Same gender relationships clarifications?

elexier

What server do you play on, Natashina? And what flavor is it (PvP, PvE, RP)? I always roll on RP servers because I do in fact roleplay, but also because I find the trolling much less prevalent. I have only ever seen phobic trolling on SWTOR once. :)

I'm on The Shadowlands now, PvE NA server. I haven't been playing quite as much on my 50 jugg(renamed to Natashina after the merge,) but look for the Legacy name Starsyn and really weird hours. At this point you'll probably find me on either K'ain(Commando) or Tynesa(Sniper.)

I have thought about rolling up a toon on your server for fun.

I'm an old-school D&D nerd, so I love a good rp session as well. I started when I was 8 and I'm turning 33 this weekend, so you can tell how much passion I have for it. That's part of the reason why I'm looking forward to SGRs so much. It can really open some cool opportunities for roleplay. :D

Edited by natashina

• Replies 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 sec i think i know what one, it was posted earlier (idk if its a page or 10 its been 3 days since i'v checked this thread lol) or i could be wrong, that would be nice, more stuff to read!

:) I seem to have found it:

i don't think anyone has mentioned it yet, but there is a video interview with gabe amatangelo! some very intresting info!
now... it's deffinetly NOT certainty at all.. but it gives some small glimmer of hope <3!

Off-topic, but a funny story I wanted to share with everyone. So last night, I was working on my Commando. He's in Coruscant atm, and I usually tune out any general chat while I'm questing. Anyhow, I was crafting in the Outlaw's Den when I noticed someone trying to troll in chat. It wasn't even good trolling, but rather sad. Amused, I took a minute to read. When no one responded to his/hers comments, they remarked that it was a sad thing that there was no real drama in ToR. They had tried the same thing on the Imp side, and got the same results. At least it was all spelled correctly. :rolleyes:

It said a lot to me about the level of maturity and dignity players in this game try to maintain in the light of such trolling.

Someone's sig on mmo-champ summed it up for me(edited slightly for language):

Arguing with a troll is like playing chess with a pigeon. No matter what you do or say, he will just knock over the pieces, take a crap on the board and strut around like he won the whole darn thing.

Which has nothing at all to do with EAWare still not giving us SGR's, talking about SGR's or acting like we exist at all other than to delete posts on the subject in any other section of the forums.

I'm just PRAYING that Bioware does include same gender relationships in Dragon Age 3: Inquisition. After how amazingly same sex friendly ME3 was, I would have thought for sure DA3 would, but after the lack of it or communication about it now I'm worried.

Given that same sex relationships have been a part of the Dragon Age franchise since Origins and David Gaider's vocal defense of all the DA2 LIs being available to either gender of Hawke...why in the world would you be worried that they won't be included in DA3? I'd be completely floored if they're not.

Given that same sex relationships have been a part of the Dragon Age franchise since Origins and David Gaider's vocal defense of all the DA2 LIs being available to either gender of Hawke...why in the world would you be worried that they won't be included in DA3? I'd be completely floored if they're not.

Possibly because with this game not having them in (as of yet) Bioware could be setting a worrying precedent? SGRA's in DA3... as a DLC you have to pay for.

Which has nothing at all to do with EAWare still not giving us SGR's, talking about SGR's or acting like we exist at all other than to delete posts on the subject in any other section of the forums.

I assure you I meant no offense, I was merely sharing a funny story, which is why I listed it as offtopic. ;)

If you check the overwhelming majority of my post history, they are about SGRAs, ideas on implementation, possible companions, ect. I also wrote(with help from several other posters) the SGR FAQ. It's saved as a document on my computer and it will get posted with the updates(such as Uluain's list from a couple of pages back) when the thread is locked and restarted. So I do take this quite seriously. However, I enjoy sharing the occasional off-topic funny story.

I don't argue at all about the handling of the SGRA information by the part of EA/BW devs and/or marketing heads. Poor is a serious understatement for the lack of information given to the mods and customer reps, but the word works in light of some of the more...offensive and strong language I use IRL. It is bad and uncalled for, without a doubt. The silence is getting to be rather insulting to many posters, including myself.

Edited by natashina

Possibly because with this game not having them in (as of yet) Bioware could be setting a worrying precedent? SGRA's in DA3... as a DLC you have to pay for.

SWTOR != Dragon Age. Dragon Age is an established franchise with a track record of s/s Romances run out of the Edmonton office. SWTOR is a 'new' franchise being run out of Austin.

I think trying to say because they weren't included from the start into SWTOR (which has, if I've heard correctly, outside influences going on that are not Bioware/EA, but LucasArts) that they'd remove it from Dragon Age is...stretching it. Especially, as another commenter noted, that they just put them more fully into the Mass Effect franchise.

I assure you I meant no offense, I was merely sharing a funny story, which is why I listed it as offtopic. ;)

I don't argue at all about the handling of the SGRA information by the part of EA/BW devs and/or marketing heads. Poor is a serious understatement for the lack of information given to the mods and customer reps, but the word works in light of some of the more...offensive and strong language I use IRL. It is bad and uncalled for, without a doubt. The silence is getting to be rather insulting to many posters, including myself.

Insulting was when they decided to separate romance options into straight/sgr before release. Since then it has evolved into disdainful and contemptuous.

SWTOR != Dragon Age. Dragon Age is an established franchise with a track record of s/s Romances run out of the Edmonton office. SWTOR is a 'new' franchise being run out of Austin.

I think trying to say because they weren't included from the start into SWTOR (which has, if I've heard correctly, outside influences going on that are not Bioware/EA, but LucasArts) that they'd remove it from Dragon Age is...stretching it. Especially, as another commenter noted, that they just put them more fully into the Mass Effect franchise.

This is my first Bioware game and I know very little about how the company itself is set up, I was unaware that there were different offices working (seemingly) wholly independent of one another and I apologise for the offense my ignorance of the subject has caused.

I was referencing same-sex romances to the ME3 ending debacle and how Bioware later released the extended story in a DLC patch (my husband plays ME3 as well as other games) and that if this game (SWTOR) releases same-sex romances as part of content one has to pay extra for (via the cash shop) then that might herald a worrying among players that such a thing would carry on into other games created by the company (whether this worry if justified or not). However you've noted that the offices are independent of each other so whatever happens to on game cannot affect another, so DA3 players can be expected to get their full story lines and options.

This is my first Bioware game and I know very little about how the company itself is set up, I was unaware that there were different offices working (seemingly) wholly independent of one another and I apologise for the offense my ignorance of the subject has caused.

Ah, okay, apologies then. :)

I was referencing same-sex romances to the ME3 ending debacle and how Bioware later released the extended story in a DLC patch (my husband plays ME3 as well as other games) and that if this game (SWTOR) releases same-sex romances as part of content one has to pay extra for (via the cash shop) then that might herald a worrying among players that such a thing would carry on into other games created by the company (whether this worry if justified or not).

The possibility of s/s Romances in SWTOR being a 'pay extra' option is still there, but comparing it to the ME3 Extended Cut is probably not a good one. In the latter case, the ME3 EC was released as a DLC in response to the fan outrage about the original ending, but despite it being labeled a DLC, it was also offered for free--they didn't charge for it.

This is just me, but I'm going to guess if s/s content is offered in SWTOR at a later date, it will be part of a patch, so that future patches/updates going forward will be based on that pre-existing change.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/119692-EA-Signs-On-to-GaymerCon

Seems this would be an ideal venue for an announcement. Or at the very least, it's a sure sign that this kind of thing is on EA's agenda.

Oh, there is no question of that. EA and BioWare are both leaders in the field as far as inclusiveness goes, which is why the undiluted heterosexism of SWTOR as it stands is so disappointing. They know better. "Oops, sorry, we'll get to it" a year ago was an unfortunate call. Not talking about it since, except for a half-minute crammed in at the tail end of the Guild Summit last March, is just plain oblivious to customer expectations and concerns.

BioWare knows better. They need to do better than this. They need to do something, stat.

And while GaymerCon would be a good venue to unveil this, that doesn't happen until August 2013, and if we're waiting that long I won't be here to see it.

And while GaymerCon would be a good venue to unveil this, that doesn't happen until August 2013, and if we're waiting that long I won't be here to see it.

Hell, if the Free2Play flops there might not be much a SWTOR left to make any announcements about. Now there's a cheery thought :rolleyes:

We all know that Bioware should know better, but I'm wondering if the suits over there know they should know better.

Coming back to the Gabe quote, while he seems uncertain of just exactly when, he does seems sure that SGRs are in fact in development, right now, close enough to done that he thinks it's in the not-too-distant future. That's been remarked on before, and I thought it bears repeating, but what interests me is that he mentions it, then immediately says "but I am about as far away from that end of things as one can get."

That's good and bad. Good, because even at a very different end of the development team, he knows it's happening. Bad, because this is the only guy we are hearing about this from, at all? Why are our updates so oblique, so indirect? If in fact this is coming, possibly with Makeb, why aren't we hearing about it already, from people who know what is going on?

Writers locked up in a padded room where their expansive imaginations can't damage the sane people?

It is... worrying that the most information we've had (Gabe's 'maybe Makeb') on this subject comes from neither the Community Team or someone who actually works with the applicable content. What that says to me is that the people who should be talking to us about this subject aren't allowed to: your gag order, Uluain.

We keep going round and round this same idea and, conspiracy theory though it may be, it seems to be gaining more credence with every turn. There's a slim hope that we may get more information after 1.4 drops live and they start trying to create a stir for the next content patch, but I am really starting to doubt Bioware's commitment to anything in this game except end-game PvE/PvP content and crap they can pile high in the cash shop. The spectre of Free2Play is going to forever loom over us as a community until we have absolute assurance that it is not going to adversely affect the game with Pay2Win and siphoned development. I'd like previews, I'd like excitement from the writing crew, I'd like actual involvement from the Community Team. What I expect is silence, silence and more silence. What the Community Team needs to realise is that my hopes and my expectations on this are different things, but I am really starting to think they can't make that distinction, or aren't willing to.

I really don't get where the idea that Lucas Arts are influencing this comes from. As has been stated before there is more than one precedent within the SW universe itself as well as both George Lucas' private donations and the Lucas Arts donations to support gay marriage. With all that in mind it seems highly unlikely that LA would be an outside influence causing any issue for the inclusion of SGRA's.

I really don't get where the idea that Lucas Arts are influencing this comes from. As has been stated before there is more than one precedent within the SW universe itself as well as both George Lucas' private donations and the Lucas Arts donations to support gay marriage. With all that in mind it seems highly unlikely that LA would be an outside influence causing any issue for the inclusion of SGRA's.

Indeed. Even if you are George Lucas, $50,000 isn't pocket change. LA is okay with it. EA is okay with it. BW is okay with it. The time & money ran out, and a decision was made which had extremely regrettable consequences. But what is icing this cake is that, although staunch in the face of pressure from social conservatives, BW still can't look us in the eye and talk about this. I think Joveth and Allison would be happy if they were allowed to send anything our way. We know developers like to generate enthusiasm for content, because they want to share their work.

I am guessing that the silence came out of a decision made awkwardly by a committee which couldn't decide how to handle this, made a call that isn't working, but is reluctant to admit a mistake or finding it much more difficult now to look at a solution. That's bad PR, guys. Telling us this demographic matters but not actually doing anything about it, and telling yourself the problem will solve itself when the content goes in is bad PR. Get in there, look at the problem, look at the stale stock answer that is all the Community Team has had to work with for a year now and earn your damn paycheck. Grrrr! :mad:

Edited by Uluain

a decision made awkwardly by a committee

Problem found. Committees, even if made up of people who know everything about public relations, are bound to make bad decisions or no decisions. It's a case of the system becoming independent of the people who work within in and then taking control: this is done this way because it is done this way and we can't change how it's done because this is how it's done.

As a side note, this topic has now passed half a million views over its six incarnations. Not necessarily germane, but I've been keeping track. I blame early exposure to a vampire puppet on a children's public television program. ;)

I always found Oscar a better role-model, for some reason. Probably because he had the sanest reactions to all the imaginary mammoths, OCD creatures of the night and aliens that showed up in that neighbourhood.

Before the dark times... before the Elmo.

Edited by Palar