Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Reddit AMA Summary

First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

DanielSteed
06.05.2019 , 04:08 PM | #1 Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread. Next  
Hello everyone!

Earlier today the team did an AMA about Spoils of War on the /SWTOR subreddit. Here is a breakdown of all the questions that were answered. I've broken up the all the questions/answers into multiple posts to make quoting segments easier.

Question - "1. Will you revamp tank gearing and/or defense scaling so that tanks don't have to mix and match DPS mods to perform adequately?
2. Will you change the interaction of alacrity and the GCD to remove breakpoints (e.g., by allowing players to have a GCD of 1.32s instead of only 1.5, 1.4, 1.3, etc.) and thereby open up more flexibility in gearing choices for different specs?
3. Will relics, especially tanking, healing, and alacrity relics, present a variety of viable choices?"

Answer -
Spoiler

Question - "When you began talking about Tactical items I immediately thought about how it sounded similar to WoW: Legion's legendary system. The most common complaint about its legendary system was how RNG dependant it was where you could get some head piece or relic which was okay or you could get your BiS gloves that made your class playable for higher tier content. With there being no possible way to target a specific legendary and you being restricted on acquiring them it turned many players off of it and was one of the most consistent complaints throughout the expansion.

Do you feel that tactical items and how you acquire them will bypass these issues? Or are we going to get them at a rate where not getting the ideal one won't be a massive issue for too long?

Bonus question, what do you like on your pizza?"

Answer -
Spoiler

Question - "What restrictions are there going to be on acquiring gear for f2p / prefered players?"

Answer -
Spoiler

Question - "If amplifiers won't be included in balance targets, will that make progression of the new operation too easy? Will top teams just agree not to use them? Or will the stat increase be too small to make a difference?

Also, interesting to know that Eric has been on the SWTOR team for 40320 years. Looking good for his age."

Answer -
Spoiler

Question - "When crafting gear in 6.0 with relevant stats, how do we acquire materials? I believe in 5.10.x we can craft 258 items, but the mats only drop from NiM Gods, so basically unattainable."

Answer -
Spoiler
Daniel Steed | Community Coordinator
Follow us on Twitter @SWTOR | Like us on Facebook
[Contact Us] [Rules of Conduct] [F.A.Q.]

DanielSteed
06.05.2019 , 04:08 PM | #2 Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread. Next  
Question - "So I'm someone who's played on an off since Beta (My CE Malgus is staring at the screen) and the latest break has been my longest yet.

So I'd like to know how this gearing system is going to affect me as a returning player? Is there some easy way to get caught up on how I'm supposed to gear for my old role? Are there systems which make it intuitive?"

Answer -
Spoiler

Question - "Will there be a new way of managing legacy armor?

I currently have about 7 sets of legacy armor for dozens of different characters and it takes a lot of my time pulling out the armor, putting it back in, and keeping all the sets organized.

I've spent hours and hours looking for missing pieces of legacy armor. Mistakes can be brutal."

Answer -
Spoiler

Question - "With everything becoming bind to legacy, where are we at with weapons in Outfit Designer?"

Answer -
Spoiler

Question - "Once we start acquiring amplifiers and tacticals, will there still be a reason to craft gear either for our main characters or our alts?"

Answer -
Spoiler

Question - "Your testing schedule seems too short to accurately test all these new items wouldn't it be more effective to test more than one class at a time?"

Answer -
Spoiler

DanielSteed
06.05.2019 , 04:09 PM | #3 Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread. Next  
Question - "I’d like to echo /kunderam's questions and add a few more regarding drops in operations.

– Will bosses drop actual gear or unassembled pieces you can exchange for gear based on your class and spec (as it is now)?
– Will they always drop items based on your current gear rating, or you’ll get better ones from harder modes (Veteran, Master)?
– Will bosses drop tacticals? If they will, then which bosses (all of them, only last ones), how much (1, 2, for everyone) and on what difficulties? Will these drops be regular or random (e.g. Brontes always drops a specific tactical, Brontes always drops a random tactical, Brontes has a chance to drop specific tactical, Brontes has a chance to drop random tactical)?
– What kind of rewards ops weeklies will provide? Gear, tacticals, Charles points, or only XP / RXP?"

Answer -
Spoiler

Question - "Your article states this:-

"The game will now take into consideration your current Discipline and the average power level of your gear to make you more likely to receive items that both work for your playstyle and are around the power level of the items you have equipped."

Will the difficulty of the content affect the drops you get or will, for example, Veteran FPs and Master Mode FPs drop the same items if drops are based on your current power level?"

Answer -
Spoiler

Question - "Throughout the lifespan of SWTOR, the game has seen a plethora of different loot and progression philosophies over the years. Onslaught seems to really be challenging the current state of loot design, both acquisition and progression, once again. Could you speak to the overall mentality and approach for this new design philosophy regarding loot? If you could touch on what you're experimenting with and where you see the true value in the design approach, that would be excellent - thank you!"

Answer -
Spoiler

Question - “Which currencies are you getting rid of? I really think it needs a streamline!

Currently I've got Light Side Tokens, Dark Side Tokens, Command Tokens, Iokath Power Shards, Relics of Ossus, Masterwork Crystal, Monumental Crystals, Alliance Recon Data, Fleet Commendations, Ranked PvP Reward Tokens in the top section”

Answer -
Spoiler

Question - “So, just out of curiosity. You mentioned in the livestream that since the shells will have set bonuses instead of the armorings, does that mean that the shells will have the same boost in stats set bonus-wise regardless of item rating? Just as an example, if I had an empty chest piece, one that’s 248 and the other 252, would they both give the exact same set bonus? Would the amplifiers be different?”

Answer -
Spoiler

DanielSteed
06.05.2019 , 04:09 PM | #4 Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread. Next  
Question - “Will all loot become personal, including in operations? If so, will we be able to trade items with guildies who need them more?”

Answer -
Spoiler

Question - “Hi guys! Thanks for doing this. Can you explain a bit more about gear drops in Operations? Currently, if you kill a boss you get a specific drop (with the exception of the Queen), both in terms of gear slot and tier (eg – 242 Boots). With the new system, it sounds like Ops bosses will still drop gear, but I’m not clear on how it will work. Will the gear drops still be:
  • Slot specific, or random?
  • Tier specific, or based on the power level of the toon that picks it up?
  • Class/Discipline specific?
  • Still just one (or in some cases two) drops per boss kill, or one for everyone?
Thanks again!”

Answer -
Spoiler

Question - "1. What happens to existing cosmetic shells and Crafting Schematics in Command Crates? Will these be made attainable elsewhere? Purchasable via Command Tokens and/or allow Reverse Engineering to learn how to craft items (especially the cosmetic items)?
2. Reverse Engineering being a bigger part of the upcoming gearing, will we see it usable on older gear? Breaking down gear that we normally couldn't (and learning schematics)? Something I've missed about crafting and gearing, learning those recipes to make stuff.
3. How will the legacy storage for crafting materials be organized and will there be a 'Deposit all crafting items to storage' button?

P.S. Would love to see some improvements to the crafting UI (having a learned tab, unlearned tab (including where to find those recipes) - yes, totally stolen from WoW, but iteration on things others have done is what WoW does. :P So, let's get SWTOR adapting more!)”

Answer -
Spoiler

Question - “What will be the base gear rating at the beginning of Onslaught? Also will all of the new gear be Bind on Legacy?”

Answer -
Spoiler

Question - “In 6.0, will there be new crafting mats introduced, or will we be using the same grade 10 mats?
Are the special mats that drop from MM Gods going to be used in any of the new schematics?”

Answer -
Spoiler

Question - “With Galactic Command becoming Galactic Renown, what will happen to the "Commanding Legacy" Legacy-Wide Unlock, and the Improved Command Experience I-V Character Perks? I know that the various Command Rank 300 achievements are being moved to Feats of Strength, but I didn't hear anything about that Legacy/Character Unlocks. Also, if we have a lot of the Command Boosts saved up, what will happen to those when Onslaught is released? Will they be converted to credits, or changed to a new boost?”

Answer -
Spoiler

DanielSteed
06.05.2019 , 04:09 PM | #5 Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread. Next  
Question - “Will there be gear pieces that can be used in multiple set bonuses? Will relics, earpieces, implants have set bonuses on them?”

Answer -
Spoiler

Question - "1. If the new gearing system is a success and overly loved by the community does the bioware team have it in their interest to, over the course of after the expansion plan to add more set bonus/tactical items as new content comes out IE: Flashpoint/operations/ new pvp game modes
2. Will there be a new set of Augments to come with the new gear changes (Item level increase?)
3. Will there be PvP set bonuses and PvE set bonuses?”

Answer -
Spoiler

Question - “Will we see the same stat-point inflation in Spoils of War that we currently have with 258 gear (and if so will operations be re-balanced around it) or should we expect stats to be closer to how they were in 242/248 (in effect, not raw amount).

Second, what effect will these changes have on high-alacrity builds that are currently possible due to these inflated stat pools? Will they only be viable on classes with alacrity bonuses, or will we see set bonuses/tactical items/amplifiers that will allow them to run effectively.

Third, will alacrity be "fixed" in Sow and round to the nearest hundredth, or are we stuck with the disparate alacrity breakpoints?

Thanks!”

Answer -
Spoiler

Question - “What will happen to CXP packs? Will CXP boost consumables still be a thing? If so, will they be refreshable (the current ones aren’t, which often leads to them falling off at the worst of times). Will XP boost consumables impact Renown gain? More generally, how will all of the various boosts interact?”

Answer -
Spoiler

Question - “What about existing command crates? What will happen with them? Also, the command tokens in your command stash? Will they convert into credits with the expansion or be lost?”

Answer -
Spoiler

Question - “Since the levels for Renown will all be equally good, does that mean the RXP it takes to get from level to level will remain static as well? (hopefully)”

Answer -
Spoiler

Question - “Since all new gear is no-legacy bound, would I be correct to assume that I will not be able to sell or buy it from GTN anymore?”

Answer -
Spoiler

HKtheindomitable
06.05.2019 , 04:36 PM | #6
Awesome stuff! So glad to see the extra information on things. I look forward to the PTS when it's out!
PAX REPUBLICA
Casual PVP&PVE
Star Forge | Captain |International Guild

commanderwar
06.05.2019 , 05:10 PM | #7
Thanks Dan and Devs! you guys did great with the AMA
here's my refer a friend link
http://www.swtor.com/r/QWYrwx

annabethchase
06.05.2019 , 06:44 PM | #8
This is the best information distribution I've seen in the history of this game. I've never seen so many direct and clear answers provided. I actually like the vast majority of the answers for my playstyle, but would still equally be praising the clarity even if I didn't like how the answers would affect me.

Thank you for providing this information.
Thinking about subbing? Use this link to help us both out http://www.swtor.com/r/3txb7F

ceryxp
06.05.2019 , 07:28 PM | #9
Hi Daniel and Eric,
Thank you both for providing this information. It has been of great assistence to myself in helping me to understand the changes that are coming, but there are a couple things about which I was hoping to get some clarification.

Above, it was stated that Renown is at max level, but in another answer directed to the individual who is returning from a long break it was stated that they will be able to acquire gear "relevant to your character from drops, crates, vendors, and Missions" (someone returning from a long break may very well not be at the current max level), then later, when speaking to the interaction of XP and RXP boosts, and when taken together with what was stated during the stream, it gave the impression that one will be able to earn RXP prior to max level. The Renown system as described is that it will be a measure of one's play time, certain language was used about cantinas and bragging rights, and it will reset periodically. All things taken together give the impression that RXP will not be restricted to max level like the current CXP system, but it was specifically stated above that Renown is at max level. Can we get clarification on this. At what level does one begin to accrue Renown XP? Is it at level 1, which would make sense if it is going to be a measure of play time as stated in the stream? Is it at level 75, which means that current max level, level 70 characters, will not be able to earn Renown on day one of 6.0? Or will the Renown system be restricted to level 70+ characters so current max level characters will be able to begin working on Renown on day one?

Another question I have is regarding gear drops and the new currency. It was stated that personal drops will be for everyone participating in the content and implied that personal gear drops will be occurring in Flashpoints. At present it is possible for a level 70 to run a Vet FP with lower level characters. So, does that mean that the new gearing system will be across the board and apply to everyone from level 1 to 75? It was stated that personal conquest rewards will provide gear, and it is certainly possible for a sub-max level character to complete their personal conquest, which makes me wonder if the new gearing paradigm will apply to characters who are below max level. Additionally, will they be able to deconstruct the gear they receive and acquire the new currency or will that system be restricted to a higher level, level 70 or 75?

Thank you for the time you took to interact with the community and disseminate this information, and thank you in advance for your consideration of my above queries.
--------------------------------------------------
Click the link. You know you wanna. You'll get free stuff. - http://www.swtor.com/r/W9ZqZj

Drenovade
06.05.2019 , 08:49 PM | #10
Thanks for posting this. Just finished reading it.

Some parts have me optimistic, others have me concerned. Some of this will have to wait until it's actually in the game(or PTS) to truly know whether it's good or bad.

But I really want to stress how much better I think amplifiers would be if they could be manually applied somehow. Randomizing gear in this fashion and having to reroll it with credits doesn't sound appealing to me at all.

Switching specs or sending gear to alts means you'd often have to reroll yet again to max out performance each time. Is the whole point just to be a giant credits sink? You can say it's "optional", but no one wants to feel like their character is lagging in potential, least of all players taking on the hardest content and certainly not PvPers.

Also, based on how tacticals are going to be affecting abilities, having them all be roughly the "same power level" just doesn't seem possible. BiS tacticals will probably vary based on the situation one needs them for(AoE, single-target DPS, etc.), and it seems inevitable that 1-2 will rise above the rest in consistently performing the best for that situation.

So again, it's the same issue with WoW's legendary system in Legion. With no reliable way to target the specific tactical you want, it presents the same frustration. This isn't even exclusive to players aiming for max performance. The same issue would be present for players just trying to find the tactical that suits their playstyle. It seems some bosses will drop some specific tacticals though at least, which is nice.

Overall, a lot of these new(and borrowed) ideas sound great, but how they are actually applied in-game is going to be what defines them. The more these features are determined by RNG, the less attractive they become.
Referral Link: http://www.swtor.com/r/QKzQQL
New players get rewards, Returning players get rewards.
See full details here: http://www.swtor.com/info/friends