Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

The “Best View In SWTOR” Contest

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
The “Best View In SWTOR” Contest
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

Sarova
09.23.2021 , 10:38 AM | #21
Quote: Originally Posted by Ruvalie View Post
I'd like to know about this too. Also flashpoints (Assault on Tython, &c) and story areas. I'm assuming none of these are allowed but it would be nice to get clarification.
I'm wondering if anyone has looked in on this thread. Several of our questions need answers.
Iokath Needs Customised Quinns - || Quinn Treats™
Darth Rivix as Permanent Companion & Romance Pls!
My Rishi

LordCamTheGreat
09.23.2021 , 01:41 PM | #22
Questions so far that haven't been answered:

1) Why can't players from certain countries (Brazil, Romania, Russia and Ireland among others) take part in the competition?

2) Can screenshots be taken from within strongholds, flashpoints, operations and any other phases or do they have to be from the "open world"?

3) For players with higher native resolutions than 1920x1080, how should they submit their images? Do they:
  • Temporarily restrict in game resolution to 1920x1080 before taking a screenshot,
  • Take higher resolution screenshots and send those in for the SWTOR team to crop themselves,
  • Take higher resolution screenshots and crop ourselves before sending to the specified email.
I made a website containing notes about combat styles and ABC choices for reference while testing the PTS
Jack of all classes, master of some. Always remember that cake is a lie.

Cyber_Jedi
09.23.2021 , 02:10 PM | #23
I'd like to add another question to the list. The rules state that, "cheat[ing] to participate, such as a bot" will disqualify the entries. However, besides botting it doesn't elaborate on what else "cheating" could refer to. For my submissions, I'm wondering if the following would be considered "cheating":

- Use of movement speed buffs (i.e. Force Speed, Razor's Kickstart tactical) to bypass obstacles intended to keep the player from escaping the normal playing space

- Use of another player using a knockback (i.e. Force Wave, Force Push) to bypass obstacles intended to keep the player from escaping the normal playing space

- Use of a bug/exploit (semantics can be argued) in the game programming to bypass obstacles intended to keep the player from escaping the normal playing space

Thank you! This contest is amazing

P.S. If we wish to post additional pictures, not for the contest but because we wish to share with you our appreciation of this game, is there a way to do that?

hillerbees
09.23.2021 , 02:43 PM | #24
Quote: Originally Posted by Stradlin View Post
Games are about playing them..MMos are about multiple people playing them.

Empty vistas make nice promo pictures or concept art.

It is strange something like this went past " show us your characters" or "show us your SHs!" or " show us your guildships&bases!" Even making a point in ensuring no stinky playerchars are there to ruin them vistas.

Rewards for this are really cool though, to be sure.
I know they got us to post a pic of our toons a while back for a big collage type thing...so I guess they just want to do something different.

Aberd
09.23.2021 , 03:47 PM | #25
Can I photoshop out a harvesting node(s).
Crystals on Tatooine stand out like a sore thumb.
"The Dark Side of the Force is a pathway to many abilities some consider to be unnatural."

xordevoreaux
09.23.2021 , 03:50 PM | #26
Quote: Originally Posted by Aberd View Post
Can I photoshop out a harvesting node(s).
Crystals on Tatooine stand out like a sore thumb.
Can't alter the picture in any way.
About my SWTOR guilds
Check out my Sims4 mods on Nexus.

DanielSteed
09.23.2021 , 05:14 PM | #27 This is the last staff post in this thread.  
Hey everyone!

There were a handful of good questions asked in this thread and it took some time to gather the proper responses.

Why can't players from certain countries take part in the contest?

Unfortunately, currently the contest is only open to those listed in the contest guidelines. However, we are looking into how we can expand into more countries in the future. Note that this is subject to local laws and regulations.

Can screenshots be taken from within strongholds, flashpoints, etc?

Strongholds, Flashpoints, and other instances that take place on the listed planets are acceptable. The same listed rules apply to these areas as screenshots taken in the open-world version of the planets.

For players with higher native resolutions than 1920x1080, how should they submit their images?

We are clarifying the guidelines to be "1920x1080 or higher resolution". As long as the submitted screenshots are 1920x1080 or above, that is acceptable on our end. Reminder, we will be editing the chosen submissions to a 4:3 ratio to best fit our Stronghold decoration template.

Can I take screenshots from out-of-bounds?

Even if a player is able to get into an out-of-bounds area by purely in-game means, we feel like that is not in the spirit of the competition as it is clearly not intended for players to be there. Screenshots taken in such a manner would be subject to disqualification.

Daniel Steed | Community Coordinator
Follow us on Twitter @SWTOR | Like us on Facebook
[Contact Us] [Rules of Conduct] [F.A.Q.]

FlameYOL
09.23.2021 , 05:28 PM | #28
Quote: Originally Posted by DanielSteed View Post
Hey everyone!

There were a handful of good questions asked in this thread and it took some time to gather the proper responses.

Why can't players from certain countries take part in the contest?

Unfortunately, currently the contest is only open to those listed in the contest guidelines. However, we are looking into how we can expand into more countries in the future. Note that this is subject to local laws and regulations.

Strongholds, Flashpoints, and other instances that take place on the listed planets are acceptable. The same listed rules apply to these areas as screenshots taken in the open-world version of the planets.

For players with higher native resolutions than 1920x1080, how should they submit their images?

We are clarifying the guidelines to be "1920x1080 or higher resolution". As long as the submitted screenshots are 1920x1080 or above, that is acceptable on our end. Reminder, we will be editing the chosen submissions to a 4:3 ratio to best fit our Stronghold decoration template.

Can I take screenshots from out-of-bounds?

Even if a player is able to get into an out-of-bounds area by purely in-game means, we feel like that is not in the spirit of the competition as it is clearly not intended for players to be there. Screenshots taken in such a manner would be subject to disqualification.

Thanks for the clarification, Dan.
A man can have anything...If he's willing to sacrifice everything

LordCamTheGreat
09.23.2021 , 05:46 PM | #29
Thanks for the response!
I made a website containing notes about combat styles and ABC choices for reference while testing the PTS
Jack of all classes, master of some. Always remember that cake is a lie.

Sarova
09.24.2021 , 10:27 AM | #30
Quote: Originally Posted by DanielSteed View Post

WOOHOO! And thanks for replying
Iokath Needs Customised Quinns - || Quinn Treats™
Darth Rivix as Permanent Companion & Romance Pls!
My Rishi