Australian server transfer in LATE April!

melsione

A few people have made some very interesting points, Stephen if you could clear this up for us it would be much appreciated.

Q. If a player on a US server with a legacy level of 20 qualifies for a free transfer to an Oceanic server where he made an alt and leveled to 40 to secure the same legacy name. But the alt only has a legacy of 1, when the transfer takes place with the imported characters would their legacy be 1 or 20 or 21?

• Replies 532
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

so pretty much all the people who really wanted this game and bought the U.S copy wont get their character names saved ... ive already lost 2 of my character names... so ye i duno what to do ... how can they stuff all the people who like the game the most , i goto login and i really dont feel like it nemore..

unless things change and change quick u've lost 2 accounts here

i take back my earlier comment. kind of understand why they delayed them now. imagine how challenging pvp would be and the AH would get a bit messed up. atleast it forces me to make an alt lol.

only thing i hate!!! 3 servers is not enough. especially since its of each type. two already have queues and the one remaining is RP. its kind of forcing you to play a server you dont want to be on.

also imagine how populated they will be after transfers!! will it even be possible??

Looks like I'm going to have to make an addition to my signature. Seriously... late April? I actually thought that we were going to be able to transfer our characters, if not immediately, then a few days after the launch at maximum. My character's name is already taken on the server my guild is going to transfer to, to make it even better. My legacy name is definitely going to be taken after two months. That's not really a massive issue, I suppose it's just a name... but they seem to be pushing things back constantly, with widely known problems not being fixed for months, like they don't have enough people to work on them or something.

Of course, this wouldn't be so bad if there was something to DO for two months apart from warzones, Ilum, hard modes and operations, and standing around the desolate Republic station. It's probably worth noting that Ilum isn't actually a viable option as the Sith have the advantage 9/10 times I go there, with about 20 of them standing around the center and about 10 Republic on the whole planet. Warzones aren't as bad, but the Sith have so many battlemaster Inquisitors it isn't funny. Seeing a black and red saber on the Sith team is as common as a purple or red one, and I've only seen about 2 Republic people with blue and black ones. So yeah, slightly unbalanced there. Oh, it's also very hard to find a group for hardmodes, and as a result no-one I know has started Operations yet.

There's so many problems with this game, I really don't know whether it's worth continuing to play anymore. There's just so little to do, and I'm only at valor level 33 and the warzones don't really interest me anymore. It almost seems linear in how narrow the scope is at the moment. The only places worth going are the station and Ilum. It was fun for a while, but I might stop playing. Maybe for about a year, and see how things are going then. The only things that was really motivating me to keep playing was the Oceanic servers... and now we have to wait two months for those. It sometimes feels like they're just stringing us along, like I used to do in rollercoaster tycoon, where I would put no entry gates at the exit of the park so the guests couldn't escape and I was able to reach the goal number of guests. Of course they were all very tired and starving at that point, and my amusement park was completely ruined, but I'd won the game so who cares. Go straight to the next park and try to squeeze more guests out of that.

Server transfers are complex and they take time.

Rift is the only mmo in recent history that offered server transfers this close to launch(4 months), and they didn't have to deal with the amount of things attached to a ToR character.

Edited by BlackZoback

Server transfers are complex and they take time.

Rift is the only mmo in recent history that offered server transfers this close to launch(4 months), and they didn't have to deal with the amount of things attached to a ToR character.

RIFT was horrible, plain and simple

Heck, when WoW launched TBC and opened the oceanic servers, they were opened off the bat and offered free transfers as well, off the bat, No questions asked!

Edited by HumbleJedi

I'm not from the Asia Pacific region so I am not directly affected by this, but I suppose that the character transfer system will be available to to rest of the world some time afterwards, so it may very well affect everyone else.

That being said, I would like to suggest that people who feel angry about the two months between launch and the possibility to transfer due to various reasons should consider the following issues:

1. Associated data

Transferring a character from one server to another is more complex than copying a text or image file from one directory to another. I do not know what kind of database system (relational or object oriented) they use, nor do I know the table structure (if it is a classic relational) but if we list all the different things that are associated with a character (e.g. character stats, items in backback, items in the bank, mission log, codex entries, abilities, dialogue choices, companions, companion gear, crew skills, schematics, legacy, and of course guild membership, friends, and GTN, which they already exluded), it's clear that it's not trivial.

2. Manual vs. automatic

Point 1 may be a little more complex than copying a simple file, but it is still the easiest part of the whole process and I just assume that they are already able to copy a character from one server to another (e.g. live to PTS) manually. However, that would be something one of the database people would do and obviously not a UI designer. Just because you can do something manually does not mean that it can easily be done for thousands or tens of thousands of people.

They can restore deleted characters or deleted items, but we don't have an in-game function for that, because that would need to be implemented by someone.

3. Non-conforming data in an automated process

Since the database structures on two different servers are still the same, non-conforming data should hardly be an issue. However, conflicting data (not just names and legacy names) may be an issue, but since I have no clue about their data structure I could only speculate here, which I will not do.

4. Names

This is probably the biggest issue for a lot of users and although personally my characters' names mean little to me, I understand that there are people who are very fond of their choses names.

What needs to be understood though, is that compromises will always have to be made when we are talking about character transfers or even server merges. When two people want to play a game of chess together and both insist on playing "white" there will be a conflict.

That conflict can only be solved by (1) one person giving in, or (2) throwing dice, or (3) using a "first-come, first-served" rule, or (4) any other arbitrary rule like "hours played", "highest character level", "character creation date". Except for case 1 there is always someone who will be upset. The only way to prevent all that would be to have names globally unique, which obviously is not something people would want either.

5. Legacy and legacy names

The legacy system is currently implemented as "one legacy per account and server". I just assume that once a character reaches the end of chapter 1 a flag is set on the account for that specific server that from now on legacy xp is to be accumulated. What I do not know is whether the legacy xp itself is stored per character and just added together or if it is tied to the account. I guess if it is stored per character, then deleting a low level character who accumulated some legacy xp should lower the total legacy xp again. If it is tied to the account, the legacy xp bar should not be affected.

If it is stored per character, the legacy xp could then be transferred to the new server with ease. If it is tied to the account on the server, this may be far more difficult. I will just assume that it is not tied to the chaaracter and the account simultaneously, because that would be redundant and may cause other issues.

About the uniqueness of legacy names see point 4. Whether they actually had to be unique or not I do not know. It is a design decision and it is easier to have it more restricted in the beginning in case they want to expand on that, than allowing duplicates first and then having to deal with those later.

6. Support

Generally speaking, people seems to feel that there is a lot of room for improvement regarding customer support and their response times. Now imagine a 1% fail rate for character transfers if it's not properly implemented and tested. Assuming there may be anything between 20000 and 100000 people who would want to transfer (with 1 to 3 characters each) that could mean anything between 200 and 3000 additional support cases in a very short time frame.

Since the normal CS people wouldn't be able to resolve these issues it would have to be escalated to the database people again. The affected players would have to wait for days if not weeks, and would not be able to play on either server in that case.

7. Conclusion

Implementing an automatic transfer system takes time. Properly testing it takes time, too. Training the staff to handle associated support cases takes time. It is a priority now, but it apparently wasn't during the initial development. Since they - as everyone else - only have a limited amount of resources they need to set priorities. I do not know what the people that are not implementing the transfer system worked on before, but whatever it was, it wouldn't be in the game if they had worked on the transfer system instead.

I am looking forward to the character transfer system for the general public when it comes (though that may be in three months, or six months or a year). I am on a well populated server and do not plan to transfer my characters, but it will be a good thing for those who are currently on low population servers. But that is a completely different topic, so I shall stop here.

Edited by Shoraan
fixed a typo

I must admit that I was surprised and dissapointed initially when I read about the server merge late April.

I do find it almost humerous to read every second person threatening to unsub.

I call absolute BS. You have most likely spent $79 on the game then two months sub fee at $15 a month.

You have now invested $109 into an mmo you clearly like let alone the gaming hours invested.

When the game launched we had no idea of when the game was even going to be released in the oceanic region let alone servers, yet you were all happy to play the game and pay the subs.

Now you find out that you will need to wait 6-8 weeks more and all you can do is get on here and whinge and whine and threaten to leave.

Firstly, I bet you don't (you know you won't), secondly, your threats will not change anything and thirdly it is what it is. Server merge will be at the end of April.

Accept it and get on with the game.

P.S you better think of a new toon name while you're at it.

Edited by Moonpatrol

Yes, it is pretty appalling to push transfers back until late April. I wonder why they are doing this - are they still trying to figure out how transfers work? lol

do you know how transfers work? do you think that letting a few players transfer is more important then fixing the bugs/issues with the game? of course you do your upset and cranky and want your juice, here have a juice box I even opened the straw and put it in for you so you wont complain about it

Thanks for the update Bioware.

I have an immediate question regarding the legacy levels and character transfer that affects my current gameplay. I'm about to finish my first act on a new character on the new servers I wish to transfer to. I therefore have to pick a legacy name.

I was thinking of naming my new Aus character legacy the same as my US legacy.

Will this cause any problems when it comes time to transfer?

Thanks - I know you guys are busy with the guild summit but any advice you have is appreciated.

Heck, when WoW launched TBC and opened the oceanic servers, they were opened off the bat and offered free transfers as well, off the bat, No questions asked!

Well that was because WOW had been doing server transfers and character transfers months before TBC came out. It's a service they were already accustomed to. Had 1st hand experience when they did the massive transfers from Proudmoore to new server Dragonblight. So when TBC came out and Blizz launched Oceanic servers, it was no problem for them.

Sigh, you guys don't know how lucky and privileged you are, at the first sign of complications, you bash em right away at the drop of a hat. You get your own servers, you get great latency, have a good game experience, and you can't wait for a few more weeks?

Try and look at the underdeveloped countries(or countries that are not and will never be part of the green zone as they will never launch there. i.e. third world countries like a lot of SE Asian Countries) compare your status with theirs(ours) and then see if you're still being treated unfairly.

Edited by Sibakero

Seriously,

We get a new server! We have lvl 50's who raid and play endgame, but we have to wait almost 2 months before we can bring them across and actually play on the better latency?

Which person came up with this concept? You knew when the aussie servers were coming up and you did not allow for server transfers to happen immediately?

So now if we want to play on our mains (Which we DO) we have to go back to the 250 latency pings for another 2 months! Bravo!

And what happens when people take existing legacy surnames which we cannot reserve?

This is so pathetic!

Well only solution for me: End subscription till April and then try again! The only reason I renewed my subscription was because of wanting to play on low latency servers!

And for anyone wondering where I am getting April from: Its in their FAQ: http://www.swtor.com/info/faq/game#q400115

No one forced you to play on usa server when you new it was coming out here ,you jumped the gun and now your complaining hehe

Thanks for the update Bioware.

I have an immediate question regarding the legacy levels and character transfer that affects my current gameplay. I'm about to finish my first act on a new character on the new servers I wish to transfer to. I therefore have to pick a legacy name.

I was thinking of naming my new Aus character legacy the same as my US legacy.

Will this cause any problems when it comes time to transfer?

Thanks - I know you guys are busy with the guild summit but any advice you have is appreciated.

Great question and one that needs answering asap, the only way that will happen is if S.R. gets the question on twitter.

In sponge to some who were asking about Legacy level transfers across servers, from this morning's guild summit, it seems that the highest Legacy level will be kept.

I read the same thing. I am wondering how they are going to handle the legacy names though. I leveled an alt to 30 on an Asia-Pacific server and I kinda prefer my new legacy name even though my legacy level on the North American server is almost capped.

When I do transfer, would I be able to keep the legacy level from my old server while using the legacy name I have on the new server?

Seriously,

We get a new server! We have lvl 50's who raid and play endgame, but we have to wait almost 2 months before we can bring them across and actually play on the better latency?

Which person came up with this concept? You knew when the aussie servers were coming up and you did not allow for server transfers to happen immediately?

So now if we want to play on our mains (Which we DO) we have to go back to the 250 latency pings for another 2 months! Bravo!

And what happens when people take existing legacy surnames which we cannot reserve?

This is so pathetic!

Well only solution for me: End subscription till April and then try again! The only reason I renewed my subscription was because of wanting to play on low latency servers!

And for anyone wondering where I am getting April from: Its in their FAQ: http://www.swtor.com/info/faq/game#q400115

Wait like the rest of the players that want server transfers. You're no more or less important than anyone else.

I thought you said "players who are eligible for the free server transfer will be emailed by ‘early’ march, " ?

It was on the basis of this advertised information that I purchased two copies of the game, one for my father and one for my brother.

You do realise that false advertising is illegal, and generally does not help sustain levels of customer satisfaction.

Can you confirm to anybody(s) reading this thread, who might be in the same position, that you will refund their purchase(s) based on the change of events?

Edited by Eddynz
More constructive

I thought you said "players who are eligible for the free server transfer will be emailed by ‘early’ march, " ?

It was on the basis of this advertised information that I purchased two copies of the game, one for my father and one for my brother.

You do realise that false advertising is illegal, and generally does not help sustain levels of customer satisfaction.

Can you confirm to anybody(s) reading this thread, who might be in the same position, that you will refund their purchase(s) based on the change of events?

As I said in your other thread - they said they'd email in early March and they did email in early March.

Alas, we just have to wait until April for the transfers.

It was not an advertisement... :rolleyes: