Spoils of War Livestream Recap

EricMusco

I Actually Liked what they were saying about the gearing system on the stream. It was *Alot of Information and I'm going to have to think on this for a bit before I decide totally, but so far, I liked it. We'll see how it goes in practice later on. This IS another big change *Before 6.0 and on that considering what they said before about getting from where SWTOR is now (Then) and how 6.0 will be plus these increments I think all this is part of a bigger plan.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It essentially killed lowbies/midbies PvP and made re-rolling new toons serious drudgery for those who love replaying the vanilla stories. In short, please enable earning Renown XP, new vendor currency, and crates from character level 1.

This is a fantastic point and and awesome idea. Please, please, please...... please do this to make lowbies relevant again.

Edited by TrixxieTriss

Crafting and New Vendors

Crafters will be able to make competitive end-game gear (to continue the trend of play your way).

Crafters can make un-moddable max item rating gear and mods. They will have some min/maxing drawbacks.

Crafters will be able to make crafted only tactical items.

Since we are doing a history lesson here.

I remember back in 2009 when we first did learn that you never planned to add crafting at all.

Alot of ppl me included fought to have crafting in the game with our hopes that it would be similar to another SW game.

Sadly we never got that, what we did get was "good" enough since most don't enjoy that at all.

So, to the point now :D

Kindly add so we can craft the "same" items as you get as either loot or similar and I do mean STAT wise.

Some will argue that why should I do combat or grind to get gear when you can craft it.

That argument is as old as the other SW game was, back then we crafters needed combat char as much as they needed us, and that system did work.

Beside that, crafting the same STAT wise gear as you can either loot, buy off a vendor or similar gives you the choice to either craft your self since you might not want to do said thing, IE. kill something or a FP or OP.

Same if you hate crafting then you have the option to earn XP, do the Kill X, FP, OP or what not.

That in the end will give us all the same options but in the end we all have an option to get the same Stat gear as all the rest, regardless IF you need it or not, this ain't about the NEED, it's about the option to get said item.

In the past alot been gated behind walls of MM, NiM, Ops, or similar, then I ask WHY?.

What does it ruin if someone has the option to craft the same value stat on said item as if you loot it, in the end none, it's offer the player a choice. not there is no choice, it's either do MM, Ops, or Grind Ossus. Crafting is pointless and been so for a long time IF you look at the STAT values, NOT the looks :D

Back in the other SW game, we that did craft needed items that only a combat char could get you, but on the other hand that item was needed to make the best gear in the game that only a crafter could make, so in that regard we needed each other, now you have to do alot of combat to get gear, WHY ?.

Again, it's not about the NEED of said items, has nothing to do with you don't NEED that for what ever reason.

It's again about CHOICE nothing else, give ALL the option to get the same STAT gear either thrue pure combat, Grind, Crafting. WITHOUT limit the options to I need that item that I need to do a MM for or buy for X Mill on the GTN.

If you go down that road then that would mean crafting should be better then anything else, since then I would need you and you would need me and then it's fair in the end.

No, Make us choose how to do it, either I craft all parts, I buy crafted parts, or I do other things to get said item.

Today there is no "free" will, it's either MM or WB, or sorry.

Again, it's not about NEED, it's all about Options.

I prefer crafting, I don't do Op's anymore, since I don't really like em, I do them when I feel to, I shoulden't be needing too to get gear, regardless IF I need it or not, Still Choice.

Make Crafting a Choice.

Thank You.

I saw the livestream video about an hour ago as i wasn't going to stay up at 11PM to watch it through to 12:25AM.

I'm impressed with Keith, this man who looks in his late 60's early 70's has that passion to play computer games is humbling, and have the drive to push his team on into new challenges and still have time to enjoy his gaming. I also found the casual honesty rather refreshing about 22 minutes into the stream regarding chat and the crap around it.

I only hope i could end up like that one day, an old man enjoying his gaming and still having the drive to show everyone who is the boss still. :D

Regarding the spoils of war stuff and the new currency in "Charles points" :p. It seems interesting but there isn't a great deal of info given out, a lot of it is just basic. I'm still in the process of understanding everything said in the stream as auditory learning is one of my weakest points. I'm hoping the blog coming out soon can help me process it a bit more by reading it instead.

One the things i picked up is PvP balancing, the absurdity of madness spec! :D

Great irony that Madness spec until recently was one of the weakest classes in operations, PVP and some PVE content. Now it's just to be turned around. it presents another problem if a madness sorc uses two healer amps and a periodic damage amp. They'd become unstoppable.

Without more challenging story content, this really doesn't interest me.

I can already go through much of the content I play (Story, Heroics) just by spamming a single aoe action over and over and over again. New gear or gearing systems aren't going to change the fact that I can run too much of the content with no gear at all.

Bring back chapter bosses with some challenge. Bring back gameplay where you need more than one key. Then I'll be totally on board.

Sound good !

Look like to be more fun, less grind !

- What about 5.0 set (ossus). it will be removed, obsolete, more easy to get it (no more 6 month daily farming on 10 square meter)

But some wonder !

- Amplifiers

Fear about headhash ?

- New currency can be used on a vendor to allow you to purchase a random item of a specific slot (chest pieces, etc).

so what happen if i already have the chest ? am i going to see again the chest into the list ? Please no more ossus RNG reward !!!

What about PVP, dedicated armor set incoming ?

The livestream was really informative and I want to take a moment to thank you guys for keeping the communication, as well as planning ahead on this matter and listening to the community. The PTS will be critical in balancing the Spoils of War system and making it fun, so I hope you guys will listen to feedback there. Overall though you guys have given me hope for a gear progression system that in theory sounds fun, and with enough tuning thanks to PTS feedback it'll be fun in practice as well.

Again, I think you are misunderstanding here. If you actually watch the stream it is mentioned OVER and OVER that they are trying to RNG-proof gearing as much as possible, move away from RNG, and make the Galactic Command system into Galactic Renown System which will be VERY MUCH in the background. It will still be possible to gear this way, but it will be the slowest and worst way to do so. There will be lots of other, better ways to gear, many of them with RNG protection (like a vendor who will allow you to just straight up buy the pieces you want). Edited to add: They do mention that there is absolutely no MMO in the world that doesn't have some element of RNG to it, and that is correct. But they are moving as far away from RNG in the next expansion with gearing as much as they can, and that was made very, very clear during the livestream.

I watched the livestream and got nearly the opposite impression of most of the commentary I'm seeing here, with the exception of asking that set bonuses remain on armorings and not gear shells. It might be helpful to some of you to go to twitch.tv/SWTOR and watch the video. It is long, but has lots of information and specifics that are more clearly presented than they can be in text.

For all those misinterpreting Eric's post on the future of RNG please read the above. I haven't had a chance to listen to the stream yet, however I took from Eric's post exactly what PennyAnn has explained above. I do not know how so many people misunderstood it. It's like people focused on just the term "RNG" and decided to rant regardless :rolleyes:

Crafting and New Vendors

Crafters will be able to make competitive end-game gear (to continue the trend of play your way).

Crafters can make un-moddable max item rating gear and mods. They will have some min/maxing drawbacks.

Crafters will be able to make crafted only tactical items.

Since we are doing a history lesson here.

I remember back in 2009 when we first did learn that you never planned to add crafting at all.

Alot of ppl me included fought to have crafting in the game with our hopes that it would be similar to another SW game.

Sadly we never got that, what we did get was "good" enough since most don't enjoy that at all.

So, to the point now :D

Kindly add so we can craft the "same" items as you get as either loot or similar and I do mean STAT wise.

Some will argue that why should I do combat or grind to get gear when you can craft it.

That argument is as old as the other SW game was, back then we crafters needed combat char as much as they needed us, and that system did work.

Beside that, crafting the same STAT wise gear as you can either loot, buy off a vendor or similar gives you the choice to either craft your self since you might not want to do said thing, IE. kill something or a FP or OP.

Same if you hate crafting then you have the option to earn XP, do the Kill X, FP, OP or what not.

That in the end will give us all the same options but in the end we all have an option to get the same Stat gear as all the rest, regardless IF you need it or not, this ain't about the NEED, it's about the option to get said item.

In the past alot been gated behind walls of MM, NiM, Ops, or similar, then I ask WHY?.

What does it ruin if someone has the option to craft the same value stat on said item as if you loot it, in the end none, it's offer the player a choice. not there is no choice, it's either do MM, Ops, or Grind Ossus. Crafting is pointless and been so for a long time IF you look at the STAT values, NOT the looks :D

Back in the other SW game, we that did craft needed items that only a combat char could get you, but on the other hand that item was needed to make the best gear in the game that only a crafter could make, so in that regard we needed each other, now you have to do alot of combat to get gear, WHY ?.

Again, it's not about the NEED of said items, has nothing to do with you don't NEED that for what ever reason.

It's again about CHOICE nothing else, give ALL the option to get the same STAT gear either thrue pure combat, Grind, Crafting. WITHOUT limit the options to I need that item that I need to do a MM for or buy for X Mill on the GTN.

If you go down that road then that would mean crafting should be better then anything else, since then I would need you and you would need me and then it's fair in the end.

No, Make us choose how to do it, either I craft all parts, I buy crafted parts, or I do other things to get said item.

Today there is no "free" will, it's either MM or WB, or sorry.

Again, it's not about NEED, it's all about Options.

I prefer crafting, I don't do Op's anymore, since I don't really like em, I do them when I feel to, I shoulden't be needing too to get gear, regardless IF I need it or not, Still Choice.

Make Crafting a Choice.

Thank You.

/signed.

Crafting and New Vendors

<snip>

Make Crafting a Choice.

Thank You.

I love crafting, and I was bummed by how BW absolutely nerfed all of the armor-crafting professions years ago, turning them into augment and augment kit creators. Then they even nerfed the reusable items for consumable crafters. HOWEVER, you cannot allow crafters to make the top flight in-game gear without gating it behind top tier content, such as MM, VM, NiM ops. The reason for this is quite simple: PVE is tethered to gear progression. If you give a fresh (e.g.) 75 the highest lvl gear, then there's no point to SM and VM difficulty progression in the end game ops. It simply becomes NiM.

TL;DR: it would invalidate gear progression in PVE to allow crafters to craft top tier gear without having to at least "earn" the schems in top tier content.

edit: part of the "problem" with crafting being useless is that going 5 levels per xpack is something ppl would rather do with their old gear and set bonuses than bothering with new gear. I never understood the 5 levels thing...or at least why it wasn't more of a grind to move those 5 levels. that also contributed to the irrelevance of crafted gear, imo.

Edited by foxmob

• Dev Post
I watched the stream. I explained it to you in pretty much the exact terms he explained it on the stream. I hope he will jump in and clarify also, but had seen you post the same thing in several places so wanted to clarify with you sooner rather than later that this is how it will work. Additional clarification is welcome - @EricMusco =)

No additional clarification needed as you explained it exactly as I did :). Can confirm that the way you explained it in your previous post is correct.

Now that you are all seeing some very specific example of these effects be sure to revisit the brainstorming threads and make your own suggestions!

-eric

No additional clarification needed as you explained it exactly as I did :). Can confirm that the way you explained it in your previous post is correct.

Now that you are all seeing some very specific example of these effects be sure to revisit the brainstorming threads and make your own suggestions!

-eric

Thanks for clarifying in the thread. I did go watch the stream and it was excellent. I wish I had done that before reading your notes :o

Edited by TrixxieTriss

We will be talking about Galactic Command and what is happening to it in Onslaught. As we mentioned at SWC, it isn't going anywhere.

Eric on 29.5.

Galactic Command and Conquests

• Both of these systems are supplementary (not primary) ways to gear your character.
  • Galactic Command is now Galactic Renown.
  • Every rank is now valuable, no more tiers.
  • Renown is now seasonal, beginning with Onslaught.
  • Renown crate rewards scale based on your current item rating.
  • Renown XP is derived from a percentage of all XP earned (including the current CXP perks)
  • Conquest Points are also earned from a percentage of all XP earned (this is coming in 5.10.3)
  • Gear is now also delivered in Personal and Guild Conquest Rewards

Eric on 30.5.

Does this still count as "isn't going anywhere"? :confused:

I give my full feedback once I finish the live stream, but I will say I am pretty excited for the changes.

I would also like to echo the thoughts above about set bonuses and amplifiers being attached to shells. My main concern is that many of the legacy armors/weapons we have grinded for over the years would become pretty obsolete as far as I can tell (ranked PVP rewards especially).

Also I have to disagree with some people here I would rather have it so I don't have to take out the mods out of the gear and put it in another Legacy gear set to transfer the gear set bonus, ect.. IMO

Edited by commanderwar

I love crafting, and I was bummed by how BW absolutely nerfed all of the armor-crafting professions years ago, turning them into augment and augment kit creators. Then they even nerfed the reusable items for consumable crafters. HOWEVER, you cannot allow crafters to make the top flight in-game gear without gating it behind top tier content, such as MM, VM, NiM ops. The reason for this is quite simple: PVE is tethered to gear progression. If you give a fresh (e.g.) 75 the highest lvl gear, then there's no point to SM and VM difficulty progression in the end game ops. It simply becomes NiM.

TL;DR: it would invalidate gear progression in PVE to allow crafters to craft top tier gear without having to at least "earn" the schems in top tier content.

edit: part of the "problem" with crafting being useless is that going 5 levels per xpack is something ppl would rather do with their old gear and set bonuses than bothering with new gear. I never understood the 5 levels thing...or at least why it wasn't more of a grind to move those 5 levels. that also contributed to the irrelevance of crafted gear, imo.

I do hear you and I will agree with you partly.

For those of us that did play the other SW back in the day it was rather simple.

ALL gear that was anything to have what so ever came from a crafter Period!

ALL items did the first few years decay yes you could rep them but only so much until they was litterly broken.

Point being, Crafters back then did craft the BEST you could ever want in the game, BUT we also was "forced" to get items from those that play'd combat char, since part of making the best needed items from said boss or similar.

That system worked, I can make the best, but I will NEED you do make that happen.

So in a way it is gated just as in here, but in here that system NEVER worked.

They did say in the stream, I did listen to it today they will allow us to craft similar items, just with no Mod ability to the shell, and less "addon" part of that I would disagree on.

Altho I would prefer that we can make modded shells I do understand why they won't let us, to much coding to block us from alter then at a vendor I would assume. still we do have outfit slots for looks.

IF the old SW game made it to work so you was able to craft the BEST there was why not in here ?.

They need to find a system where I need you and you need me, not like now, Crafting is useless and I might need you for something but you have NO use for me since you can loot better then I can craft.

Making a system where the crafters make the best and were we need to depend on combat char does work and did work well for Ooooo so many years.

The main thing I got to hear was, you are expensive, and I always told them, I need to buy said item on the market, I don't set that price you do, another option you have is loot me said item, and I will only charge you for the mats I need to make it for you, most of the time they did, and they where happy, I got to craft and was happy, and they came back for more.

Sometimes they came and said, you are expensive and make all the money, again, above still apply and for the money part I told them, I craft to make the best and to make money, that's MY job, your job is to be as good as you can, that's your role. :D

Still, to gate crafted items behind a MM or Nim or Ops in it self ain't a bad idea, as long as a crafter NEEDS that item to make the BEST amour or weapon or what not you need as a combat char. THAT is symbiosis that work.

Sincerly Yours

I've had some tiime to process the earlier details, one thing that i'm wondering about now that GC or GR.

GC walled off Operations and other content behind it when it first came out and made it impossible for F2P'ers to get any chance of doing that content, in fact they have been merginalised to the point of pariah status. Since GC is now an optional means to acquire gear, it stands to reason it isn't fit for purpose to limit players any more as it has been noted in the livestream, so what happens to F2P'ers with the removal of GC as the limiting component in the game?

Some clarification on that would be nice.

Hey folks,

[*]Amplifiers

• New Bonus stat that will appear on Shells, Armorings, Hilts, Barrels, Mods, and Enhancements
  • Not included in PvP balance targets
  • Effects appear on specific mod types (ex: Shells and Armorings have different types of Amps)
  • Examples: Armor penetration, increased healing received, better harvesting results, increased XP
  • Amps can be rerolled (recalibrated) for credits.

-eric

I have a few questions about these amplifiers..

1. Will the bonus stat have a certain value? For example Armor penetration + 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 etc., and will rerolling adjust the value, bonus stat, or both?

2. Will there be a limit to how many of the same bonus stats you can stack per character or shell? For example, could a dot spec'd dps stack increased periodic dmg in all slots? :D

3. If certain class disciplines have armor penetration built in, would applying armor penetration amplifiers be useless or a waste?

4. Can the amplifiers be moved in and out of shells/item mods, once they are applied to that piece?

5. Will there be a cost associated with moving amplifiers in and out of shells, mods, barrels, enhancements, and across multiple characters? How much?

Thanks. Looking foward to 6.0!

Hey folks,

Crafting and New Vendors

• Crafters will be able to make competitive end-game gear (to continue the trend of play your way).
  • Crafters can make un-moddable max item rating gear and mods. They will have some min/maxing drawbacks.
  • Crafters will be able to make crafted only tactical items.
  • New currency can be used on a vendor to allow you to purchase a random item of a specific slot (chest pieces, etc).
  • New currency can be used on a vendor who appears regularly has a changing selection of specific set and tactical items (to purchase exactly what you want).

-eric

Why?

If we really can "play our way" why does Crafting have a disadvantage?

Why not give PvP the disadvantage, or Raiders?

You are just shoe-horniing people into certain play-styles while dishonestly pretending you are doing the opposite?

Why does the "Special vendor" appear regularly, with a "changing selection"?

That's just RNG by proxy!

Is he there today? Does he have what I need?

If he isn't / doesn't how do I find out EXACTLY when he Is/Does?

Your just making people play an RNG Log-In Lottery instead of the Loot-Crate Lottery.

This is just a very poor attempt, at a fancy way to disguise ever more reliance on RNG.

Must Do Better.

All The Best