Question about the Eternal Championship Solo Speedrun Challenge

TheThingie

Respectfully Eric, this isn't possible. As I and other have mentioned elsewhere, the current way you have it set up accounts for the loading time, meaning players with slow computers will be disadvantaged.

Furthermore, due to the DPS imbalance between classes, many players will be disadvantaged in that regard, along with players without top-of-the-line 224 ops gear. This cannot be resolved, but changing the way the competition is timed may help.

~ Eudoxia

The DPS imbalance is a pain, but honestly, for a contest like this having minmaxed 224 gear is your responsibility.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I got the achievement on a run in which from starting to zone in until end of combat on the last boss (which is when the achievement pops) it took me 15:17. From start of combat to end of combat was 14:35. I also have a guildmate who had 14:42 from start of combat on boss 1 to end of combat on boss 10 and got the achievement on that run. Use this information (which I have no desire to provide proof of, but perhaps you can scour youtube videos for similar info if you are skeptical) as you will. Just trying to provide a bit of helpful info.

Don't get me wrong, I appreciate the comment... but at the same time, its the internet, innit. it would have been nice, if idk, they'd put a timer on the quest... like they do with the fight start countdowns. Would just make it CRYSTAL clear of when the timer starts and when the timer stops, you know :p

Edited by leehambly

The DPS imbalance is a pain, but honestly, for a contest like this having minmaxed 224 gear is your responsibility.

Personally - I agree. However I don't think that sits very well with the EA/BW/Eric "party line" of: we'd like everyone to have a chance to win. We all know anyone not in 224 min/max has no chance in the competition. To be honest though, its unlikely even with some sort of bolster that anyone NOT in that kind of gear is going to be going too far up the leaderboard... its kinda preaching to the choir territory.

Edited by leehambly

I wasn't aware of any exploit, but there is a particular experience I had during one run on one of my alts that required me to use /stuck. It was the Brawler fight, and the actual Brawler (not the two giants) moved to the side of the arena and got stuck in the wall and became untargetable. When I tried to reposition him, I got stuck in the wall as well. I only used it that one time, and it did NOT affect my game play after that - I still had to speak to the vendor to get the next boss fight moving, etc. I still had to play as normal after in the EC (and I'm pretty sure it was on a character I couldn't get past boss #7 or 8 on...) and there's no chance in hell I'm going to be in the running for this speed run anyway... :)

My point, though is: Bioware, please make sure you investigate all cases and don't paint people with broad strokes.

Edited by damonskye

Why not total the time spent in each fight, from start to finish of combat (or start of combat to death of boss) rather than from terminal click to quest hand in - hey, even entry into the instance is better than a race to the freaking door and laggy load times. Seems to me that this relies heavily on having a top end pc and great internet connection and a class that has phasewalk or similar... and not just for the competition, for the achieve at all.

(

Thank you! My thoughts exactly! I had posted something similar on reddit.

Also, if they wanted to make it completely fair and open to anyone (pveers who haven't gotten full gear yet or only have tank/healing min/maxed sets, pvpers/ returning players/ players who just subbed and jumped in on lvl 60 with their free tokens, you name it) why not add a special bolster, so everyone would get the same exact stats and it would only depend on your role.

Last suggestion, regarding the country restrictions, I understand there could be some complications for the winner of the trip, but why not allow everyone to have a chance to win cartel coins and sub times?

Last suggestion, regarding the country restrictions, I understand there could be some complications for the winner of the trip, but why not allow everyone to have a chance to win cartel coins and sub times?

There are different laws in countries about paid for gaming for benefits of any kind, be it tokens, cash, gifts etc... its just not workable... it's not EA or BW at fault here, they literally can't.

If you find a way to subvert mechanics... a player can use /stuck to subsequently avoid all conversations within the Eternal Championship. Although this is not a game exploit (in that you won't receive ToS action) it is considered an abuse of the contest rules. If you use this, you will be disqualified.

Eric,

My question to this is two fold, what is considered subverting mechanics? Because I can DPS fast enough on some fights or time a hard stun just right on some bosses where they do not have the boss immunity buff and prevent later phases or add spawns from occurring just because of how quickly I kill the boss or time my stuns.

Secondly on to situations like using /stuck. How is that being tracked? Is it situational? For all my clears, for example, I've never used /stuck. But I have messed up an attempt mid fight where I see my time will suck and decided instead of continuing or finishing off the current boss, I just /stuck to end it immediately, go to the terminal and choose to leave early so I can restart my speedrun. Am I at risk of being disqualified even though I didn't use /stuck in the form that is considered against the rules for the competition?

Eric,

My question to this is two fold, what is considered subverting mechanics? Because I can DPS fast enough on some fights or time a hard stun just right on some bosses where they do not have the boss immunity buff and prevent later phases or add spawns from occurring just because of how quickly I kill the boss or time my stuns.

Secondly on to situations like using /stuck. How is that being tracked? Is it situational? For all my clears, for example, I've never used /stuck. But I have messed up an attempt mid fight where I see my time will suck and decided instead of continuing or finishing off the current boss, I just /stuck to end it immediately, go to the terminal and choose to leave early so I can restart my speedrun. Am I at risk of being disqualified even though I didn't use /stuck in the form that is considered against the rules for the competition?

This is why they should have thought this whole thing through more completely. Timing an entire instance, including load times?? :( Just aggregate the fight times, from start to finish, with an on-screen timer... we all know exactly where we stand then. I appreciate EA is new to MMO's, but after 4 years, do we have to go through the baby steps on every new development? C'mon guys, its great content, but these are fundamental flaws.

Abusive or disorderly behavior, including any use of harassing, negative, or profane language online, will not be tolerated and will also constitute grounds for immediate disqualification.
Negative language gets you disqualified? Oh I'm sorry, please wait while I contact your local 'safe space' :rolleyes: Edited by idnewton

Thanks Eric.

I'd like to add that it's distinctly possible that some may have died in the course of their speedrun, or accidentally stumbled on the course of the bug, is there a danger of disqualification if you DO NOT COMPLETE the Eternal Championship after stumbling on one of these aforementioned exploits, but instead exit the competition at whatever point you discover the exploit, then turn in the mission BEFORE KILLING ZOTAR in order to reset the phase?

This contest is pure crap. You can cheat to win. You know people are cheating and they will be the winner. You pretty much failed to introduce a fair contest. Instead of something simple. Complete the run in under 15 minutes and you are entered to win the grand prizes, you did this. Now you are stuck.

You should cancel the contest before you get your company sued in an easy to win class action law suit. The approximate value of the contest x the registered users. That is the ligation you are opening you parent company up to and don't think for a second someone cannot do the math.

I've never seen such a poor contest.

This contest is pure crap. You can cheat to win. You know people are cheating and they will be the winner. You pretty much failed to introduce a fair contest. Instead of something simple. Complete the run in under 15 minutes and you are entered to win the grand prizes, you did this. Now you are stuck.

You should cancel the contest before you get your company sued in an easy to win class action law suit. The approximate value of the contest x the registered users. That is the ligation you are opening you parent company up to and don't think for a second someone cannot do the math.

Can you sue someone over content you do not actually own....Good grief

Don't like the contest, fair enough but seriously......

I'd prefer a contest based on skill rather one based on a raffle. And yes, this contest is based on skill, why do you think a Shadow, one of the worst single target classes right now is winning? He's smarter than the remaining contestants and has figured out something we haven't. Whether or not he'll win is contested, but as of right now he is by far the frontrunner.

I'd prefer a contest based on skill rather one based on a raffle. And yes, this contest is based on skill, why do you think a Shadow, one of the worst single target classes right now is winning? He's smarter than the remaining contestants and has figured out something we haven't. Whether or not he'll win is contested, but as of right now he is by far the frontrunner.

How do you know this, where is this information from? I don't see it published anywhere, link pls??

How do you know this, where is this information from? I don't see it published anywhere, link pls??

This page keeps track of peoples combat times inside the arena http://parsely.io/parser/championship/eternal-championship/all/all/all/live/0/ but to get the total time for the contest you have to include these 2 times to the combat time

1. Time from picking up the solo quest from the terminal to the start of the first boss fight.

2. Time after you have killed the last boss to turn in the quest back to the terminal.

This page keeps track of peoples combat times inside the arena http://parsely.io/parser/championship/eternal-championship/all/all/all/live/0/ but to get the total time for the contest you have to include these 2 times to the combat time

1. Time from picking up the solo quest from the terminal to the start of the first boss fight.

2. Time after you have killed the last boss to turn in the quest back to the terminal.

That page keeps track of those showing their hands too early. Why provide a benchmark for others to beat? And why rest on your laurels when 99% of the competitors aren't shown here. Parses are great, but the competition is decided upon and run by EA/BW, not by parsely. We don't even know if a single one of these is a valid entry.

And oh, that's you... well good luck... hope you didn't transgress any of the rules :p

Edited by leehambly

While this contest is based more on skill than luck, it still highly favors people who have gear more than skill, not to mention companion influence, and legacy abilities and buffs. If you truly wanted a contest based on skill alone, everyone would be placed on a even ground with proper restrictions so everyone is the same. I'm not saying this is the best idea, as I believe part of the MMO aspect is a slight grind, going from that lowly padawan to battle master, but still...can't go "tis all skillz my friend."

One thing that came just into my mind: To win the challenge you probably need a computer with SSD. And it may help to set the graphics settings to minimum, to decrease the time the loading and initialization phases take. It may not make much of a difference but I fully suspect the winner to be ahead by a tenth of a second in the end. That is assuming that all the effect markers are still clearly visible in minimum graphics settings. Edited by Rabenschwinge

That page keeps track of those showing their hands too early. Why provide a benchmark for others to beat? And why rest on your laurels when 99% of the competitors aren't shown here. Parses are great, but the competition is decided upon and run by EA/BW, not by parsely. We don't even know if a single one of these is a valid entry.

And oh, that's you... well good luck... hope you didn't transgress any of the rules :p

I can see your point on this even though I disagree with it and here's why. Showing my hand allows me to retain my integrity during the competition and if someone beats my time it motivates me to do better.

Even if I don't know the total times for the competition I can guarantee you that only another assassin/shadow or sorcerer/sage can match my travel times from the console to the arena and from the arena back to the console.

While this contest is based more on skill than luck, it still highly favors people who have gear more than skill, not to mention companion influence, and legacy abilities and buffs. If you truly wanted a contest based on skill alone, everyone would be placed on a even ground with proper restrictions so everyone is the same. I'm not saying this is the best idea, as I believe part of the MMO aspect is a slight grind, going from that lowly padawan to battle master, but still...can't go "tis all skillz my friend."

I don't believe in 100% equality, it means everything is homogenous. I would not be able to do the times I am doing without my own gear the way it is, IE the stat distributions. I wouldn't want to commit to a contest that doesn't allow me to have the exact amount of alacrity I currently have, and I have zero faith in bioware to give us a bolster that allows for true customizability, because they have failed to do so thus far, and they are so out of touch with the statting in this game it's laughable, I mean look at some of the itemization they are trying to throw down our throats.

I am actually ok with the different capabilites of each class doing the championship. Everybody can find a way to squeeze in more dps here or there over another class and move faster on this boss or that boss. There are some classes that have bigger advantages, but I guess it is what it is.

What i don't agree with is the fact that I must have an SSD computer. Now, to be logical, they SHOULD subtract the load times from each player (if possible), that I believe would be fair. Just take the amount of time it took one to load in, and subtract it, and that'd make it a little more fair and balanced.

Oh, I wish I saw this post earlier. I can delete my other post now because I thought this was a loophole in the rules... since they never really mention the announcer speaking.

Edit:

A new question just popped into my head. How is BW going to determine the people who are using this "exploit?"

When I was doing my speedruns, I did it in the midst of a bunch of attempts. And whenever I screwed up one of my runs, I'd exit the arena, even if it was mid fight), reset the mission and abandon it, reset my phase and then pick up the mission again to restart my timer.

I mean, I recorded my speedrun on video, but I doubt BW cares about that.

Edited by Soul_of_Flames

• 3 months later...
Yeah, this is going to be a leader-board probably comprised purely of watchman sentinels in full 224 gear who are parsing 7.4K, with good computers that can get past the load screens very very quickly.

A lot of classes are disadvantaged here. For example DPS Shadow stands NO CHANCE because it's currently the worst class in the game. People like me who can take up to a minute to load in due to older hardware are guaranteed to loose. People without 224 gear and who don't know the PvE rotation (which means PvP'ers) are going to loose too.

Frankly this whole contest is kind of a bad idea to begin with. Only a handful of classes will be able to win it (Watchman/Combat Sentinel, Tactics Vanguard, the one Gunslinger class).

I mean if you're gonna do this there should be a grand prize to the person who wins, and some raffle prizes because it's going to be unfair to a lot of people who enter it. Assuming you even want to take it seriously, you have a month to roll a sentinel/marauder, get full 224 gear, and learn a perfect PvE rotation in order to compete.

And do all the fights without dying too...

~ Eudoxia

This guy always crying about shadow dps still doing it in gen chat. He just don't know how to play it. I've been in ops with him before on his shadow dps and he looks like a insta 60 new player. I would rather have 4 shadow dps in an op than 4 scoundrel dps in an op. But he just wants his precious shadow to be fotm. People constantly talk about this kid behind his back. I would not waste time reading his nonsense.