Forums Feedback

JackieKo

• Dev Post

Hello everyone, hope you’re all having a happy Friday. For those who may not know, I’m Jackie, and I just recently joined the community team here!

The reason I am making this post is to get a feel for what parts of the forums I can help improve, check in on, etc… So I am asking for your feedback and guidance on that. I do already have a small list based off of what I saw in my intro post. That includes:

Updating stickies/older posts

Being more active in general

Giving the PVP side of the forums some love

Feel free to leave links here of threads I can check out as well! Lastly, please give me details. If you say “the forums need help”, I need to know additional info as to what you mean by that statement.

I will ask for your understanding in that these types of environment changes do not happen overnight, but part of my job is to understand community sentiment and help the community thrive as a whole. That takes time.

To reiterate, this post is focused on feedback regarding the forums. As always, please keep feedback as constructive as possible. I love good vibes! Looking forward to getting to know you all!

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Jackie, thanks for asking!

I dunno if this is something that you personally can do, but for a good while many of us have been asking that the Galactic Strongholds section of the forum get an icon and not be set apart from the rest in the weird way that it currently is. I believe someone in BW said at some point that this would be addressed, but it hasn't been yet.

This may not be the kind of forum feedback you're looking for, though. :)

Edited by Estelindis

I second the need for an improvement on the Galactic Strongholds forum section. I know that it isn't heavily frequented, but it annoys me a lot because it lacks an icon and it's out of order. I think this might also be part of why it's not so frequented. It can be so easy to overlook.

Most of the stickies, especially on the class forums, are out of date, but I thought I'd highlight a few specific ones:

The Gunslinger Advanced Class Guide, stickied in the Gunslinger/Sniper forums, was posted in 2012, has not been updated since 3.0.2 (in 2015), and the last post on the thread was in 2015.

Similarly, the Marksmanship Sharpshooter guide has not been updated since 3.0 in 2015, and, while the last post was in 2020, that post was calling for an update, and the post before that was from 2015.

The stickied http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=781482&page=66has been removed, according to the post's author, and was from 2014. The last real comments were also from 2015, though there was one post from 2019 with the OP saying he's not sure why this is still stickied.

The Mercenary/Commando Healing Guide is from 2013 and was last updated on 07/31/2015.

In general, almost all of the class forums seem to have randomly stickied, egregiously-outdated posts.

I'm not a frequent on many of the class forums, so I am not sure if there are class guides up on the forums, but both Vulkk and Swtorista speak to many and have hosted their own class guides, updated for 6.0. Perhaps these could be updated and transferred to the forums?

While still useful, I also wanted to highlight the Hard Mode/Night Mare Mode Boss Fights Guide in in FP/Ops forums, which has not been updated since 2016. We have multiple new operations and I know that many of the fights have been altered or re-tuned, too.

Edited by jedimasterjac

I second the need for an improvement on the Galactic Strongholds forum section. I know that it isn't heavily frequented, but it annoys me a lot because it lacks an icon and it's out of order. I think this might also be part of why it's not so frequented. It can be so easy to overlook.

To be honest, it would be nice to see the devs pop into the strongholds forums from time to time period. The lack of a button and proper placement on the menu page is really just indicative of how ignored that forum section is in general. Yes, it is quieter than other sections, but I would say a part of that is that it seems completely ignored by the team. I've seen some really great ideas posted in there and they just get crickets from the team.

I'd also like to see my dev interaction in the suggestion box. These are places where great ideas are put forth and there's seldom any acknowledgement that anyone is even looking at them.

There are two issues at which I feel that it might be worth looking...

First would be the fact that, despite the forum rules clearly stating it's not allowed, there's still an almost monotonous frequency of topics created solely for the purpose of "Hey, use my referral link".

Second, and possibly the more important of the two, is Necro-posting. I'm not even thinking of 'normal' necro-posting an old thread, even one years old, but a very specific problem that's been seen more and more in recent months and that's people reviving a dead (sometimes years dead) thread which has now-inaccurate information which no longer applies to the game as it is.

The crafting section on the Forums also needs some attention. Perhaps the person in charge of the Crafting aspect of the game could make a post addressing some of the major concerns there. As a group crafters are seriously neglected and handicapped the way it is now unless you have BILLIONS piled up that's not fair at all.

My two main gripes are, in order:

Threads where they don't belong

This is especially bad in the Star Wars Discussion forum. Despite the sticky telling people what it is for, almost the entire forum is taken over by game related information. There are also lots of bug reports in General Discussion where they shouldn't be, and of course the usual batch of totally off topic stuff that belongs in off topic.

More aggressively moving threads to where they belong would be nice (perhaps with a polite notification to the poster to look where they are posting before they post)

Necroing. Dam it's gotten bad over the last little while, posts going all the way back to 2011 are being necroed, usually because someone came in from google and never bothered to check on the date. I would support an automatic thread lock on any thread that hasn't had a post in it for a certain amount of time (say, 6 months)

Second, and possibly the more important of the two, is Necro-posting. I'm not even thinking of 'normal' necro-posting an old thread, even one years old, but a very specific problem that's been seen more and more in recent months and that's people reviving a dead (sometimes years dead) thread which has now-inaccurate information which no longer applies to the game as it is.

yes, please lock dead threads, we've seen far too many thread brought back, with stupid comments, that weren't even related to the thread, inaccurate information, etc.

Hello Jackie and welcome.

For me, it's always been about how the Strongholds Forum looks like the runt pup kicked away from the rest of the litter. It should be placed in line properly with the others with a nice icon. That's what I'd like to see.

Thanks. :)

Hello Jackie and welcome.

For me, it's always been about how the Strongholds Forum looks like the runt pup kicked away from the rest of the litter. It should be placed in line properly with the others with a nice icon. That's what I'd like to see.

Thanks. :)

( ཀ ʖ̯ ཀ) poor stronghold forum, you make it sound so sad, lonely & abused, we have to help it now.

The crafting section on the Forums also needs some attention. Perhaps the person in charge of the Crafting aspect of the game could make a post addressing some of the major concerns there. As a group crafters are seriously neglected and handicapped the way it is now unless you have BILLIONS piled up that's not fair at all.

I second this.

Crafting needs some serious help! :rak_03:

Move or Remove "Star Wars Discussion"...95% of the people that post there don't actually know what it's for and think it's where you're supposed to discuss the game. It's supposed to be a board to discuss "Star Wars" in general, not issues with the game...essentially, they're treating it like a second "General Discussion" board when another already exists. It's redundant and not helpful to players or game staff to have people posting things in the wrong areas. Heck, just relabel it as Off Topic, and remove the Off Topic sub-board from General Discussion as it shouldn't be under there anyway.

I'm sure there's other things I could think of, but this has been bothering me for like 10 years now...

yes, please lock dead threads, we've seen far too many thread brought back, with stupid comments, that weren't even related to the thread, inaccurate information, etc.

+ 1 for locking a thread with no reply within 6 months, last week i encountered this particular (idiot) reply to a datacron problem back in 2012. A wannabe elitist somehow said “datacron is legacy based, of course you can’t click it anymore” while its not the case back then.

For those who still ignorant to the fact, back then its per toon not legacy for datacron.

:p He hee, well, that was the point. It's been alone and languishing for years. Help us JackieKo you're our only hope.

*waves hand in front of jakieko in a friendly jedi way "This is the forum you are looking to help" :)

Lets hope the force is with us, and we can save the poor little forum ;)

Well, best of luck with that.

I don't need luck. I have the Force on my side when raising a game-breaking issue which completely stops progression on one of my characters.

The Force is with me. I am one with the Force. But, by all means, keep playing wanna-be forum moderator. And, rest assured, if I ever desire advice about my posting privileges and protocol I will consult you first!

Dasty

Edited by Jdast

There is one problem I have with locking threads based on when they last had a post. Some of the love threads will go awhile without posts, but when something new comes up with that character people use the thread again. I have no problem with locking threads that have no relevance, but I think character fan threads should be an exception to this. Sometimes characters get new content, a new player discovers that character for the first time, etc, etc.