auto guild transfer should stop

PSYCHOBLITZ

This.

Every time this subject comes up, its either a former guild leader who logs in and finds he's been kicked out of a guild he failed to log into for 28 days, knows he'll lose his position when he doesn't log in for 28 days, is about to drop his sub, or logs in and sees someone else is now GL who won't turn the guild over again.

I logged onto the test server in Everquest 2 a few weeks ago, where back into 2010 or so, my guild on one of the live servers created a guild there. No one had logged on in seven years. I hadn't had a sub in that game since 2014. I was still GL.

In that game, more than one person can have the top-most rank of guild leader, and at that rank, any one guild leader can deguild not only all the members, but the other guild leaders as well. I culled the guild's roster of all but my own toons. Seven years gone by, I don't think anyone, including the other guild leader, will feel the loss.

Doesn't get more deadbeat than that.

I'm still a guild leader on the live server, along with two other guild leaders. I was sole GL in that guild from 2007 - 2014. At any moment, either of the other two GLs could gut the guild for their own purposes. They have not, in all that time. It's a lonely game over there these days. Few log on. But the "main" GL, a retired veterinarian, logs on every day just because she still likes playing the game. Still pays the guild's "rent." Still invites members. She's a great GL.

Of the two methodologies, EQ2's treatment of guild leaders versus SWTOR's, I prefer SWTOR's. If I'm a GL, and absent for whatever reason from an active guild, that guild deserves an active guild leader with a subscription, in other words, with skin in the game.

As a GL, the most important thing to know about a guild is that it's not about you. It's about your members. It's about what THEY want, what THEY deserve, not your selfish desire to cling to power.

If you want to hang on to your guild, and doing so won't burn anyone like it didn't with the people on the EQ2 test server I mentioned, do I what I did. Gut it, be happy with your choice, and be done with it.

If a guild leader cares at all about the other people in their guild, the last final act of a good GL is to know when it's time to step aside, not selfishly cling to power.

Kudos to SWTOR for culling deadbeat GLs.

look the sub auto transfer is the real issue but if u have an issue u want fixed u have to give them options to replace it with also i added the extension bit because sometimes things break and u need a lil time to fix them i hate deadbeat GLs as much as the next guy but the auto transfer due to loss of sub status is not a necessity

I agree that the auto-transfer on sub status change is not a necessity. If the GL drops their sub then the guild could be moved into F2P status until either the GL subs or a sub is made GL.

On the subject of inactive GL's and extending auto-transfer of leadership, that is a hard no for me. As DarkTergon points out, there are far too many deadbeat GL's out there. 28-days is long enough. I have personally been in a guild with a deadbeat GL who had no interest in running the guild, they just logged in every ~25 days to retain leadership, but never responded to messages or in-game mail. I could get behind a system wherein the transfer was not automatic but one where the next highest active member, from highest to lowest rank, had to choose to usurp leadership, but the inactive time frame should remain 28-days.

That should not happen. The FAQ on F2P guilds says that subs can be members of F2P guilds.

i agree with ur overall assessment of what ive said the added time is so the vote system can play out with the officers or guild members as it allows them to figure out who should lead ive been in deadbeat guilds but lets be fair that sucks but we all know about the guilds that take advantage of there members everyone has heard those stories

The problem in connection with the sub lapsing probably falls in the same category of: in SWTOR the guild is meant to be for its members not its leader.

F2P guilds are rather restricted especially when the guild bank is concerned. If my sub as guild lead lapses because for example I just forgot to renew and it would force my guild to become a F2P guild immediately, no one would have access to flagship transport, guild repair, guild perks and all what is connected to having a guild bank any longer. So it makes sense that the guild lead automatically goes to the next highest ranking subbed member coming online to not cut off the guild from all that all of a sudden.

What I don't understand though, if you do trust at least some members of your guild, just set up the ranks in a way that the second rank after the guild leader can almost do everything so that the player taking over the actual lead while you can't take it, doesn't need to do all the work coming with it. Promote someone you trust to guild lead and take the second highest rank yourself. I think only guild bans and setting the bank access rights and ranks is guild leader only, everything else could be done by anyone if the rights for their rank are set accordingly.

Once you are able to be the true leader again your trusted member simply transfers the lead back to you.

The Guild system is great because it requires that the guild leader be active for the guild. Being in dead guilds isn't fun especially when the guild leader and other officers are totally MIA. Other games have it so basically, the guild leader can screw over active folks and be MIA for long periods of time.

If it's a financial thing - again make someone that you trust guild leader for however long you can't play with the understanding that they will be active/subbed and give back guild leadership when you return. If you don't trust anyone with that then boot everyone except your toons and reinvite them down the road if you want.

The guild is about its members not its leader. If you cannot trust anyone in your guild then and there is NO other place to put your cartel market items and credits then sure kick everyone and keep it to yourself, It doesn't sound like its going that great anyways. Otherwise store it in your legacy/cargo bay and just chill out till you can resub, if there is nothing to steal noone will care about giving you leadership back.

The guild is about its members not its leader. If you cannot trust anyone in your guild then and there is NO other place to put your cartel market items and credits then sure kick everyone and keep it to yourself, It doesn't sound like its going that great anyways. Otherwise store it in your legacy/cargo bay and just chill out till you can resub, if there is nothing to steal noone will care about giving you leadership back.

agin this isnt the issue the issue is the auto transfer to a member ranked private that hasn't been on in 3 week were as my sub dropped for like 2 hrs do to a card issue the pvt is also only preferred status himself i re subbed upon waking up and fixing the issue hence y i say the auto transfer makes no since unless im inactive for long periods also to note on another post i dk if the guild needs a sub to be made but at this point most of the guild stuff being tied to a sub makes less and less sense there's more than enough reasons to sub without that now days as of now im gonna let yall argue about this without me as i can tell many ppl are either ignoring the main issue or knit picking small points that are there simply as an alternative to the issue as u cant complain about something but not add a possible solution to fix it also i made my guild ive put all the work in and finding new ppl is a challenge for any small guild with no major connections in an established mmo ive already tried all the normal recruitment methods this ends this section of the just give it to someone else or boot everyone argument focus on the main issue the fact that the whole game has seen changes but this outdated system need some work and retrofits maybe even a small overhaul to modernize it a lil bit for all i know they er already working on a new or updated system but speaking grievances about it is the only way the community can actually try to get these things looked at changed or modified.

its a problem that has been suggest all for some time to chance it.

so far what most guild masters are doing if there sub is runing out and not going to buy a new sub there going to kick all there members what are not from him out off the guild to make sure after the sub has end he keeps the controle off the guild still then lose it to somebody else that has sub.

the same there are doing it when there going to take a break off the game there kick all there members out off the guild since if he is not online after 28+ day's he is losing the guild also to somebody else.

so that the guild system needs to be chance good is something that has been ask all what time's since you only get more and more that guild master is going to kick all there members from the guild since there not wane lose there guild master position to make sure there still own it after there sub has running out or coming back from a break.

It really isn't an issue, it prevents inactive GM's from not being around plain and simple. If a GM of the guild that they are in can't be subbed for whatever reason and they somehow don't have an officer or a non-officer person that they trust then yes they can remove folks for their inactive guild and keep it for themselves. Personally, if I was in a guild that the GM and other so-called officers were never around for whatever reason I would leave or hope that the GM boots my toons, then stay in a dead guild.

agin this isnt the issue the issue is the auto transfer to a member ranked private that hasn't been on in 3 week were as my sub dropped for like 2 hrs do to a card issue the pvt is also only preferred status himself i re subbed upon waking up and fixing the issue hence y i say the auto transfer makes no since unless im inactive for long periods also to note on another post i dk if the guild needs a sub to be made but at this point most of the guild stuff being tied to a sub makes less and less sense there's more than enough reasons to sub without that now days as of now im gonna let yall argue about this without me as i can tell many ppl are either ignoring the main issue or knit picking small points that are there simply as an alternative to the issue as u cant complain about something but not add a possible solution to fix it also i made my guild ive put all the work in and finding new ppl is a challenge for any small guild with no major connections in an established mmo ive already tried all the normal recruitment methods this ends this section of the just give it to someone else or boot everyone argument focus on the main issue the fact that the whole game has seen changes but this outdated system need some work and retrofits maybe even a small overhaul to modernize it a lil bit for all i know they er already working on a new or updated system but speaking grievances about it is the only way the community can actually try to get these things looked at changed or modified.

Again this is to not have dead-inactive guild leaders it's pretty simple and makes a ton of sense. Being in an inactive guild that you are a non-officer of and can't do anything to promote, invite new folks or even run a guild if you choose to just plain sucks. Having the dev team change something that actually works well is just silly, many other folks along with myself offered plenty of solutions that "you" don't want to even attempt or acknowledge. Clearly, this is a "you" thing where you want to be GM and not be active, so keep your guild and remove other folks it's pretty simple.

agin this isnt the issue the issue is the auto transfer to a member ranked private that hasn't been on in 3 week were as my sub dropped for like 2 hrs do to a card issue the pvt is also only preferred status himself i re subbed upon waking up and fixing the issue hence .

This is an out and out lie. I'm not really interested in defending BW these days, but this is wrong.

1. if you drop your sub, the guild doesn't automatically change, unless you log in.

(if it had, I'd have lost my guilds a few times, as I've had my sub run out, and not know till I tried to log in, and got the message that my sub was out, so I didn't log in to any char, but subbedm shut down, and restarted the software.

2 If you dropped to a pref, and the other person was pref, he wouldn't become GL, as it would only pass to a sub. If you were all pref, it wouldn't pass unless you were gone 28 days.

2 If you dropped to a pref, and the other person was pref, he wouldn't become GL, as it would only pass to a sub. If you were all pref, it wouldn't pass unless you were gone 28 days.

Fussy: the autopromote system ignores inactive characters(1), whether for the GL character going inactive or for the GL character going non-sub.

The system *will* skip inactive sub characters when the sub GL unsubs, and if there are no active sub characters, it will demote the guild to F2P and choose an active non-sub character, which might be the same GL character.

(1) *Characters*, not *players*. If you play religiously every day but never log in to your GL character, that character *will* lose the GL position. A character becomes inactive if the last time it was played is 28 days or more ago.

Fussy: the autopromote system ignores inactive characters(1), whether for the GL character going inactive or for the GL character going non-sub.

The system *will* skip inactive sub characters when the sub GL unsubs, and if there are no active sub characters, it will demote the guild to F2P and choose an active non-sub character, which might be the same GL character.

(1) *Characters*, not *players*. If you play religiously every day but never log in to your GL character, that character *will* lose the GL position. A character becomes inactive if the last time it was played is 28 days or more ago.

well that's true, I was assuming they would understand that any sub would have been gone for more than 28 days, as they were claiming another sub took over. But these days who knows...lol