Poor People's GTN (PPGTN)

xordevoreaux

(or a better name for it)

This post is a follow-on to my post on this thread:

1. A standalone sandbox so it doesn't affect the existing GTN

2. Maximum price for anything is capped at 1 million credits

3. Any legacy that has listings on the regular GTN cannot list anything on the PPGTN and vice-versa.

4. While you cannot post listings to both GTN's, you can buy from either. To prevent whales from sucking out every last bit of content from the PPGTN in a single swoop (to sell in the larger GTN), maximum purchase amount per day (maybe per week?) per legacy is limited to 1 million credits.

That means whales can be whales on the regular GTN and don't have to worry about OTHER whales playing both sides of the market, because you can only be in one market or the other any given time across all your toons.

So if someone's being a GTN troll artificially squashing prices for other people by dumping commodities at lower prices, that troll cannot also troll the same set of buyers in both GTNs. They have to pick where they want to be a bully. Same problem, different scale, but they still have to pick which pond they want to poison, and they can only poison one at a time.

With such a secondary GTN, novice/small-time buyers and sellers can interact in an economic exchange without suffering the wild pricing and massive volumes of commodity movement of the regular GTN, because whales wanting to make huge sums of money will ignore the PPGTN.

Edited by xordevoreaux

3. Any legacy that has listings on the regular GTN cannot list anything on the PPGTN and vice-versa.

4. While you cannot post listings to both GTN's, you can buy from either. To prevent whales from sucking out every last bit of content from the PPGTN in a single swoop (to sell in the larger GTN), maximum purchase amount per day (maybe per week?) per legacy is limited to 1 million credits.

That means whales can be whales on the regular GTN and don't have to worry about OTHER whales playing both sides of the market, because you can only be in one market or the other any given time across all your toons.

So if someone's being a GTN troll artificially squashing prices for other people by dumping commodities at lower prices, that troll cannot also troll the same set of buyers in both GTNs. They have to pick where they want to be a bully. Same problem, different scale, but they still have to pick which pond they want to poison, and they can only poison one at a time.

With such a secondary GTN, novice/small-time buyers and sellers can interact in an economic exchange without suffering the wild pricing and massive volumes of commodity movement of the regular GTN, because whales wanting to make huge sums of money will ignore the PPGTN.

I think you're forgetting BW most likely prefers the high prices on the GTN. It drives some players to purchase cartel coins to obtain things from the CM directly or to sell on the GTN for credits. Whatever number this subset of players, it's enough that they've allowed the economy to devolve into the mess it is now.

Edited by arunav

I think you're forgetting BW most likely prefers the high prices on the GTN. It drives some players to purchase cartel coins to obtain things from the CM directly or to sell on the GTN for credits. Whatever number this subset of players, it's enough that they've allowed the economy to devolve into the mess it is now.

Unfortunately most online game economies suffer ridiculous inflation, Everquest 1 and 2 great examples. My main EQ2 account has 24 thousand platinum in its bank. Back when the game started, that was a phenomenal amount, now it's peanuts.

In the case of Eq1, the game overprinted money from day 1, showering the game's largest coin denomination on the heads of the game's lowest-level players, all you needed to do was kill a diseased rat in the starter area of Paineel, and boom, the diseased rat tail that dropped sold as trash to a vendor for 1 plat. That was eventually reduced to 10 silvers, but the damage was done. There are many examples of that.

We could run through a complete postmortem of the Star Wars economy and assess the affect of gold sellers, exploits, and other processes that drove the value of a credit into the dirt, but like other games, the damage is done.

Not everyone is cartel coin rich, or has enough of a balance on a credit card to burn to get more, and there are large credit sinks in the game, so whatever we conjecture the reason might be for a lack of a tight economy, it is what it is, and this suggestion was one way to offer a subset of players shelter from the largess of that economy.

Edited by xordevoreaux

Getting people to buy CC to make CM purchases has nothing to do with condoning a broken game economy and the spoiling of the game by people with too much money. Wealth is not the purpose of this game, this game is about entertainment by "dwelling" in SWTOR. People f*cking up the experience is not why we subscribe.

They should cut the price of CM items so more people can afford to indulge and see it as a micro-purchase rather than a large ticket item "special" occasion treat. Reduce the cost of EVERYTHING on CM by a factor of 10 and people will gobble up the content rather than participate in the inflationary exploits in-game. Make it all BoL.

Many looks can be cobbled together using in-game items, you just don't get the "cool name", but the essence of Star Wars is bodged-together outfits so this is totally in keeping with the ethos of the experience.

In-game currency should only purchase in-game items, that will deflate the entire motivation to earn stupid credits. That and a price limit on items that is dictated by level of the item, free-market capitalism is a broken concept that clearly does not work in the game and real world because a-holes will always try to ruin it for the rest of us.

Given the prices that vendors buy back items at, sale prices should not be more than 2-3 times that amount. Dialing back the price of personal "equipment" would allow them to set suitably high costs for genuinely large ticket items like vehicles, ship mods and housing.

Getting people to buy CC to make CM purchases has nothing to do with condoning a broken game economy and the spoiling of the game by people with too much money. Wealth is not the purpose of this game, this game is about entertainment by "dwelling" in SWTOR. People f*cking up the experience is not why we subscribe.

They should cut the price of CM items so more people can afford to indulge and see it as a micro-purchase rather than a large ticket item "special" occasion treat. Reduce the cost of EVERYTHING on CM by a factor of 10 and people will gobble up the content rather than participate in the inflationary exploits in-game. Make it all BoL.

Many looks can be cobbled together using in-game items, you just don't get the "cool name", but the essence of Star Wars is bodged-together outfits so this is totally in keeping with the ethos of the experience.

In-game currency should only purchase in-game items, that will deflate the entire motivation to earn stupid credits. That and a price limit on items that is dictated by level of the item, free-market capitalism is a broken concept that clearly does not work in the game and real world because a-holes will always try to ruin it for the rest of us.

Given the prices that vendors buy back items at, sale prices should not be more than 2-3 times that amount. Dialing back the price of personal "equipment" would allow them to set suitably high costs for genuinely large ticket items like vehicles, ship mods and housing.

If it wasn't for free-market capitalism in the real world, this game simply wouldn't exist. Star Wars itself wouldn't exist. You have the right to your own political ideology, but that doesn't make people that disagree with you the evil villains you want to believe they are. You can hate me all you want, but I enjoy the market / economy aspect of the game. It gives me something to do while waiting for queues to pop or an NPC to respawn. Feel free to enjoy whatever you "subscribe" for, but I've watched and read a lot of Star Wars and there's no shortage of lore surrounding acquiring wealth. I'll continue to "dwell" on SWTOR doing Star Wars things, even when those things are things you don't enjoy.

If it wasn't for free-market capitalism in the real world, this game simply wouldn't exist. Star Wars itself wouldn't exist. You have the right to your own political ideology, but that doesn't make people that disagree with you the evil villains you want to believe they are. You can hate me all you want, but I enjoy the market / economy aspect of the game. It gives me something to do while waiting for queues to pop or an NPC to respawn. Feel free to enjoy whatever you "subscribe" for, but I've watched and read a lot of Star Wars and there's no shortage of lore surrounding acquiring wealth. I'll continue to "dwell" on SWTOR doing Star Wars things, even when those things are things you don't enjoy.

Unbridled free-market capitalism is not necessary for progress, and games are hardly what saves us or drives us forward as a species. People who ruin a game for no design-intended reason are "villains" as you introduced the label. The immoral, unethical ideological fanaticism encapsulated in the dogma you are idolising is flawed, that is what is being questioned, not the fundamentals of a free market. There is no adverse consequence within the game for the acquisition of extreme wealth, you cannot be targeted by the authorities or the criminals, there is no check or balance to piling up your gold. By all means introduce various mechanics whereby no-one's infamous wealth is safe and that would be a welcome addition to the game "economy".

Unbridled free-market capitalism is not necessary for progress, and games are hardly what saves us or drives us forward as a species. People who ruin a game for no design-intended reason are "villains" as you introduced the label. The immoral, unethical ideological fanaticism encapsulated in the dogma you are idolising is flawed, that is what is being questioned, not the fundamentals of a free market. There is no adverse consequence within the game for the acquisition of extreme wealth, you cannot be targeted by the authorities or the criminals, there is no check or balance to piling up your gold. By all means introduce various mechanics whereby no-one's infamous wealth is safe and that would be a welcome addition to the game "economy".

You are mad. I am happy. I have fun. My fun makes you sad. That makes me sad too. I'll have fun. That will make me happy again. Sorry you're sad.

If a whale demands 500.000.000 credits for a single item, they should loose up to 75% of this value in taxes, when the item is sold on GTN. The inflation based on greed can be, and should be, cured with extreme taxes.

lol, because that would really solve it....

They'll never do it, for one, if people were getting fleeced for selling stuff on the gtn, they'd stop selling, then these people would stop buying CM stuff, BW would lose out on hundreds, if not thousands of cartel purchases.

Also, while stuff is high priced, people are more inclined to get cartel coins, and buy the stuff themselves, so it's in BW's own best interest to keep stuff high.

If you find stuff too high, you can earn CC's yourself, and get what you need that way.

1. 500 for a sub

2. 100 extra for security

3 4000 cc's for a galactic season, do it on all 5, that's 20k. Not sure of the length of GS, don't have the dates on hand, but lets say 6 months, works at over 3k a month

So each month, with a little work, you can earn nearly 4k cc's. Not to mention the little few you can pick up from achievements.

another option on this PPGTN, could be that everything bought from it is BoL, so that people can't buy it out, then sell it on the normal GTN. So if those people that really want to help people, list their stuff on the PPGTN, they'll know that whomever is buying it, is using it themselves

So each month, with a little work, you can earn nearly 4k cc's.

Seems impossible "with a little work". Rather a lot of work and time have to be put into playing the Bioware-way (not my way), only to stack CC in order to buy items for CC, and not for credits. This cannot help GTN which is based on credits.

And is it really a solution to work towards 4k cc each month? To buy packs and sell stuff like the whales today do for a huge amount of credits? To become one of them, driven by greed...

Or maybe should buy items for my own use from CM instead of GTN ... but this also will not cure the inflation.

Edited by Grendel_Echo

Seems impossible "with a little work". Rather a lot of work and time have to be put into playing the Bioware-way (not my way), only to stack CC in order to buy items for CC, and not for credits. This cannot help GTN which is based on credits.

And is it really a solution to work towards 4k cc each month? To buy packs and sell stuff like the whales today do for a huge amount of credits? To become one of them, driven by greed...

Or maybe should buy items for my own use from CM instead of GTN ... but this also will not cure the inflation.

It doesn't take much to do GS, at first I thought it would, but I've gotten in to a comfortable pattern, where I can play mostly story, with gsf/pvp as I do, and with that, I get GS daily. I also get to play MY way.

The cc's you can use to outfit yourself, or sell, it's your choice.

You attack BW because you say they want you to play the game their way, but you want to play it your way, THEN you attack people who play the GTN, for playing the game their way, and you want them to play the way you want, not the way they want.....

Most of the people playing the gtn, are playing it as a mini game, greed has nothing to do with it.

If a whale demands 500.000.000 credits for a single item, they should loose up to 75% of this value in taxes, when the item is sold on GTN. The inflation based on greed can be, and should be, cured with extreme taxes.

This doesn't work in real life, will not work in the game.

Will just promote sales through chat channels. In addition to reducing CM sales (which will hurt BW / EA) and other unintended side effects.

Covetousness, Avarice, and Jealousy are not a good look and not a good basis for policy either.

Getting people to buy CC to make CM purchases has nothing to do with condoning a broken game economy and the spoiling of the game by people with too much money. Wealth is not the purpose of this game, this game is about entertainment by "dwelling" in SWTOR.

You might not be able to afford all your unnecessary wants but that doesn't mean the game economy is broken or that the game is spoiled.

If a middle-class family with two educated, and gainfully-employed adults can't afford a compact sedan then the economy is broken; the economy is not broken if they cannot afford a Quattroporte.

If you truly believe that

this game is about entertainment by "dwelling" in SWTOR,
do just that; instead of indulging in unrestrained consumerism or worrying about how much money other players have. Edited by mike_carton

If you took 75% of sales from every item I sell, I'd only sell in game chat. Period. The GTN would almost die overnight without any gain. In fact, inflation would get worse as now even the 7% of GTN tax is lost and chat sales have 0% tax associated with them.

If you took 75% of sales from every item I sell, I'd only sell in game chat. Period. The GTN would almost die overnight without any gain. In fact, inflation would get worse as now even the 7% of GTN tax is lost and chat sales have 0% tax associated with them.

not to mention the s**h show that would have people shouting each other down, spamming all chat channels, etc.

Covetousness, Avarice, and Jealousy are not a good look and not a good basis for policy either.

Well said.

-----------------------

(The following is directed toward readers in general, not a specific person)

I encourage people to find a niche where they can be profitable within the game's economy. Whatever it is ... through crafting, farming, flipping, or grinding content. Then just learn to adapt as the game moves forward. Credits in SWTOR are as important as XP and players that invest time in acquiring credits can ensure they'll always have what they need and usually be able to acquire things they want regardless of inflation.

Credits are not a real life currency. As a player of SWTOR it only makes sense to be proactive within the game to accumulate credits. If that makes a person feel greedy, then do what works for you. If that makes you feel I'm greedy, just remember, I pay real life money to subscribe to this game for the hours of monthly entertainment I get from it. I do not subscribe to this game for you or your enjoyment. I don't sub so you can have everything you see at a "price" you think is fair.

We all have the same game in front of us and the same opportunity to advance in any aspect of the game. As long as people stick to the rules, they are not hurting anybody else.

Edited by BRKMSN

I'm one of the GTN sellers that several of you are decrying in this thread. I've sold multiple items for prices in the hundreds of millions in the past few months.

It's not like the items that go for these sums are integral, much less necessary, to playing the game. Item-rating-300 Augments and a handful of highly-coveted weapon tunings are what I sell for 300M+. Tunings you can get your hands on easily enough just by saving CC coins (None are more than 1800 CC's at full price, and certain ones are daily CM Sale targets) and the augs, well, they're more of a status symbol than a practical advantage, providing 5% extra DPS or HPS on a good day.

Don't focus so much on what other players have, and enjoy the game on its own merits. If you want in on some of these ooh shiny's, then get learnt at the GTN hustle yourself.