Do you support a Mac OS X client in Star Wars the Old Republic?

Pencilvania

Here's a great read from Forbes that talks about everything I've been saying over the past weeks in this thread... how times are changing, the Apple dominance is unstoppable. It affects directly why BioWare needs to supper the Mac.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/ericjackson/2012/03/21/why-apple-will-hit-1650-by-the-end-of-2015/

You talk like the numbers the writer throws out are solid, and a set roadmap. It's a media hype for investors fellah.

After all this time, the market share for the Big A is still small. Small shares don't always mean small profits, don't get me wrong, but it doesn't always translate into profits for other companies or people. If A had to rely on its chief product it'd died a long time ago, they've done what every other entity in their position has done- keep throwing out new stuff in new areas. (Which they systematically get killed in in short order) <--- Thats why they wont even pay taxes in the US.

Its great you are hyping the Gucci of the computer world, but it is what it is- an expensive computer line that really, holds no additional value over other computers, and is subject to clever marketing. The people who are truly capable of buying into Apple products actually, should be in the first place, and, as a matter of style should have no issue buying the "Windows" accessory-

It's the "Fake Rich" or, "Wannabe Niche" that buy only to show off the glowing fruit like its a status symbol that are griping. BW already made note about a mac client, and its not in the near future. Continually bumping the 2 threads about it between the 18 of you wont change the timeline, let alone the truth of the matter. Not everyone will buy into the hype.

Edited by Ancientwolfgr

• Replies 878
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's the "Fake Rich" or, "Wannabe Niche" that buy only to show off the glowing fruit like its a status symbol that are griping.

I believe there was a study that shows women prefer men with an iPhone over other smart phones. So I guess they have that going for them. I prefer my droid though, I can do what I want with it.

I believe there was a study that shows women prefer men with an iPhone over other smart phones. So I guess they have that going for them. I prefer my droid though, I can do what I want with it.

It's because it translates into "Cannot see beyond the surface for what something really is" and "Has the extra cash to throw around" AND "Easily lead by the nose".

Excellent fish bait for the sharks out there. My wifes a model with a degree and would never touch a Apple product. :rolleyes:

Don't make assumptions, please.

I said we're not currently working on a Mac client. That doesn't rule out the possibility of a Mac client in the future; as various interviews have stated, it's always possible.

However, currently, there are no development efforts directed towards a Mac client. Unless it's being done in an underground bunker far from here by stealth-suited developers.

So does this mean that they changed their minds when Greg Zeschuk said, "That's definitely one of the things we're looking at next."?

Because it seem contradictory to me to say it's something we're looking at next to "there's currently no effort directed towards a Mac client."

Edited by Toxen

As much as I love SWTOR, with the lack of a decently performing (or even supported!) mac client, and no plan for one in the foreseeable future, I'm just going to unsub when Mists of Panderia comes out and go back to WoW.

I live my life connected to a network for work, play and leisure and OS X/iOS make that lifestyle so much more enjoyable than any other solution available. Having to stop everything, cut myself off from essential services and boot into uncomfortable, inhospitable Windows just to play a game is more than I can take. It's like keeping my hobby in a rackety old shed that I have to walk a mile through brambles to reach instead of keeping my hobby in my clean, comfortable, tastefully appointed modern home.

I had a ton of fun in WoW for 7 years, and I'd hoped to start a new multi-year experience with SWTOR, but Blizzard is much better at keeping me happy, it seems.

Mods, Macs, and much more end-game - WoW is winning me back.

As much as I love SWTOR, with the lack of a decently performing (or even supported!) mac client, and no plan for one in the foreseeable future, I'm just going to unsub when Mists of Panderia comes out and go back to WoW.

I live my life connected to a network for work, play and leisure and OS X/iOS make that lifestyle so much more enjoyable than any other solution available. Having to stop everything, cut myself off from essential services and boot into uncomfortable, inhospitable Windows just to play a game is more than I can take. It's like keeping my hobby in a rackety old shed that I have to walk a mile through brambles to reach instead of keeping my hobby in my clean, comfortable, tastefully appointed modern home.

I had a ton of fun in WoW for 7 years, and I'd hoped to start a new multi-year experience with SWTOR, but Blizzard is much better at keeping me happy, it seems.

Mods, Macs, and much more end-game - WoW is winning me back.

These are my feelings exactly. Although I'm gonna give GW2 a shot first before I move back to wow. Even though it doesn't have a Mac client either, I'm willing to overlook it due to lack of subscription needed.

I'm still gonna push for one, but I'm not gonna get offended if they don't.

I find the idea of "BioWare should not waste the money on a Mac Client" to be a silly one.

Let's take a closer look at why people are saying that over and over.

The misconception I believe is that people are making the assumption that BioWare will be throwing money and time away on a client for another platform.

What people don't discuss is the benefits. I do realize that this is the internet and people simply want to say whatever they like whether or not it is informed or even true.

The benefits being ignored are monetary gain, brand loyalty, and player base. More users mean more money and players. I think it is worth a moment of pause when thinking about another client/s before dismissing it outright.

More players and revenue will not hurt the Windows client player base.

It will only help everyone involved. Regardless about how one feels about this platform or the other, it's more money, more people.

How is this logic not completely sound? I'd love to hear your thoughts.

Edited by Pencilvania

How is this logic not completely sound? I'd love to hear your thoughts.

Yeah, the problem is that nobody reads any of this, they just look at the initial question, misinterpret it in one of several lazy ways, then dump the same set of genius cliche's at the end and move on.

Sometimes I get frustrated with BW for apparently not listening, but in this case I hope they ignore this garbage and do the sensible thing in a year or so. First the game has to thrive. Then I'd love a Mac port. It's also possible that the WINE/Cider community will solve this independently, in which case we're good to go.

It's the "Fake Rich" or, "Wannabe Niche" that buy only to show off the glowing fruit like its a status symbol that are griping. BW already made note about a mac client, and its not in the near future. Continually bumping the 2 threads about it between the 18 of you wont change the timeline, let alone the truth of the matter. Not everyone will buy into the hype.

This is a bunch of Bull. The whole Windows vs Mac is a bad argument. Without Mac Microsoft would be total garbage, and visa versa. They steal ideas and concepts from each other and make them better so we get better products.

For every "fake rich", "Wannabe Niche" "status symbol" mac user there is an windows user. Think Dell XPS/ Alienware or Samsung Ultrabooks.

We are living in a Post PC world so it would be foolish of BW if they didn't consider opening SWTOR up to OSX/IOS. (IOS if the rumors are true that OSX is getting dumped if favor of a single OS.)

If the Mac market was as small as many on here have claimed, I don't think this thread would have gotten this large. Not to mention all the other "swotr on mac" threads on this forum.

Every time a new game comes out, there is always the question: "will this game run on Mac?". And if the answer is no, then the next question is: "When is it coming out for Mac?".

Obviously, there is a significant market for Mac gaming. It's one thing for "anti-mac" avocates to deny this; it's up for argument for sure. But for so many people to actually be offended by the idea baffles me.

Sample over-exaggeration:

PC guy: "no way mac client for this game!!!111! mac suxs they should die!!!!1111!!1one!1

Mac guy: ":eek: dude! what did we ever do to you? :( "

If the Mac market was as small as many on here have claimed, I don't think this thread would have gotten this large. Not to mention all the other "swotr on mac" threads on this forum.

Good point :)

As I said before, instead of turning this into a war between operating systems and computers, we should all roam to the same direction and make the community larger.

Edited by BrunoLogan

just duel boot, if you acttuly look around and ask some friends its not hard to get the OS you need to play a game win, or mac wise. Personally I go to a school where if i had a mac and wanted windows I could get wind 7 ult for $30 as a student and just duel boot. I don't see why people don't do it more often since wind generally runs games and mac is good for art music and other stuff.

I find mac has its down sides that is windows upsides and Windows downs are normally Mac ups. Getting both well you just solved all problems right there. Best of both worlds.

just duel boot, if you acttuly look around and ask some friends its not hard to get the OS you need to play a game win, or mac wise. Personally I go to a school where if i had a mac and wanted windows I could get wind 7 ult for $30 as a student and just duel boot. I don't see why people don't do it more often since wind generally runs games and mac is good for art music and other stuff.

I find mac has its down sides that is windows upsides and Windows downs are normally Mac ups. Getting both well you just solved all problems right there. Best of both worlds.

Windows causes more problems than it solves, which is why Mac users avoided it in the first place. Not to mention the expense ($200).

Other games support the Mac natively for a good reason - it's profitable and people don't boot into Windows.

Would just like to point out yet another instance of how iOS is becoming a gaming platform of choice, and through that, eliminating Windows proprietary technologies like DirectX.

Developers all want to develop for iOS, so they use more open standards. This developer skill set is important because it means they have the tools and skills that makes their iOS game automatically compatible with Mac OS X as well (it's the same OS as iOS.) Developers will be then making their current choice in reverse - "Should I port to Windows?" and those who answer "yes" will be fewer and fewer.

Latest case in point: Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition. Originally announced for the new iPad, and now coming to the Mac. Not a mention of Windows.

http://www.macrumors.com/2012/03/30/baldurs-gate-enhanced-edition-also-coming-to-mac/

Sure, they are not the latest cutting edge games... yet. But I'm here to tell you the number of "latest, cutting edge games" you see, especially ones that rely on Windows proprietary technology are going to decrease in numbers drastically.

This is but one of the first snowflakes to fall in what is to be a blizzard of reality for Microsoft, the Windows platform and PC gamers.

The game is over.

Apple platforms are, without question, premier first-tier gaming platforms, and any developer - especially that of a Star Wars subscription game - are foolish to not supper the platform as soon as possible.

Would just like to point out yet another instance of how iOS is becoming a gaming platform of choice, and through that, eliminating Windows proprietary technologies like DirectX.

Developers all want to develop for iOS, so they use more open standards. This developer skill set is important because it means they have the tools and skills that makes their iOS game automatically compatible with Mac OS X as well (it's the same OS as iOS.) Developers will be then making their current choice in reverse - "Should I port to Windows?" and those who answer "yes" will be fewer and fewer.

Latest case in point: Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition. Originally announced for the new iPad, and now coming to the Mac. Not a mention of Windows.

http://www.macrumors.com/2012/03/30/baldurs-gate-enhanced-edition-also-coming-to-mac/

Sure, they are not the latest cutting edge games... yet. But I'm here to tell you the number of "latest, cutting edge games" you see, especially ones that rely on Windows proprietary technology are going to decrease in numbers drastically.

This is but one of the first snowflakes to fall in what is to be a blizzard of reality for Microsoft, the Windows platform and PC gamers.

The game is over.

Apple platforms are, without question, premier first-tier gaming platforms, and any developer - especially that of a Star Wars subscription game - are foolish to not supper the platform as soon as possible.

While professionals who actually know the market disagree with you and keep stating the continual increase of Windows gaming. There is an increase in Mac/iOS gaming, but not at the expense of Windows gaming. Yes, Windows and Mac/iOS gaming are both growing with zero signs of either one falling. Macs will get games by default just because of the iOS, and Mobile device gaming is a growing market, but it is a limited market, it doesn't encase the whole gaming market like Windows does, Tablet gaming is more gear towards casual games.

Anyways, like I said, neither market is failing, or have any signs of if it failing, one doesn't need to fail in order for the other to succeed.

Tell you what, I'll take what you say serious, the moment real professionals in market analysis start agreeing with you.

Oh, and Balder's Gate Enhanced is coming to Windows

http://www.theverge.com/gaming/2012/3/23/2895827/baldurs-gate-ipad-enhanced-edition

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/116361-Beamdog-Boss-Reveals-More-About-Baldurs-Gate-Enhanced-Edition

https://twitter.com/#!/TrentOster

We'll be talking more on platform in later weeks. Right now we're focusing on the PC #bgee

Confirmed and focusing on PC first, announcement for Ipad and Mac OSX came later. So yeah, not a good example of what you are trying to say.

Edited by Wolfeisberg

While professionals who actually know the market disagree with you and keep stating the continual increase of Windows gaming. There is an increase in Mac/iOS gaming, but not at the expense of Windows gaming.

Ah, but there is... and it will be greater. As developers assure their titles can run on iOS and maybe even Android, they're going to drop Microsoft tech like a rock. It won't be an overnight process, but it will, and is happening right now. The future is very different from the past.

I am not claiming the Mac itself will be a dominant gaming platform any time soon, but just the fact that developers are dropping all of the infrastructure that Microsoft worked so long and hard to secure means the future market is wide open.

Yes, Windows and Mac/iOS gaming are both growing with zero signs of either one falling. Macs will get games by default just because of the iOS, and Mobile device gaming is a growing market, but it is a limited market, it doesn't encase the whole gaming market like Windows does, Tablet gaming is more gear towards casual games.

Right now they are different style games (more popular games mind you - casual social games will sell an order of magnitude more than "AAA" titles)

So as that continues to manifest itself, there will be fewer and fewer "hard core" games because the hardware and software needed to play them will be less prevalent. Most players will have hardware - even a tablet - that will solve nearly all of their gaming needs potential.

It's going to radically change high-end PC gaming forever.

Anyways, like I said, neither market is failing, or have any signs of if it failing, one doesn't need to fail in order for the other to succeed.

Tell you what, I'll take what you say serious, the moment real professionals in market analysis start agreeing with you.

It'll be too late by then. First, I am a real professional. Second, you have to understand more about the dynamics than most actually do - and be willing to take forward steps. Not live in the past.

Oh, and Balder's Gate Enhanced is coming to Windows

http://www.theverge.com/gaming/2012/3/23/2895827/baldurs-gate-ipad-enhanced-edition

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/116361-Beamdog-Boss-Reveals-More-About-Baldurs-Gate-Enhanced-Edition

https://twitter.com/#!/TrentOster

Confirmed and focusing on PC first, announcement for Ipad and Mac OSX came later. So yeah, not a good example of what you are trying to say.

Actually it's an excellent example. It was announced for the iPad first, the Mac second. In fact, there is still no announcement of any kind about a Windows version on the official site... odd, that: http://www.baldursgate.com/

I'm sure it will be, and I'm also sure it was written with the iOS platform in mind first, and will use no Microsoft proprietary technology. The future is happening.

Actually it's an excellent example. It was announced for the iPad first, the Mac second. In fact, there is still no announcement of any kind about a Windows version on the official site... odd, that: http://www.baldursgate.com/

Did you even read the quote I stated, It was stated on March 15th as focusing on the PC, with announcements for other platforms later. The IPad announcement came 1 week later after the initial announcement of the game.

Fact is, the PC version was the first known and confirmed version of the game.

Edited by Wolfeisberg

Did you even read the quote I stated, It was stated on March 15th as focusing on the PC, with announcements for other platforms later. The IPad announcement came 1 week later after the initial announcement of the game.

Fact is, the PC version was the first known and confirmed version of the game.

Sorry, not listed:

March 15:

http://www.baldursgate.com/news/2012/03/15/announcing-baldurs-gate-enhanced-edition/

No. dont waste time making it for Mac. get a real gaming rig for god sakes.

People do more... much more... than play game with their computers. And in fact, TOR isn't a game for "gamers". You're foolish if you bought your computer just for game.

Current Mac hardware can run the game on max settings, so... yeah. There's no defense for not supporting the Mac.

And more proof that you don't let facts get in your way. Read the quote from Trent Oster, as stated on March 15th, even have a link to it on his Twitter. Trent Oster has been the guy talking about this game, the guy in charge of the game. But he must be lying right? The webpage you show, don't state any platform, but the other additional platforms were announced a week or more later. Facts are facts, the PC version was the first and confirmed version of the game.

People do more... much more... than play game with their computers. And in fact, TOR isn't a game for "gamers". You're foolish if you bought your computer just for game.

Current Mac hardware can run the game on max settings, so... yeah. There's no defense for not supporting the Mac.

Yes there is, developer time vs amount of Mac gamers now I don't have the numbers but I am fairly sure EA/BW would have done some sort of information gathering way back when to make the choice to go Windows only. because its easier to code for one platform its faster to code for one platform.

Current Mac hardware can run the game on max settings thats true, but to get a Mac to do that you have to pay a decent amount more then to get a PC to do it. also your making it sound like all PC users just use there PC for gaming, when in fact they can do everything a Mac can do, and they do it for half the price.