Another Challenger Enters the Fray

EricMusco

Hello, everyone!

I’m Jackie, and I’m incredibly excited to be here! Over the next few weeks, I’ll be going through the forums, building an understanding of the community, and getting to know all of you! I’m very much looking forward to interacting with everyone and being a bridge between this community and the dev team. Building up and nurturing that relationship will remain a top priority for me.

Fun fact! I love reading about community members’ sentimental experiences that mean a lot to them. Tell me about some of the best moments you’ve experienced in game or within the community. I'll be reading all of them!

See you in the forums!

Jackie

*** First of all ... welcome aboard !! Always good to be able to interact with another part of the team !!

*** Second *** Remember You can "ALWAYS" trust the Ol Buzzard !! (regardless of what some might "suggest". ) I do look forward to future discussions/ specific topics or subjects of your choosing. I'm usually pretty straight forward ! If you have specific questions or would like to talk shop about anything in particular .. drop a PM (I check the in box regularly) !

*** Some of the better moments within the community: I do enjoy have a bit of fun from time to time here on the forums... (even if I do get into trouble). I really do enjoy the game. And ... from time to time I do offer a suggestion for some of my favorite aspects of the game (including the possibility of a new class).

In any case ... again ... welcome !

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 favourites really.

1. The reunion with Aric in KoTFE, it was by far the best done reunion.

2. The Theron traitor ark for a romancer, loads of angst with a happy ending, totally my jam for stories.

Usually I want to be hit in the feels with everything working out in the end!

Welcome to the team Jackie!

My best memory was finally getting my first character to lvl 50 and finishing my first class story. I started playing in the last beta. Swtor is my first MMO (and the only one I play). I knew absolutely nothing about gearing, rotations, or how to play a game with a mouse/keyboard. (Yes.... I'm a console gamer) I played for about 2weeks at launch, and gave up because it wasn't the most helpful environment for a noob. But after watching the class stories on YouTube, I decided that I really wanted to experience them myself. So about 2 months later I subbed again and gave it another shot. It took me nearly a year to get my first Knight through the class story. But I've been subbed ever since, and have thoroughly enjoyed my time here. All I play for is story, but I enjoy them so I keep re-rolling and playing through them again and again. :D I even had a better PC built just to play this game! (Like seriously.... It's the only game I really play on it lol)

Edited by ImmortalLowlife

Welcome Jackie Ko!

I love reading about community members’ sentimental experiences that mean a lot to them. Tell me about some of the best moments you’ve experienced in game or within the community.

In 2012, I was a new player on my first character, doing my first GF Flashpoint. I think it was Athiss. GF FPs were all trinities and level locked back then. I was a DPS. In that group, three of us were new to SWTOR (and MMOs), with one experienced player. We three newbies were terrible because we didn't know anything about group content. I didn't know what to target, when. The healer didn't know whether to heal or DPS. The other DPS kept initiating combat. The tank was the experienced player. We wiped repeatedly (before ever getting to the first boss). Can't speak for the other newbies, but I felt so low. Another experienced player might have thrown up their hands and quit the group. That experienced player took time to teach us. They taught us about roles and kill order. Told the healer not to do any DPSing, just heal (seems obvious, but everything does after learning about it). Taught myself and the other DPS about kill order -- standard, silver, then the golds or boss. And, to keep an eye on the healer. Chided the other DPS about initiating combat before the tank (took a few times to break that habit), instead of scolding or screaming at them. We went from a group that wiped on trash packs, to finishing that FP as a (fairly, lol) smooth team. That player was beyond awesome, and left three newbies feeling like they could learn to play better. Instead of leaving three newbies who might avoid group content forever.

The Pot5 community, about a year or so before the United Forces server merge. Over the years, I would start new legacies from scratch on the NA servers. I started on Pot5 with some trepidation because that server had a past rep of being ... less than nice, let's say. By the time I started playing there the population was very low, and the remaining players were amazing. Any player seeing my initial low level characters would buff them and ask if I needed anything to help settle in on the server. Out of the blue, players would offer to give me credits or craft stat armor for leveling, or give me Stronghold items purchasable with prefabs like a Cargo Bay. Gen chat was a pleasure because trolls had already left the server, or got /ignored by pretty much the entire server's population, lol. With such a small population, group activities usually had to be arranged. It felt like a community. I understand why Pot5 was lost to the server merge. There weren't enough players there to justify the cost of maintaining Pot5. Still, I miss that community.

Fun fact! I love reading about community members’ sentimental experiences that mean a lot to them. Tell me about some of the best moments you’ve experienced in game or within the community. I'll be reading all of them!

The day my Concealment Operative, still wearing armor and weapons from the 1.x era, decided the time had finally come to step out of the shadows and take her place on the Galactic stage...the first time I played through KotFE Chapter 9. I actually broke my personal rule with this character, as I used to NEVER run new expansion content on anything else before my Vanguard, but I'd retired him temporarily while I was still in the middle of a nasty phase of "tanking sucks"-itis.

The moment I finally hit Valor rank 60 on my Vanguard, so I could wear the crafted Battlemaster shells my own Armormech had made for him. Now, nearly his entire squad is in old PvP gear, or otherwise has old PvP weapons. (I'd put a link in here, but it seems things in the forums have changed since I regularly posted here a few years ago; I can't embed the link in my post, for some reason. I'll post the Imgur link, if you want to see them.)

The day I reset my Medicine Operative to Concealment, because I couldn't handle the stress of healing group content anymore...damned Marauders. (He ended up going all the way and moving to another server entirely, too.)

Hello there,

hmm memories... when I switched from a potato to a better PC and could play with ultra settings. Awesome and beautiful.

My first guild I joined was founded by a friend of me, once we made a undies party on fleet just for fun. Sadly I don't have any screenshots....

• Dev Post

Just wanted to let everyone know that I intend on replying to a lot of these comments, so apologies in advance for breaking spam etiquette in this thread. This will not be a habit at all. I just appreciate all of the replies here!

From page 1!

Welcome to the team! Hope the forums gets some love, a lot of the sticked resources/guides are outdated and lots of the categories and subsections are in need of some serious cleanup.

Noted. Do you have any additional feedback in terms of what “clean up” looks like/means to you?

Hello Jackie!

Nice to meet you and welcome to the SWtor community! I wish you'll have a great time here with us!

Changing topic, would you like to tell us something about you? Games you play, things you like, hobbies , ...?

Nice to meet you too! Those are fantastic memories to have.

I have a special place in my heart for RPGs. I love a good story. I very much enjoy cooking and baking. Macarons and ramen happen to be my main focus right now. I’ve also become obsessed with growing avocado plants.

Welcome Jackie!

Hello and thank you!

Welcome! Most community managers have tended to neglect the pvp forums (for generally understandable reasons), but there's still some valuable feedback there.

I appreciate this post very much and will be noting it for myself. These types of comments are helpful and insightful. Thank you!

Welcome to the forums, they are in serious need of attention, you've got your work cut out ;)

Hello! Can you dive a little more into that? What type of attention do you mean? Posts in general? Clean up? Moderation? Let me know!

The story is king to me.

Yeeeees! I love well told stories too!

Welcome to the team and to the community! ^_^

Thank you! Sounds like you and I have very similar mindsets with community building!

Hi, JackieKo.

Welcome.

Thank you so much! I love the experience of discovering a new world as well!

Edited by JackieKo

Noted. Do you have any additional feedback in terms of what “clean up” looks like/means to you?

Most of the forum sections like for example the class subsections are rarely visited by devs, there are quite a few Sticky threads from 3.0 for example along with class guides from 3.0/4.0 that are very outdated (became outdated ~4 years ago) and contains wrong information. For a new player that seeks information on your games forum and reads those guides will end up playing their class quite suboptimally until they are able to find updated information/guides.

However I am not sure what the solution would be, unless there is a forum presence from the devs that are sustainable (dunno if you are contract or perm) it might be easier to avoid placing guides/info threads as sticky, that would require very little update from your side.

Edited by RikuvonDrake

If you could get back to the Devs that crafting needs serious overhaul that'd be great. Here's some major concerns...

1. The re-engineering rate is abysmal even for the lowest level gear.

2. Low-level artifact quality mats are insanely hard to get and coast tons of Jawa Junk. This is really bad now that we're allowed to gather artifact rank 11 mats.

3. We need more dye and Color Crystal schematics. They sell well on the GTN to fund crafting expensive projects.

4. Speaking of selling on the GTN it would be incredibly helpful if we could sell armor sets in bundles.

5. The interface is migraine inducing.

Also some new Cosmetics for PC customization would be fab, especially a fierce red lipstick option.

Cheers!

Just wanted to let everyone know that I intend on replying to a lot of these comments, so apologies in advance for breaking spam etiquette in this thread. This will not be a habit at all. I just appreciate all of the replies here!

Hello! Can you dive a little more into that? What type of attention do you mean? Posts in general? Clean up? Moderation? Let me know!

I'm shocked, I wasn't expecting a reply. It's a nice surprise. The attention I mean, is mostly, more interaction with the community managers, so far they've been extremely lax. A lot of issues have been ignored, and not communicated on. But hopefully that will change going forward.

The forums themselves do need cleaning up, we've too many old threads, that people bring back (necro) which doesn't add anything to the conversation, and sometimes even confuses an issue. Perhaps locking threads after a time, so this might not be an issue.

Again, welcome to the forums, already I can feel the fresh breeze flowing through them.

Edited by DarkTergon

Hello, everyone!

I’m Jackie, and I’m incredibly excited to be here! Over the next few weeks, I’ll be going through the forums, building an understanding of the community, and getting to know all of you! I’m very much looking forward to interacting with everyone and being a bridge between this community and the dev team. Building up and nurturing that relationship will remain a top priority for me.

See you in the forums!

Jackie

Welcome, Jackie!

Honestly, it's fantastic to see the game thriving enough to bring on another community manager! I've been playing since beta and early access and after seeing so many fantastic team members move on over the years, it's been really great having the current fantastic team serving as long as they have. Looking forward to seeing what you add to that team.

As for sentimental moments, I'll give you two of them.

The first was meeting the team in Chicago last year and having them all sign my Gnost-Dural Journal. Here's hoping to get you added to it at a future event once we're out of Covid. Spending an evening with the team and so many other players/fans was amazing.

And to give you an in-game one, I have a number of fantastic memories but I think the one that sticks with me the most was being among the first groups in Storymode Eternity Vault and having absolutely no idea what we were doing in December of 2011. None of our gear looked good (No appearance editor or dye modules yet), most of us didn't have all of our class buffs or datacrons collected yet, and there were long nights of trial and error, especially on Soa.

• Dev Post

Page 2!

My positive memories have appeared on other threads on this subject, including:

That’s awesome. Multiple good memories like these are always wonderful to have.

Welcome to SWTOR community

Thank you!

Welcome Jackie to the Fam!

Most memorable moment in game was meeting the love of my life and my three best friends.

:rak_03:

I love these experiences so much! I’m looking forward to learning more about the community here. And thank you for the suggestion on the crafting posts. Will definitely check them out.

One good example of this -

The CLASS forums, under Guardian/Juggernaut, the top post relates to a guide for game version 3.0 and was made sticky in 2014. The guide it was for has long since been removed. The last meaningful post is from 2015, though there are a couple from last year just asking why it's still stickied.

Thank you for the example!

Welcome JackieKo^^

I am now co-running the guild that I got ninja invited to 3 years ago.

Hello and thank you! It’s awesome read about where you were before and how it compares to where you are now. And you have backstories! I love that.

Welcome! It's exciting to see the team go and I look forward to what is to come!

Hellooooo! Thank you so much. I’m looking forward to everything as well.

Welcome to the community, Jackie!

I'm glad to see things are picking up enough to bring in new team members, and hope you find your niche' here as the others have!

Thank you for the welcome! I’m sure I will manage to find a home within a home within a home in no time. Happy holidays to you too!

Just to add my best wishes and welcome message to the rest posted here in the thread.

Hello and thank you!

Best of luck managing this forum.

(Btw, is this a good sign that Bioware/EA will expand SWTOR team?)

Thank you! I will be giving my absolute best =D I can’t speak to your question as I only know my own position, but I am incredibly happy to be here.

Welcome!

Thank you so much! That is also a nice memory/feeling to hold on to =D

• Dev Post

Page 3!

Welcome Jackie!

Thank you!

Welcome!

Thank you very much! I also enjoy stories that tug at the heart and emotions.

Welcome Jackie 😊

Hello and thank you!

Welcome!

Could you possibly explain a bit better what you will be doing?

Thank you! This is a pretty loaded question. What I mean by bridging the community and the dev team is to improve communication where possible, being active in the forums, and essentially being an advocate for both voices, community and dev team. What that looks like? That’s what I’m going to be feeling out. What does the community resonate with, where are places that need attention etc… So I’m going to be trying out different things and I’m pretty sure I’ll be receiving feedback on every step haha. I hope that gives a little more insight into what I want to do here.

Welcome and what allegiances does your heart lye with

Hello! I’m going to be completely honest, it really depends on my mood for the day. =D

*** First of all ... welcome aboard !! Always good to be able to interact with another part of the team !!

Nice to meet you! I’m definitely looking to engaging as many people as possible to truly understand the community. Appreciate your on the nose approach!

2 favourites really.

Usually I want to be hit in the feels with everything working out in the end!

Yeeeees. All the feelings!

)

Thank you! And that is a beautiful memory!

Welcome Jackie Ko!

In 2012, I was a new player on my first character, doing my first GF Flashpoint.

I love this so much. Helping others learn so more people can experience something together is such a top tier feeling for me. I’m so happy to read that this was your experience.

The moment I finally hit Valor rank 60 on my Vanguard, so I could wear the crafted Battlemaster shells my own Armormech had made for him. Now, nearly his entire squad is in old PvP gear, or otherwise has old PvP weapons. (I'd put a link in here, but it seems things in the forums have changed since I regularly posted here a few years ago; I can't embed the link in my post, for some reason. I'll post the Imgur link, if you want to see them.)

Ah, feel free to post! I’m curious! Thank you for sharing.

Please get involved with guilds in the game as there are a lot of things which need attention and improvement. There has been a constant disconnect between what the devs force on us vs what we actually want. I've got a thread here that keeps track of the various bugs, issues and requests that relate to guilds:

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=976649

It would be great if you could quietly join several of the most active guilds in the game on different servers so you can get a feel for things firsthand so the devs can make better informed decisions.

Ugh. Time to stop posting Jackie! as most people monitor Dev Tracker for helpful updates, not social postings... Might have to turn off the update until you're done......

To be a bit clearer, there is a very widely used Discord bot that posts DevTracker messages to hundreds of Discord servers and it's not working to well with your messages with multiple quotes. I'm not sure why it double posted the quote from the world boss reply you just made since that only had one quote. I took some screenshots so you can see what it looks like for us:

https://imgur.com/a/J3UQPcH

If you head to the SWTOR Discord server and check the "swtor-news" channel you can see the real things. I can't post the link to the server as I don't want to get banned from the forum but since some of the devs are there I'm sure you can find it yourself :)

Personally, I like seeing social posts in the feed, if they are not big blocks of unformatted text. I know the Discord DevTracker is a 3rd party thing and the onus should be on Teddy the dev who wrote it to update it to handle this style of posting but we've not really seen someone posting so many quotes in multiple messages before so I think you just threw a new fringe case his way :D

Teddy is one of the admins of that server as well so maybe you can contact him there and discuss it together as it is nice to see you responding to so many people.

Edited by UlaVii

Also on the topic of sections of the site that need some updating can we get post KOTFE content properly added to the media section? The latest topics being things from 2018, would be nice seeing some like Echoes of Oblivion teaser there. Another section that needs updating is the holonet, specifically the section galactic command as it is now galactic renown.

I'm not sure if this has already been mentioned, but the Community Blog also has always seemed... weird, to me. You've got the 2017 roadmap, for example, but none of the others. It just seems like there's not much of a rhyme or reason for what posts get put on the community blog and what posts don't, except for the "Meet X Creator" posts (which are really great!).