Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Upcoming Guild Conquest Updates

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Upcoming Guild Conquest Updates
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

DavidStaats
01.15.2021 , 01:03 PM | #1 Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread. Next  

Hi everyone,

We wanted to let you all know of some updates we are making to Conquest as it pertains to Guilds and Guild Contributions. This update will specifically touch two main aspects of Guild Conquests - when a new character joins a Guild, and when any characters are removed from a Guild - and how Conquest Points will be handled.

New Character Grace Period
When a new character has accepted an invite into a Guild, that character will begin a Grace Period with the Guild. During this time, that new character can still earn their own Personal Conquest goals and rewards, but their Conquest efforts will not be calculated into the Guild’s Conquest efforts until the next Conquest event. As such, new characters will not immediately appear in a Guild’s Conquest Leaderboards, and will not be eligible for the Guild’s Invasion Reward.

When new characters view the Guild Invasion screen, they will see a message indicating that they are currently unable to contribute towards their new Guild’s Conquest score, and must wait until the next Conquest event. Similarly, when viewing the Guild Roster page new characters who are unable to contribute will be indicated as such, allowing Guild Leadership to get a better picture of who cannot actively contribute.

It is important to note that this Grace Period is per character, and not account. If a player already has a character in a Guild, and is bringing an alternate character into the Guild, the Grace Period only applies to that alternate character, and not all characters from that Legacy. Equally as important to note is that this Grace Period will also apply to all new Guilds being formed.

Joining a Guild is an important aspect of our game, and we want to ensure that both the Guild and new members are given time to assess each other properly, without the pressures of reward systems potentially interfering in that period.

Character and Guild Separation
When a player is removed from a Guild by the Guild, their Conquest contributions will now be removed from that Guild as well. In the event the character leaves a Guild on their own accord, the points they contributed to a Guild’s Conquest will remain with the Guild for that Conquest.

When removing characters, Guild Leadership will now be provided with a notification informing them that removing the member will result in a loss of that member’s Conquest contributions. Again, it is important to note that this is per character, and not account.

Guild Commendation Reward
As a result of the changes mentioned above, the time frame in which a Guild will earn their Guild Commendation Invasion Reward is being changed. Guild Perk Rewards will now be tallied at the end of a Conquest event rather than during it, and as such the Commendation Reward from Invasions will be given when the subsequent Conquest begins.

We want to ensure that character and Guild separation is done in a healthy and amicable way.

As always, thank you to everyone who has sent in feedback regarding how the current system was being used. We feel these changes will allow players and Guilds to build healthier relationships when experiencing this aspect of SWTOR, and are aiming to have these changes in an update in the near future.

EDIT: Added Guild Commendation Reward section.

EDIT 2: Posted a follow up in the thread which can be found here.
David Staats | Systems Designer
Follow us on Twitter @SWTOR | Like us on Facebook
[Contact Us] [Rules of Conduct] [F.A.Q.]

originisgarbage
01.15.2021 , 01:30 PM | #2
Two points I'd like to make, and then I'm done here.

First - Hooray. I personally feel that these two things (the second in particular) are long overdue.

Second - Enough already! At this point, I'm convinced that if you thought it was feasible to tweak Conquest more than once each week, you would. Maybe instead of focusing on your Campaign of Infinite Conquest Changes, you should stop for a few weeks...take a deep breath or two...and figure out what you really want to do with Conquest, and then actually do it. The community mainly wants two things from you: Solutions, and stability. You're floundering with the former, and failing with the latter.

If y'all are really this bored, there are hundreds of bugs and oddities in the game you could address.

And no, my points are not contradictory. Someone can shoot at a target a hundred times and actually hit it twice.

Jacobise
01.15.2021 , 01:32 PM | #3
Good afternoon, David.

This will definitely help with massive guilds that recruit and kick members week to week to bolster their numbers.

But how will this affect people trying to earn their Planetary Conqueror achievements and titles? It is very common on Star Forge for players to join guilds taking over a planet so they can earn the achievement even if it's not with their primary guild.

Perhaps this itself was considered an exploit but I am curious the devs thoughts. This would imply that there is no longer a way to earn one of those titles if you joined the guild AFTER they invaded the planet, correct?
My referral link: http://www.swtor.com/r/dkVjHs

Darittha
01.15.2021 , 01:33 PM | #4
Ill give u all the credit in the world for these changes. Im glad u listened to the feedback and picked the good options presented + your grace period idea is also very good. While im sure certain guild and its clones that were rampant on Darth Malgus server recently will try to circle around the restrictions somehow, i think these changes will make the conquest once again fun to do and compete in.

RikuvonDrake
01.15.2021 , 01:35 PM | #5
these are great changes and I am happy that you guys are looking at things from this viewpoint and adjusting appropriately, on the contrary from the previous poster I would also like to add that I think conquest is a part of the game that loads of players do and actively participate in, regular updates to increase QoL/gameplay is thus very much appricipated by a large portion of the playerbase

Quote: Originally Posted by Jacobise View Post
But how will this affect people trying to earn their Planetary Conqueror achievements and titles? It is very common on Star Forge for players to join guilds taking over a planet so they can earn the achievement even if it's not with their primary guild.
its a bit of a bandaid solution but you can see what next weeks conquest is, check with the top guilds (most servers have a few which you know are going to win or are likely too) and then join one the week prior who are going for the planet you want the achievement from if multiple of the top guilds are going for it move chars into each of those guilds

I think Bioware kinda lowkey wants to disincentives guild hopping as well although that's just me speculating

Bloodworthy - Tomb of Freedon Nadd - The Red Eclipse - Darth Malgus

Saga - FriendlyFire - Mango

Jacobise
01.15.2021 , 01:42 PM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by RikuvonDrake View Post
these are great changes and I am happy that you guys are looking at things from this viewpoint and adjusting appropriately, on the contrary from the previous poster I would also like to add that I think conquest is a part of the game that loads of players do and actively participate in, regular updates to increase QoL/gameplay is thus very much appricipated by a large portion of the playerbase

its a bit of a bandaid solution but you can see what next weeks conquest is, check with the top guilds (most servers have a few which you know are going to win or are likely too) and then join one the week prior who are going for the planet you want the achievement from if multiple of the top guilds are going for it move chars into each of those guilds

I think Bioware kinda lowkey wants to disincentives guild hopping as well although that's just me speculating
Good point and for the most part I'm all for discouraging aberrant guild hopping myself. Thankfully I have all of my conqueror achievements but I'm in a tight knit guild that focuses on raiding as opposed to Conquest so whenever there's an expansion with a new planet, we put toons elsewhere for the first week it's available.

Guess it will just take more careful planning next time Bioware adds one.
My referral link: http://www.swtor.com/r/dkVjHs

Eli_Porter
01.15.2021 , 01:45 PM | #7
Thank you so much!

Illeva
01.15.2021 , 01:54 PM | #8
These sound like really good changes and it's great to see that you've listened to feedback.

However I am not sure this will address the issue of large guilds invading Small Yield planets, accumulating hundreds of millions of points and effectively blocking any chance of smaller guilds from competing entirely.

Renskedv
01.15.2021 , 01:56 PM | #9
Amazing, thank you David!

One question remains; wouldn't it make Monday a day prone to mass-inviting? As the day after the newly invited players' points will count?
- Founder - Satele Shan & Leviathan - Warzone addict -

Kaveat
01.15.2021 , 02:07 PM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by DavidStaats View Post

New Character Grace Period
... It is important to note that this Grace Period is per character, and not account. If a player already has a character in a Guild, and is bringing an alternate character into the Guild, the Grace Period only applies to that alternate character, and not all characters from that Legacy. Equally as important to note is that this Grace Period will also apply to all new Guilds being formed.
Of all the changes made, this bit is complete poodoo, especially where it is per character and NOT tied to the players legacy, let alone knee-capping any new guild(s) right off the bat. If I already have alts in a guild that are past this "grace period", then any subsequent alts I bring in should be exempt, or you just limited my time in game that week because I'd just be spinning my wheels and not being fully rewarded for it.

I would also point out that you are still effectively screwing over any player(s) that were bounced, regardless of reasons, so now they not only do not get the previous guild reward for their contributions, but also have to wait yet another week to start working on CQ again? That could be a 2 week gap if some nefarious GM/officer bounced a character late Monday night or early Tuesday morning, bounced player then logs in at some later point to not only find themselves unguilded, and not being rewarded for the previous weeks efforts, and has to not only find a new guild, but also wait another entire week to contribute or be rewarded. Way to rub salt in those wounds.

If you really wanted to make this universally fair, yet aimed at the more questionable activities of larger guilds, make this "grace period" only apply to guilds that exceeded 30* million the previous week, and/or had more than 30* unique legacies in the guild (that were active in the last 30 days - guilds should not be handicapped for maintaining inactive alumni, and forcing them to be gkicked just to meet this requirement would not just be unreasonable, but downright and unnecessarily nasty).
(*arbitrary numbers, but a decent starting point IMO)

Better yet, Fix the problem, not the blame!
Quit throwing cause & effect grenades at players because of a system that is still largely broken.

"Those who place profit above freedom generally end with neither." - Qui-gon
"Live alongside corruption for too long, and you no longer notice the stench" - Yoda
6.2.1 = GIGO [end of line]