If you don't like the Trooper story ...

GoldSquadGirl

ive never understood why people would claim that light or dark side is a superior story.

the reality is those choices affect the next line your character says... and thats it.

after your nifty 'tough guy' one liner, you go right back to the same predetermined story you were going to get no matter what.

...it just doesnt make any sense to me.

its like claiming the blue pencil is better than the green pencil... when they are both pencils.

I'm with you 100% here. all my characters alignments are 100% dependent on the boots/speeder/crystal color I want to use.

Edited by Emencie

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am gonna go on a limb here and guess that you played a "light side" Trooper.

Well, that's why your story sucked.

You're a Trooper, and you're trying to fit yourself into some Jedi morality system?

Remember now, these are the geniuses who spend 23 hours a day meditating but can't tell if the Dark Lord of the Sith has an office down the hall.

News Flash: 3000 years from now the "enlightened" jedi will get tired of dealing with free-thinking Troopers and will create a mind-numbed clone army to try to do our jobs the way the jedi want us to.

Then the great Republic will last about 10 years tops.

It's dirty work, embrace it, defend the Republic in ways that would give pajama wearing jedi a collective heart attack. Let them feel as pious as they want to.

That's why the Light Side Trooper storyline is empty ... but he Dark Side Trooper storyline ..... ROCKS.

And I do mean it rocks, I've been collecting video clips of key parts and am thinking about patching together a video story from them.

My favorite quote: "I'm not just a hired thug. I'm a heavily armed thug."

For the Republic!

/salute

There is no choice in the Trooper's story line. Unlike Bioware's Mass effect series you could aproach the situation however you wanted (Stealth, assault, exct). There was always 2 choices eaither light or dark and the dark was usually the best and this is why I agree with your post.

SPOILERS

The best example of how the Trooper storyline should all be about the final mission in Rakton. They should have more missions were you get to choose how you want the cards to play out. *example* there should be more missions were you get to choose how to assault a imperial base/fortress, (sneaking in the sewers, using comps specialties like Aric's sniping, Yuun's hacking, Tanno's bombs). Maybe I'm just going off track here but what I'm trying to say is that we shouldn't be limited to picking the dark side when there could be some bold republic patriotic light side actions. :)

Correction: "Light side, Dark side... <shrug>. I'm the guy with the gun."

I'm on page three of the thread and start to think, good, bad, gun. Well galadimana, thanks for stealing my thunder. Too bad the smuggler's the one with the boom-stick.

Life is more interesting with a little color. A splash of red, mixed with blue and in the world of TOR, you get a nice shade of grey. Though with flashpoints and such, you can unbalance things and tip the scales. Not being lock-stepped into one frame of mind makes things a bit more fun.

i don't agree that you have to be dark to enjoy it.

i've found myself in the grey area but more light and i've enjoyed it just fine. i take off the option where it shows which alignment choices are so i just make the choices that i feel is within what my character would choose... i'm not going to try and be light or dark i'm just making the choices at the time that fits my character.

i might execute a guy at one time and then save another at some other entirely different point, it all depends on how the story is playing out and the context of the situation.

sometimes i'll make a dark choice but most of the time it's the light. i'm there to get the impossible jobs done, to complete missions, to go where no other person can go and come out alive.... i can do that just fine while also being more of a light side char.

Edited by teambff

I've got three Troopers - one Vanguard, two Commandos (because, seriously, killing things with a shield-specced Vanguard is sloooooooooooow).

Vanguard went light-side - "Spirit of the Republic" etc. Interestingly, the "spirit of the Republic" required a few darkside choices to be made...

Commando 1 is dark-side - Don't really have a theme in mind, though, she's still only level 11 or so. My guess is she'll be "Finish the mission, no matter the cost, and rack up the bodycount along the way" type.

Commando 2 is neutral - she's 15, so no theme here either. I'm thinking she'll turn into a "Traitors and Imps must die, but protect Republic citizens where possible" decision-maker. So far that's kept her neutral.

Interestingly, Commando 1 is DPS spec, and Commando 2 is Heal spec.

Not really sure what I'm going to do when we're given the ability to multispec individual characters...

i have a trooper and she is LS and it's realy boring. but it feels wrong to choose the DS answers. so i level the most xp with pve and flashpoints and just do my class missions.

i like the gameplay of this class very much, im a healer.

i will proceed until lvl 50 and then reroll a sith warrior as twink, so i can do all the missions and play a very bad guy.

darkside always rocks, however all your companions bar one are light side orientated.

so yea that makes it suck, if youw ant to raise affection.

the campaign is rather boring apart from one mission where you use your squad.

Thats NOT TRUE ,M1-4X simply loves dark side answers and very few time he gaved me -points.

Reason why troopers story sucks is general Garza.

1.I Killed half galaxy and im still major ,i mean after gauntlet i expected to get a higer rank,after all i blew up imperial star destroyer,save the galaxy !

What did general Garza do to become a general?

Spreaded her legs wide open !

Who do i need to f**k to get a general title?

2. She constantly drags you to Coruscant for 2 sentences ,but seriously cant she use holo thingy like all others?

Trooper is class wich constantly comes back to noob planet ,more than any other class,endless loadings, endles walkings trough space stations ,then a senate tower ,and ofc her office is far far away . . .

3. There is no parade after you finish story.

All other aspects of story are fine .

Edited by sebayxc

yes, it would have been great if you was a colonel and you had to allocate troops and such, similar to the ending to the troopers.

or staging campaigns, and making tactical decisions, but throughout it just felt like you was a grunt obeying orders.

fine in itself, but in comparison to other campaigns, where you become the pinnacle of their class...

• 1 year later...

I have to Agree here .

LS Trooper simply doesn't give you the 'feeling' of a Soldier .

Recap : Soldier > Got Orders > Executes them . LS Trooper , doesn't do that , MOST of the time .

For example , ACT 1 , Coruscant . When you have to go to that 'facility' (about the 'virus' or w.e it were , can't remb perfectly.) Garza told you to live no SURVIVORS since they could be infected. LS > You'll let them go / DS > You'll follow your ORDERS and let them behind , even tho it's a hard decision , but it was an ORDER !

At the end , a Trooper is a Soldier . You can't be a 'Goody Goody , I let you live so you can kill another 1000 ppl' NO! You'll simply eliminate the TARGETS and follow your orders . Now , LS Trooper has it's 'moments' , definitely . But I would go DS all over again , just because it makes me Feel like a real Soldier . We're no '*****,Politicians' that wait 1000 years to react , when it's to late .

Republic always reacts after million of innocent ppl died (Novels,Series even Movies or Games) . Imagine all the 'Great Jedis,Soldiers' that had to die , because the Jedis still believe in 'Peace' while a SITH MURDERS PPL INFRONT OF THEM ! (Respect Revan !)

Sorry for my english ,was late , and it isn't my first language !

Honestly, my suggestion for an interesting story is this. Disable the light side/dark side indicators and role play your character. I ended up with about light II at the end of the story but I felt like my character was both consistent and believable.

The biggest mistake in this story I would say is the lack of setbacks. No matter what Havoc does, they always succeed, it lowers the stakes because you never see them fail or have to come up with a work around or struggle. Where is the hopeless last stand type mission? Where are the friendlies you couldn't save (apart from Jaxo)? Where are the war wounds? The PTSD? Hell the trooper seems not only immune to failure and the horrors of war, he is also utterly immune to the force. Visit the nightmare lands on voss to save a team who had been utterly broken by its dark powers? No biggie. Fight the dread masters on Oricon? Not even a flashback to leaving Jaxo to die (oh come one! Lets see some emotion out of Havoc lead, he certainly has a lot to regret or fear). Basically the trooper doesn't seem human, he's some sort of force blind utterly unstoppable Hercules and thats why the story gets boring. The agent is far more vulnerable, far more personal and far more believable. That's why we care so much about him and his crew.

Honestly, my suggestion for an interesting story is this. Disable the light side/dark side indicators and role play your character. I ended up with about light II at the end of the story but I felt like my character was both consistent and believable.

The biggest mistake in this story I would say is the lack of setbacks. No matter what Havoc does, they always succeed, it lowers the stakes because you never see them fail or have to come up with a work around or struggle. Where is the hopeless last stand type mission? Where are the friendlies you couldn't save (apart from Jaxo)? Where are the war wounds? The PTSD? Hell the trooper seems not only immune to failure and the horrors of war, he is also utterly immune to the force. Visit the nightmare lands on voss to save a team who had been utterly broken by its dark powers? No biggie. Fight the dread masters on Oricon? Not even a flashback to leaving Jaxo to die (oh come one! Lets see some emotion out of Havoc lead, he certainly has a lot to regret or fear). Basically the trooper doesn't seem human, he's some sort of force blind utterly unstoppable Hercules and thats why the story gets boring. The agent is far more vulnerable, far more personal and far more believable. That's why we care so much about him and his crew.

I agree to a major part of what you've said .

To be honest , I expected much more from the Guys that have made Mass Effect . ME has been and always be my #1 Game , 4ever . SWTOR came out way to Early , BIO/EA was so 'upset' about 'Killing WoW' they've never realised the game is not completely done yet (Explains the unbalanced classes , poor made stories , bugs , issues and what not more .) Up to this day , I still think that if EA/BIO would've wait at least another Year , just to fix the 'major issues' , the game could've been called a 'WoW Killer' , F2P came way to early aswell (explains the - and - and - etc Sub numbers ) I DO NOT BLAME THE F2P PLAYERS , NEVER INTENDED TO ! Many left because of the 'Bad experience' with F2Ps , many left because of the STILL NOT FIXED BUGS after 1 year of Release .

I could say lot more , but it's a pointless and endless Conv .

• 1 year later...
i am gonna go on a limb here and guess that you played a "light side" trooper.

Well, that's why your story sucked.

You're a trooper, and you're trying to fit yourself into some jedi morality system?

Remember now, these are the geniuses who spend 23 hours a day meditating but can't tell if the dark lord of the sith has an office down the hall.

News flash: 3000 years from now the "enlightened" jedi will get tired of dealing with free-thinking troopers and will create a mind-numbed clone army to try to do our jobs the way the jedi want us to.

Then the great republic will last about 10 years tops.

It's dirty work, embrace it, defend the republic in ways that would give pajama wearing jedi a collective heart attack. Let them feel as pious as they want to.

That's why the light side trooper storyline is empty ... But he dark side trooper storyline ..... Rocks.

And i do mean it rocks, i've been collecting video clips of key parts and am thinking about patching together a video story from them.

My favorite quote: "i'm not just a hired thug. I'm a heavily armed thug."

for the republic!

/salute

god this is 100% the trooper i want to be

• 6 years later...
Seriously?? READ. THE. DATES. This thread was going on a year & a half old. Let them stay dead.

How 'bout no? If someone has something productive to contribute, or even an opinion to offer, I don't see why their voices should be suppressed to keep threads dead.

Anyway, I don't see why people just love to hate things, be it the Jedi Consular or the LS Trooper. The idea that playing a LS Trooper being boring, I can see why that is, but at the same time, it's also kinda a shame people feel that way, the idea that you get to play this gung-ho loyalist Republic soldier (shouting "FOR THE REPUBLIC!" all the time), willing to put down your lives to help the helpless, that kind of admirable position is something endearing to roleplay with (also see my opinion on the JC for a similar comparison on martyr roles like the LS JC and Trooper).

I can't tell you how many times I felt that the LS Trooper, especially the female one with Jennifer Hale's voice, sounded like a gosh darn hero I would worship, a real Captain America. That's pretty much it though - I roleplayed it with the idea in mind that my Trooper is some kind of Captain America-ish girl-scout willing to put down her life for the sake of others. That made my experience more fun.

Shame others just couldn't see it. Shame others couldn't experience my joy of wanting to go in and go "Hooah!" on the Imps. WHAT TEAM? HAVOC SQUAD! HOOAH!

Edited by OriusPrime