Non-Class Storylines that NEED to be Expanded On

DMBLaan

I think there are sooo many Planetary and Side Mission stories that don't seem to matter, but they should! Whether it's the Null Canons from Rep Hoth or the Infinite Engine from Imp Nar Shaddaa, or even as new as the mysterious force master that trained Guss in his Alliance Alert in KOTET. There are just so many that could have game changing potential. Let's talk about some of them.

I think there are sooo many Planetary and Side Mission stories that don't seem to matter, but they should! Whether it's the Null Canons from Rep Hoth or the Infinite Engine from Imp Nar Shaddaa, or even as new as the mysterious force master that trained Guss in his Alliance Alert in KOTET. There are just so many that could have game changing potential.

Let's talk about some of them.

hi there DMBLaan! You'll probably have a better spark getting players to talk about your topic by re-posting (or moving) your thread over to a more appropriate forums section, like maybe the 'Story and Lore' section or even maybe just the standard 'General Discussion' section.

( *It looks like you accidentally posted here in the 'Star Wars Discussion' section: http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=988076 ...which is technically meant for like the SW movies or tv shows or books or whatever)

Best of luck!

*EDIT: thread got moved by mods (in case OP didn't notice)

Edited by Nee-Elder
i wonder when players will start to actually read 'sticky' threads again

Darth Wicked once had an interesting theory that Revan's journal from the Infinite Engine storyline was actually a breadcrumb to understanding Vitiate's ultimate plan; he did a textual analysis that tied together Revan's incoherent rantings to the weird Rakata blathering from the Thing that Czerka Left Behind mission, to [wrongly] predict what would happen post-Ziost. I don't remember where I saw the thread (it was a few years ago) but man that dude must have had access to AMAZING drugs.

It would be cool if Bareesh the Hutt from NS showed up on Mek-Sha or the mandalorians from the Imperial Tat bonus series mission ("Kandosii!") were grunts in the mando civil war. This should be a no-brainer from BW: rather than spend money, time, talent, and effort (that is, the 4 things the devs lack) making up new characters, use existing character images for new stories.

Edited by Ardrossan

I think there are sooo many Planetary and Side Mission stories that don't seem to matter, but they should! Whether it's the Null Canons from Rep Hoth or the Infinite Engine from Imp Nar Shaddaa, or even as new as the mysterious force master that trained Guss in his Alliance Alert in KOTET. There are just so many that could have game changing potential. Let's talk about some of them.

So which ones are canon? Does Balmorra exist? Dark side the Planetary missions for the Republic... The reason they aren't expanded upon is because they can be game changing, devastatingly so. In a SP game, the environment is a lot different, but despite all the claims to the contrary, this is an MMO, and if we're going to expand on planetary missions, and other arcs, there will need to be a canon version. In doing so, whoever chose the other option is told "sorry mate, your choices don't matter because we need to continue this arc, even though you stopped the Empire from destroying the planet, by destroying the planet first"...

So which ones are canon? Does Balmorra exist? Dark side the Planetary missions for the Republic... The reason they aren't expanded upon is because they can be game changing, devastatingly so. In a SP game, the environment is a lot different, but despite all the claims to the contrary, this is an MMO, and if we're going to expand on planetary missions, and other arcs, there will need to be a canon version. In doing so, whoever chose the other option is told "sorry mate, your choices don't matter because we need to continue this arc, even though you stopped the Empire from destroying the planet, by destroying the planet first"...

Not really.

Null cannon: LS, destroy the copies, pubs have to fix it, versus DS, grab a copy, no one ever hears about it again.

It would be easy to insert a "it took a long time to get the null cannon working reliably" thus explaining its absence.

Not really.

Null cannon: LS, destroy the copies, pubs have to fix it, versus DS, grab a copy, no one ever hears about it again.

It would be easy to insert a "it took a long time to get the null cannon working reliably" thus explaining its absence.

The Null Cannon is mentioned in the pre-Meridian Complex cutscene. When the Imp forces are being detailed you have the option to ask if the Republic has anything comparable and it is said that they had hoped the Null Cannon prototypes would be ready but are not.

I feel like they already dipped their feet in that water with the intro missions saying that people didn't even know what gender Revan was and then introducing male revan. I also would like to see older stories and characters pop up, even if it is just a bit role because that character could be killed.

For example, I'd like to see more of Ivory, Watcher X, and Darmas. Mind you, I just want to see the latter so I can throw his rear under the prison again. :p My head canon was that my Smuggler promised Darmas that she'd be there if he escaped just so she could knock him down again. As in, call her specifically for the job. :D

I also wonder how the Esh-ka are doing? How my pirate crew on rishi is getting by? What did Nadia actually do with my holocron? Did Master Qulib raise that flesh raider? Is Scorpio one with iokath or just rummaging around in there? Did they ever find all of the Children of the Emperor in the Republic? Did we really wipe out all of the Revanites on Yavin and if not where were they for the whole take down the Emperor thing?!?

The creepy rakata prison thingy you found in the Tattoine Imp side planetary story.

It would be so cool if there's a secret side story triggered by taking back the "seed" in the Nar Shaddaa Imp side planetary story AND the "prison" and the prisoner in the Tattoine Imp side planetary story. I bet the Empire will try to put the two together in order to rebuild the Star Forge and that will guarantee disaster (and our toon has to solve the mess).

I feel like they already dipped their feet in that water with the intro missions saying that people didn't even know what gender Revan was and then introducing male revan. I also would like to see older stories and characters pop up, even if it is just a bit role because that character could be killed.

For example, I'd like to see more of Ivory, Watcher X, and Darmas. Mind you, I just want to see the latter so I can throw his rear under the prison again. :p My head canon was that my Smuggler promised Darmas that she'd be there if he escaped just so she could knock him down again. As in, call her specifically for the job. :D

I also wonder how the Esh-ka are doing? How my pirate crew on rishi is getting by? What did Nadia actually do with my holocron? Did Master Qulib raise that flesh raider? Is Scorpio one with iokath or just rummaging around in there? Did they ever find all of the Children of the Emperor in the Republic? Did we really wipe out all of the Revanites on Yavin and if not where were they for the whole take down the Emperor thing?!?

Imagine an 8 person Op on Yavin, with Revan represented by a blob, because Revan's gender wasn't fixed in the story. That's what we're looking at here. Some of the choices in planetary arcs have extreme consequences, such as Pub side's Balmorra arc.

You can check on your pirate crew every day, if you want to. That daily quest is still there, waiting to be done. I wonder, how many people do it every day? I do it while I'm there, but I haven't made any special trips just to do it. I mention Balmorra a lot, because it's literally "I'm going to stop the Empire by destroying the planet". Trying to carry stuff like that forward would throw a lot of players under the bus. So the Revan fix makes sense, and it's not like they threw it at us from nowhere, since there's a FP on both sides where Revan is already male. I can't say how they got there, but it could be the way I roll new characters, I flip a coin.

Yeah, my thoughts exactly. I'd say they doing more or less such stuff even by simple reference like Null Cannons in Meridian mission with possibility of future more important roles.

But yep, there are a lost of story or characters I'd like to see again.

6.3 FP will do that ;) but in minor way. Just as enemies.

I for example would love to bring again story about Tion Hegemony and even more Darth Nurin. She is really awesome character even in such short arc. Or Lord Hargrev and Dread Masters, Oricon, stuff as well.

What's more I'd love to see these two siths on Darc Council instead of e.g Darth Anathel or Darth Savik tbh. And make Dark Council unkillable for some time.

Yeah, my thoughts exactly. I'd say they doing more or less such stuff even by simple reference like Null Cannons in Meridian mission with possibility of future more important roles.

But yep, there are a lost of story or characters I'd like to see again.

6.3 FP will do that ;) but in minor way. Just as enemies.

I for example would love to bring again story about Tion Hegemony and even more Darth Nurin. She is really awesome character even in such short arc. Or Lord Hargrev and Dread Masters, Oricon, stuff as well.

What's more I'd love to see these two siths on Darc Council instead of e.g Darth Anathel or Darth Savik tbh. And make Dark Council unkillable for some time.

The Dread Masters are dealt with, a search of these forums will show that some were unhappy with how, since it's in Operations, but they are wrapped up nicely.

I feel like they already dipped their feet in that water with the intro missions saying that people didn't even know what gender Revan was and then introducing male revan.

I am not following. Which intro missions in TOR establish ambiguity with regard to Revan's sex and gender? Yes, in KotOR we get to choose Revan's sex because that was a game. That was carried through to KotOR 2 wherein we could choose Revan's sex and that impacted certain events in the story. Revan was established canonically as "male" in the 2005 The New Essential Chronology. Yes, the games, KotOR's 1 & 2, allowed us to choose a sex / gender for our "Revan" because they are roleplaying games, but for Revan to exist in accessory material Revan can not be so nebulous. By your comment it appears that you are placing the blame on TOR's writing team for introducing that tangled noodle and yet the decision was made years prior to the game being released. Revan was male for the entirety of the Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic comic book series that ran from 2006 to 2010. Revan was male in Drew Karpyshyn's book The Old Republic: Revan, which was released a month before the game in 2011.

I mention Balmorra a lot...

You do mention Balmorra a lot and I am wondering why?

Is it due to the Barrager project? Choosing to keep the Barrager does not mean that the planet is destroyed. If you choose to keep the Barrager you get an in-game mail stating that the Barrager is being modified to be more power efficient. And considering that there is an entire bonus series on Balmorra gives a rather definitive answer to any question of whether Balmorra was destroyed.

I am not following. Which intro missions in TOR establish ambiguity with regard to Revan's sex and gender? Yes, in KotOR we get to choose Revan's sex because that was a game. That was carried through to KotOR 2 wherein we could choose Revan's sex and that impacted certain events in the story. Revan was established canonically as "male" in the 2005 The New Essential Chronology. Yes, the games, KotOR's 1 & 2, allowed us to choose a sex / gender for our "Revan" because they are roleplaying games, but for Revan to exist in accessory material Revan can not be so nebulous. By your comment it appears that you are placing the blame on TOR's writing team for introducing that tangled noodle and yet the decision was made years prior to the game being released. Revan was male for the entirety of the Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic comic book series that ran from 2006 to 2010. Revan was male in Drew Karpyshyn's book The Old Republic: Revan, which was released a month before the game in 2011.

I want to say it's on republic Taris that one of the archaeologists comment on it. However, the point is that players made a choice that differed from what is canon and the sky did not fall. Who's "fault" is neither here nor there. They can make a choice further down the story that doesn't exactly match what the player chose and it can still work.

I want to say it's on republic Taris that one of the archaeologists comment on it. However, the point is that players made a choice that differed from what is canon and the sky did not fall. Who's "fault" is neither here nor there. They can make a choice further down the story that doesn't exactly match what the player chose and it can still work.

Yes, the archaeologists on Taris rep side mention it in passing when you go looking for the promised ones, so does the revanite master in the DK mission.

Yes, the archaeologists on Taris rep side mention it in passing when you go looking for the promised ones, so does the revanite master in the DK mission.

The Revanites on Dromund Kaas also say that Revan's gender is a mystery. But I can except that they just went ahead and made Revan male and the Exile female based on popular opinion/canon. Sometimes calls like that have to be made.