Rage Juggernaut vs Fury Marauder

[[Note: this is from a mainly PvP perspective]]

So I've been playing a juggernaut (in addition to an AP Powertech) as my main since open beta (with years of non play in between) with my favorite spec today being Rage. The marauder never really appealed to me so in the years that I play I never bothered to make one. Also because most of the forum topics about "what should I play, marauder or juggernaut?" typically the reactions say 'go juggernaut, almost same damage, better survivability', 'marauder is far more difficult to play for almost no benefit' etc.

Last week I decided to use my free level boost to get a level 70 marauder. My first marauder ever. O...M...G..

Without ever playing this advanced class, I did really well in PvP (admittedly the experience with the Rage Juggernaut helps a lot). Took a little to adjust to the fury/rage mechanic and the many defensive abilities. And admittedly I'm comparing it at level 70 to my juggernaut at level 75, but already I can see how the Fury Marauder trumps the Rage Juggernaut in almost every way. Damage seems noticeable higher, with the added bonus of being able to debuff heals. The mobility is absolutely amazing! Defensively, the Marauder actually does better than the Juggernaut in PvP due to the vast amount of useful DCD's. Plus as a bonus you can actually escape unfavorable encounters in many situations. Not in the least, the Fury Marauder has quite a number of ways to gain immunity to CC!

The only things I miss from the Juggernaut really is the reflect, force push and the ability to protect the team with taunts.

I'm afraid that I cannot go back to my Rage Juggernaut anymore, because it really feels less in almost every way to its Marauder counterpart :(

Also because most of the forum topics about "what should I play, marauder or juggernaut?" typically the reactions say 'go juggernaut, almost same damage, better survivability', 'marauder is far more difficult to play for almost no benefit' etc.

I am not sure where you found such threads. Marauder is more difficult, yes, but it is absolutely a better class than juggernaut for PvP (including survivability). It is universally agreed upon and has been like that for years. Rage is just a worse version of Fury, there is not a thing it does better.

Edited by Equeliber

Rage has a few things over Fury, but overall (and especially in PvP) Fury outshines Rage massively. Basically your 'advantages' as Rage are:

1. Protection tools (taunts, guard, intercede)
  2. A push
  3. Reflect

But since you're often one of the main targets, those protection tools do very little, as they only help your teammates and not you. Reflect has its place and can be nice against specific opponents if well timed (reflecting a backstab + volatile substance from an Operative is absolutely amazing), but does nothing against melee attacks or dots, so you're still going to die. Fury has better defensives, predation, a get the hell out tool with Force Camo, and CC immunity. It's just better for PvP.

In PvE there's exactly one reason why you'd maybe want Rage over Fury and that's access to an armour debuff. If you find yourself in a group without and armour debuff, Rage could have a use there (but at that point just go Vengeance since it's almost always better anyway and brings the same armour debuff, or go AP Powertech).

Edited by AdjeYo
Oxford comma