Will Galactic Renown start from level 1 onwards since its based on item rating?

Devadevan

"Since Galactic Renown is now going to scale with your item rating, will reset at various points, and we'll earn RXP along side XP does that mean we'll start earning GR, and thus GR crates, from level 1?" -ceryxp

i saw this question raised in the main recap thread by user ceryxp, however i did not find an answer or even much discussion about this, i could have missed it (pls post the relevant threads if there are) or its not widely as discussed like other aspects of this new gearing system. Even Kid Lee is not even sure in his recent video on the changes to Galactic Command whether Galactic Renown (GR) starts from 1 or 70 or 75. So i would like to know if it starts at level 1 as in the live stream, it was said that Renown XP (RXP) will be earned from a percentage of your normal EXP. So my assumption was initially that it would start from level 1 since its based on item rating probably like Anthem when you are in the early stages of gameplay levelling and progressively gaining higher level gear as you play through the missions and story. This was my understanding of it and i want to know if this is correct.

My personal opinion is that this new form of gearing should be made available from level 1. I am not talking about earning super high quality gear right from tython itself but like for example, gear loot drops from enemies scale to your personal gear rating. This rating will progressively climb as the higher the level you gain or the deeper you progress into the story. I think this would fit well with many people and the new philosophy by the dev team of "Play your way". What do you think?

My personal opinion is that this new form of gearing should be made available from level 1. I am not talking about earning super high quality gear right from tython itself but like for example, gear loot drops from enemies scale to your personal gear rating. This rating will progressively climb as the higher the level you gain or the deeper you progress into the story. I think this would fit well with many people and the new philosophy by the dev team of "Play your way". What do you think?

I think that gear drops from enemies already scale for your true level (not your synced level).

I think that gear drops from enemies already scale for your true level (not your synced level).

you are right but the gear drops are not sync with your advanced class, i think this new system will have gear drops relevant to your advanced class. Also its completely random when and where the gear will drop. Eg: purples from weak enemies and greens from elite enemies etc.

I believe it'll be locked behind a lv 75 gate.

i suspect that too, keeping my fingers crossed that they may choose to implement it from level 1 onwards.. i am just remeniscient of the older gearing system (basic comms/ green data crystals era) where by the time you hit max level you are able to outfit your character with the basic endgame set and you can repeat every content to slowly build up more comms/crystals to outfit your comp or your alts no matter what level or what planet you are on.

i suspect that too, keeping my fingers crossed that they may choose to implement it from level 1 onwards.. i am just remeniscient of the older gearing system (basic comms/ green data crystals era) where by the time you hit max level you are able to outfit your character with the basic endgame set and you can repeat every content to slowly build up more comms/crystals to outfit your comp or your alts no matter what level or what planet you are on.

Unless you're on your first toon, you'll still be able to do that. All armor is going to be legacy based. If you have 70's you can buy for your future lvl 75 toon via the vendor with "chuck bucks" and just move them to that toon.

Now, I'm not saying I wouldn't want the RXP to start at level one, that'd be nice.

But it isn't necessary to do what you're asking for.

Tl;dr: devs, please drop the RXP-gating firewall at level 75 and allow us to earn the new XP and currency from level one (and if you've already planned on doing that, and I misunderstood:o, then bravo and thanks!)

I created a thread on this, and here's my Tl;dr above. If they don't start it at level 1, I'm afraid people will feel disincentivized to reroll new toons and play from level one (which has negative consequences on aspects of the game like low/mid PvP)...

I didn't think this was that hard to understand, but maybe a rephrasing will help....

The rating of the gear drops will be based on the rating of the gear you are wearing

(eg if you are wearing 236, you'll get gear close to 236. no word on how close)

The type of gear dropped will be based on your class

(eg Mercenaries will get Mercenary gear, Powetechs will get Powertech gear, etc)

renown levels just track how often you get crates, level 1 and level 700 will have the same drops as described above

I didn't think this was that hard to understand, but maybe a rephrasing will help....

The rating of the gear drops will be based on the rating of the gear you are wearing

How close? Apparently for drops (rather than crate contents) the closeness depends on the content where they drop.

(eg Mercenaries will get Mercenary gear, Powetechs will get Powertech gear, etc)

Class and discipline, especially for tank/dps/dps classes..

renown levels just track how often you get crates, level 1 and level 700 will have the same drops as described above

No, they don't track the frequency of crates. All levels, because they have drops determined by gear level rather than renown level, will require the same amount of RXP.

What STC said above. And also, this doesn't have anything to do with the OP....

It's pretty far down, and an answer for a completely unrelated question.

What restrictions are there going to be on acquiring gear for f2p / prefered players ?

Most of the things we are talking about are in Onslaught so they would not be available for F2P (ex: Renown is at max level).

We are going to be improving how Preferred status players can get gear (who have access to Onslaught). We will be sharing those details as we get closer to launch. - Musco

You understand that would screw up all the quest gear rewards yeah? As well as all the vendor items...

Lvl1's don't need lvl75 gear. It's a max level system for max level characters.

Edited by Nemmar

I asked the question and so far, no, I have not seen that it has been answered. Some of the replies here don't seem to understand the question but it is an important question.

Yes, one of the answers given during the AMA stated that Renown is at max level. But that contradicts some of the other things they have said, both in the stream and in the AMA answers. During the stream when they talked about Renown,

, it's about 5 mins of the stream, they said a few things that indicate it won't be limited to level 75 only. For one, for their first example they say that a character at item rating 252 will get the same gear from a Renown rank 1 crate as they would get from a Renown rank 900 crate. Their example is intended to show how Renown crates will be flat and drop gear based upon your item rating rather than your Renown rank, so gone are their various tiers of crates. Later Charles says, and I've been saying it was Eric who said this, that Renown ranks are purely cosmetic and one's Renown rank is purely about showing how long they've been playing. Renown ranks will now be seasonal and periodically reset. Charles states that Renown will no longer be a progression, because the tiers are gone, and Renown is purely for tracking one's play time (the actual audio is a bit garbled, but it sounds like Charles says it's purely for tracking how many of these things you get). A little later when taking about how one earns RXP, they state that we will now earn RXP as a percentage of XP, kill a mob and get XP and RXP was the example used. They specifically state that any activity that earns us XP will also earn RXP. Then Charles states that even at max level they still track how much XP we would have received and RXP will be calculated against that.

Taken all together it does sound like Renown won't be limited to level 75. If it is then their example about someone in item rating 252 gear would imply that we'll be wearing the same gear we have now for the next five levels before we can start working on the new gear. Their comment about Renown rank being purely cosmetic and a measure of one's play time is wrong because no one will be able to earn Renown XP on day one of 6.0. That means that your play time from level 1 to 74 doesn't count, which is kind of counter to their claims about play your way. When they're talking about how we earn RXP they say that we'll be earning it along side regular XP, which really isn't true if we only earn RXP at level 75. We don't earn XP at max level, they may track it, and our RXP earned may be calculated against that, but we're not earning it because we're max level, so the two really don't jibe.

One of the most important implications is that if Renown is limited to max level, level 75, then no one can earn RXP on the first day of Onslaught. But also, if it is limited to max level then that counters their claims about it being a measure of one's play time since they're not counting the time it takes to get to max level.

We need clarification on this but so far they've chosen to be silent on it.

• Dev Post

Hey!

I am seeing this question still pop up quite a bit so let me clarify. Renown is a max level supplementary gearing system, you will not start earning RXP until you are level 75. A lot of the things we talk about relating to gear being relevant to your character, such as targeting your item rating, are mostly referencing end game gearing only.

The reason for this is that throughout the rest of the game, the vast majority of Mission rewards, especially story, already drop gear intended for your character. Some content also already drops "relevant" gear such as from daily mission crates. What we are talking about is improving the gearing experience at endgame, there are not many changes planned for the rest of the experience.

That being said, if there are particular places that you feel lower level gearing is particularly rough, let us know!

-eric

Hey!

I am seeing this question still pop up quite a bit so let me clarify. Renown is a max level supplementary gearing system, you will not start earning RXP until you are level 75. A lot of the things we talk about relating to gear being relevant to your character, such as targeting your item rating, are mostly referencing end game gearing only.

The reason for this is that throughout the rest of the game, the vast majority of Mission rewards, especially story, already drop gear intended for your character. Some content also already drops "relevant" gear such as from daily mission crates. What we are talking about is improving the gearing experience at endgame, there are not many changes planned for the rest of the experience.

That being said, if there are particular places that you feel lower level gearing is particularly rough, let us know!

-eric

Thanks for the definitive answer, Eric.

Regarding lower level gear, I think the stat distribution per spec and with each slot is pretty rough to this day. I know tertiary stats like alacrity and absorb aren't necessary in leveling but it does highlight the importance of experimentation or trying to maximize on specific builds. It could simply be the scaling, as smaller stat points equal smaller gains but if someone could really feel the change in going for alacrity, absorb, shield etc, I think it would help guide newer players and make leveling more than just having enough HP and DPS. I know it's not a priority and no one in their right mind would be aiming for min-maxing lowbies at this point but it sort of negates the point of lower level gear stat variation and augments entirely, no?

Also, lowbie/sync tanks could use some dps loving! :D

Hey!

-eric

Thank you for the direct answer, Eric, but in my opinion I think this is an unfortunate design decision.

Restricting Renown ranks to max level effectively makes the sub-75 game a race to get to level 75 as quickly as possible so one can participate. It's been stated that Renown ranks are a supplemental path to gearing, and I can understand your point about the current sub-max level gearing system, which I think has some flaws but DarthCasus covered that quite well, making Renown crates redundant while leveling, but Renown has also been described as a measure of one's play time and a high rating is bragging rights. Well, if Renown is restricted to max level then you're effectively saying that one's time from level 1 through 74 doesn't count. So in reality, Renown isn't a measure of one's play time but a measure of one's time at max level.

As a follow-up question, will sub-75 characters be able to break down their gear for crafting mats or Charles Points, or will that too be restricted to max level? If it is the case that that system and those points are restricted to level 75 then that is yet another system that makes the sub-75 game nothing more than a race to get to level 75. As someone pointed out recently in another discussion, there is a vast difference between max level and end game. By restricting everything to level 75 (if these are also restricted to level 75) you're incentivizing one to get to max level as quickly as possible, but that doesn't mean their going to be in end game. People will just run flashpoints and heroics to get to max level as quickly as possible as soon as they get off of their starter world so they can start working on their max level gear while playing their class story. If this system is open to all characters across all levels then one can organically build up to acquiring their max level gear while playing their class story and not feel like their time in those levels was a waste.

Hey!

-eric

First of all, thank you for the reply.

I have to mirror ceryxp's comment though and say that I think this is not a healthy design decision regarding the leveling experience before you hit lvl 75, and especially for players that are F2P and Preferred. I understand that your main goal is to make the endgame progression more rewarding in order to get more people to subscribe. But even as a subscriber this will continue to devalue the entire level progression before lvl 75 and keep it as a chore to rush through.

When you first told us about the galactic renown system during the livestream I immediately pictured it as an analogous system to how legacy progression works, with a portion of any xp any of your characters earn flowing into renown xp and the crate reward being tied to the character item rating and level. In that sense, I think earning renown xp should start with lvl 10. Even if the accumulated renown xp would be much less compared to max lvl characters, you would still feel like your meager lvl 12 character is contributing to your legacy as a "family member" and a renown crate drop from a low level character could be valuable even for a max level character. I think doing it that way could populate the planets across the board and It would also nicely tie into your wise decision to make all the gear legacy-transferable.

Make people susbcribe to get the latest content in terms of story, flashpoints, operations and planets, not because of an essential progression mechanic.

Edited by Phazonfreak

Have you tried leveling through lowbie and midbie warzones?

I know you are directing this question @EricMusco - but let me say that it's not really possible to level via lowbie/midbie pvp any longer. There are just not enough queue pops to level this way and anytime it does give you a match, it's almost guaranteed to be an arena because there just is not anyone queueing for these matches since 5.0 did away with any real reward for doing so. It was an unintended consequence of changing the gearing system to have all PvP and PvE gear be the same, meaning you could no longer earn tokens or currency that you could save up to purchase PvP specific gear when you reached max level, but that system was amazing and made playing PvP in the lower brackets much more worthwhile.

I would HIGHLY encourage you guys to come up with better rewards for lowbie/midbie PvP and help get this game mode back as part of the leveling experience. It all but died with 5.0.

Edited by PennyAnn