No primary style change for tech classes in 7.0

-Glyndo-

Why are the tech classes getting the short end of the stick in 7.0 by not being able to swap their primary style to the mirror like the force users can?

Because they can pick the mirror from the beginning? (er, provided they've unlocked it by completing the mirror story)

And because the Force users have to break Dark V on a character before Jedi can switch to Sith styles, and similarly they have to break Light V on a character before Sith can switch to Jedi styles, and the Tech classes don't have any of that nonsense?

Agreed, there's probably an imbalance somewhere, but it isn't what you describe it as.

Because they can pick the mirror from the beginning? (er, provided they've unlocked it by completing the mirror story)

And because the Force users have to break Dark V on a character before Jedi can switch to Sith styles, and similarly they have to break Light V on a character before Sith can switch to Jedi styles, and the Tech classes don't have any of that nonsense?

Agreed, there's probably an imbalance somewhere, but it isn't what you describe it as.

When you consider this....there are players, myself included, who had to chose a certain class in order to be able to play on the same side as friends, family, etc. even though that was not the class they wanted (i.e. sniper instead of gunslinger, etc.).

And now, with 7.0, force users are getting to correct that should they choose to do so, no light/dark required. But not the tech classes. I tested it with a L75, L70, L32 and L1 character on test. It didn't care about alignment when I was asked if I wanted to change my primary style, nor did it care when I chose my secondary style. The only thing that was blocked was if I was using a tech combat style and wanted to swap the primary to its mirror.

So now, if I really want to make my sniper a gunslinger, I have to use the second slot. Where as a force user, guardian for example, can swap right to jug with zero light/dark points or go from jug to guardian at dark 5. And then still have the rest of the styles available for their second slot.

Especially if you consider you can swap builds/styles on the fly. That is imbalance.

have the devs now said somewhere that Tech classes can not swap to their mirror class?

I remember seeing towards the early part of the announcements that Tech classes COULD swap to their mirrors; and do so without the same LS/DS points restriction of the force classes.

the source I am recalling was one of the early live streams that discussed the loadouts and change to combat styles.

And now, with 7.0, force users are getting to correct that should they choose to do so, no light/dark required.

The descriptions in the announcements made it clear that *on*live* you will only be able to switch to your Force-class mirror if you have previously made the opposite alignment rank V on at least one character.

It's mostly an RP thing, long asked for, for fallen (gone-Dark) Jedi to be able to use the equivalent Sith Discipline appearance, and for redeemed (gone-Light) Sith to be able to use the equivalent Jedi Discipline appearance. But it's totally RP, and not at all impactful on gameplay.

The same RP-like drive doesn't exist for gun classes.

The same RP-like drive doesn't exist for gun classes.

Since you bring up the RP side of it....I would argue that the same RP aspects that are there for the force users exist for the tech users as well.

I know more than a few folks who said at one point they wanted to be an Imperial Commando or Republic Sniper. Or be a Bounty Hunter working for the republic or a scruffy looking nerf herder smuggling goods for the sith.

Or even just as simple as an agent using a pistol since 99% of their class story cut scenes the agent uses a pistol.

It isn't just about a light side sith or dark side jedi....its about not having to throw away all of the time and effort spent developing a character only to find out now that combat style switching is coming, sorry you get screwed because you're not a force user.

I dont know what will happen on live. I would say that not allowing us to reroll our advanced classes when we log to our characters when 7.0 is released, would be a huge mistake.

I would agree that having to use the 2nd advanced class slot to roll Mercenary trooper on your already Commando trooper would feel like a massive waste.

Since you pick any advanced tech class when you create a new character, i cant see them not implementing a reroll on our old characters primary advanced class.

Made a thread explaining how it currently works because many people seem to be under the misconception that they could change even though what bioware has said is extremely vague and can be read both ways so there rly isnt any direct source stating you would be SPECIFICALLY be able to change the initial combat style of your existing character.

And there's many signs to point this is what we are gonna be getting

-release date is in 20 days, cant expect major changes

-Why would the implement a combat style change system and leave a part of it out with no mention, if anything the fact that force users can ONLY change to their mirror playstyle suggests the system is ready and finalized.

-Force users arent free either, you cant be an sorcerer-assassin in the Sith warrior story, but that will change in 7.0

-This incentivizes people to start new characters therefore more profit/retention for the company.

We also havent heard a word from bioware to say this isnt gonna be how it will work to avoid misconception, they have been quite silent on the specific matter which could be them worrying the backlash about to come once people realize how the system works since many had a very false expectation and misinterpreted what they read.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Or even just as simple as an agent using a pistol since 99% of their class story cut scenes the agent uses a pistol.

The same exists for the Trooper (using a pistol in cutscenes), apparently because the advanced classes use two different types of weapons.

I don't know that this is a thing with Consulars and Inquisitors (the standard saber for Sages and Sorcerers compared to the double-bladed saber for Shadows and Assassins), but apparently they needed a "standard weapon" for trooper cutscenes and so they gave them a sidearm. Rather than having Vanguards use a rifle and Commandos use a cannon, they just have them both use a pistol. Same for agents, I guess.

Anyway, I guess there was a problem with a character switching weapon types. Some issue with a pistol-using Smuggler switching a rifle or sniper rifle, so no swap.

That's the difference between tech users and force users. A Knight that switches to a Warrior style is still using a standard saber. An Assassin that switches to a Shadow style is still using a dual saber.

The tech classes are changing weapon types.

I wish it were otherwise, I truly do, but now I am just weighing losing what I have with some existing characters versus the advantages in visuals/playstyles/story that I can get by making new toons.

It doesn't? I was looking forward to having my Imp Agent wielding blasters instead of a sniper rifle. And then utilizing the vibroblade when the situation called for it.

But unless you mean "switching from Smuggler or Mercenary combat style to an Agent style" then you couldn't do this anyway.

And if you did mean that then nothing stops you from doing that anyway. There was never an option to use your vibroblade with a pistol. If you choose a pistol style then you choose the entire style. You will have a scattergun, generator, shield, or second pistol to go with that pistol, never a vibroblade.

Edited by Mithros