Do not roll "Need" for companion gear.

face_hindu

and you essentially came here to say " look at me, I'm a jerk, seriously though..."

...and to encourage other people to rally against the whineyness of this post and also roll need for compaions, in doing so, teaching a lesson to whiners everywhere.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I disagree, i read your post. comps are pixes, non flashpoint gear will suffice.

people are people. I treat them better

Gear is pixels, non flashpoint gear will suffice. People are people, I treat them better.

Companions are just another form of circumstance-specific gear.

This issue is brought to you by Bioware. They have made companions such an intgegral part of the game rolling need is a must. They are perhaps an identity unto themselves however they are an integral part to your success or failure and therefore the gear they wear is important to you as a player.

I am not happy about this aspect of the game as I generally have a strong dislike for 'companions'. Nonetheless, they were designed into the game as a key element and therefore should be considered as such.

Some people before me commented that this issue cannot be discussed since it is a matter of opinion. I don't think it is. I think it's a matter of common sense:

Group effort should reward the group as a whole. No one in the group will benefit in the next flashpoint by gearing up companions. As such it is in the interest of groups and teamplay to gear up the main characters first and not the companions.

And now a bit of opinion:

If it was impossible to gear up your companion outside of flashpoints and if it was impossible to level without a very good geared companion, I would understand rolling need for companions. But since this is not the case, rolling need seems rather selfish.

I have many firends I dont keep talies or peoples gear but rolling need on lightsaber and your a smuggler, there is something wrong there.

You're not Master Kayote. Who according to him keeps a "sith list" and does keep talies and stuff. After reading his posts in this and a few other threads, I was kind of surprised at how angry he was. It's not a very friendly approach to the game and a lot of times that does come out in grouping. I mean he's keeping a list?

Even the people that get super upset about need for whatever and do add people to ignore lists and what not, let it all go afterwards and just move on. They've ignored the player. Kicked them, or dropped group and have forgotten. But that guy adds them to a list he keeps by his computer.

I'd rather group with ninja looters? That's a little less creepy.

Edited by SnoggyMack

It benefits me more to have my Quinn get that Chest token that the random sniper in the group. It enables me to do all the things faster. As such, i NEED it, I can wear it now, it is even for main spec.

I know what you mean, I often think that way too. But I try to decide based on how much enjoyment someone will get out of it vs my enjoyment.

The thing is that Sniper would probably enjoy and appreciate it a whole lot more than you having it on Quinn, right? I mean, come on. :) Its just 5 points of healing lost, really.

We all need to think about how other peeps feel, instead of knee jerk material gain NOW NOW NOW.

Edited by Four_Leaf_Clover

My companion is Bad *** and equiped with good armor/mods too.

I just didn't ninja them from other players in the world for it.

GTN,PVP,story quest reward companion armor, craft your own, use commedations, trade between characters...

with soo many ways to equip your companion. Needing for comps in flash's IS stealing. just admit it.

My companion can kick your companions *** and I have never screwed anybody to do it. Can you say the same? Take down the viel of internet anonimity and you would act differently (or you really are just a horrible person)

Hey Genius, how do you think those secondary options got the gear in the first place?

GTN,PVP,story quest reward companion armor, craft your own, use commedations, trade between characters...

with soo many ways to equip your companion. Needing for comps in flash's IS stealing. just admit it.

Im just gonna keep posting this every couple pages or so now...

And i'll keep replying to it..

how do you think those items got onto the vendors in the first place?

Simply not true. Most people in game agree with me.

Typical of the people who think rolling need for companions is bad. Always thinking they speak for everyone.

Don't pat yourself on the back just yet. I roll need on everything. I have no problem finding groups. And the people who get butt hurt, then can quit the group at anytime.

well the current system benefits "need alls" and selfish ninjas and leaves team players and decent folk empty handed for thier work (forcing them to the dark side)

so well... yes it needs adjustment.

How is it selfish when:

1 they helped out so they have just as much right to the item as you.

2 everyone has an equal chance at getting it.

You just want to stack the deck in your favor and that is WAY more selfish.

At least the people rolling need aren't riding some high horse that isn't even there.

hey Delekii

awesome numbers Who knew comp skills get better when you gear them... derp...

we are talking about stealing that gear from others to supply your comp when that same gear can come from SOOOO many not ninja sources

If the same gear is easily available those other players can get it there too.

The CDL is on to you and your discrimination of companions

we are talking about stealing that gear from others to supply your comp when that same gear can come from SOOOO many not ninja sources

On the other hand, another player who chooses "need" on an item when I choose "greed" is stealing that item from me because it an come from SOOOOO many not ninja sources. Why is it if I roll need I am termed "greedy" but not the other way around?

When an item drops only one person can get it. So whatever happens, three people out of a four person group are going to "lose". All four of those people helped to defeat the (presumably boss) mob, why should 3/4 of them not get a reward?

Better questions are:

Why does the game even allow this? Why is the game using a decade-old looting mechanic?

Edited by Havokk

On the other hand, another player who chooses "need" on an item when I choose "greed" is stealing that item from me because it an come from SOOOOO many not ninja sources. Why is it if I roll need I am termed "greedy" but not the other way around?

When an item drops only one person can get it. So whatever happens, three people out of a four person group are going to "lose". All four of those people helped to defeat the (presumably boss) mob, why should 3/4 of them not get a reward?

Better questions are:

Why does the game even allow this? Why is the game using a decade-old looting mechanic?

I wish BW use a new looting method like GW2. If not, I would like them stick to Round the Robin and get away from BoP equipment (other than crafting perks item).

At least, the old Round the Robin is fair for PUG (everyone who participate will get something base on luck) and organized raid will use DKP or other priority looting system they enforce for their guild runs.

Group effort should reward the group as a whole. No one in the group will benefit in the next flashpoint by gearing up companions. As such it is in the interest of groups and teamplay to gear up the main characters first and not the companions.[/Quote]

This would make sense if you did every flashpoint with the same group. But this is not the case for most people -- and if you do have a group that does every flashpoint together, you probably can work out a loot distribution system among yourselves.

If it was impossible to gear up your companion outside of flashpoints and if it was impossible to level without a very good geared companion, I would understand rolling need for companions. But since this is not the case, rolling need seems rather selfish.
Since it is possible to gear yourself outside of flashpoints (including through the GTN) and since it is possible to level with non-flashpoint gear, I don't see any reason to roll need for any item at all (for you or your companion).

The addition of companions to this game breaks the logic of the NBGers.

Perhaps they should just rename "need" and "greed" to "Mine!" and "Random Distribution".

Edited by sjmc

lol. considering I am a healer and the only reason anyone gets a single piece of loot at all is because i keep everyone alive. funny statement bra.

i enjoy exposing the immaturity in people, it shows how weak and pathetic they are.

Nice, huh?

Cake is a lie; there is only pie.

Nice, huh?

Cake is a lie; there is only pie.

I know huh. here is the typical response when I take something for my companion, pretty sad and pathetic.

"BUT MOMMY SAID I COULD ONLY PLAY FOR 30 MINUTES AND YOU TOOK MY ITEM!"

Really guys, grow up please.

I know huh. here is the typical response when I take something for my companion, pretty sad and pathetic.

"BUT MOMMY SAID I COULD ONLY PLAY FOR 30 MINUTES AND YOU TOOK MY ITEM!"

Really guys, grow up please.

Really, that's the typical response when you ninja loot? Odd, because my response would be:

1. Immediate kick.

2. Ignore

3. All guildies and affiliated guildies ignore

Keep digging that hole, man.

B]Cake is a lie; there is only pie.[/b]

Really, that's the typical response when you ninja loot? Odd, because my response would be:

1. Immediate kick.

2. Ignore

3. All guildies and affiliated guildies ignore

Keep digging that hole, man.

B]Cake is a lie; there is only pie.[/b]

I know it was a weak troll post. Bottom line, you play the way you want, I will play the way I want. Everyone is happy :D

Since it is possible to gear yourself outside of flashpoints (including through the GTN) and since it is possible to level with non-flashpoint gear, I don't see any reason to roll need for any item at all (for you or your companion).

The addition of companions to this game breaks the logic of the NBGers.

Perhaps they should just rename "need" and "greed" to "Mine!" and "Random Distribution".

That doesn't make any sense. "Need Before Greed" has been the social norm for the last decade, long before we even had a button labeled "need". It's like saying "Gratz" when someone levels. "Need" refers to upgrades for the character in the group. "Greed" refers to when you want something, but don't technically need it as an upgrade to your character in the group.

Cosmetic outfits, selling to vendor, selling on the GTN, equipping alts, equipping companions or giving it to a guild-mate are all things you might WANT to do, and should do assuming you win by clicking "Greed". If someone's intention is to roll "need" on everything, they should inform the group they're going to need on everything so they can either be booted or the group can agree to group with them.

Everyone deserves a fair chance at upgrading their character should an item drop for them. If someone in the group is grabbing items to sell to vendor or equip their companion, and they don't tell anyone their intention until after they click "need" and the victim has clicked "greed", then their fair chance at their class's share of the loot has been stolen.