It's been nine years. Can I just use a rifle now?

Cavadus

Seriously, the soldier class can't even use a rifle in endgame after all this time? And we're about to open up *all* of the ACs?

Please just lemme use a rifle without losing abilities and DPS.

Edited by Cavadus

• 2 months later...
Seriously, the soldier class can't even use a rifle in endgame after all this time? And we're about to open up *all* of the ACs?

Please just lemme use a rifle without losing abilities and DPS.

It's the same problem with sniper on imperial side. Simple solution is to add passive to commando(and sniper) class that increase damage with blaster rifle to have the same base damage as using assault cannon or sniper rifle. All animation for rifle skills that somehow require assault cannon are in the game. Same goes with blaster rifle sniper(single blaster merc and gunslinger are more complicated couse there have to be special stat stick for those classes into offhand weapon slot). It's just lazyness at his point.

Edited by Davook

• 3 weeks later...
This is part of why I'm waiting on 7.0 to continue my trooper (she's level 15 currently, though I did complete trooper story on a commando ages ago). I'm going to be running sniper as the combat style, and there's plenty of sniper rifles that look fairly close to a standard blaster rifle, plus the crouch/cover mechanics and energy shields seem so much more fitting for a proper soldier gameplay mechanic.

• 3 weeks later...
It's the same problem with sniper on imperial side. Simple solution is to add passive to commando(and sniper) class that increase damage with blaster rifle to have the same base damage as using assault cannon or sniper rifle. All animation for rifle skills that somehow require assault cannon are in the game. Same goes with blaster rifle sniper(single blaster merc and gunslinger are more complicated couse there have to be special stat stick for those classes into offhand weapon slot). It's just lazyness at his point.

I agree. I love my commando, but would really like the option of using a blaster rifle like a real stormtrooper.

Am I missing something or my English suddenly broke?

VG/Com can in fact use a rifle tho.

They're talking about the fact that while Commando and Sniper can equip Blaster Rifles, they lose access to certain abilities that are tied to the Assault Cannon and Sniper Rifle when they do.

The funny thing is, none of the abilities that require the cannon are physically tied to a cannon. A rifle should be able to do the same thing. The abilities that SHOULD be affected are grenades. They way it's set up is that your cannon launches them, they aren't thrown. That much ordinance wouldn't fit on a rifle. But Hail of Bolts? Even a magazine gun, today, can do that. I'm with the core that say we should be able to use rifles without a DPS loss. So, they should either eliminate the dependencies, or switch them for more logical choices.

• 1 month later...
I agree 100% with the sentiment. Personally I HATE the sound effects on the assault cannons and pistols in this game. The blaster rifles have all the best sound effects. For my commando, I've kept him using the cannon, but I gave the commando combat style to my smuggler and mercenary, and I have them both using the rifle.

I don't know who told you that guys, but snipers don't loose any abilities, nor access to any of their skills while using a rifle instead of sniper rifle. I've been running my virulence sniper like a trooper given that this spec is more like if it was lmg rather than a sniper rifle.

But I recommend you Sniper/Operative combo for Trooper, since both can use rifle but they do it in different way, while sniper sets up in place and from there assaults enemies, operative(Also virulence) is more mobile which compensates for the shorter range, so while running they are also gunning the enemies down.