Please Hold on Vanilla Cutscenes Revisions Without Studying Cinematography First

Tofu_Shark

I suggest the team that designs the cutscenes review cinematography more to get a sense of what makes moving art tell a good story and look beautiful while doing it, because these revisions should've been a step forward instead of a step backwards. The vanilla cutscenes that have been "updated" to have similar feel to KotFE/KotET are of lesser quality than of the original ones:

• Camera often moves for the sake of moving or moves too much - There is nothing wrong with subtle camera movement. The scene doesn't always call for sweeping pans, dollies, cranes, and tilts...and certainly not all of them in the same shot! Maybe if it's one of those long duration shots, but that's just about the only time they're all used in the same shot.
  • Changes to music selection during a scene change the emotional impact - such as during the Jedi's lightsaber construction scene. It just uses the Tython exploration music now, instead of the RotJ Luke vs Vader final duel, reducing the sequence's significance, unless this is a bug.
  • Changes to action alter the narrative - such as during the Knight's surprise after constructing their lightsaber. It portrays them as some unstoppable being rather than someone that was caught off-guard or confused.

A better alteration would've been the Forge Guardian throwing the rock, the Knight trying to catch it with the Force, but failing to, resulting in it getting embedded in the wall next to them, just like how the creature hit the wall with the rock in the original version. This would show they're not infallible and have only begun to discover the powers of the Force. (Even though you can mind trick three people long before this, but that's a response choice. I don't have to choose that.) I still like the old version better, because I felt that's exactly how a Padawan would've reacted to the situation.

• Incorrect sounds playing can take the player out of the moment - such as when the Imperial fighter makes a run on the Esseles, the Republic (Rebel) laser cannon sound is used instead of the Empire's. I know this has happened in the movies on occasion, and I don't know why. It always took me out of the moment when I have an association with certain sounds that has been established throughout the movie or the OT/PT. It also never felt like the Empire launched fighters in that scene before. It always seemed like an entirely capital ship affair, being how outmatched a Thranta is against a Harrower. I expected a scene showing the Harrower unleashing its firepower. I was sorely disappointed.

This is not an exhaustive list. I only recently created a new character. Readers, please contribute what you've noticed from the revisions that have detracted from the original versions of vanilla cutscenes.

There are also shadows that mark where characters will move to, such as when the Knight first meets Satele. This may be a bug though and not intentional, I'm not sure.

Edited by Tofu_Shark

• 2 weeks later...

That's even been done before though in the movies, to which I still don't understand after all these years. It's much less of a concern than my other observations. The drop in quality of cinematography and narrative is very noticeable, but people just see a moving camera and go, "Oh my god! It's so much better. It looks like a movie now!"

It didn't look like a movie before? Look at most movies. Dialogue typically involves little camera movement.

Edited by Tofu_Shark