Display Name for login is a BAD IDEA.

Sendai_S

[sarcasm] Thanks so much for telling everyone out there what my login name is. [/sarcasm]

That's what your new "secure" system is doing. It's (already) dropping the extra layer of security of me having never told anyone what my email address was. Now all they gotta do is look at my Forum name and boom - they have my login name.

[sarcasm] Brilliant! [/sarcasm]

So stop this before you start it. If you want to get away from our emails then make it so we have an alias login option. Display name is for forums. Email is for whatever. Login name should be unique and unsharable. If this is some bullcrap thing that EA is forcing you to do for Origin reasons, then it's evern worse that they don't consider the actual security of their customers. Because as of right now - anyone who has ever posted on the forums is now MORE vulnerable to hacked account attempts.

PLEASE give us a new option in the account settings to make a unique LOGIN NAME. You don't wanna use our emails for some reason... (for the record no one in the game ever knew my email address that I used to login...) so you instead pick our display names? What kind of crazy mixed up back woods logic is that?

Stop it. Go back to the email login only for now and come up with a new plan that keeps everyone from using our forum names to try hacking our accounts.

darling, in case you never noticed, the option to log in with your display name has been there since day 1.

This was not well known then. But it's still a bad move. The login name should absolutely be a name that is unique and not displayed for all the world to see. That's security 101.

And thnks for the link to the other thread.

This was not well known then. But it's still a bad move. The login name should absolutely be a name that is unique and not displayed for all the world to see. That's security 101.

And thnks for the link to the other thread.

Security 101 would also tell you that your login name is the least secure item there is.. Some wear them around their necks as ID cards as well.. See just about every major corporation in existence.. See Microsoft, See Boeing, See Nintendo, See Motorola, See Amazon, See Starbucks, See the University of Washington, and many more..

Some companies even use the same format to create logins.. Lastname and 1 or 2 letters of first name.. Not all use the same format obviously.. But your login was never intended to be secure..

The part you are missing is that your login name doesn't help someone change your password.. Your email does.. So what would you rather a key logger send to a hacker?? Your login name which is meaningless, or your email which can be an entrance to stealing your account??

Again, read the link posted above..

Edited by MajikMyst

OP: You have no idea what you are talking about. Read the LENGTHY replies from the security team. Login has nothing to do with security in the IT world really... you are freaking out about something you know little about and it is only one piece of a very large security puzzle.