fun and hopefully advance your rating.

Good luck.

BonnerFett
05.01.2021 , 09:34 PM | #5
Mark Biggs, Cease and Krea.

Warrioroffhell
05.01.2021 , 09:52 PM | #6
try also n1ghtrain , neyorus , aqrius , colaswtor and cerasi42 on DM , i myself stream from time to time but more merc dps/heal and occasional slinger/sent
Burningyou and alts @ Darth Malgus

septru
05.01.2021 , 11:43 PM | #7
I agree with all the streamers that have been listed. All of them are good starts.

1k-1.2k is a good starting place for new ranked players. I have a couple of new friends who I am helping out right now who are also in that range. Don't worry about elo in your first season. Play for experience: learning your class, learning solo ranked metas, learning other classes, learning strats... ect.

I recommend queing as a dps. You will get raged at less. Bad healers are extremely noticeable. Bad dps are less so.

Nevertheless, you will get flamed. Expect toxicity. Just don't make the same mistakes over again. Improve. That's all that can be asked. But also listen to the toxicity. Typically there is a reason that you are getting flamed. Don't just ignore it. For example a lot of new players get really defensive when they start getting called bad. Instead, ask what you can do better.
-Prum

Nickodemous
05.04.2021 , 04:59 AM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by septru View Post
I agree with all the streamers that have been listed. All of them are good starts.

1k-1.2k is a good starting place for new ranked players. I have a couple of new friends who I am helping out right now who are also in that range. Don't worry about elo in your first season. Play for experience: learning your class, learning solo ranked metas, learning other classes, learning strats... ect.

I recommend queing as a dps. You will get raged at less. Bad healers are extremely noticeable. Bad dps are less so.

Nevertheless, you will get flamed. Expect toxicity. Just don't make the same mistakes over again. Improve. That's all that can be asked. But also listen to the toxicity. Typically there is a reason that you are getting flamed. Don't just ignore it. For example a lot of new players get really defensive when they start getting called bad. Instead, ask what you can do better.
^This

I have been only dabbling in ranked the past few seasons. Not good, not bad, just a whole lot of meh. I was able to get a few matches in the other night and did ok.

To Septru's point, listen to everything the others have to say. Regardless of how it said, they trying to help you, help them, win. In the past, I used to ignore it.

I am going to try to be much more active this season. As I explained to players the other night, I cannot make a dps guardian/jugg work in ranked if I DONT PLAY RANKED. I have to be all in or don't bother with it at all. The other players were receptive and did make suggestions which I appreciated.
Tyranticus - Ty'zor - Maullin - Clandestu - Pepe'nero

The Elite Warlord Club - The PVP FAB FIVE

xdjinn
05.07.2021 , 09:49 PM | #9
had subbed to this thread in hopes that I would find useful information and ways of learning how to get into those arenas better.
Tried Marauder, basically once u got dmged enough u are dead unless u manage to run away and someone from your team picks up the guy chasing you, otherwise the chaser will just find u way before you leave combat.
Tried Jugg, and jugg is ballz, immortal is boring to play and u have to basically babysit others while also trying to do dmg, but my fav spec for jugg which is Rage is basically denied the pleasure of Ranked because u get insta tunneled and u have no *********** way of staying on the fight, u set up nimble and play carousel like an idiot until u manage to get Enraged Defense back up, u last another 30 seconds (if they are insistent on tunneling u) and u are dead. Only chance is if your team manages to kill someone while you are running around like a fool...

My conclusion is simple: Ranked is rubbish. Meta favors certain specs while rendering other specs completely useless, and there's a minority of specs that manages but they have to "not play" to "play" (jugg runing around like an idiot, Marauders hoping that they manage to get out of combat fast enough for recovery ability because they have absolutely no heals), exploiting LOS to the fullest. Couldn't outrun the 300 CC self-healing rolling Concealment OP? Tough luck, our system has computed that you suck as a player, so here lose some points.
Basically for Ranked u either get into the meta classes/specs or you are better off not even touching it.

I would appreciate some advice, but talking in-game with other ranked players the conclusion is simple: Don't play Jugg DPS (my current fav. spec is Rage), and for the marauder I am really really confused, I've tried breaking out of combat multiple times, and to me it seems more like a gamble, sometimes I manage, but most of the time I'm stuck in-combat and someone comes chasing me with all my DCDs spent, really have no clue what to do there.

There's also the endless stream of infantile behavior from RPvP players constantly trash talking others or you, constantly saying "don't queue, go play regs" as if the freaking regs would help with anything (regs are cheese easy with almost any class or spec, the thing about ranked is that u must know what is "broken" or exploitable or you simply run cheese specs, it's not about skill, just game knowledge, personal experience, and following the meta).

Anyway, I see no point in doing ranked other than trying to get some gated cosmetics, which are a *********** pain to get considering how many matches u must play to get any of those, in the end the high toxicity in it and the hard bias over certain classes from Bioware is slowly pushing me towards unsubbing. Today (first day I decided to try ranked) I almost did it, but I'll cool off and decide if this game has anything to offer me other than grief on a global scale, PvE has been subpar, it's hard to get into Story OPS due to everyone exploiting GF instead of using it as it was supposed to, but even doing those (which I did a few times) the real "content" for end-game are the master OPS which u are gated by other players either by them having a fix grp or because u aren't "geared enough". Basically the game is showing that it has nothing to offer because the top gearing one can achieve is gated behind billions of credits or doing both Ranked and Master OPS. I digress. Any tips are welcome, if I am able to play what I want in Ranked and not be subpar I'll give it another go, but if not I'll probably pull my hard earned money from Bioware because I am no masochist to pay for such an unpleasant experience.

PS: Forgot to mention the ridiculous Matchmaking that basically gives free wins to people.
http://www.swtor.com/r/XWq2wR - 7 days free subscription. And cookies.

DavidAtkinson
05.07.2021 , 11:18 PM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by xdjinn View Post
had subbed to this thread in hopes that I would find useful information and ways of learning how to get into those arenas better.
Tried Marauder, basically once u got dmged enough u are dead unless u manage to run away and someone from your team picks up the guy chasing you, otherwise the chaser will just find u way before you leave combat.
Tried Jugg, and jugg is ballz, immortal is boring to play and u have to basically babysit others while also trying to do dmg, but my fav spec for jugg which is Rage is basically denied the pleasure of Ranked because u get insta tunneled and u have no *********** way of staying on the fight, u set up nimble and play carousel like an idiot until u manage to get Enraged Defense back up, u last another 30 seconds (if they are insistent on tunneling u) and u are dead. Only chance is if your team manages to kill someone while you are running around like a fool...

My conclusion is simple: Ranked is rubbish. Meta favors certain specs while rendering other specs completely useless, and there's a minority of specs that manages but they have to "not play" to "play" (jugg runing around like an idiot, Marauders hoping that they manage to get out of combat fast enough for recovery ability because they have absolutely no heals), exploiting LOS to the fullest. Couldn't outrun the 300 CC self-healing rolling Concealment OP? Tough luck, our system has computed that you suck as a player, so here lose some points.
Basically for Ranked u either get into the meta classes/specs or you are better off not even touching it.

I would appreciate some advice, but talking in-game with other ranked players the conclusion is simple: Don't play Jugg DPS (my current fav. spec is Rage), and for the marauder I am really really confused, I've tried breaking out of combat multiple times, and to me it seems more like a gamble, sometimes I manage, but most of the time I'm stuck in-combat and someone comes chasing me with all my DCDs spent, really have no clue what to do there.

There's also the endless stream of infantile behavior from RPvP players constantly trash talking others or you, constantly saying "don't queue, go play regs" as if the freaking regs would help with anything (regs are cheese easy with almost any class or spec, the thing about ranked is that u must know what is "broken" or exploitable or you simply run cheese specs, it's not about skill, just game knowledge, personal experience, and following the meta).

Anyway, I see no point in doing ranked other than trying to get some gated cosmetics, which are a *********** pain to get considering how many matches u must play to get any of those, in the end the high toxicity in it and the hard bias over certain classes from Bioware is slowly pushing me towards unsubbing. Today (first day I decided to try ranked) I almost did it, but I'll cool off and decide if this game has anything to offer me other than grief on a global scale, PvE has been subpar, it's hard to get into Story OPS due to everyone exploiting GF instead of using it as it was supposed to, but even doing those (which I did a few times) the real "content" for end-game are the master OPS which u are gated by other players either by them having a fix grp or because u aren't "geared enough". Basically the game is showing that it has nothing to offer because the top gearing one can achieve is gated behind billions of credits or doing both Ranked and Master OPS. I digress. Any tips are welcome, if I am able to play what I want in Ranked and not be subpar I'll give it another go, but if not I'll probably pull my hard earned money from Bioware because I am no masochist to pay for such an unpleasant experience.

PS: Forgot to mention the ridiculous Matchmaking that basically gives free wins to people.
Hey..

It would be good to know how much PVP experience you have in general and how much unraked have you played compared to arenas , especially ranked ones.

If you , let's say , played 85% regs and the remaining 15% was arenas, then that's one of your problems . I was in the same boat more or less. I always played unranked, did pretty well, but when I qued ranked all hell broke lose .

In order to become good, you have to first of all stop unranked unless you know it's low population in que and you get some arenas . But you have to que ranked and go through this pain you mentioned here. There are a lot of factors involved in the outcome of your games,: your own performance, who is in your team and in the enemy, what specs are matched together . You should also know how other classes work and how to counter whatever they are doing by being able to watch their buffs .

There isn't much advice anyone can give here other than be patient and practice , but I think one of the most important thing is to : STOP queing 2, 3 games and then getting discouraged because you end up losing and feeling miserable. I don't think anyone can become good at something by not failing at it first . So I advise you to not give up and keep practicing . Sadly , yes, you have to pick a meta class/spec unless you are PVP god at some weaker spec . You should play the class/spec you are best at.(whatever it is) Fury marauder is a good start due to good burst and cc immunity . But it's not easy to play . I main a mara and in some situations I feel totally useless . Years ago I was like 800-900 rated, but now I can keep myself around 1200-1300 constantly . I am not thinking of top 3 spots or things like that, I just like competing vs good players . Got a lot of toxicity myself from other players in the past. Some of it was justified but you have ignore it and move on. Focus on your own improvement , which I repeat, will take some time if you are patient enough. LIke I said earlier, many players que up, get some bad games and then get discouraged from queing.
Darth Malgus Server
Delusional Marauder Main