Galactic Seasons - Season 2 Updates

DavidStaats

Hi all!

I wanted to take an opportunity to sit down with you and chat about some of the systemic changes we are moving toward with Galactic Seasons: Season 2.

You have all provided a ton of great feedback, both from our original PTS but also throughout this first Season. That feedback has helped us continue to shape and refine how Galactic Seasons looks and feels, and we would like to share that with you here before the next Season begins with the launch of “Legacy of the Sith”. Let’s dive in!

Moving Priority Objectives Into Their Own Tab

With Season 2, we will be moving the Priority Objectives out of the greater Conquest Objectives list and putting them into their own tab within the Conquest Window. This was one of the largest points of feedback provided throughout the original Galactic Seasons PTS, and we are excited to get that adjustment in for Season 2.

When opening the Conquest window you will see two tabs--one for Conquest Objectives, and a second for Priority Objectives. By clicking on the Priority Objectives window, players will be able to see the list of Priority Objectives they have available to them, which/how many they have completed, and which/how many they still have available to complete.

Changes to Priority Objectives

Daily Emphasis is shifting to Weekly Emphasis

With Season 1 there was a strong emphasis on Daily participation. This is evident in both the feel of the Season as well as our Season 1 point allocation, as shown below:

Percent of Total Galactic Season Points - Season 1:

• Login: 11% (Sub) / 8% (Free/Pref)
  • Weekly: 32% (Sub) / 33% (Free/Pref)
  • Daily: 57% (Sub) / 58% (Free/Pref)

For Season 2, we are flipping this around to instead focus on a week-to-week emphasis. As such, Season 2 will change from 2 Dailies and 2 Weeklies to 1 Daily and 10 Weeklies. Looking back at the Percent of Total Galactic Season Points allocation for Season 2, this is where it ends up:

Percent of Total Galactic Season Point - Season 2

• Login: 9% (Sub) / 5% (Free/Pref)
  • Weekly: 74% (Sub) / 76% (Free/Pref)
  • Daily: 16% (Sub) / 19% (Free/Pref)

Our goals with this philosophy change is to:

• Ease the stress of daily participation and the feeling of missing out if you simply cannot log in for that specific day, or series of days.
  • More closely align with the Login Reward philosophy of “at your own pace”.
  • Provide all players more time to plan their Galactic Seasons week; both for themselves and their friends.

Priority Objectives are no longer randomized

By moving off the day-to-day and into the week-to-week philosophy for Galactic Seasons, we are also removing the randomized granting of Priority Objectives. All players will be given the same 10 Weekly Priority Objectives for the week, which will change from week to week. We hope this provides a clearer map for players to plan out their week; when they want to attack each PO, and how (with or without friends).

Choose any 7 Weekly structure

To give a larger net of flexibility in Priority Objective options, players will only need to complete 7 out of the 10 Weekly Priority Objectives. Once a player has completed their chosen 7 Weekly Priority Objectives, the other 3 will then become locked out for the remainder of the week. We want to provide players a way to earn as many Galactic Season Points as possible each week, while being able to participate in Objectives they find the most appealing.

Daily Priority Objective is simply to earn Conquest

As mentioned above, there will only be 1 Daily Priority Objective which will simply consist of “Earn Personal Conquest Experience”. Our goal is to give players the flexibility to continue playing Star Wars: The Old Republic however they wish on a day-to-day basis, while still making progress in the Season.

In a later post, we will go into a few more details as to what the Season 2 Priority Objectives may look like. In the meantime, we would love to hear your initial thoughts on the proposed changes coming to Season 2 before we move into broader testing in a later PTS phase.

Thanks again for your continued feedback!

EDIT: Link to follow up post.

Edited by JackieKo

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This sounds pretty good, and quite a big improvement over season 1.

One of the most annoying things about season 1 was that daily/weekly objectives often did not align with what friends/guild mates had. Allowing people to pick what they wish to complete from the whole pool of objectives shared by everyone that week allows people to actually do these together. It will also fix people who don't do pvp getting stuck with GSF/PVP weeklies/dailies.

I will be looking forward to see what the season 2 objectives will be like.

Edited by Darthjantom

to be honest, i like the dailies more ... i like having the option per day as to what i do for dailies , aka being able to refresh them per day ... currently the weeklies can only be refreshed 1x per week (big downside) Edited by nyla_ryn

So, obviously the whole story is about what the weekly objectives will be. Because everything else - especially the so-called Daily Objective - is now trivial. (*) So, naturally, there's nothing in the post at all about the Weekly Objectives.

(*) Log in once a day, defeat a random mob for 10 Conquest Points, and you've done the Daily Objective on that server.

Edited by mike_carton

Sounds promising, the switching of focus from dailies to weeklies are gonna be helpful for people who can't log-in everyday (or who don't want to do seasons every day) and potentially help people like me who grinded every objective since it'll probably give me more points allowing me to complete the season faster, though I can't give a final verdict until we know how objectives are going to work. Otherwise this could potentially be grindier. Are we going to be testing Seasons in the PTS again?

Percent of Total Galactic Season Points - Season 1:

• Login: 11% (Sub) / 8% (Free/Pref)
  • Weekly: 32% (Sub) / 33% (Free/Pref)
  • Daily: 57% (Sub) / 58% (Free/Pref)

• Login: 88(11%) (Sub) / 64(8%) (Free/Pref) 11 weeks to full completion(sub)?
  • Weekly: 256(32%) (Sub) / 264(33%) (Free/Pref) 10,6 weeks?
  • Daily: 456(57%) (Sub) / 472(58%) (Free/Pref)10,87 weeks

* PLEASE NOTE THAT % DOESN'T ALWAYS ADD TO 100% :D

Are the above data i based on in-game gathered data?

Because it look like you did the simple math that everyone will be doing everything everyday till 11 week?

• Login: 72(9%) (Sub) / 40(5%) (Free/Pref) 9 WEEKS
  • Weekly: 592(74%) (Sub) / 608(76%) (Free/Pref) 7 WEEKS
  • Daily: 128(16%) (Sub) / 152(19%) (Free/Pref) 6 WEEKS

The math doesn't add up.... so.. Can we do the GS faster or

hmm are you going to change number of points for Login, Daily and Weekly?

Season 2 will change from 2 Dailies and 2 Weeklies to 1 Daily and 10 Weeklies.

So you take 7 dailies a week and give us 8( more accurately 5 more ) Weeklies 'to do'

But weeklies require mostly to do 3 times more then dailies sooo.

So you take 7 but give 5*3= 15 more...8 more 'dailies' to do weekly :D

Could you reaveal your math?

Regard,

Peter

This all sounds good. I do like the idea of having greater focus on weeklies and having everyone getting all the same weeklies. Although this season did prompt me to try GSF again it will be nice to not have situations where the only options, after a reroll, are GSF and PVP (GSF on DM when you are in the States can be very frustrating). Of course, the next big question is the point structure. Assuming that everything stays the same then one could complete the entire season in 7.1weeks, 3.9 weeks sooner than this season.

7.1 ( 8 + 12(7) + 3(7) ) = 802 points

I am guessing that either point values will be changed, the length of the season will be shortened, the max level will be increased, or some combination thereof. Or maybe everything will stay the same, which would be quite interesting.

I am looking forward to the next post-season debrief.

Edited by ceryxp

Means for any given week, game-wide, everyone is chasing down the same 10 weekly objectives rather than distributing people across objectives.

Fast traveling to the heroic kiosk on Taris, we'll all see a sign that reads: Queue forms behind this line

At least while chasing down insects on Tatooine there was some solace that there were only 15 people there, not 50.

New galactic seasons skill: Not only flipping maps to avoid the crowd but bouncing back and forth between objectives to less-populated areas.

Guess we'll just have to see how it plays out.

Edited by xordevoreaux

This is awesome! We normally have to all reroll weeklies to have the same, and even then it doesn't work out half the time which really sucks. Our guild is pretty close-knit and we like doing everything together so we are going to love this change!

I like the IDEA of it but it will largely depend on the weekly objectives.

If half of them require you to group, I'm going to hate this (meaning operations, vet flashpoints, uprisings etc).

Edited by Pricia

I like this approach! Part of the problem for my partner and I was having to separate a lot in the content we completed. Shifting the focus from dailies to weeklies with consistent plans allows us to work out what to and when together. :)

It will take knowing what the weeklies are and how much daily personal conquest is needed to be certain, but this sounds like a massive improvement.

A lot of the negative feedback I saw was from players not wanting to be forced to do pvp and gsf, but by tying dailies to personal conquest and giving a choice of 10 weeklies to complete, there is much greater freedom in how you complete the season track.

The personal conquest amount needs to be properly balanced so that it doesn't take longer than it would have taken to do 2 dailies on live and/or have certain conquest objectives such as killing 25 mobs reward more points. If it takes longer to complete the daily po than killing 75 bugs and doing a warzone, we'll be back at square one.

• Login: 88(11%) (Sub) / 64(8%) (Free/Pref) 11 weeks to full completion(sub)?
  • Weekly: 256(32%) (Sub) / 264(33%) (Free/Pref) 10,6 weeks?
  • Daily: 456(57%) (Sub) / 472(58%) (Free/Pref)10,87 weeks

* PLEASE NOTE THAT % DOESN'T ALWAYS ADD TO 100% :D

Are the above data i based on in-game gathered data?

Because it look like you did the simple math that everyone will be doing everything everyday till 11 week?

The percentages from Season 1 appear to be based on the total amount you can earn in a week.

Subscriber login for at least 4 days = 8 points out of 74 total = 10.8% which rounds up to 11%

Two weekly POs = 24 points out of 74 total = 32.4% which rounds down to 32%

Seven days of two daily POs = 42 points out of 74 total = 56.7% which rounds up to 57%

11+32+57 = 100

That's the Season 1 distribution. Regarding S2, we don't know for sure:

1. if during season 2 the total number of points needed to reach level 100 will change (will it be 800 like S1 or more or less)
  2. if the point values per task will change (will daily POs still be 3 points? Will weekly POs be 12 points? Will the sub login reward be 8 points?)
  3. if the amount earned per week will stay the same (will it still be max 74/week just distributed differently?)

However, we can make some guesses, based on this:

Assuming that the weekly subscriber login-for-four-days reward remains 8 points, the fact that it will in season 2 constitute only 9% of the week's total means that the weekly point total in S2 will have to be higher than 74. It might be around 89, since 8 / 0.09 = 88.88

Assuming now that the total will be around 89, we can estimate that the number of points from dailies would be 14 (16% of 89) which implies the daily PO will be worth 2 points.

And finishing out the educated guessing, since we only need to do 7 weekly POs to cap out our weekly earnings, that would mean the weekly POs will be worth around 9 points each.

These estimates bring a total possible per week of 85, and going back to our first assumption, 0.09 x 85 = 7.65 which does round up to 8 points.

Means for any given week, game-wide, everyone is chasing down the same 10 weekly objectives rather than distributing people across objectives.

Maybe. I think its safe to assume that at least four of the ten total will be the ones we already know:

• One regular operation according to a theme or (x3) of a certain lair boss operation
  • Three Veteran mode flashpoints of a certain theme
  • Four GSF matches
  • Three unranked warzones

And there won't be any "conflicts" of people working on the objectives in those cases. Furthermore, this:

Choose any 7 Weekly structure

To give a larger net of flexibility in Priority Objective options, players will only need to complete 7 out of the 10 Weekly Priority Objectives. Once a player has completed their chosen 7 Weekly Priority Objectives, the other 3 will then become locked out for the remainder of the week. We want to provide players a way to earn as many Galactic Season Points as possible each week, while being able to participate in Objectives they find the most appealing.

will help to dilute the people chasing objectives that are dependent on respawns.

I'm hoping that the awards for next season are more interesting then yet another companion. We already have so many and can only use eight at once! So I'm really hoping for something super-new and cool to win. I would also really love it if we weren't forced into PvP to get our prizes.

Thank you for the information!

Here are my suggestions.

* Never send us to defeat insectoids on specific planets, as the few sites with insects get very crowded. Either allow us to kill any enemies on a set of planets, or let us kill a set of enemies on any planet. Don't restrict it from both directions.

* Don't swap out the rewards at the vendor every week. I worked for weeks to save up tokens, then when I hit the vendor, the thing I wanted was gone and I had no idea when it will be back. Somebody told me it would be back in a month. I thought... yeah, a month from now, I'm going to remember to catch it at the right time? Don't make us wait weeks to get the reward we just spend weeks working to earn, it is extremely frustrating.

* Maybe I'm reading this wrong. You said, "there will only be 1 Daily Priority Objective which will simply consist of Earn Personal Conquest Experience.” If a mission doesn't give us GS points, don't put it on the GS tab. That's misleading and confusing. Daily missions can give us conquest XP but they should also progress us at least a little bit up the GS levels.

* Please do continue offering stronghold decorations throughout the season, however put them lower in the levels. I don't mind if tokens and companion gifts and cartel coins are higher up. If I don't get them in one season, I can earn them in the next season. I don't want to miss out on unique gifts if I can't make it to level 100 in time.

Here's what I would really like to see.

There are 10 weekly missions. Divide them up each week into:

* 1 Operation

* 2 Flashpoints

* 2 Uprisings

* 3 Heroic missions on a set of worlds

* 3 Heroic missions on another set of worlds

* 3 Unranked warzones

* 3 GSF

* 3 Daily missions

* Defeat any enemies on specific worlds

* Defeat specific enemies on any world

That way everyone gets at least one mission doing something they enjoy.

(Or whatever number of repeats makes sense, the main point is to divide up the types of activities.)

Thanks for reading!

Edited by Xina_LA

As long as you can complete each 7 of the required weekly mission SOLO. Meaning I don't have to PVP, I don't have to GSF, I don't have to do GROUP Flashpoints, I don't have to do Operations. Nothing where I need someone else. yes this is an MMO but I got to games to escape people not go to them.

I'm sorry, but this sucks.

With the daily missions, I knew exactly how long it would take to compleate them, how many points per week I could get, and how long it would take to finish the season.

Now with forced weekly missions, which will likely require more random group activities (gsf, pvp, operations, flashpoints, etc.) this will make things more difficult to be able to plan out time wise, but also more difficult for players that play at off hours (or on dead servers) when it is almost impossible to find a random group for anything.

Not a fan. I did the Dailies because a lot of them I could do solo. I didn't do a single Weekly because it required group content. If people were relying on Login/Dailies over the Weeklies during Season 1, then there was probably a reason for it. Also if the Weekly stuff requires open area mobs, it's going to become a nightmare as a lot of time, people will not group so you're just going to be fighting a ton of people for the same objective. Edited by Farferello

As long as you can complete each 7 of the required weekly mission SOLO. Meaning I don't have to PVP, I don't have to GSF, I don't have to do GROUP Flashpoints, I don't have to do Operations. Nothing where I need someone else. yes this is an MMO but I got to games to escape people not go to them.

Since there will be 10 weekly PO's available each week, and likely at least 4 of them will be devoted to group content (PVP, GSF, OPs, FPs), that will likely mean that someone who wants to play completely solo will likely only be able to complete 6 of the weekly PO's.

With the daily missions, I knew exactly how long it would take to compleate them, how many points per week I could get, and how long it would take to finish the season.

Now with forced weekly missions, which will likely require more random group activities (gsf, pvp, operations, flashpoints, etc.) this will make things more difficult to be able to plan out time wise, but also more difficult for players that play at off hours (or on dead servers) when it is almost impossible to find a random group for anything.

How will that not be true in Season 2? You log in on Tuesday after reset, review that weeks weekly PO's, decide which ones you are going to do, and then work on them at your own pace over the following week. Gone will be the uncertainty of what daily PO's you will receive. Gone will be the possibility of getting both PVP and GSF.

I do not understand your reasoning that those who play on dead servers (there is only one that is close to dead) or at off times will find Season 2 more difficult. How is moving from daily PO's to weekly going to affect their ability to get a group? The group PVE PO's are already all weekly, so if they have trouble finding groups now then will still have trouble in Season 2. Nothing about this change is going to affect that.

Lastly, as I said above, there will be 10 weekly PO's, and likely 4 of them will be group content focused. You will have multiple options from which to choose. True, we do not know what the solo PVE weekly PO's will be, but if we make some assumptions they will do something like the current PVP and GSF daily and weekly PO's. 1 daily match or 3 / 4 matches in a week. 75 kills in a daily, so 225 - 300 kills for the weekly. How can you not plan for that? I would think that that would actually be easier to plan for since it is fairly easy to know what the off hours are and one can plan to work on their kills, or heroics, or dailies during that time.

How will that not be true in Season 2? You log in on Tuesday after reset, review that weeks weekly PO's, decide which ones you are going to do, and then work on them at your own pace over the following week. Gone will be the uncertainty of what daily PO's you will receive. Gone will be the possibility of getting both PVP and GSF.

I do not understand your reasoning that those who play on dead servers (there is only one that is close to dead) or at off times will find Season 2 more difficult. How is moving from daily PO's to weekly going to affect their ability to get a group? The group PVE PO's are already all weekly, so if they have trouble finding groups now then will still have trouble in Season 2. Nothing about this change is going to affect that.

Because it takes away the daily PO's that you could receive and clear without the need of a group. When you use a level 10 alt as the log in character each day, because of the level, there are only 4 daily PO's that are in the available pool. Home world kills, Capital world kills, PVP, and GSF. With 1 reroll, even if you start with PVP and GSF, you will get a kill count daily. So at the very minimum, you know you would be able to obtain 29 points per week.

The problem I'm noticing is that if the weeklies will be divided between the free players and the subscribers. I'm a perpetual subscriber but that the free players might feel left out in the process. What kind of ratio is being done to ensure that free players aren't being left out. I should also note that there are a lot of players who don't like the weeklies because of how difficult it is to get a team together for those Ops that are required to do in order to complete it. There are quite a few weeklies I skip over because of how difficult it is to get a random or guild team together for them.

Scum and Villainy, Terror From Beyond are just two examples. How about adding more weeklies that allow players to run multiple SM Star Fortresses and Flashpoints. Everything seems to be built on Veteran Mode, which puts a lot of players off.