Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Refund Timer Change

First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

ChrisSchmidt
04.14.2021 , 11:29 AM | #1 Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread. Next  

Hi folks,

We wanted to give you an early heads up about a change we’re making in the upcoming game update 6.3.

Previously, the refund timer for items purchased off of a vendor only counted down while that character was in-game. As of the 6.3 update, this will change to real time. What this means is if you purchase an item off of a vendor, and that item has a refund timer on it, the timer will count down whether that character is logged in or not.

This is in-line with how the current timer for Cartel Market items works. The ability to exchange items looted between party members in Flashpoints and Operations, which also uses a timer, will not change and count down via in-game time only.

The reason behind this change is we observed some unintended behavior where the mechanics of the refund timer were being used to store more resources than intended by limits intentionally set in order to balance the game economy’s inflows and outflows.

-Chris
Chris "BioChris" Schmidt | Design Director
Follow us on Twitter @SWTOR | Like us on Facebook
[Contact Us] [Rules of Conduct] [F.A.Q.]

mike_carton
04.14.2021 , 11:47 AM | #2
Against the interests of the players. What a surprise.
A "Forum troll" posts outrageous messages to bait people into answering, to sow discord and to derail the discussion. Don't feed the troll, add to your Ignore List.

lordoftransform
04.14.2021 , 12:01 PM | #3
Quote: Originally Posted by ChrisSchmidt View Post

Hi folks,

We wanted to give you an early heads up about a change we’re making in the upcoming game update 6.3.

Previously, the refund timer for items purchased off of a vendor only counted down while that character was in-game. As of the 6.3 update, this will change to real time. What this means is if you purchase an item off of a vendor, and that item has a refund timer on it, the timer will count down whether that character is logged in or not.

This is in-line with how the current timer for Cartel Market items works. The ability to exchange items looted between party members in Flashpoints and Operations, which also uses a timer, will not change and count down via in-game time only.

The reason behind this change is we observed some unintended behavior where the mechanics of the refund timer were being used to store more resources than intended by limits intentionally set in order to balance the game economy’s inflows and outflows.

-Chris
So why not raise the limit? The only players with excess tech frags are those who do excess content. A lot of players, myself included up until recently, stored tech fragments so they could roll on Kai Zykken when he opened. By doing this, any game content I do would be an utter waste since I'd either be forced to spend tech fragments on things I do not want to, or any content after reaching the limit would not contribute. Either way, players are being punished for doing more than 10k worth of content. If this 10k limit must be adhered to, why not just keep Zykken open all week? Then there would be little to no reason for anyone to store fragments, and we wouldn't have to be punished for doing as much content as we like.

Darittha
04.14.2021 , 12:03 PM | #4
So does this means we get higher cap for stuff like Tech Fragments? Because right now those measly 10,000 is too low especially when people run out of stuff to buy pretty soon after hitting 306 on few alts. Right now many people - me included are using the current refund timer to store excess Tech Fragments.

anchor_leg
04.14.2021 , 12:05 PM | #5
I hope this means you will be raising the cap of tech frags otherwise you're now punishing the players grinding for set gear otherwise this is a slap in the face to your core players.

Quote: Originally Posted by lordoftransform View Post
So why not raise the limit? The only players with excess tech frags are those who do excess content. A lot of players, myself included up until recently, stored tech fragments so they could roll on Kai Zykken when he opened. By doing this, any game content I do would be an utter waste since I'd either be forced to spend tech fragments on things I do not want to, or any content after reaching the limit would not contribute. Either way, players are being punished for doing more than 10k worth of content. If this 10k limit must be adhered to, why not just keep Zykken open all week? Then there would be little to no reason for anyone to store fragments, and we wouldn't have to be punished for doing as much content as we like.
Amen to above

UlaVii
04.14.2021 , 12:14 PM | #6
When the patch arrives, will tech fragment based items in storage continue their current timer or will you reset/lock them all?

Personally I have not bothered using the storage trick this but some of my friends have and I know they will feel better if you could clarify. In all fairness, they did invest the time and effort to earn those tech fragments.

I know there are a lot of people hoping to refund the items to use the new augment mats mission that's in 6.3 and they are concerned they will not be able to do so with this refund timer change. Please could you provide information about the "A Surprising Offer" datapad mission that was on PTS to let them know if it will be daily/weekly/per-character.

Pietrastor
04.14.2021 , 12:25 PM | #7
A change no one asked for, wasted dev time, etc.

Focus on better writing than Onslaught and more content instead of pointless changes k thx
My referral link (7 days sub free) - http://www.swtor.com/r/fK5gsH

UnP_RIP
04.14.2021 , 12:26 PM | #8
Can you clarify when the "realtime" timer is going to start? Once the maintenance for 6.3 begins, or once the servers are back online?
Or in other words, are we going to lose tenthousands of techfragments and millions of credits, or not?
Also PLEASE increase the cap if you wont let us store tech frags anymore.
Schnipsor <7Stuck>

phalczen
04.14.2021 , 12:38 PM | #9
You, developers of SWTOR from Bioware Austin, you should increase the tech fragment cap to at least 50000 along with this change, because you know exactly who is being hurt by this change.
If you would like to hear more of my thoughts, consider joining our guilds on Satele Shan, "Shock and Jawa" of the Republic and "Full Metal Jawa" of the Empire. Thank you for reading!

RikuvonDrake
04.14.2021 , 01:11 PM | #10
with the addition of the quest on PTS that allows you to exchange 10 000 tech frags for one RPM/OEM which would equal to about ~40m credits, not a terrible thing if the "saving tech frags using mount" thing really is harmful

Bloodworthy - Tomb of Freedon Nadd - The Red Eclipse - Darth Malgus

Saga - FriendlyFire - Mango