Companion’s Matter to the Story too!

lJediHunterl

I may not have been the only one to say this before but I truly believe with all the new content that has come out over the recent years, companions should have more of an impact to our gaming experience. Like hear me out on this, forget the whole dps/tank/heal malarky for a moment and think that each companion should be given their own list of skills/abilities that make them unique, requiring you (the player) to possibly mix and match to get the best use out of your companion roster. After KOTEE and KOTET, I and many others have clearly amassed a large roster of companions who we probably never use, which shouldn’t be the case in a game as developed as this.

I also feel that conversations with companions should be more frequent now, even a new line or conversation after each mission in the story, something to keep things free-flowing and in the present. For those of you who got comps like Risha, Mako, Torian, Aric, etc, where are they now? It is almost like they all have disappeared from the story? I mean, Risha and Mako never even participated in any of the story either. These companions need more meaningful impact besides approve/disapprove, they need to be more involved! A great example can be with the KOTEE episodes around Vette, Torian, Aric and Kaliyo, choosing to kill off companions, exile, just giving us more chance and opportunity to deal with the huge roster of companions we have!

I have no problem with how the story has gone so far. I am a satisfactory customer who has thoroughly enjoyed playing SWTOR for a long time, just after it was released and have rarely critiqued the game one bit. Compared to other Star Wars games, this has been a long-standing one for me and I hope to see this through for a good while yet! ☺️

Opposing view on one aspect. I like that they are, from a combat point of view, interchangeable. Why? Well, this feature allows me to select a companion to come with me based on who the companion is rather than what his or her combat abilities are.

I played back when companions had fixed combat roles, although the healers could be set to favour healing over DPS or DPS over healing. It was a problem because my "main" at the time was a female Commando who went round with Elara rather than with her boyfried Aric, because Elara could heal and Aric could not. If I start a new female Trooper now, she can go around with her boyfriend the whole way.

Add to that the discrepancies on when healer companions joined the crew(1), and it made some classes annoying to play.

(1) List:

* Trooper = Capital+1 (Elara on Taris)

* Consular = Capital+2 (Tharan on Nar Shaddaa)

* Knight = Capital+5 (Doc on Balmorra)

* Smuggler = Capital+7 (Guss on Hoth)

* Bounty Hunter = Starter/Capital-1 (Mako on Hutta)

* Inquisitor = Capital+7 (Talos Drellik on Hoth)

* Warrior = Capital+1 (Quinn - spit - on Balmorra)

* Agent = Capital+4 (Vector on Alderaan)

I remember back in the day when they Were all different : not only in their combat roles, but in their crafting abilities as well... i.e. certain companions had a bonus to crafting certain things... i.e. Jorgan for Armstech, Yuun for Investigation, etc. so much so that, once I became aware of this as I was learning the game, I choose crafts for different characters based on what the companion skills were bonused.

I like the fact that now you can have whichever companion you'd like to go around with: although some of the flashpoints/ Kotfe, etc you are restricted to using certain companions.

The reason why the companions don't have dialogue in end-game is because of voice actors...

nowadays they don't have them coming in because of the covid pandemic, but before there was a strike I believe, or it could be the expense involved... they are no longer dropping the huge amounts of money into game development that they were when the game was started in 2011-2012.

The reason why the companions don't have dialogue in end-game is because of voice actors...

nowadays they don't have them coming in because of the covid pandemic, but before there was a strike I believe, or it could be the expense involved... they are no longer dropping the huge amounts of money into game development that they were when the game was started in 2011-2012.

You have several issues:

- The Voice Actor strike

- The cost of voice acting

- At least one companion Voice Actor has passed away

- Dozens of required actors (There are a LOT of companions! Too many to meaningfully involve every one, or even most, really)