Unranked Arenas vital for PVP longevity

Hefcluba

I think that Unranked Arenas could be very popular with lower skill players.

I'm sitting here on my 1-6 Marauder with my ~800 rating friend and we've been waiting for the solo q to pop for over an hour starting at 7:00pm on a Friday. The PVP community is shrinking because new and low skill players, as well as non-pvpers are reluctant to q up for ranked matches. Those who do play ranked are the same few players over and over again, who ironically complain nonstop about win traders and yet still quote leaderboard rankings. The Group Challenge Skirmishes are fun; especially for 2v2 and 3v3, but its hard to convince players to play without getting some sort of reward. Sometimes I can get an unranked Arena, but I'm sure the q prioritizes Warzones. I think more players would be interested in ranked if they could consistently practice arenas. Also, an arena q where I could q up with an undersized group and fill up to a 4v4 would be great. Unranked matches would have almost no incentives for players to trade wins, and with a higher population, it would be almost impossible.

The whole point of this is to entice more players to try out PVP, arenas are extremely fun and you have more agency over the outcome than in a typical 8v8 warzone. Please consider adding an Unranked Arena Queue.

I'm sitting here on my 1-6 Marauder with my ~800 rating friend and we've been waiting for the solo q to pop for over an hour starting at 7:00pm on a Friday.

Ranked doesnt start popping on SF until usually around 8pm est btw. At least lately.

I'm sitting here on my 1-6 Marauder with my ~800 rating friend and we've been waiting for the solo q to pop for over an hour starting at 7:00pm on a Friday. The PVP community is shrinking because new and low skill players, as well as non-pvpers are reluctant to q up for ranked matches. Those who do play ranked are the same few players over and over again, who ironically complain nonstop about win traders and yet still quote leaderboard rankings. The Group Challenge Skirmishes are fun; especially for 2v2 and 3v3, but its hard to convince players to play without getting some sort of reward. Sometimes I can get an unranked Arena, but I'm sure the q prioritizes Warzones. I think more players would be interested in ranked if they could consistently practice arenas. Also, an arena q where I could q up with an undersized group and fill up to a 4v4 would be great. Unranked matches would have almost no incentives for players to trade wins, and with a higher population, it would be almost impossible.

The whole point of this is to entice more players to try out PVP, arenas are extremely fun and you have more agency over the outcome than in a typical 8v8 warzone. Please consider adding an Unranked Arena Queue.

The only way your nearly guaranteed to play unranked arena is if the queue is dead or you queue up for lowbies.

9/10 matches in lowbies only pops arena for me. So if you want to play that format and not play ranked, it’s good to have a bunch of lvl 70-74 characters you can rotate through.

I think they would be popular with ranked players too, because you could practice specs/classes that you're not as comfortable with.

But as you say, the main benefit would be to introduce non-ranked players to arenas so that they're properly prepared when they queue ranked.

Chris said long ago that map selection of some sort was coming. Maybe there will be a way to select only arenas? We'll see I guess.

I think they would be popular with ranked players too, because you could practice specs/classes that you're not as comfortable with.

But as you say, the main benefit would be to introduce non-ranked players to arenas so that they're properly prepared when they queue ranked.

Chris said long ago that map selection of some sort was coming. Maybe there will be a way to select only arenas? We'll see I guess.

The question is, will we have enough players left for it to work? Bioware are so excruciatingly slow at implementing this, that I doubt we’ll have enough players for it to work by the time they do it (if they do it).

Seriously, what’s it’s been now, 1 year or 2 years since they said they were looking at it?

The question is, will we have enough players left for it to work? Bioware are so excruciatingly slow at implementing this, that I doubt we’ll have enough players for it to work by the time they do it (if they do it).

Seriously, what’s it’s been now, 1 year or 2 years since they said they were looking at it?

He mentioned it on discord on August 12, 2020, so yeah, quite some time lol.

Exactly, its a weekend. We need more players to get interested. Almost every guild you see is RP/PVE only.

You're right, but there are also a lot of other factors you aren't considering. For instance, the most active part of a ranked season is always the first 2 months. Ranked season 14 has been going on for nearly 11 months, even though BioWare promised 3-6 month seasons. Almost everyone has lost interest in ranked season 14, and yet BioWare has continued it for this long.

Non Ranked Arenas should be part of a separate PvP mode in a daily weekly IMO.

It is annoying that to practise Arena the only way is to pop into them.

Yes you have 10 games of try and then....

This should have actually been done in 2013 when Arenas and SR was launched and not today nearly ten years later.

• 1 month later...

YEa cause makeing people even more TDM minded ******* is a great thing, as if there arent enought TDM minded ******* already that have no clue how to play other than TDM

WAAAAAAAAAAHHH. how dare anyone PvP in a PvP zone! :mad:

There are, and always have been in all these games, many different ways to PvP.

TDM style is only one part of that. There have always been capture the flag, conquest, and many other styles that also put emphasis on the actual T in the TDM where you need to coordinate with other people instead of just killing them.

Hard to imagine i know, scary to some im sure, but objective based is still PvP, no matter how much you might want to dismiss that.

I do think you should be able to queue 8 man separate from arenas or have some form of toggle where you can choose either or both.

This idea that the goal is to feed ranked, is simply not factual for anyone but the smallest fraction of the community.

There are, and always have been in all these games, many different ways to PvP.

TDM style is only one part of that. There have always been capture the flag, conquest, and many other styles that also put emphasis on the actual T in the TDM where you need to coordinate with other people instead of just killing them.

Hard to imagine i know, scary to some im sure, but objective based is still PvP, no matter how much you might want to dismiss that.

I do think you should be able to queue 8 man separate from arenas or have some form of toggle where you can choose either or both.

This idea that the goal is to feed ranked, is simply not factual for anyone but the smallest fraction of the community.

mhm, harry potter is a real historical figure too.

Exactly, its a weekend. We need more players to get interested. Almost every guild you see is RP/PVE only.

This is solely due to ranked 8s being removed. Ranked 8s we're what made pvp guilds work.

What's the point of a solo ranked guild.No group ranked doesn't work too low player count forces unbalanced games. 8s in arena might work but doubt the engine could do it.

Actually ranked 8s in arena with respawns would be interesting 🤔. Winner goes to kills.... Humm. It would be moba like but that might not be a bad thing.

Edited by TmoneyTime