No Interfactional Emails

Geeluc

They're imperials that I managed to bring over to the republic faction, Much like the other imperials that I want to send mail to.

That seems quite valid to me.

Nope. My smuggler doesn't hate imperials, he hates skavak. He could care less of about imperials or republic.

same goes for my bounty hunter.

My consular doesn't hate the site. He's quite willing to try and talk them over to our side.

Ok well the middle point entirely missed the fact that I said it shouldnt apply to smugglers or bounty hunters... Are you just arguing for the sake of it?

As for the rest of your points - all of that interaction took place in person. You didnt send them informative pamphets explaining to them the error of their ways, you did it while you were with them. You then got mail from them afterwards.

Edited by Maidel

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok well the middle point entirely missed the fact that I said it doesnt apply to smugglers or bounty hunters... Are you just arguing for the sake of it?
No, I can't send mail to the other side as a smuggler or bounty hunter... so that rule does appy to them.

As for the rest of your points - all of that interaction took place in person. You didnt send them informative pamphets explaining to them the error of their ways, you did it while you were with them. You then got mail from them afterwards.
So?

There's nothing wrong with communicating with the other side... whether that's in person, via Holo, or through the mail.

your point was

The game says both sides are enemies, thus you can't communicate with the enemy.

That's just plainly false. We can communicate with enemies in a number of ways. The idea that mail should somehow be different than all of the other forms of communication that we have is ludicrous.

We can't send mail to the other faction because that's what wow did... there isn't really any reason to it.

Edited by ferroz

No, I can't send mail to the other side as a smuggler or bounty hunter... so that rule does appy to them.

So?

There's nothing wrong with communicating with the other side... whether that's in person, via Holo, or through the mail.

For goodness sake please read my posts.

I have said since the game launched having smugglers and bounty hunters fixed to a faction doesn't make any sense. I AGREE WITH YOU. They should be able to mail or work with whoever the hell they want. I know they CAN'T but I keep saying they specifically should be able to.

The other 6 classes are entirely valid for not being able to communicate. You didn't get yoda sending messages to Darth sideous (yes I know he met him all the time but he didn't know that.) Luke didn't send emails to vader wishing him happy birthday. The allied soldiers didn't send telegrams to the German soldiers in ww2 either for that matter.

I think I could in rift, though I don't remember for sure; I know it had cross faction shouts.

No, you can /say to the enemy in Rift, you cannot mail to the enemy in Rift

I can send boa stuff cross faction to my alts in wow.

Special corner case, to address BoA items.

The point is, it is NOT generally accepted practice to be able to mail cross faction in MMOs.

You can move money and items across faction through a cross faction merchant house in some MMOs (ie: neutral AH in WoW, and Hutt GTN on Nar Shadda in this game).

Best vodka in the world :)

Typing from my iPad in bed and having the letter I next to the letter O, will create the word of instead of the word if.

Not quite the best broken English, but if you want to bestowe that title on my post, thanks :)

You should see my messages from a BlackBerry at the bar.

"I R OMW GEt Drunk me up!"

The other 6 classes are entirely valid for not being able to communicate.
Yes I do. My consular has plenty of reason to talk to my light side sith warrior, and vice versa.

Or even a dark side one if i can strike up a conversation rather than just threats. Diplomacy is kind of one of my things.

Or my Knight or Trooper to my bounty hunter: maybe I want to hire him to kill a particular imperial admiral, and I'm willing to pay with some gear or mods or such. The bounty hunter isn't going to tell me that someone already hired him... he's just going to take my money and get paid twice.

You didn't get yoda sending messages to Darth sideous (yes I know he met him all the time but he didn't know that.) Luke didn't send emails to vader wishing him happy birthday. The allied soldiers didn't send telegrams to the German soldiers in ww2 either for that matter.
So?

Just because those particular individuals didn't have a reason doesn't mean that noone ever would have a reason.

I'll repeat this, since I edited it in as you were posting: your point was

The game says both sides are enemies, thus you can't communicate with the enemy.

That's just plainly false. We can communicate with enemies in a number of ways. The idea that mail should somehow be different than all of the other forms of communication that we have is ludicrous.

We can't send mail to the other faction because that's what wow did... there isn't really any reason to it.

Edited by ferroz

Yes I do. My consular has plenty of reason to talk to my light side sith warrior, and vice versa.

Or even a dark side one if i can strike up a conversation rather than just threats. Diplomacy is kind of one of my things.

Or my Knight or Trooper to my bounty hunter: maybe I want to hire him to kill a particular imperial admiral, and I'm willing to pay with some gear or mods or such. The bounty hunter isn't going to tell me that someone already hired him... he's just going to take my money and get paid twice.

So?

Just because those particular individuals didn't have a reason doesn't mean that noone ever would have a reason.

I'll repeat this, since I edited it in as you were posting: your point was

Sorry? We can communicate with the enemy how?

We can talk to them face to face and enemy npcs can call us to gloat plot points at us.

We cannot send items to the enemy, we cannot remotely contact the enemy, in fact we cannot communicate with the enemy in any way accept while in punching distance or occasionally while we have the plot fed to us via holo for dramatic purposes.

I'm all for them.

For those that say it breaks their immersion (I say 'their' because it doesn't break my immersion, i find that saying to be an excuse for a lack of imagination.) simply don't use it.

I'm hoping it either gets added or we get some sort of cross faction legacy bank.

I live in a world with a holo-communicator on my ship, and one I my person I cant find but use from time to time. However, the communication system running these seem to be synchronous only as I cant receive messages on them.

I'm guessing the reason I cant receive mail on my ship, or send, is because big brother is concerned I may hack it to communicate with the Republic.

Oh yes, keep prohibit inter-faction mail so Gold Sellers can make their credits through Nar Shaadaa in the name of Demand and Supply.

In fact, when I started playing on the Imperial side, I suddenly realize why the Reps always lose in Warzone in our servers. There are a lot more populations in the Imperial side and a lot of players spending time crafting as well. Frequently I can hardly find any good gears in the Reps GTN, and even if I manage to find one, they are usually very expensive. On the contrary, I can find good gear on the Imperial GTN pretty easily with half the price of that on the Reps GTN. If players can get good gear easily with half price, I am sure that they can do much better in Wazone if you assume they have the same skill.

Enabling inter-faction mail would provide some sort of solution to faction balance.

As for the GTN in Nar Shaadaa, maybe they should simply be replaced with one Reps-only GTN and one Imps-Only GTN so player can access them in Nar Shaadaa while leveling, without having to travel all the way back to their fleets to access the GTN. A neutral GTN that hardly anyone is using, except for personal inter-faction trade or gold-sellers business does not make sense. Why are they trying to create something that fails badly in WoW? Don't they know that no one bother to use the neutral AH in WoW?

Edited by Hologramx

Goodness, 7 pages, I had no idea.

Just to throw in, I do think that BW made a mistake 'bounding' you to either Empire or Rebel. As a few have said, being a smuggler or BH is about money, not 'sides' (well, in most cases), they will take money for whoever is paying the most, they don't care if it's Rebs or Emps. 'If you got the creds, I'll take your side for now'...tomorrow, might be the other side.

And history is littered with stories of enemies being friends on opposing forces. If I have a 'family member' of my legacy, why can't he communicate with other family members? If people want to RP and say that Rebs should never communicate with Emps, fine, let them. For me, family is family, doesn't matter what sides they are on.

In fact, the Emp I made is bringing down the Empire form the inside! ;)

Sooooo...what other MMO have you played where you could do this???????

Star trek online, to answer your question, just not money or bound items, thier Gtn though is the same through out the whole game, so you don't need to go to a different location to do the gtn money transfers

Edited by L_Starbreeze

I truly have no idea how being able to send an email to the other faction breaks immersion? seriously do you know what you are talking about?

As of now its possible to get items and credits to the other side, its an annoying pain in the *** to do so is all. In the grand history of games anything that has been an annoying pain in the *** (not including some players) has either been fixed or resulted in people leaving.

If 'immersion' was key (clearly it isn't, look around you) then you would not be allowed to roll mixed faction on a single server, after that its degree's of convenience and nothing more.

Being able to mail an alt in your own account is really the simplest fix to this

It's not a matter of taking the game too seriously, rather actually playing the game.

legacy system disagrees with you.

the fact remains, there is full trading functionality between characters on the same account of different factions already in the game. Players just have to go through the trouble putting their items up on the neutral GTN.

you can easily park one alt on each side there to conduct business though so anyone who has not done that already - just park two lowbie alts in Nar Shadda and do all business through them. Still direct emails would be more convenient.

Edited by mufutiz

Because the penalty for traitors is execution.

Seriously though, why would you like to openly conspire with the enemy?

buddy I'm sooo not telling you what happens when you play a sith warrior light-sided :rolleyes:

I have to ask, does me mailing my Pub alts affect anyone elses immersion?

If anything these artitcial restraints force you to think in 'gamist' terms either because of the unrealism or in an effort circumvent them and that detracts from my immersion. Cormey had it right up above me.

Considering that huttball is often played against same faction and I have yet to get a whisper or mail from someone abusing the ability to communicate, I think the whole misanthropic smack talk excuse is a little thin.

Edited by Aram_Darksun

Yeah, this strict distinction between the 2 factions is all too WOW like.

I have toons on both sides to see both sides of gameplay. It's a shame they are so separated from each other.

In SWG you could even switch faction if you wanted and it improved the game in a big way.

legacy system disagrees with you

someone has already given that exact response to that exact post.

I'll say it again. The legacy system does not do anything of the sort. It allows our characters to be linked in many ways (apparently) this does NOT mean that the sith lord whoes brother is a jedi master are best buddies who meet up for drinks on a Wednesday night!

Ironically you can do that, you can meet up and have a drink in a cantina.

But you are not allowed to mail which does not even have a basis in real life. In the World Wars for example mail still got through to the other side, though it was usually diverted through a neutral entitity and it was all opened and read.

So the 'they are enemies' excuse is just that, and a flimsy one as well.

In the end, even if it was against the background (which it isn't), some things in this game should concede to background, others should concede to out of character concerns. This is one area where it hampers gameplay more than it promotes immersion and as such it should move aside for the player's convenience.

Seriously uneeded inconveniences like this give me the impression they resent us playing their game and wish to make it inconvenient to do our in game business.

Edited by Aram_Darksun

How on earth can you claim it's 'not against the background'

Seriously?

We aren't talking about true civilians here, who could quite legitimately have relatives living on a planet controlled by the otherside. What we are talking about are fanatically devoted people who idiologically disagree with everything the otherside does.

There is a absolutely no precedent in the books or films of a Jedi contacting a sith, or the other way around simply for a social call or to transfer their little brother some credits.

I will repeat again this shouldnt apply to smugglers or bounty hunters who simply should have been tied to a side in the first place.