Virtual Cantina 2020 Recap

DanielSteed

Hey everyone!

...if the community really liked this style of a "virtual cantina", we can look into doing these in a post-pandemic world. Whether you liked the general format, meeting someone new from the team, hearing from voice actors etc. Let us know what parts you liked!

If it's not ALL of the cantinas, I guess ok. I've been to one cantina thus far, couldn't make others due to work or other commitments. I loved the in-person cantina. It was the one in San Diego right before KOTFE was released and you gave the sneak peek that Malgus was in carbonite. Sneaky that you gave that and it wasn't even for that expansion! My kids had a great time with the 401st being there in costume, and it was an all-around lovely day.

What you could do, is hold more cantinas rather than replace the in-person ones. Have in-person cantinas at a few of the various game conventions/comic-cons but also host livestreamed cantinas online midway between those in-person ones. That would be amazing and would help keep the community more informed than you've kept us thus far.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

thoroughly enjoyed the virtual cantina. Meeting the Voice Actors was incredibly interesting. I would love to see more of this.

Agreed !

Granted this pandemic has thrown all of us a curve of sorts... but IMO this does help feel better about the game and those who are a part of it !

I really enjoyed the stream and, as someone who probably wouldn't manage to get to a live event even if it were held over here, I think the idea of post-pandemic online events is a great one. It was nice to hear about upcoming content, but I particularly enjoyed the interviews with voice actors.

Both kinds are nice. There are people that can drive or fly to a Cantina event because they live nearby or can afford it. There are many of us who cannot due to use living far away, especially other countries.

It would also be nice for the in-person ones that there is a recording posted later so the rest of us can see it. Or have a completely interactive one where you have both groups that can participate.

Secondly, everything has now been uploaded to YouTube to view at your leisure! Keith mentioned that if the community really liked this style of a "virtual cantina", we can look into doing these in a post-pandemic world. Whether you liked the general format, meeting someone new from the team, hearing from voice actors etc. Let us know what parts you liked!

As someone who likely will never be able to attend a live cantina event I quite liked it. I understand that people like their in-person events, so the live cantinas should still occur to coincide with special events, but I would like to see more virtual cantinas.

Both kinds are nice. There are people that can drive or fly to a Cantina event because they live nearby or can afford it. There are many of us who cannot due to use living far away, especially other countries.

It would also be nice for the in-person ones that there is a recording posted later so the rest of us can see it. Or have a completely interactive one where you have both groups that can participate.

Agreed !!

Although the pandemic has been a serious matter to contend with ... IMO it has proven to help bring out some of the best of us as a community as well. Unquestionably this has been a strain on the staff of BW as well as those who do the VO acting. I personally do not take lightly their commitment to finding solutions to the situation.

In the midst of those solutions we have discovered an unexpected, yet quite pleasant side affect : the virtual cantina ! As time progresses it may be entirely possible that this has helped lay the ground work for more events in the future of a similar format. And as time / technology permits these events will improve!

Our world has changed so much in the last 10 years! Having a better understanding of that change and continuing to grow with it could also be an earmark of those companies that successfully adapts to those changes!

KUDOS to BW , the team and (once again) to the VOA's who were a part of this !

TYVM !

(edited)

Edited by OlBuzzard

Agreed !

Granted this pandemic has thrown all of us a curve of sorts... but IMO this does help feel better about the game and those who are a part of it !

Absolutely. The one thing that really stood out to me is how much the actors involved really love Star Wars

Agreed !!

Although the pandemic has been a serious matter to contend with ... IMO it has proven to help bring out some of the best of us as a community as well. Unquestionably this has been a strain on the staff of BW as well as those who do the VO acting. I personally do not take lightly their commitment to finding solutions to the situation.

I work for a global FinTech. The remote work option while viable also presents a ton of challenges particularly in areas of the world that have limited infrastructure for residential internet or live is smaller apartments with two working parents along with home school children all trying to continue their lives. Been an interesting and challenging year. There is really no way to prepare for this type of event. But Bioware like all shops are making it work as best they can.

• Dev Post

Hey everyone!

I wanted to offer some clarification. Until we can return to in-person events, we are planning to hold more Livestream Cantinas throughout next year. In the future, we're likely to do both once we're able! Since we tried a few new things production/format wise with the recent livestream, I wanted to take the opportunity to gauge the community's thoughts.

I would love to see an official stream having you show how you take the screenshots/videos whenever new cartel market items are released giving us a behind-the-scenes look at the kind of dev tools for screenshots & cinematics you got access to :jawa_tongue:. Actually some behind-the-scenes streams could be nice, seeing how stuff in the game is made (not that the behind-the-scenes interviews on the site arent nice, but it's different between reading an interview and actually seeing how stuff is made).

Interesting idea. While the team, and myself especially, are always looking at ways we can provide a behind-the-scenes look, that's a route I haven't looked into much. Can't guarantee it will happen, but I'll start putting some brain power into something of that nature.

Edited by DanielSteed

Interesting idea. While the team, and myself especially, are always looking at ways we can provide a behind-the-scenes look, that's a route I haven't looked into much. Can't guarantee it will happen, but I'll start putting some brain power into something of that nature.

Would be really cool if this was possible, would be really interesting to see the tools you guys use, also might give a better understanding to why certain things are in-game as they are. Even the very detailed write-up on the guild flagship disappearing bug was really interesting to read. Reading about how you guys desing npc models and their outfits was cool too, but I would love to actually see those tools in action :jawa_tongue: .

Edited by Darthjantom

Hey everyone!

I wanted to offer some clarification. Until we can return to in-person events, we are planning to hold more Livestream Cantinas throughout next year. In the future, we're likely to do both once we're able! Since we tried a few new things production/format wise with the recent livestream, I wanted to take the opportunity to gauge the community's thoughts.

Just a quick question, is there any chance we'll be getting the Prinawe mounts from future cantinas, as we've already gotten some of the other stuff. Please 🙏🙏🙏🙏

Hey everyone!

[/snip]

Agreed !!

In the midst of those solutions we have discovered an unexpected, yet quite pleasant side affect : the virtual cantina ! As time progresses it may be entirely possible that this has helped lay the ground work for more events in the future of a similar format. And as time / technology permits these events will improve!

Our world has changed so much in the last 10 years! Having a better understanding of that change and continuing to grow with it could also be an earmark of those companies that successfully adapts to those changes!

KUDOS to BW , the team and (once again) to the VOA's who were a part of this !

TYVM !

This is how I feel and what I think about the situation. I hope it's not coming across as smooth talk , useless diatribe, or verbosity.

I really am trying to convey:

*** sincere appreciation for what's been done for BOTH members of the BW staff AND those who were interviewed.

*** a thought or two for future exploration.

*** and maybe even a consideration that while this is unquestionably a bit of a "technical juggling act" at this point in time it could become a useful tool in your hands even AFTER the pandemic has been dealt with ! So often difficulties such as this can and will spawn unexpected solutions that yield long term benefits. IMO ... this virtual meeting like this could be one such unexpected positive tool to explore and use as time progresses.

I would also like to add that the recap has been equally beneficial to me personally. There were RL issues that demanded attention and I was unable to log in and be a part of the meeting. I can almost guarantee a much more focused effort on the next one !!

Thank You

Hey everyone!

[/color]

That's great to hear!

I'd love to see more VA interviews!

Female Agent, Aric, Theron, Vector, Adronikos, Satele/Female Trooper. All of them!

Perhaps a good mix / cross section. Depending upon the story progress / development that might work.

Additionally:

** suggested thoughts for future themes (just enough to "tease" for possible future story progression

** new armor / gear themes ??

** or perhaps just news that might suggest where SWTOR really is headed in the future .. again just "teased themes".

Pretty much the format you are using is good. Refine the process a bit ?? Being yourself and having fun is just fantastic!

OH ! As far as the interviews being pre-recorded (or even edited) I have no problem with that. Sometimes that might be the best approach for at least some of them.

There is a lot of positive out of this sort of thing. Most of us can't attend the "live" Cantinas .. soooo this IMO is so thoughtful and (for me at least) really appreciated !

If pre-recording interviews enables you to have a wider array of actors, developers, etc. take part in the streams, then I am all for you guys going all-in on pre-recorded interviews for your livestreams.

It would be nice if you had a place, perhaps, for viewers to submit a few questions though?

I also want to add a little +1 for some behind the scenes looks! I'm fascinated by developer environments and seeing the work that goes into making things. Even if it's just a little time lapse of some piece of armor being created, or maybe a room in a new flashpoint, or anything!

Edited by jedimasterjac

Hey everyone!

During the summer STO did an online vote with 4 different designs for their summer ship, once the winner was announced there was 2 livestreams with 2 different model designers working to bring the ship to life.

It was truly fascinating as you got to see and hear why things were done in a certain way and what limitations they had whilst making sure they stuck within the parameters of the ST license.

I must admit that it built a great hype for the ship when it arrived in-game. I and I presume others would love to see something similar going forward.