Tanking needs to be re-examined again....regs are filling up with trolls

FourPawnBenoni

I'm not against premades in general. Yes, they make it difficult for the pugs on the other side but I don't think we should prevent friends and guildies from playing with each other.

However, when you start running into double premades where there are 4 players on the opposing team that all have the Force Bound set and coordinate their Intimidating roar it just makes the game boring and not fun at all.

Also, jugg tanks in general are still over performing offensively as well.

If SWTOR is serious about wanting to keep warzones fun in my humble opinion, they should quickly:

1. Make guard have a cooldown. Something like a 30 second use with a 1 minute cooldown.

2. Remove Force Bound set or reduce the accuracy penalty to 20%; similar to the sniper/operative flashbang utility

3. Adjust matchmaking so that when two teams of 4 queue up they are put on opposite teams and then the rest filled up with pugs.

Just my two-cents

Also, I'm leveling some characters during the double xp and i'm not a fan of the new brackets if feedback is still being looked for. It's just too much of a mismatch to be level 10-30 and fighting against 60's and 70's.

Edited by FourPawnBenoni

I'm not against premades in general. Yes, they make it difficult for the pugs on the other side but I don't think we should prevent friends and guildies from playing with each other.

However, when you start running into double premades where there are 4 players on the opposing team that all have the Force Bound set and coordinate their Intimidating roar it just makes the game boring and not fun at all.

If SWTOR is serious about wanting to keep warzones fun in my humble opinion, they should quickly:

1. Make guard have a cooldown. Something like a 30 second use with a 1 minute cooldown.

2. Remove Force Bound set or reduce the accuracy penalty to 20%; similar to the sniper/operative flashbang utility

3. Adjust matchmaking so that when two teams of 4 queue up they are put on opposite teams and then the rest filled up with pugs.

Just my two-cents

Also, I'm leveling some characters during the double xp and i'm not a fan of the new brackets if feedback is still being looked for. It's just too much of a mismatch to be level 10-30 and fighting against 60's and 70's.

1. Guard with a cooldown is a terrible idea. Guardswap mechanic is what makes tanks useful in PvP as it requires the enemy team to swap targets, unless they want their damage healed through. If I get a cooldown on guard after 30 seconds, first hardswap from a competent player team will demolish their target.

2. Force Bound is a very rare option of countering AP PT Powerlode, as well as yellow damage-heavy classes (Conc oper and Ling sorc come to mind). I would agree with removing it, but there is not much else you can do versus (very often multiple) AP PT if you want to protect yourself and peel for your team. Redesign powerlode to not include this part: "...and getting critically hit while under Power Yield builds an Energy Lode." or at least put internal cooldown on the energy lode gain. Then - by all means, nerf/remove force bound.

3. Agreed, although I very rarely see this and I often play both solo and premade regs. If there is another premade in Q, 90% of the time we will get matched *against* them. Granted, there are exceptions but very rare.

1. Guard with a cooldown is a terrible idea. Guardswap mechanic is what makes tanks useful in PvP as it requires the enemy team to swap targets, unless they want their damage healed through. If I get a cooldown on guard after 30 seconds, first hardswap from a competent player team will demolish their target.

2. Force Bound is a very rare option of countering AP PT Powerlode, as well as yellow damage-heavy classes (Conc oper and Ling sorc come to mind). I would agree with removing it, but there is not much else you can do versus (very often multiple) AP PT if you want to protect yourself and peel for your team. Redesign powerlode to not include this part: "...and getting critically hit while under Power Yield builds an Energy Lode." or at least put internal cooldown on the energy lode gain. Then - by all means, nerf/remove force bound.

3. Agreed, although I very rarely see this and I often play both solo and premade regs. If there is another premade in Q, 90% of the time we will get matched *against* them. Granted, there are exceptions but very rare.

Thanks for the thoughtful reply.

Regarding #1..."first hardswap from a competent player team will demolish their target"...I don't see the problem. Granted, I'm looking at this mainly from a regs point of view. I think group ranked & solo ranked with trinity comps probably view it differently. In regs, I'd much rather have good swaps result in kills rather than the stalemates that happen in some of the maps like civil war where the sides get capped and neither side can control mid to get a cap.

Maybe it would just result in some different tactics...maybe diffferent comps...anything is better than the stalemates or being mezzed 8 seconds, then missing everything for 8 seconds and then another one does it to you. Just gets boring.

I agree that juggs are overperforming damage-wise, but there can never be a cooldown for guardswap. If that happened, all 4's matches involving a tank would end in one to two minutes. Usually, what separates a good tank from a bad tank is their ability to guardswap. Putting a cooldown on guardswap would lower the protective capabilities of a class that is solely dedicated to protecting its allies, and it would lower the skill cap for the class.. If tank juggs are to become balanced, their dps needs to be limited, not their protection.

1. Guard should be linked to mitigation stats. The more mitigation stats you have, the more damage that can be redirected back to you. A maximum mitigation tank should be able to redirect 70% of damage to himself. A 0 mitigation tank should only redirect maybe 10%. This change would force juggernauts to sacrifice their damage for protection.

2. Taunts should also be linked to mitigation stats. Taunts should be removed from all dps specs. There are classes like pt's that already do more damage than full dps classes like marauders and snipers, yet they get taunts which increase their value on a team by that much more.

3. Less classes need to have unmitigable damage. With the current set up.,one lightning sorc is always too much for a tank to handle. I tested this out with a few friends, and a healer cannot keep a skanktank alive against a freecasting lightning sorc. The sorc was pulling 18k dps in just single target damage against a skanktank. Thundering blast is the main concern since it deals internal damage.

4. Forcebound should be restricted to tanks only.

Edited by Llacertus

I like your ideas; Llacertus.

Regarding #3 with lightning sorcs vs skank tanks...that does not concern me much. Skank tanks should not have high mitigation compared to a defensively geared one; and therefore with the amount of damage they can do having one class that is their kryptonite is a small penalty.

No one complains about skank sins or PT tanks. We need to adjust Jugg tanks accordingly.

Guard isn’t the problem. It’s simple to tunnel someone through guard with enough focused dps (getting your team to focus a target is a different problem altogether...). The problem is guard + heals + dps w/heals. A guarded merc with a pocket healer will never die, unless it’s straight up 6v1, and even then it’s questionable.

Guard isn’t the problem. It’s simple to tunnel someone through guard with enough focused dps (getting your team to focus a target is a different problem altogether...). The problem is guard + heals + dps w/heals. A guarded merc with a pocket healer will never die, unless it’s straight up 6v1, and even then it’s questionable.

interestingly enough, the classes that benefit from guard are not the classes with good standalone dps.

give a merc guard and heals, and he'll certainly live longer so he'll do more DPS. give the same thing to a PT and OMG WHAT IS THIS? MY EYES! AHHHH!

Edited by foxmob

Just my two-cents

they should make rules for queueing, that's about it, now, tbh, any coordinated team will be just as effective and annoying in regs, in my little experience the problem are premades, not classes or specs in this case.

I would disagree. Realistically, 2 strong dps can tank tunnel to kill the tank first and the healer next as long as those dps are kept alive. All you would need to do is cc the healer. Nobody with a brain tunnels into a guarded merc anyways. You can even tank tunnel with one strong dps and a skanktank, and while it will take time, its very possible.

Edited by Llacertus

The guard mechanic has been a broken design since launch. Sadly BW will never do anything about it.

Sad but true. It doesn’t seem to matter how much evidence is provided to Bioware about guard, they just don’t understand their own game play enough to get it,

Just my two-cents

You bring up good stuff however sadly bioware/swtor dev's have never given .02 about pvp ever.

swtor isn't serious about pvp, the only dev they had that actually designed the og huttball and was good

left a while back ago.

guard shouldn't be allowed in pvp simple as that - it's a pve mechanic should of never

been in pvp. They should limit some specific pve abilites as not usable in pvp guard would be one.

If they could of actually had match making queue program that worked then cross servers could of been a thing back in the day.

The leveling brackets will never work right b/c not all toons will have same abilities and their pvp bolster system is a joke it never has nor will it ever solve any pvp problem.