Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

The Refer-a-Friend Program

First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

KeithKanneg
04.15.2021 , 09:30 AM | #1 This is the last staff post in this thread.  
Hey all,

On April 27th we will begin sunsetting our current Refer-a-Friend (RAF) program. Starting on that day, you will no longer be able to refer new players into the program via your RAF link--however any current referrals will remain in place.

What is the Refer-a-Friend program? The program is meant to incentivize sharing your link with friends, encouraging them to join you in our galaxy far, far away, and granting meaningful rewards to both of you. This helps you (and the community) by increasing the number of players to play with, and it also introduces people who’ve never played SWTOR to one of the biggest Star Wars experiences in an online game.

Why are we closing the program down? Those who have been playing our game for years and have used the program understand that right now, RAF is not quite meeting that goal.

Although this system is not perfect, we do understand that it has provided benefits which players have enjoyed. The first of those benefits was the ability to acquire Cartel Coins in-game without purchasing them. To account for the fact that this will no longer be possible through new referrals, we are bolstering the amount of Cartel Coins players can earn through Galactic Seasons in Game Update 6.3 from its current value of 2,000 this season to 4,000. This will give you a clear path to acquiring a few thousand Cartel Coins, just by playing SWTOR regularly!

Additionally, one of the benefits RAF gave brand-new players was free access to Character Titles and the “Unify Color” feature on armor sets. We are going to add both of those unlocks to all accounts going forward starting in Game Update 6.3. You no longer need to get referred status or pay to have those unlocks as a player, in any status, including free-to-play. Those two unlocks will be disabled for purchase and removed from the Cartel Market starting today since they will be coming for free to everyone soon.

We know this doesn’t account for everything that the RAF program had to offer, and we are considering how to replace those benefits going forward. We know players will still want methods to access those rewards, especially the unique mount and pets. Look for more details on that in the future.

Lastly, there are no immediate plans to replace the RAF program. We want to really take the time to assess what the old system did right, did wrong, and what will make the most sense to achieve the goals of a RAF program in today’s game.

Thank you all for your understanding.

--Keith--

Keith Kanneg | Project / Game Director
Follow us on Twitter @SWTOR | Like us on Facebook
[Contact Us] [Rules of Conduct] [F.A.Q.]

Screaming_Ziva
04.15.2021 , 09:41 AM | #2
Quote: Originally Posted by DarkTergon View Post
Although I've benefitted from the program, I'm glad to see this version of it going. Giving away CC's for it has caused numerous issues. Maybe with the new version, when ever it's implemented, you could give away decos, pets, mounts, etc , But make them new & original ones, not recoloured.
This is long overdue. However, I think giving away CCs for referrals was completely fine. The issue was being able to refer a current subscriber and get CCs from their subscription. That made absolutely no sense.
THIS is the Referral Link you are looking for.
Click for 7 days Free Access, 1 Free Server Transfer, and a Free Jumpstart or Preferred Bundle.

Screaming Ziva's Stronghold Tour

xordevoreaux
04.15.2021 , 09:43 AM | #3
So does that mean however many CCs I'm making now a month for previous referrals will cease?
Play the Electronic Arts game Sims4 much? Need a new schmazzy fireplace retexture or really classy piano update?
Check out my Sims4 mods on Nexus.

UlaVii
04.15.2021 , 09:43 AM | #4
Quote: Originally Posted by KeithKanneg View Post
any current referrals will remain in place.
Does this mean the people who have referred others will continue to benefit from the monthly CC?

SteveTheCynic
04.15.2021 , 09:56 AM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by DarkTergon View Post
sounds like as long as the person stays subbed, you'll get them, but once they stop, so does the coins, and after the *April 27th* you won't be able to start any new ones.
That was pretty much my reading of it as well.
Not really what you think.
To go to Belsavis, you must go to Belsavis.
?REDO FROM START
Latest patch notes at http://www.swtor.com/patchnotes

NeoPlushka
04.15.2021 , 10:00 AM | #6
Well I think it was predictable that would come. But I'm really interested what will happen with RAF prizes as the mount and some droid pets? Never happened to get all 5 of them but hoped that 1 day I could get 5 friends who don't mind to use my refferel code. Now it will be really sad if ppl never get the chance to get these items after 27th of April... Hope you still let ppl get them in collection though...

FlameYOL
04.15.2021 , 10:01 AM | #7
While I'm sad to see the system go like this I do understand considering how widely it was being exploited and I'm glad you guys are finally addressing it, raising the amount of cartel coins we can earn through galactic seasons is also really nice. I applaud that decision! As well as removing the restrictions of unify colors and titles, those two should've never been a thing in my opinion and I'm glad to see F2P/preferred having more freedom to customize their characters! I hope you'll look into removing other restrictions like the "need to be subscriber to use companion customization, hide helmet". I'm sure there are more I'm forgetting but I'm glad you guys are making the game more accessible to the F2P/preferred players
A man can have anything...If he's willing to sacrifice everything

Jesseriah
04.15.2021 , 10:09 AM | #8
Very good change and long overdue! It encouraged scammers and was unfair to every regular sub who wasn't spaming his RAF link 24/7 on fleet.
Use this Link: http://www.swtor.com/r/8gTtm9 for FREE Gametime, Chartransfer and more!

GuigeekRhadamant
04.15.2021 , 10:40 AM | #9
And how are we going to get the pets now ?? (and the mount)

SteveTheCynic
04.15.2021 , 10:41 AM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by NeoPlushka View Post
Well I think it was predictable that would come. But I'm really interested what will happen with RAF prizes as the mount and some droid pets? Never happened to get all 5 of them but hoped that 1 day I could get 5 friends who don't mind to use my refferel code. Now it will be really sad if ppl never get the chance to get these items after 27th of April... Hope you still let ppl get them in collection though...
Keith covered that, sort of (and I emphasised the key part):
Quote: Originally Posted by KeithKanneg View Post
We know this doesn’t account for everything that the RAF program had to offer, and we are considering how to replace those benefits going forward. We know players will still want methods to access those rewards, especially the unique mount and pets. Look for more details on that in the future.
Not really what you think.
To go to Belsavis, you must go to Belsavis.
?REDO FROM START
Latest patch notes at http://www.swtor.com/patchnotes