2x XP & CXP does not work.

Batwer

It's bad enough that you are delaying the start by a full day, but then to say you cannot extend the event because it needs a patch...You have a week to do the work and push out a small patch to extend it. Frankly you should extend it for several days to make it up to your player base that you have let down.

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Now you're talking :rak_03:!

We did discuss extending the event but unfortunately it is not possible in this instance. Tomorrow we have a back-end fix alongside a server restart to address the issue, extending the event would require a patch.

-eric

You know Eric.. with as often as some sort of glitch like this happens.. the studio DOES need a plan to be able to move the end dates when glitches happen.

I understand things don't always go as planned... but it is precisely because this is the case that the studio needs better knobs and controls on timed events. :)

Edited by Andryah

• Dev Post
If you need to do backend work to make the event start, why can't you just do a patch as well to extend the event the day we are missing due to EA's issues? I am honestly asking, because I do not understand this stuff that well and if it would really be that much more onerous to write a small patch as opposed to just backend work.

That's a great question. What we are doing to fix the event is kind of a "quick fix" we can do on the server side. We are only capable of doing it this way because of the way the event broke. The event actually turned on partially, which is why the vendor for the white acute module is on the fleet, our back-end work is to "kick it" the rest of the way.

Doing something like changing the running time of events is built into the game itself, which would mean that we need to create a new patch to address it. To answer your question, it is a substantially larger undertaking to create a new patch than it is for us to do a "back-end" fix like the one we are doing tomorrow.

We know that double XP (and all events) are very important and losing a full day of it sucks. Even though we can't extend it here, I'll talk with the team about getting double XP back sooner than later, or extending our next instance of the event. The situation isn't ideal, but we thank all of you for your patience. We'll get you back into double XP as fast as we can tomorrow.

-eric

If you need to do backend work to make the event start, why can't you just do a patch as well to extend the event the day we are missing due to EA's issues? I am honestly asking, because I do not understand this stuff that well and if it would really be that much more onerous to write a small patch as opposed to just backend work.

Watching to turn a little at the wheel means total disaster. Total server breakdown. : p

They extended todays maintenance for more than an hour but still screwed up with event. + future cross faction + no fix to lowrated relics bugg etc ... every day shows like this game is just empty and has no future

Double XP is the go to event for everything.

May the 4th, double XP, Anniversary double XP, Solo Movie double XP, Its Summer double XP etc etc.

Is there any chance we may get a new event, one we haven't seen before open to everyone. Its been a long time since the Rakghoul event was added which I think was the last event we have seen.

That's a great question. What we are doing to fix the event is kind of a "quick fix" we can do on the server side. We are only capable of doing it this way because of the way the event broke. The event actually turned on partially, which is why the vendor for the white acute module is on the fleet, our back-end work is to "kick it" the rest of the way.

Doing something like changing the running time of events is built into the game itself, which would mean that we need to create a new patch to address it. To answer your question, it is a substantially larger undertaking to create a new patch than it is for us to do a "back-end" fix like the one we are doing tomorrow.

We know that double XP (and all events) are very important and losing a full day of it sucks. Even though we can't extend it here, I'll talk with the team about getting double XP back sooner than later, or extending our next instance of the event. The situation isn't ideal, but we thank all of you for your patience. We'll get you back into double XP as fast as we can tomorrow.

-eric

Ok you need to do a back-end fix and I'm assuming that will take until tomorrow to get done for some reason and you won't have time to patch. Why not just make next week dbl xp as well to make up for this? You have a full week to put out a patch and you should have this weeks issue already fixed. When ever there is an issue with an event you guys extend it. Why not this time? :rolleyes:

No sarcasm intended! :D Eh, I do feel you, it is sad when stuff like this happens, but when a speedy fix is applied, I'm pretty happy. :)

It's appreciated. :)

@Eric; Thanks for taking up the slack of your team and keeping the dialogue open, with some explanation at least. Probably won't satisfy people but it will have to do. And whoever you need to convince to make that happen, I'm sure you'll manage. ;)

Just run double XP/CXP throughout the Summer, or for three straight months leading up the expansion so players and their harem of alts can get fully caught up in gear and level.

Honestly, I love this idea, but can you manage the rage that would ensue when it finally ended?

-eric

Remember that post where Eric PROMISED to have the next double XP event extended for several months, explicitly?! Here is it folks for future reference -- a clear, unequivocal GUARANTEE, directly from BW, of several straight months of double XP this summer! Thank you for listening to us, Eric! Yay!!! :p

Honestly, I love this idea, but can you manage the rage that would ensue when it finally ended?

Or they will complain they didn't play much and they miss out on the double xp and cxp so it is not fair they missed out or another million excuses.

In the future, perhaps BW could further simplify processes for double XP by:

(1) not announcing it

(2) not implementing it with a patch

(3) surprise-mailing everyone with a special non-stacking triple-XP token instead.

This way,

(a) no patch needed

(b) no expectations set

© no anticipation to ruin

(d) no complaints to handle

The community is getting a freebie which in my opinion should be extremely rare given how quickly levelling happens already with CXP boosters falling out of Galactic Command Crates like snow.

And instead of being grateful for the opportunity to have it, is extremely upset when it's a bit slow.

The track record of a flawless patch is choppy to be sure but it's par for the course for the live ecosystems of MMOs. Let's recognize that BW surely did not intend for any hiccups and be grateful to have a double XP event at all.

Here's a legit question...

Why can't you, server side, make a control panel for the events and just tick the events instead of taking the servers down and bring them back up? I realize you don't talk about backend stuff and it'd be some pretty intense coding, but wouldn't be easier to make the events into modules and connect it to a control panel?

Why can't you, server side, make a control panel for the events and just tick the events instead of taking the servers down and bring them back up? I realize you don't talk about backend stuff and it'd be some pretty intense coding, but wouldn't be easier to make the events into modules and connect it to a control panel?

I can only assume, if something like this is possible,(I don't know about coding so, no idea) They may or may not have the resources to do this?

I could throw in quite a few ideas too that would seem like an easy possible fix to me, but it may not be possible at all.:o:p

So there was an extended downtime that already disproportionately affected European players yesterday, and now we have to deal with another server shutdown because the last shutdown couldn't even do the thing it was supposed to do right?

Hope this one doesn't overrun by three hours too.

Edited by OedipusWrex

So there was an extended downtime that already disproportionately affected European players yesterday, and now we have to deal with another server shutdown because the last shutdown couldn't even do the thing it was supposed to do right?

Sure would be awesome if everything went smoothly! :D

That sounds incredibly complex. Not to mention that that panel would need to be updated with each patch, as the code for the game changes. And tested. Everything would take that much longer. And there would be that many more opportunities to break the game with any little change.

I get that it would be fantastic to have an "easy button," but it really would require a lot of work.

Wont be a surprise if in future european servers will be emptier than usa servers. No respect or consideration for EU players.. always same lame with patching in prime time, extending etc

Just run double XP/CXP throughout the Summer, or for three straight months leading up the expansion so players and their harem of alts can get fully caught up in gear and level.

+1 one. Also, make JennyF the Empress of Good Ideas :D

Wont be a surprise if in future european servers will be emptier than usa servers. No respect or consideration for EU players.. always same lame with patching in prime time, extending etc

Well, since the people doing the work are in the US... :rolleyes:

This is how it has always been with this game. You can't be outraged at this point... it is expected.