Why would anyone want to fight against NPC in 2012?

ntoyzaster

Hello , i just cant figure it out why people bother doing dungeons ,"raids" etc i mean why would anyone prefer to fight against an NPC instead of fighting other players ?it's not because of the story or because of the gameplay mechanics if you wanted any of these you could get a single player game and enjoy it solo or co-op.

I went yesterday to help some guildies because they couldn't find an 8th person to do a dungeon called eternity vault or something , it was the first dungeon(and probably the last) i played in this game , the intro was a BLAST i got really excited especially the part with the drop pods it was epic ,after that it was boredom, from the first 20-30 mins my eyes were bleeding i was bored and sad , sad because i could acknowledge the effort BW put in the dungeons and could only dream what kind of game SWTOR could become if that effort was put in PVP.

It took us 2-3 hours to clear it ,after we were done i was regretting and whining about the wasted evening while my guild mates were excited and were planning to do the same or another one today....

So guys why do you do dungeons, raids etc ? what kind of enjoyment does it give you ?

I know PVP got a lot of issues first and foremost the gear progression it's kinda stupid giving advantage because of the gear while everyone could have around the same gear and have fun but still it's way more fun than PVE.

Thanks for your time , i just had to get this out of my chest.

Please forgive my English i'm not a native speaker.

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Actually, it is because of the stories for me. And if I wanted a PvP game, I'd go for Starcraft 2 or Battlefield 3, not a character and story driven RPG.

also, as the poster above me said, different strokes for different folks.

Edited by archifikoss

Because I prefer strategy and team work? Most PVP matches become free for alls where everyone is just running around killing what they can until the timer runs out. Flashpoints require team work, setup and finally execution to get through them. That type gameplay more suits my play style rather than the PVP free for all.

I feel quite the opposite.

PvP is repetitive. You fight other players and....what? Get better gear to fight the other players some more? The tactics are ad nuaseum because you are always facing the same enemy classes. You do get much better at "twitch" gaming. And if that's your gig then PvP is for you.

PvE, especially instances, has fun story and great set-piece battles. There can be enemy encounters that require you to solve tactical problems, do puzzle work, or simply enjoy the view. It's the good bits of KOTOR with the added benefit that I can play it with 3-7 of my friends.

Hello , i just cant figure it out why people bother doing dungeons ,"raids" etc i mean why would anyone prefer to fight against an NPC instead of fighting other players ?it's not because of the story or because of the gameplay mechanics if you wanted any of these you could get a single player game and enjoy it solo or co-op.

I went yesterday to help some guildies because they couldn't find an 8th person to do a dungeon called eternity vault or something , it was the first dungeon(and probably the last) i played in this game , the intro was a BLAST i got really excited especially the part with the drop pods it was epic ,after that it was boredom, from the first 20-30 mins my eyes were bleeding i was bored and sad , sad because i could acknowledge the effort BW put in the dungeons and could only dream what kind of game SWTOR could become if that effort was put in PVP.

It took us 2-3 hours to clear it ,after we were done i was regretting and whining about the wasted evening while my guild mates were excited and were planning to do the same or another one today....

So guys why do you do dungeons, raids etc ? what kind of enjoyment does it give you ?

I know PVP got a lot of issues first and foremost the gear progression it's kinda stupid giving advantage because of the gear while everyone could have around the same gear and have fun but still it's way more fun than PVE.

The thing i like most about PvE is when u kill that boss have whipe on for a long time.

If only they made games specifically designed for player vs player combat...Naaaah...that's crazy talk!

PvP is pretty shallow for me since there is really one one facet to it, kill the other players. Sure, you have strategy and if you have a good group of friends who can come with you, it can be fun. But, there is no story and the environments/world is the same time and time again. In PvE, you can still group up with friends but you are undertaking a big adventure with changing planets and amazing alien races. It's just more exciting and new for me.

Don't get me wrong through, I'll be doing some PvP, but it's an afterthought to a great story and adventure.

Hello, I just cant figure it out why people bother fighting other players I mean why would anyone prefer to fight against other players instead doing dungeons ,"raids" etc ?

It took us 2-3 hours to clear it ,after we were done i was regretting and whining about the wasted evening while my guild mates were excited and were planning to do the same or another one today...

Hmmm... if this is true, my friend, somehow I doubt you need to worry about being required to do too many more dungeons and raids with your Guildmates ;)

I feel quite the opposite.

PvP is repetitive. You fight other players and....what? Get better gear to fight the other players some more? The tactics are ad nuaseum because you are always facing the same enemy classes. You do get much better at "twitch" gaming. And if that's your gig then PvP is for you.

PvE, especially instances, has fun story and great set-piece battles. There can be enemy encounters that require you to solve tactical problems, do puzzle work, or simply enjoy the view. It's the good bits of KOTOR with the added benefit that I can play it with 3-7 of my friends.

All PvE encounters are scripted. A boss will use certain abilites in certain ways, and the first encounters it feels new and refreshing. However after you have done the instance 10 times tactics are in the fingers and you do it on routine. It's no longer about exploring or being told a story but you are doing it to get the items you need for your PvE gear. In WoW I did Karazhan with my guild probably 50 times. The first times it was fun, but at the end it became a routine that you did simply to get the last item you wanted. I'm not saying PvE is boring because I do enjoy that also, but I find more fun in PvP simply because you never have a fuarantuee that you will meet the same players each fight. So each fight can feel slightly different and you also have the feeling of competetion. You fight the same classes, but different player plays the same classes different and that way you will be able to experience different fights.

A good mix of both PvE and PvP is to be had as it gives different fun things to do. Both PvE and PvP can be equally repetetive and it will be if you do them in and out for months. The only advantage PvP has at that point is that it can be different because you can meet other players then the ones you fought last game.

Because PVP usually does not really appeal to me. Often has less depth, has less variety and feels like a pointless treadmill to me. I do PVP in whatever version of battleground there is for some quest or daily, but it's not I am having fun with it. The only real PVP you can have is in sandbox games in my opinion.

I don't PvP because of PvPers.

While I do pvp, I have to admit that the biggest reason I would choose not to is the attitude of certain PVPers.

Second reason is because I consider MMO PvP to never be really good quality because of online latency involved. I may do it for fun, not for competitiveness.

Also, I play PvE because of immersion and the stories Bioware has given us. Thats the main reason why Im playing TOR in the first place. Also because of the incremental improvement of my character. If I want to play against other players for serious, I would do it offline.

Edited by Karkais

Why spend all those hours PvEing in a RPG if all you care about is PvP, when you can just PvP right out of the box in multitude of FPSs online for free?

Probably because FPS's at competative levels require far higher reflexes, teamwork, multitasking and strategy than MMO PvP thb.

I went to a party yesterday, and they served cake. Now I'm a pie man, but hey, I'll try it. The cake smelled great coming out of the oven and I got real excited, but after eating I found it a bit dry and not really fulfulling my need for refreshment. I can't understand why people like still cake in 2012 when pie is obviously so much tastier and more varied...