Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Short Story - Seeing Red

First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

JayWatamaniuk
07.14.2021 , 02:37 PM | #1 This is the last staff post in this thread.  
Greetings from up North!

My name’s Jay, and I’ve been with BioWare since the days of Neverwinter Nights. The last 12+ years have been spent on the writing side of game development, getting my start on the tail end of Mass Effect 2. About a year and half ago, I jumped at the chance to work with the talented SWTOR team down in Austin and haven’t looked back.

For a kid that grew up playing with Star Wars action figures, it’s been a tremendous privilege of adding a few of my own stories to the vast Star Wars universe. Two of my favorite new characters - Jekiah and Rass Ordo - were introduced in the flashpoint, Spirit of Vengeance.

But trouble never left an Ordo alone for very long. Left to oversee the Mandalorians after Shae Vizla begins her hunt for the treacherous Field Marshal Heta Kol, Jekiah faces his first crisis when a conflict between two clans turns bloody in the short story “Seeing Red.”

Hope you enjoy it.

K'oyacyi!
Jay Watamaniuk | Senior Writer
Follow us on Twitter @SWTOR | Like us on Facebook
[Contact Us] [Rules of Conduct] [F.A.Q.]

casirabit
07.14.2021 , 03:10 PM | #2
Very nice. Good writing.
A girl should be two things: classy and fabulous. A girl should also always be a lady even when arguing.

OlBuzzard
07.14.2021 , 06:32 PM | #3
Good read ... I like it !!
I sense a disturbance in the force ....
What was ... is no longer
"Tear down this wall"

Estelindis
07.14.2021 , 06:35 PM | #4
Nice to see NWN folk still going strong in BW!

I enjoyed the story very much. Great pacing, characterization, and atmosphere. Especially liked the framing of the start vs. the end.
|| Trask Ulgo 🡢 The Progenitor 🡢 Darth Malgus ||
Let's Fix 6.0 Crafting
More love for class companions, please.

Char_Ell
07.14.2021 , 06:46 PM | #5
I liked this story. I am interested to see if and how this factors in to a certain character's disappearance.

I'm not sure why I haven't thought of this before but after reading "A great pain in the shebs" in this story I got to wondering if Mando'a language is still used in Disney era of Star Wars.
Quote:
"RP'ing is super important, right? As a Star Wars game, people being able to immerse themselves in that world is very, very important. But having an instance or a server type dedicated to that doesn't necessarily like enforce a ruleset of you having to RP there. So what we felt was more important was making sure that we can build toolsets for RP'ers, things like being able to make your own chat channels and work within those chat channels and things like that. So know that it's very important to us that RP'ers have the tools they need to roleplay but we didn't feel that actually separating an instance type just for it was necessarily the right solution. So you're not at all forgotten. We definitely want to make sure that RP'ers are accounted for in those changes that we made."
Eric Musco, 2016 April 5 SWTOR Producer Livestream
https://www.twitch.tv/swtor/v/58826060 - time reference 13:22 - 13:57

FlameYOL
07.14.2021 , 07:34 PM | #6
Good evening from Brazil, Jay. Nice to make your acquaintance, its an honor to meet someone who has worked on my favorite gaming company for this long. I really like Jekiah, and Rass had a good introduction in Spirit of Vengeance I hope we get to see more of him in the future.
As for the actual story, its lovely, it has everything a mandalorian story needs. Which to put it simply is a lot of battle, clan drama and a great resolution.
Spoiler

TLDR: Loved the story, looking forward to your future contributions to SWTOR lore.
A man can have anything...If he's willing to sacrifice everything

VilianSW
07.14.2021 , 08:46 PM | #7
Great read - especially enjoyed the combat scene and the ending. Thank you for sharing.

TrixxieTriss
07.14.2021 , 10:17 PM | #8
Good story. 👏🏻
Do you want to be a better objective pvper?
Click here for a “How to PvP Guide”

ForfiniteStories
07.15.2021 , 12:27 AM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by JayWatamaniuk View Post
the days of Neverwinter Nights.
Holy Matrimony, that takes me back ...to the first Bioware game I ever played, back when I was still in High School. I remember it fondly, and will revisit it someday.
"Nothing beats an A-wing." - Tallie Lintra, Battlefront II: Starfighter Assault

Ahwassa
07.15.2021 , 01:56 AM | #10
Wow, that's really good.