Some update on what's next is needed

Tannenfels

So, it's been almost 3 months since the Onslaught release, and I still do hope that that 2 hour worth of playing content is not the only one till the Fall. I think you folks agree that lack of news on the game's development is somewhat unnerving.

So, roadmap when?

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Keith said in November 2019 that the next major update 6.1 would be "early next year." So far, we just know about the new stronghold - Alderaan.

I never lose sleep over this b/c I also play ESO and enjoy other games / activities. I took a 5 month break from SWTOR last year and have no problems doing so again.

Dasty

You know what annoys me? You coming here demanding news when you didn't make the slightest effort to find them.

Read the forums and watch the livestreams.

Theres a new patch coming in February. But if you think onslaught was just 2 hours of game, then this game will never satisfy you and you are better off quitting ahead and going to something boring like WoW or FFXIV.

I read the forums daily, and missed the livestream because gosh I was at work and unable to take the time to watch it. From what I have gathered it was about the alderaan stronghold, which is one of many things I would like to hear about (i.e. any more details on when, specifically, it's coming?)

Onslaught has been out several months, and the holidays have been over for a week. Its time for someone at BW to give an appearance. Plus we know Musco is there, because he can post non-answers in bug threads.

I read the forums daily, and missed the livestream because gosh I was at work and unable to take the time to watch it. From what I have gathered it was about the alderaan stronghold, which is one of many things I would like to hear about (i.e. any more details on when, specifically, it's coming?)

Onslaught has been out several months, and the holidays have been over for a week. Its time for someone at BW to give an appearance. Plus we know Musco is there, because he can post non-answers in bug threads.

The livestream gets archived on swtors twitch channel, you can watch whenever you have time. Theres probably recaps on reddit around the time.

There was a post launch post from keith wich was on the front page for probably a week. You can use the dev tracker to keep up with those.

I am sure that new info will come up towards the end of the month or early february.

Honestly, rather than what's next i would like for them to confirm they are fixing the air jets in pvp and the utilities that are stil broken.

Edited by Nemmar

The livestream gets archived on swtors twitch channel, you can watch whenever you have time. Theres probably recaps on reddit around the time.

There was a post launch post from keith wich was on the front page for probably a week. You can use the dev tracker to keep up with those.

I am sure that new info will come up towards the end of the month or early january.

I have checked Keith's launch message, and it addressed none of the issues I raised. And yes, reddit and the forums are where I got information about the twitch stream from. I check the dev tracker at least daily.

And yet I still find the lack of communication pathetic. Maybe people disagree and each has good reasons for it?

I'm going to assume we get information beginning of February, about changes they make without consulting us, or if they do consult us, do what they wanted anyway, ignoring the obvious issues we raise, then launch the new stronghold without bothering to address anything people are commenting on in the PTS thread on it. Because that's their track record.

Seriously, why am I paying for the benefit of posting on this forum. I got so bored with the actual game I havent played except to check kai for the 2 tacticals I want in what a month.

But it seems they're fine with that. Who needs active players as long as someones paying the bills?

Edited by KendraP

Also, given the time frame - Winter Solstice Holidays et al - many people have barely had time to wear out Onslaught yet.

What?

There was barely 2 hours of content?

The only people who haven't worn it out yet are those who quit before it was released.

All The Best

What's needed next is a joint EA/Disney announcement that the original 10-year contract has been extended.

please hell no.

that this game needs to further sure but not with EA.

disney most look for a other company that care's about the game more then what EA is doing and have done in the past few years.

EA only has make star wars game's worse then better.

i not know if you are following a other thread that there are lot off bug's still in this game that are old and some off then are really old and still not fix.

what disney most do is easy look for a other company that wane make star wars game's and really care's about there players and comunety and not doing the same like EA only care about making a lot off money and invest notting back from it in the game to make it better.

I have checked Keith's launch message, and it addressed none of the issues I raised. And yes, reddit and the forums are where I got information about the twitch stream from. I check the dev tracker at least daily.

And yet I still find the lack of communication pathetic. Maybe people disagree and each has good reasons for it?

I'm going to assume we get information beginning of February, about changes they make without consulting us, or if they do consult us, do what they wanted anyway, ignoring the obvious issues we raise, then launch the new stronghold without bothering to address anything people are commenting on in the PTS thread on it. Because that's their track record.

Seriously, why am I paying for the benefit of posting on this forum. I got so bored with the actual game I havent played except to check kai for the 2 tacticals I want in what a month.

But it seems they're fine with that. Who needs active players as long as someones paying the bills?

Yes, that was a typo i meant to say the beginning of February.

Honestly though, have you played any other mmo's? Like WoW's team doesn't communicate as much as this team does. FF goes at least 1 or 2 months before saying anything as well, and those are the biggest mmo's in the market.

But you know, this is swtor and you've been here for many years. You know how they act in regards to bugs, especially performance based problems. They usually take years to fix.

I remember back in the day i left this game because of the ability delay bug where you would get "ghost" GCD's. It took years for that to be fixed, but it seems to be fixed now and here i am again.

Thing is performance based bugs are not the field of the guys that talk to us, wich are the community manager lead and the creative lead. Keith Kennig is the producer, and i am sure he knows what is going on, but it is clear that the engineering branch has issues of manpower and expertise, so anything and everything takes a long time.

Doesn't mean we shouldn't keep asking though. But i gotta say, if you are bored of the game, then i suggest playing something else in the meanwhile rather than frustrate yourself here. I actually find swtor the most fun mmo out atm. Like, literal raw fun. Gearing up is a lot of fun, playing alts is a lot of fun. There are bugs and performance issues. They suck. I secretly hope they are developing something like a SWTOR2 a realm reborn/cataclysm in order to solve all those back end engine issues.

Heck, i'd be happy with them upgrading the game to windows 10 native, now that windows 7 is gonna be unsupported by MS.

Fingers crossed. But, you know, i am managing to keep myself busy. Alts are the solution for me. But of course, we all wish the game has more content. At the end of the day that will bring more players than bug fixes. It is what it is. But i hope we get both. :)

What?

There was barely 2 hours of content?

The only people who haven't worn it out yet are those who quit before it was released.

All The Best

So, took you 2 hours to gear up all your toons? To complete Dxun? To do those weekly and heroic tech fragment grinds?

Onslaught gave us a lot of content. If you don't want to do it, this is not the game for you. If story is all you care about, be prepared for these long months of wait and 2 hours of content, cause it's what you're gonna keep getting. Get used to it. We are not going back to the Eternal throne/knights model that almost killed off the game.

Edited by Nemmar

please hell no.

that this game needs to further sure but not with EA.

disney most look for a other company that care's about the game more then what EA is doing and have done in the past few years.

EA only has make star wars game's worse then better.

i not know if you are following a other thread that there are lot off bug's still in this game that are old and some off then are really old and still not fix.

what disney most do is easy look for a other company that wane make star wars game's and really care's about there players and comunety and not doing the same like EA only care about making a lot off money and invest notting back from it in the game to make it better.

I understand where you are coming from, but Bioware is the developer of this game. Bioware belongs to EA. There will be no game without EA unless Bioware could buy itself somehow or was acquired by lucasfilm (fat chance given how Star wars is flopping in general atm).

I think it is very likely that EA gets the license renewed after Jedi fallen order (hopefully it will not be exclusive anymore though). I do hope they have plans to make a swtor 2 of some sort though (i mean more like ARR/Cataclysm, rather than a new game with a new engine. Though i guess with the experience they will have with frostbite it might be possible, but neither one is especially awesome).

It is also possible that EA doesn't get the full rights but swtor continues. Remember it was going on before the deal with lucasfilm was signed.

There was barely 2 hours of content.

IF all you did was rush through Onderon and Mek-sha on only one character, then yes, it was only about 2 hours of content. But there is more to Onslaught than just the straight PvE quests. You could spend lots of time gearing up to 306 and doing the Onderon dailies. There is also a new Flashpoint, and some "secret-ish" vendors. Plus lots of scenery to just admire.

And also, don't forget that, for Americans, the Holiday season runs from Thanksgiving in November, until after the New Year. Some people spend lots more time with family and friends during that period, than playing games. While old retired guys like me can play all day, every day, many people with families are lucky to get just a few hours per week, especially at this time of year. (And, oddly enough, some BW employees also get time off from work! 😍 )

Edited by JediQuaker

The field of the guys that talk to us? The person that talks to us is musco, who to my understanding is literally a community manager.

And no I dont play other mmos because I dont see subscribing to multiple mmos.

All I'm expecting is a "hey we see you're unhappy with stuff" comment. Like seriously, how is that a high expectation.

I understand where you are coming from, but Bioware is the developer of this game. Bioware belongs to EA. There will be no game without EA unless Bioware could buy itself somehow or was acquired by lucasfilm (fat chance given how Star wars is flopping in general atm).

I think it is very likely that EA gets the license renewed after Jedi fallen order (hopefully it will not be exclusive anymore though). I do hope they have plans to make a swtor 2 of some sort though (i mean more like ARR/Cataclysm, rather than a new game with a new engine. Though i guess with the experience they will have with frostbite it might be possible, but neither one is especially awesome).

It is also possible that EA doesn't get the full rights but swtor continues. Remember it was going on before the deal with lucasfilm was signed.

so far i know and thats all about after the big mass with battlefront 2 that time that EA is gone lose a lot off rights off the star wars game's maybe gone loss then all.

after the big mass from battlefront 2 there was news from that disney has reopen there old company again that was closed before EA got the linces for making the game's.

Lucasarts was the name from the company.

that company from disney was back in the day's good with making good star wars game's.

and who knows is gone be lucasarts company thats gone running SWTOR also.

and who knows there have fond all a other company to run this game that is better then EA.

So, took you 2 hours to gear up all your toons? To complete Dxun? To do those weekly and heroic tech fragment grinds?

Onslaught gave us a lot of content. If you don't want to do it, this is not the game for you. If story is all you care about, be prepared for these long months of wait and 2 hours of content, cause it's what you're gonna keep getting. Get used to it. We are not going back to the Eternal throne/knights model that almost killed off the game.

No, it took me two hours to play through the story element.

I am not stupid/desperate/addicted (delete as appropriate) enough to rinse-repeat already stale content to complete a deliberately, excessively extended (moronically thought out ) gear-grind that will only just get me back to being what I was BEFORE the gear-grind was added.

And as I have repeatedly said, but you seem to ignore because it suits your deliberately dishonest representation of my position, I don't want to go back to KotFE/ET either - that was where it all started to go so badly wrong it is almost unrecoverable.

We need to go further back than that - to Class Story content; that is, after all, what this game was built on.

All The Best

...to complete a deliberately, excessively extended (moronically thought out ) gear-grind that will only just get me back to being what I was BEFORE the gear-grind was added.

If it's excessively extended, then how could I get 10+ characters in full 306 gear with the mods I wanted, set bonuses and tacticals in 3 weeks?

I do agree that it's not a good gear system but for different reasons. The only thing that takes longer is the augments, which you don't need for most content anyyway, but that's because they put a frustrating gate in the form of conquest-only materials.

I do think that the gearing system is moronic but not because it's an extended grind. My issues lie around how harder content is not rewarding anymore and the issue that also because it's so easy and quick to gear up characters to BiS gear, it's very short-term to me. I'm almost done augmenting and that's something I do just because it's something to do. Essentially I'm already long done with gearing my 12 characters. So now what?

In short: there's a lot wrong with the current gearing system, but it's not because it's an extended grind. Once you figure out how it works, it's the fastest we can gear up our toons ever in this game... but that's also one of the issues with it.

Edited by Tsillah

No, it took me two hours to play through the story element.

I am not stupid/desperate/addicted (delete as appropriate) enough to rinse-repeat already stale content to complete a deliberately, excessively extended (moronically thought out ) gear-grind that will only just get me back to being what I was BEFORE the gear-grind was added.

And as I have repeatedly said, but you seem to ignore because it suits your deliberately dishonest representation of my position, I don't want to go back to KotFE/ET either - that was where it all started to go so badly wrong it is almost unrecoverable.

We need to go further back than that - to Class Story content; that is, after all, what this game was built on.

All The Best

Surely you realise that isn't going to happen. We only had that with the vanilla release so... you don't want a patch or an expansion, you want swtor 2 with completely new class stories.

We really have hit hard times if grinding for gear is considered content. That's about as much fun as killing 1000 bormu on Balmorra.

Think it's bad no, should have seen it at release :eek: they've actually increased the amount of bormu (still lacking though) from then.

We really have hit hard times if grinding for gear is considered content. That's about as much fun as killing 1000 bormu on Balmorra.

That is the point of every rpg. I don't understand what is surprising about it. RPG's gameplay is all about the pursuit of power for your character.

Edited by Nemmar

• Dev Post

Hey folks,

First off, happy new year! We know that with a new year means questions of "what's next" and so let me try to add some clarity to things.

What's next? In case you missed our last livestream in December or didn't get a chance to check it out on PTS, Game Update 6.1 is the next thing on the horizon and it is slated for a February release. That update contains our next story beat (around the size of Hearts and Minds) and the new Alderaan Stronghold! Many of you have already have already shared your thoughts on the Stronghold, we are hoping to have PTS back up later this week with some new changes to check out.

One other quick note about 6.1 is the usage of the .1 in the Game Update. In the past we have been pretty inconsistent in our Game Update numbering and so we wanted to clean that up. This started at 6.0 but going forward any 6.X update will only increment if there is some story contained in the update. If there is no story, then it will increment by 6.X.X.

Ex: After 6.1 if the next update contained story, it would be 6.2. If it doesn't have story it would be 6.1.1.

We talked about this last year as well but just a reminder that we have moved away from the big form roadmaps that we used to post. Instead we try to lean more on updates via PTS, posts, livestreams, and blogs. So you should expect to see more about what is beyond 6.1 as we get closer to / beyond its launch. With that said, that doesn't mean Keith will stop swinging in to give you some longer term updates. I would expect before the end of January to see Keith in the forums to give you a bit of a welcome to 2020 which will likely contain some hints at what we are looking at doing this year.

I can tell you that the team is really excited about what is coming in 2020 and we are already planning around things for next year, our 10-year anniversary (and beyond)!

Thanks everyone.

-eric