Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

R-4 Boss: IP-CPT Feedback Thread

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Public Test Server
R-4 Boss: IP-CPT Feedback Thread
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

JackieKo
03.02.2022 , 12:51 PM | #1 This is the last staff post in this thread.  
Please feel free to answer as many questions as you like.

Background:
  • How often do you participate in Operations and on what difficulty?
  • What role did you play on PTS?
  • What difficulty did you test on PTS?
  • What are your overall impressions of IP-CPT?
  • What are your top three suggestions for improving this encounter?
  • How did the difficulty feel relative to other bosses on this difficulty?
  • Were you and your team able to defeat the boss on Story or Veteran difficulty?
  • If you were unable to defeat the boss, what gave your team the most trouble?
  • Did the length of the fight feel appropriate?
  • It would be very helpful if video of your encounter with the boss could be provided.
Damage and Health
  • Were there any enemies or abilities that seemed to deal far too much damage?
  • Were there any abilities that seemed too trivial or ignorable?
  • Were adds consistently surviving into the hazards phase throughout the fight or only towards the end?
  • Did the health of the adds during the bomb phases seem appropriate?
Mechanics
  • Did you feel the need to spread out for Positional Adjustment Grenades to avoid raid damage?
  • Were you able to avoid most of the floor and wall beam hazards after some practice?
  • Did your team tank the Enforcers separately or stack them?
  • Did you feel the need to tank swap the Enforcers on Veteran?
  • Was your team able to disarm the bombs in time? Did you feel the need to?
Roles
  • If you played as a tank, did managing the Enforcers require the use of defensive cooldowns?
  • If you played as a healer, did you feel like the fight required enough healing output?
  • If you played as a melee DPS, did you feel like you were able to achieve acceptable damage uptime?
Jackie | Community Manager
Follow us on Twitter @SWTOR | Like us on Facebook
[Contact Us] [Rules of Conduct] [F.A.Q.]

OasisKid
03.02.2022 , 05:00 PM | #2
I was healing the first boss in a PUG run. Pick up Group. I can say the first boss seems to be well rather challenging for a group that does not know each other etc. We were able to figure out some of the mechanics and finally cleared it but my one other critique is near the end of the fight it's really uneventful. If you could maybe add something for the last 20 percent of the boss fight.
Kytera

GM of <Not Another Meme>

storm_maker
03.02.2022 , 05:10 PM | #3
I participate in a couple of ops per week, mainly on SM and HM difficulties. Most of them are ops from 3.0 or earlier (So no Gods or Dxun). On PTS I played a concealment DPS operative and tested SM. I think it's also worth noting that all players were geared in 330 from the pier vendor, with several being augmented as well.

I'm not sure if it was intended but at about 70-60% HP, all adds, bombs, turrets, wall lasers, and fire tiles stopped spawning. Then the boss continued to fire lasers and repeated a 45-second cast until we downed it. At the start of the encounter, it felt chaotic but enjoyable, though for SM it felt like a lot was being thrown all at once. This may prove overwhelming to any players who may be new to ops and diving in for the first time.

Difficulty-wise, it felt more mechanically harder than other ops bosses. But pretty similar to similar Lord Kanoth specifically. The group I joined was able to down it in one go, without voice-chat on SM. However, there were several deaths and we relied on multiple battle rezes to revive players.

Damage-wise, the encounter felt good. Nothing super low or super high, the worst was the bomb detonations. Which the healers were able to manage. Adds and the environmental hazards (fire tiles and laser I assume) were constantly mixed together.

Our group spread out for the grenades, and I was personally able to avoid most of the fire tiles and wall lasers with the operative roll. I'm not sure about tanking the droids, however, but I believe we had them separate. As for the bombs, I don't think we ever got that mechanic down. We always healed through it.

As a mDPS, I felt like I was more focused on adds or moving out of the way than burning the boss. At least until we encountered the repeated 45-second cast.

metwars
03.02.2022 , 09:40 PM | #4
I am a marauder and I have recently beaten this boss with 330 gear on SM. on the live servers I usually do a lot of vets and SM ops.

To start off with, this fight was really fun. I love the idea of having to pay attention to my surroundings and being constantly on the move to avoid damage. Doesn't really make the fight feel stale, and it was surprising how challenging it actually felt, especially for SM. There is just a couple things I would like to see tweak.

First off disarming the bombs. While I did eventually figure out how the mechanic worked it did feel really weird at first because there really was no visual feedback that the panel I was clicking was actually doing anything to the bombs. It took me far too long to realize that when we hit the panel with matching color, it changes to a different one. Mind you, the game was muted for me because my computers sound was broken, so if there was a audio cue, I could not hear it. Also wasn't sure if once you bring down the shields on all bombs if they just disarm right away, or if you had to dps them down to stop them from exploding. In the end, we kinda ignored the bombs and just focused on the adds.

As for the difficulty in SM, I do think it can be toned down just a bit. Our whole raid group was in 330 and it took a long time to get down some of the adds and the boss. I might understand that if I was in vet, but in SM the health should be a bit lower. I also think the amount of aoe effects going out my be a bit too much for SM at the moment. Might be a bit too much for the more casual player, so my suggestion would be that if you can, trying making it so not as many lasers and floor panels go off at once, and for the gernades, maybe not have the huge red aoe show up in SM. Also for SM mode, maybe have it so one enforcer spawns instead of two. Everything else felt really good.

Overall this is a really good opening to this op and I cannot wait to try out the other bosses!!

SPrime
03.03.2022 , 01:09 AM | #5
Background:
How often do you participate in Operations and on what difficulty?
4-5 times a week mostly Nightmare

What role did you play on PTS?
Healer, Scoundrel

What difficulty did you test on PTS?
SM

What are your overall impressions of IP-CPT?
Was fun and challenging.

What are your top three suggestions for improving this encounter?
Floor vents could be more visible.
Unsure if it was a burn phase at the end, but it started around 60% and the mechanics stopped, keep the floor vents going.
Longer time to react to the floor vents

How did the difficulty feel relative to other bosses on this difficulty?
Significantly more difficult

Were you and your team able to defeat the boss on Story or Veteran difficulty?
Yes on story, did not attempt veteran

If you were unable to defeat the boss, what gave your team the most trouble?

Did the length of the fight feel appropriate?
No, the fight felt long, since at the front there was all these mechanics to do, then around 60% they all stopped and pretty much just needed to burn the boss, the final burn took 5-6 minutes as I recall.

It would be very helpful if video of your encounter with the boss could be provided.
https://www.twitch.tv/videos/1413783228

Damage and Health
Were there any enemies or abilities that seemed to deal far too much damage?
No

Were there any abilities that seemed too trivial or ignorable?
No

Were adds consistently surviving into the hazards phase throughout the fight or only towards the end?
No

Did the health of the adds during the bomb phases seem appropriate?
Yes

Mechanics
Did you feel the need to spread out for Positional Adjustment Grenades to avoid raid damage?
The grenade damage were not significant enough, that it required positional adjustments.

Were you able to avoid most of the floor and wall beam hazards after some practice?
Yes

Did your team tank the Enforcers separately or stack them?
Stacked

Did you feel the need to tank swap the Enforcers on Veteran?

Was your team able to disarm the bombs in time? Did you feel the need to?
Yes, unsure

Roles
If you played as a tank, did managing the Enforcers require the use of defensive cooldowns?
If you played as a healer, did you feel like the fight required enough healing output?
I completed the fight in 318 on SM as noted by the post by Jackie, I felt myself and the other healer were able to keep up.

If you played as a melee DPS, did you feel like you were able to achieve acceptable damage uptime?

samukanu
03.03.2022 , 07:27 PM | #6
Hi,
today we encountered the first boss of the R-4 Anomaly Operation in veteran difficulty. We did manage to kill it and I will link a PoV of the kill below.

As for the boss itself, the fire panels are quite nice and they swap at a decent speed. The shields-phase in which you have to deactivate the shields by clicking the consoles with the matching symbols didn't make much sense to me though, atleast when it comes to the late ones.
You can easily manage to get the double shields down and kill the turrets. When it comes to the tripple shields though, it becomes insanely tight. Communicating the symbols takes way too much time which is why we had 4 people camping on one of the consoles and just spamming it. Since there is no punish-mechanic for clicking the wrong symbols, you can simply spam all 4 at the same time to get rid of all the shields as fast as possible (which you have to do since the time is getting way too close for the triple ones).
So we basically ignored the symbols and just spammed all consoles.

If you want people to communicate the symbols the timespan of 30 seconds it definitely too close it there are more than 2 shields at the same time. Being able to click all 4 consoles no matter which symbols are currently active allows us to fully ignore them.

After the triple shields phase the boss didn't really do anything anymore so we simply burned the boss until it was dead while dodging a few voids. It felt quite empty in the second half of the fight.

Heal PoV - https://youtu.be/p2m3Ys7_7EI

xxxSalisxxx
03.04.2022 , 03:28 AM | #7
Hi,
yesterday we found different bugs in R4-anomalie pts.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-CMle0jv8VI&t=2s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VDI1jO2eQ94

metwars
03.04.2022 , 03:09 PM | #8
So I did it again on SM with the new patch, again with a group with full 330 gear on. So with the new patch the bombs damage was increased so that meant we couldn't ignore it which is great. now having said that, I think there is way too much damage going out for SM. for being in 330 gear, we are dying way too much. the lasers and floor pits do so much damage that the healers can't keep up. Most people will not be doing this in 330 gear so it will probably be much harder for them. I also think that the cast times for the bombs is a bit too tight. if you can make it last a bit longer that would be perfect.

one other suggestion to make this fight better on SM is maybe have the floor pits wait a couple more seconds before they activate. Sometimes it feels like I have no time at all to move before it activates. maybe also make some of the red circles you get from grenades a bit smaller on SM, so people don't have to worry about spreading out as much.

Not really sure if the length of the fight felt good since we couldn't get past first bomb phase that often.

Overall I still really enjoy this fight, and think its a great opener for the ops, I just think that in its current form on SM, it is too over tuned. lowering the damgae going out to players and maybe lowering the health more on some of the adds and dps will make it better.

edit: So another thing to add after watching so footage of someone else do it on twitch. i think this op fight might be great if it was more of a survival focus that it was a huge dps check. I like the idea of having to go through 2 phases of bombs before the boss goes into burn mode to kill everyone. problem is that I have seen some pulss of people in 330 get to that phase around 50%, and dying at 41%. if boss had lower health, that survival feeling of a fight could really work.

FlameYOL
03.04.2022 , 03:32 PM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by metwars View Post
So I did it again on SM with the new patch, again with a group with full 330 gear on. So with the new patch the bombs damage was increased so that meant we couldn't ignore it which is great. now having said that, I think there is way too much damage going out for SM. for being in 330 gear, we are dying way too much. the lasers and floor pits do so much damage that the healers can't keep up. Most people will not be doing this in 330 gear so it will probably be much harder for them. I also think that the cast times for the bombs is a bit too tight. if you can make it last a bit longer that would be perfect.

one other suggestion to make this fight better on SM is maybe have the floor pits wait a couple more seconds before they activate. Sometimes it feels like I have no time at all to move before it activates. maybe also make some of the red circles you get from grenades a bit smaller on SM, so people don't have to worry about spreading out as much.

Not really sure if the length of the fight felt good since we couldn't get past first bomb phase that often.

Overall I still really enjoy this fight, and think its a great opener for the ops, I just think that in its current form on SM, it is too over tuned. lowering the damgae going out to players and maybe lowering the health more on some of the adds and dps will make it better.

edit: So another thing to add after watching so footage of someone else do it on twitch. i think this op fight might be great if it was more of a survival focus that it was a huge dps check. I like the idea of having to go through 2 phases of bombs before the boss goes into burn mode to kill everyone. problem is that I have seen some pulss of people in 330 get to that phase around 50%, and dying at 41%. if boss had lower health, that survival feeling of a fight could really work.
I agree with this post.
A man can have anything...If he's willing to sacrifice everything

TheRandomno
03.04.2022 , 05:22 PM | #10
Tried with 5 DPS in SM and the boss exploded at 16%