Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

BioWare, GTN prices are insane, its time to do something

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
BioWare, GTN prices are insane, its time to do something
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

TriceraNL
10.16.2021 , 02:54 PM | #251
I myself am a subscriber and i have abit of mixed feelings about this
I mean, with some things that a player wants, you're just gonna have to subscribe in order to get it.
However... That does'nt change the fact that items are ridiculously overpriced in a way where i'm thinking to myself
"Who do those sellers think i am? Bill Gates? Vince McMahon? Donald Trump?" I am not a friggin billionaire nor should i be in order to buy certain items.

Fact is: BioWare made this game. It's their game and only they can make adjustments / changes to it.
and while they were quitte succesful when they released this game by achieving 1 million subscribers within the first 3 days, it's because of us, their customers, their players that made the game succesful. And quitte frankly... Making a game ain't too hard neither is getting people play it. But keeping the players, staying succesful is the REAL challenge and i truly believe that staying succesful, requires to listen to what your customers, the players of your game wishes.

Now ofcourse, some of those wishes aren't really beneficial, i will admit that.
But there are also wishes that alot of players have and pointed out but BioWare did'nt seem to listen to, which is such a shame, because with some of those "wishes", it "can" cost them players.

This is ofcourse how i see it, how i feel about it.
Level 75 Jedi Guardian - Rey'lee Level 75 Jedi Sage - Nokto Rhoss
Level 75 Sith Juggernaut - Neilaws Level 75 Sith Sorcerer - Sydior

TrixxieTriss
10.16.2021 , 04:42 PM | #252
Quote: Originally Posted by JediQuaker View Post
I still think (I posted this before) that making it possible to put things on the GTN as "Bind on Pickup"** would allow people to put items on the GTN at reasonable (or even, cheap) prices without having scalpers buy them up to resell.

** key word, "optional". You put an item on the GTN and choose to make it BoP. This way, those people who wish to help the less fortunate can actually do so.

** or Bind to Legacy on Pickup (BtLoP?) would be even better. 🙂
I’d support that as long as it was implemented as you suggest and is voluntary because I often find scalpers will buy slow moving stuff if you need quick credits and you lower it a bit. Plus, I make a tidy sum scalping CM dyes and I’d hate to lose that income 😉

CommunityTeam
10.18.2021 , 09:41 AM | #253 This is the last staff post in this thread.  
Hi folks,

As the conversation here started veering off-topic and was not constructive, we removed posts from this thread.

We ask everyone to be respectful of each other even if there is disagreement or difference of opinion. Should posts here continue to violate guidelines, we will remove the posts and close the thread.

- Community Team

Follow us on Twitter @SWTOR | Like us on Facebook
[Contact Us] [Rules of Conduct] [F.A.Q.]

TrixxieTriss
10.18.2021 , 05:49 PM | #254
Quote: Originally Posted by CommunityTeam View Post
Hi folks,

As the conversation here started veering off-topic and was not constructive, we removed posts from this thread.

We ask everyone to be respectful of each other even if there is disagreement or difference of opinion. Should posts here continue to violate guidelines, we will remove the posts and close the thread.

- Community Team

Is there any chance you could get the dev team to comment on this topic? Then we wouldn’t need to defend them or second guess what they are planning to do to combat the hyperinflation.

TrixxieTriss
10.18.2021 , 08:49 PM | #255
For anyone interested, the best value CM to credit conversion via the GTN is the Additional Character Slot - CM description or the Server Character Slot - GTN description (just to make it confusing )

600CC converts to between 300,000,000 to 360,000,000 Credits. Which is much better than trading Hypercrates for a Billion credits. You can literally buy 9 server slots from the CM for the same price as 1 hypercrate.

hillerbees
10.20.2021 , 04:14 PM | #256
The game can be played fully and without hinderance, completely ignoring the GTN. The market sets itself, inflated though it may seem.

At launch prices were lower but credits were harder to earn.....rewards were small, you had to pay for things like levelling up abilities etc. Now, rewards for activities in game are higher, the activities are esier to achieve etc. so its all relative.

If someone cannot afford a fluff item off the GTN, its not the end of the world.

Years ago I remember spending 20m on a mount - I thought to myself I must be mad...it almost wiped out every credit I had at the time. All these years later, I've invested a LOT of time into the game and built up a "nest egg" of credits which I feel I deserve to keep. That same mount may now be 200m or maybe way more but my ability to buy it has also increased.

The ability to buy straight of the Cartel Market is also a lot easier this year now that you gain a lot of coins doing the galactic seasons, so again you can ignore the GTN for an awful lot of things.

Finally, even if they do deflate the economy somehow and reduce down the number of credits in game, the rich will still be relatively rich and the poor relatively poor. Some players have poured 10 years into the game and GTN play and should not be faulted for that and new players should not expect to have everything just handed to them as a right.

I do agree that maybe the devs should consider saying whether they intend to do something (without giving specifics necessarily) or whether they intend to do nothing.

Its obviously a topic people care about and as such, I feel the community manager should acknowledge that in some way. These are discussion forums after all and without any sort of comment by the developers of the game we are all just talking in a vacuum. It is the ONLY place for Devs and players to converse in a meaningful manner...the players are doing their bit in that regard but Dev participation is much lacking for a game hitting a big anniversary in my humble opinion.

Pricia
10.21.2021 , 05:09 AM | #257
Going to say this again - we need to increase the GTN cap.

Wilsu_Addar
10.21.2021 , 08:26 AM | #258
It's not a crazy difficult fix, really.

Increase GTN cap to 10 billion. GTN tax for anything 1b and under is 8%. Anything above 1b is taxed 12%.

Put a few high end mounts that cost 5b or 10b credits. Bring back an old Cartel Market mount that's been retired and make it available via credits.

Same for armor. Bring back some retired cosmetic armor, recolor it, and make each piece cost 500m or 1b. Maybe bring back the old Battlemaster or Rakata gear from launch. Whatever.

Just put heavy credit sinks into the game and the market will slowly correct itself. With less freeflowing credits and multiple high end credit sinks, prices will slowly fluctuate downward if people want to sell their goods.
Elite Warlord Malacaì - AP Powertech - Harbinger

Handing out dirt naps since 2003.

Toraak
10.21.2021 , 09:38 AM | #259
Quote: Originally Posted by Wilsu_Addar View Post
It's not a crazy difficult fix, really.

Increase GTN cap to 10 billion. GTN tax for anything 1b and under is 8%. Anything above 1b is taxed 12%.

Put a few high end mounts that cost 5b or 10b credits. Bring back an old Cartel Market mount that's been retired and make it available via credits.

Same for armor. Bring back some retired cosmetic armor, recolor it, and make each piece cost 500m or 1b. Maybe bring back the old Battlemaster or Rakata gear from launch. Whatever.

Just put heavy credit sinks into the game and the market will slowly correct itself. With less freeflowing credits and multiple high end credit sinks, prices will slowly fluctuate downward if people want to sell their goods.
This wouldn't really fix the problem for a couple of reasons.

1a) The character cap is 4.2 billion (roughly), so raising the GTN cap to 10 billion won't work.
1b) If you want 1a to work, then BW would have to make it possible to either raise the character credit cap (which I do not believe is needed), or allow the GTN to take it directly out of our Legacy storage. I'm 100% against this.

2) Those that have been playing for years and have gotten billions of credits generally don't spend them on cosmetics as much since that is the only thing in the game that costs much, So adding Cosmetic items for massive costs won't do much against the inflation, just take more credits from those that don't have as much.

The only good idea I'd suggest is to raise the GTN tax (and remove the guild perks that lower it). The problem with this is that people will just start using trade chat and completely stop using the GTN which will bypass the GTN tax completely making it useless as well.

With your idea, the rich will just keep getting richer, and those with less credits will continue to have less credits.

Wilsu_Addar
10.21.2021 , 09:52 AM | #260
Quote: Originally Posted by Toraak View Post
This wouldn't really fix the problem for a couple of reasons.

1a) The character cap is 4.2 billion (roughly), so raising the GTN cap to 10 billion won't work.
1b) If you want 1a to work, then BW would have to make it possible to either raise the character credit cap (which I do not believe is needed), or allow the GTN to take it directly out of our Legacy storage. I'm 100% against this.

2) Those that have been playing for years and have gotten billions of credits generally don't spend them on cosmetics as much since that is the only thing in the game that costs much, So adding Cosmetic items for massive costs won't do much against the inflation, just take more credits from those that don't have as much.

The only good idea I'd suggest is to raise the GTN tax (and remove the guild perks that lower it). The problem with this is that people will just start using trade chat and completely stop using the GTN which will bypass the GTN tax completely making it useless as well.

With your idea, the rich will just keep getting richer, and those with less credits will continue to have less credits.
1a) I still don't see the problem. Raise the character credit limit. People are more inclined to spend more money when they have more cash on them. Point of sale goes down dramatically if there is any difficulty in acquiring funds.

2) If you're saying rich people never spend money on cosmetics and that cosmetics are the only thing that costs a lot, then why is there a current problem? That would mean rich people never buy anything expensive, which would cause lower demand and lower prices. In addition, your generalization is not based on any fact whatsoever, as you have zero data to back up your claim. However, there is historical precedent both in the real word and gaming community that people enjoy status symbols, even if they're ridiculously expensive. Showing off wealth has been a human behaviors for thousands of years. Thus I'm willing to bet there will be plenty of people who would drop 5b or 10b for an awesome, unique mount.

Your assumption that people will use trade chat is also relatively unfounded. No one wants to sit around for hours at a time trying to sell something. It defeats the purpose of playing the game. The vast majority of sellers choose the GTN because it simply saves them time. This is true of any in-game market...free and instant advertising 24/7. It won't suddenly cease to exist because a handful of people don't want to pay an extra 4%.
Elite Warlord Malacaì - AP Powertech - Harbinger

Handing out dirt naps since 2003.