Game Scaling Feedback

JackieKo

• Dev Post

With game scaling now available, we would like to compile feedback based off of your experience with the Combat Styles currently available.

Please answer the following questions:

• How does this experience compare to live?
  • Do you feel too strong or too weak? Please explain why.
  • Do you notice anything off with your stats?

Please keep in mind the following:

• Game scaling is available only for planets, daily areas, story mode Flashpoints, and chapters.
  • Game scaling is NOT available for old operations (Ops outside of 7.0), or Veteran and Master modes in Flashpoints

When providing feedback, please let us know what Combat Style you've chosen, and describe your experience in as much detail as possible to help us understand your thought process and line of thinking.

Thank you!

Edited by JackieKo

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I copied a level 75, geared up Sorcerer to PTS. Got the character to level 80, bought the 328 gear.

1. I went to Korriban. My character was level 80 and the K'lor'slugs were level 1. Results were predictable.

2. I went to Belsavis. My character was level 80 and the Primal Destroyer got destroyed in 15 seconds; I didn't even have a companion on.

3. Went to Onderon. My character was level 80 and the mobs were level 75. No excitement to be had there either.

I'm not sure what scaling is happening. So, I'll refrain from providing feedback at this time.

What does "game scaling" mean? Is this the system where a level 75 character (or level 80 as the case may be) is down leveled to the max level allowed by the map area? For example the level 75 character travels to Ilum and its stats reduced to level 50. Or is this something else altogether?

Similar to everyone else's comments, only place where I could get scaling to work was in story mode flashpoints.

I would say from my initial experiences of 3 runs last night that I felt powerful even when scaled down to the appropriate level, but it's a little harder to gauge because the enemies in some of those flashpoints are weaker or less dense than in the veteran / master mode versions. I imagine it will feel broadly the same to how level scaling currently feels on live at level 75.

Were there things that you tweaked in this iteration like damage multipliers or anything? I don't have much of a frame of reference currently, from memory I was able to steamroll through story mode flashpoints previously anyway. Maybe I feel slightly more powerful now but that could also be a result of the new passives giving additional burst.

I still managed to die once, so I suppose that's a good sign that you can't completely switch off and not pay attention to your health in these modes at level 80.

Requires more testing and/or a fix for planets to scale accordingly, but I'm not put off by my initial experiences.

Could you please make a few FP vet/master scaled?

That way we can actually gauge vs live.

• Hammer Station (everyone's done it)
  • Lost Island or Battle of Rishi
  • Umbara or Copero or Nathema
  • Enclave, Vengence or Meridian

SM really isn't a good place to check.

Also, at least a couple planets;

• Corusant/DK
  • Tattoine Alderaan or Quesh
  • Corellia
  • Oricon or CZ-198
  • Yavin 4
  • Mek-Sha or Onderon

This would give us a better cross-section from early to late game, while making it faster than you scaling everything.

Beyond that, does this mean you're going to make phased bosses more representative of original difficulty? Many are a sad joke ATM and it'd be nice if the phased areas 'fixed' that into a more meaningful experience (+/- difficulty options).

Hi all, Appreciate the feedback here. I've passed it along to the team, so they can review and investigate what's going on with game scaling.

Jackie

No scaling on Voss either, (with a character copied from live then upped to 80 at droid on fleet).

Here is a video of me killing Nightmare Pilgrim Voss world boss solo on PTS.

I found the 328 gear vendor, found the appropriate gear for my spec and equipped it. But there's a slight problem. Because I cant swap around mods etc... the stats are nothing like what i would be using on the live server. So it's really hard to comment on the scalling. Also because i didnt copy a character and dont have access to a ship my mobility is limited. It might be an idea to grant access to the class ship upon using the droid on the fleet to level up so that we are able to travel and play the game how we would normally so we can have a better basis for an accurate comparison.

I was doing the corellia daily 2+ heroics the wookie one and the Gold wookies were getting one shotted with Maul from stealth so then I just used sabre strike and they went down with 2 hits with a lvl 50 Nico helping as heals.

I have to admit it was kind of fun at 1st but... maybe a little too powerful ;) I don't think I heard Niko say "Look at me... Helping!" once.

With game scaling now available, we would like to compile feedback based off of your experience with the Combat Styles currently available.

> It was so awesome! My squishy lightning sorcerer managed to kill "The First" without losing a singhe hp; "Snowblind" losing 12%hp; "Lucky" losing 60%! With no comps or tacticals...

It was fun getting revenge on those wbs by myself; which reminds me, I gotta go get "Trapjaw" for the time I naively clicked a blue thing in the desert not knowing what would happen.

I don't think this is as intended. :D

I have not tested anything on the PTS but I just have a question: (From a PVE perspective) What's the point of increasing max level to 80 & gear to whatever its going to be when 99% of endgame content scales your stats/level down to level 70 anyway? Makes gearing, leveling, etc. almost completely and utterly pointless. PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE cut this level scaling out of endgame content. Let us enjoy and use the gear & stats we work hard to get in more than just 1 or 2 ops/flashpoints. I understand level scaling on planets, but this should not happen in Ops / MM flashpoints / etc.

Similar to other comments for planet scaling EG not working (solo'd Nightmare Pligrim for funizes). Did a story mode Red Reaper FP scaling seems ok for the most part but with the god bot lvl and a lvl 50 healer companion it was about the same as the live servers, except for boss fights. Bosses died within seconds 3-4 GCDs or so to my lvl 80 concentration sent w/ 328 gear felt like it was related to auto crit abilities (raging burst) as going off the floating damage numbers they would have been enough to 1 shot my character.

• 2 weeks later...
Having tested it on a few heroics I can say that lower level planets seem to be fine, I might need to pop up a DCD here and there for later planets. As far as SM FPs, they still feel pretty easy got through Nathema conspiracy without any issues.

I know that operations is besides the point of the original question but i can't help myself. Me and my buddies have been scratching our heads with the fate of capped and uncapped operations for a while since there has been silence regarding that (you know, because open world content and flashpoints are just like children's games compared to operations and scaled or unscaled, it makes no difference to the experience [unless they make it really hard... which they won't]). Thus, enter the speculation!

If you go to an operation, there's no downscaling at all. At first I thought that maybe, hopefully, they scale everything to lvl 80 so we can use the same gear everywhere. But then in this new build also tertiary stats are scaled/capped on planets. Maybe this indicates that they plan to apply stat templates to older operations and make gear completely irrelevant in operations? I would like this option over the current system on live.

• 3 weeks later...

We tried to do Toborro’s Courtyard story mode on the PTS and it was a horrible, horrible mistake. We boosted our characters to level 80, got level 80 item-rating 318 gear, got two free legendary earpieces, went in with a tank 5 DPS and 2 healers and got our butts handed to us. The boss had 27 million health vs the current in-game TC which only has about 8 million. Even with using the Isotopes constantly and using all the defensives I had we barely got to 80% after our third try. We aren’t sure if the Game Scaling is bad, if Toborro itself is bad, or if we were supposed to go get more gear through Flashpoints or something similar first before going into Operations. It was pretty miserable lol.

We also tried Umbara Flashpoint with a similar kind of group on Veteran Mode (random through Groupfinder) and it was REALLY hard. Like.. doable, but out patient team quit after the first boss.

Corellia Black Hole enemies seemed fine.

I tried to attack Trapjaw alone and he 1-hit me as a tank (LOL).

I think its good to start by stating that since there has not been an official post about flashpoints and operations, I assume they might not have tuned those at all, just set them to 80. That being said:

I did master Hammer Station with 319 gear with no augments. Bosses died quite slowly and tank took a lot of damage but overall it was fine. The loot was blue 320 items which was an upgrade over what we were wearing so that worked out too.

I've heard that operation scaling is little whack and sm bosses enrage with nim players handling them. That is probably not as it should be, I would assume that doing HM in 320 gear would lead to that result. I have not tried Vet FPs but since Master FPs felt pretty solid scaling, I assume Vet FPs are fine too. although, lack of healer and inaccesibility to combat resses might cause some inconvenience. If the intention is that Vet FP can be completed regardless of the group comp (no tanks or healers), that might be difficult with 320 gear.