Toolbar Ability - Proc ... and Story

Kass

What ways can the Proc of an ability ingame be described in SW short story/fan fic?

My view on this is that the content of fiction shouldn't be based on (nor include) detailed game mechanics, and what procs what is way too detailed for that.

Some things, e.g. Gunnery Commando where Vertex Shot procs Grav Round to instacast, might work, but some links seem a little ... "makes sense for game mechanics but not for story" for that.

My view on this is that the content of fiction shouldn't be based on (nor include) detailed game mechanics, and what procs what is way too detailed for that.

Some things, e.g. Gunnery Commando where Vertex Shot procs Grav Round to instacast, might work, but some links seem a little ... "makes sense for game mechanics but not for story" for that.

I see what you're saying... but what I'm hoping to illicit is not so much how to describe game play game mechanics directly as story, as it is on how to explain the power designed into the character/class via story, if that makes it clearer?

If for example, when writing fan fic/short story for an swtor force using character/class a certain combination of actions ingame that result in a proc which upon activation unleashes a devastating 80k damage hit to the target - but the normal ability would not normally exceed 30Kish damage; in star wars terminology and story telling, how would that be explained in story terms?

That's what I'm trying to figure out.

Edited by Kass

With the vast wealth of fan fic that Star Wars has produced over the decades and the devout fans and fan fiction writers out there, knowing what more creative and talented people - than I ever will be - think just might uncover a well worn concept I am unaware of, or an ingenious one I would have never thought of.

So while I could just wing it, I am genuinely interested if there is anything that the Star Wars Lore might point to that helps describe what we see as a Proc'd ability ingame that can result in a devastating attack?

Ex: The force flowing through (them)... ; Harnessing the Darkside; etc.

If not, then fine, but I thought it was at least worth inquiring about and discussing.

:d_angelic:

Edited by Kass

I see what you're saying... but what I'm hoping to illicit is not so much how to describe game play game mechanics directly as story, as it is on how to explain the power designed into the character/class via story, if that makes it clearer?

If for example, when writing fan fic/short story for an swtor force using character/class a certain combination of actions ingame that result in a proc which upon activation unleashes a devastating 80k damage hit to the target - but the normal ability would not normally exceed 30Kish damage; in star wars terminology and story telling, how would that be explained in story terms?

That's what I'm trying to figure out.

Your knowledge of weapon engineering enables you to boost the output of your weapon periodically.

Or,

Your weapon's power cells reach a resonant frequency every so often and enhance the damage of the blaster bolt

Or,

As you continue to let the Force guide your actions, your attention and "focus" allows you to execute a devastating attack

Again, like another poster said, use your imagination and make it up. You can often find inspiration from the descriptions of the abilities within the ability tree which often have a little bit of flavor text.

Edited by phalczen