Can't login after latest patch

FITSUKSWTOR

I got that error prompt as well, after the latest update - this is what worked for me:

Assuming if you don't have any Steam games on your computer:

1 - Download Notepad++, or if you have Notepad++, ensure you can either insert an ASCII null character using the ASCII Insertion Panel (or Character Panel), or have the "Base64 Decode" MIME tools (under Plugins menu).

2 - Navigate to the directory where your "swtor.exe" file is residing. This is important as the file "steam_appid.txt" must be in the same location as your "swtor.exe" file. For me, it's located under "...\swtor\retailclient\".

3 - Create a text file and name it "steam_appid.txt"

4 - Open that newly created "steam_appid.txt" with Notepad++.

5 - On the first line, enter whatever SteamID number, doesn't really matter. I used the ID 2319 as it corresponds to Star Wars - Complete Collection on Steam. Press Enter and go to the second line.

6 - On the second line, you have to insert an ASCII null character. You can either do that using the Character Panel (which is easier), or if you don't (like me), type "AA==" without the "" quotes. Highlight the whole text, and select "Base64 Decode" from "MIME Tools" under the Plugins menu. If you do it correctly, you should get a black highlighted NUL special character on your second line. This special NUL character is important - without it your will get the same fatal error message again.

7 - Save the file.

8 - Launch the game and you should now be able to get in.

If you have a Steam game on your computer, simply copy the "steam_appid.txt" file from its directory to the folder where your "swtor.exe" resides (see Step 2). Don't bother changing the SteamID in the file, since it wouldn't matter for SWTOR - plus you will risk deleting the NUL character while trying to change the SteamID number.

Edited by MauveineAngel
Added alternative easier method for others who have Steam games.

Hmm... that's strange. It looks like your file was created successfully then. The other possibility I can think of is the location as to where you place the "steam_appid.txt" file in.

Did you place it in the directory where the executable "swtor.exe" is - and not where "launcher.exe" is?

Using mine as an example - game is installed to D:\GAMES\SWTOR\

D:\GAMES\SWTOR\ << this is where my "launcher.exe" file is. Don't put "steam_appid.txt" into this folder.

D:\GAMES\SWTOR\swtor\retailclient\ << this is where my "swtor.exe" is located. Put the "steam_appid.txt" into this folder.

All correct, i've puted file to folder where swtor.exe (...swtor/retailclient/). Really this is all very strange, seems like only we got this kind of issue. Other options (like non-streaming client) doesn't work too. Will try to reinstall windows (7 x64) fully cause really don't know what the hell is going on with this patch... Anyway, thanks for your attention, mate!

Hmm... that's strange. It looks like your file was created successfully then. The other possibility I can think of is the location as to where you place the "steam_appid.txt" file in.

Did you place it in the directory where the executable "swtor.exe" is - and not where "launcher.exe" is?

Using mine as an example - game is installed to D:\GAMES\SWTOR\

D:\GAMES\SWTOR\ << this is where my "launcher.exe" file is. Don't put "steam_appid.txt" into this folder.

D:\GAMES\SWTOR\swtor\retailclient\ << this is where my "swtor.exe" is located. Put the "steam_appid.txt" into this folder.

I installed Steam last night (this is a new computer so I'm still slowly getting everything I want on it) but SWTOR was not purchased through steam and I've never run it through Steam before. Would I still need to do this? Is it something about Steam that conflicts with the launcher even if it's not installed through Steam? Or is this only for people who bought the game through Steam.

Sorry for the late follow-up all! And sorry to hear that the method I've used didn't work for you guys.

All correct, i've puted file to folder where swtor.exe (...swtor/retailclient/). Really this is all very strange, seems like only we got this kind of issue. Other options (like non-streaming client) doesn't work too. Will try to reinstall windows (7 x64) fully cause really don't know what the hell is going on with this patch... Anyway, thanks for your attention, mate!

Yeah, that happened to me as well - before I tried creating the txt file, I uninstalled SWTOR and re-installed it using SSN (non BitRaider) mode. Failed. That was when I tried copying the "steam_appid.txt" from another computer worked. Just to make sure it wasn't anything special about an ordinary text file, I deleted that file and re-created it using Notepad++, and it just so happen to work for my case.

I installed Steam last night (this is a new computer so I'm still slowly getting everything I want on it) but SWTOR was not purchased through steam and I've never run it through Steam before. Would I still need to do this? Is it something about Steam that conflicts with the launcher even if it's not installed through Steam? Or is this only for people who bought the game through Steam.

Hey Bale, I think the problem is more likely to originate from the SWTOR launcher, rather than Steam - but I can't be entirely certain. Weird thing is, the launcher log files show as if everything went normally, no error indication. Some argument must have been missing that causes "swtor.exe" to look for that "steam_appid.txt" file (when it shouldn't), and then crashes when it couldn't find it.

I didn't buy the game through Steam at all - I downloaded the installer from SWTOR and installed from it. So it was really weird when that error hit me. To answer your question though, I don't believe you need Steam to be installed in your computer, 'cos I didn't have Steam on the computer that SWTOR is on. That "steam_appid.txt" was copied from another computer.

Hi Guys,

You are not alone.

I am having the same issue.

tried the above fix but it did not work

I think it'll be best for those who have been affected by this issue, and if neither creating the "steam_appid.txt" nor copying this file from another Steam-related game solve the problem... to send in a ticket to EA. I'd dare say this is definitely a bug with SWTOR and it should (hopefully) be resolved in the next patch.

If anyone else discover another solution please feel free to share. In the meantime I'll try to report this bug as well, and hopefully get their attention.

Edited by MauveineAngel
Added some closing notes.

Seems that I was a bit premature in saying that the issue had resolved itself.

after failing to log in, I could not not so I left it and tried again the following day and lo and behold it logged in..

so I played for a bit and then logged off. which is when I left the note saying that it had been resolved.

but when I tried to log in a day later, wouldn't you know it, Murphy screwed with me and I have not been able to log in since.

I have logged a ticket with support who have given me 2 different suggestions to try.

1, delete and reinstall bitraider

2 switch from bitraider to SSN (this practically reinstalled the whole damn game)

3. MauveineAngel's fix using Notepad++

none of these have helped.

MauveineAngel, thank you for the suggestion but I guess Murphy just does not like me.

So now I wait and see what support suggests next.

Hi Guys,

To any of you that are still experiencing this issue, I have a possible solution thanks to SWTOR support.

after trying the solutions mentioned in my previous post as well as fully reinstalling the game without success,

I received another email from support wherein they informed my that after some digging and research they had determined that the problem was an issue with a DLL file, and suggested that I create a new windows user profile to correct the problem.

It just so happens that the windows profile I had been using was a bit glitchy but as the glitches were relatively minor and did not really bother me I did not think anything of it.

coincidently, I had recently taken my mother's laptop in for repairs and I happened to mention the glitches the technician and he suggested creating a new user profile with admin privileges.

Long story short, this is exactly what I did and lo and behold when I tried to log in I was met with SUCCESS. YIPPEE.

So maybe this approach will work for you as well.

So far it seems to be working. if this changes, I will let you know

Hi Guys,

To any of you that are still experiencing this issue, I have a possible solution thanks to SWTOR support.

after trying the solutions mentioned in my previous post as well as fully reinstalling the game without success,

I received another email from support wherein they informed my that after some digging and research they had determined that the problem was an issue with a DLL file, and suggested that I create a new windows user profile to correct the problem.

It just so happens that the windows profile I had been using was a bit glitchy but as the glitches were relatively minor and did not really bother me I did not think anything of it.

coincidently, I had recently taken my mother's laptop in for repairs and I happened to mention the glitches the technician and he suggested creating a new user profile with admin privileges.

Long story short, this is exactly what I did and lo and behold when I tried to log in I was met with SUCCESS. YIPPEE.

So maybe this approach will work for you as well.

So far it seems to be working. if this changes, I will let you know

That's brilliant, thanks for letting us know, and posting th solution, hopefully aanyone else with the same issue, sees this, and can resolve it :)

• 4 months later...

I had the same problem,but I fixed it.

open the file explorer and on the my computer panel write in the search: ''steam_appid'' .

When the searching is done, then follow the locations to the files, and delet the games that have the file, then

in the swtor launcher ,after login go to the setting and repair the game.

Edited by gcsiszr