The “Best View In SWTOR” Contest

DanielSteed

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Dev Post

Hey everyone!

There were a handful of good questions asked in this thread and it took some time to gather the proper responses.

Why can't players from certain countries take part in the contest?

Unfortunately, currently the contest is only open to those listed in the contest guidelines. However, we are looking into how we can expand into more countries in the future. Note that this is subject to local laws and regulations.

Can screenshots be taken from within strongholds, flashpoints, etc?

Strongholds, Flashpoints, and other instances that take place on the listed planets are acceptable. The same listed rules apply to these areas as screenshots taken in the open-world version of the planets.

For players with higher native resolutions than 1920x1080, how should they submit their images?

We are clarifying the guidelines to be "1920x1080 or higher resolution". As long as the submitted screenshots are 1920x1080 or above, that is acceptable on our end. Reminder, we will be editing the chosen submissions to a 4:3 ratio to best fit our Stronghold decoration template.

Can I take screenshots from out-of-bounds?

Even if a player is able to get into an out-of-bounds area by purely in-game means, we feel like that is not in the spirit of the competition as it is clearly not intended for players to be there. Screenshots taken in such a manner would be subject to disqualification.

Edited by DanielSteed

Hey everyone!

There were a handful of good questions asked in this thread and it took some time to gather the proper responses.

Why can't players from certain countries take part in the contest?

Unfortunately, currently the contest is only open to those listed in the contest guidelines. However, we are looking into how we can expand into more countries in the future. Note that this is subject to local laws and regulations.

Strongholds, Flashpoints, and other instances that take place on the listed planets are acceptable. The same listed rules apply to these areas as screenshots taken in the open-world version of the planets.

For players with higher native resolutions than 1920x1080, how should they submit their images?

We are clarifying the guidelines to be "1920x1080 or higher resolution". As long as the submitted screenshots are 1920x1080 or above, that is acceptable on our end. Reminder, we will be editing the chosen submissions to a 4:3 ratio to best fit our Stronghold decoration template.

Can I take screenshots from out-of-bounds?

Even if a player is able to get into an out-of-bounds area by purely in-game means, we feel like that is not in the spirit of the competition as it is clearly not intended for players to be there. Screenshots taken in such a manner would be subject to disqualification.

Thanks for the clarification, Dan.

WOOHOO! And thanks for replying :)

Thanks for the reply, though I'd still like to know WHY the country list was drafted as is. What were the sort of sticking points?....its not like we get a cash prize or something we'd have to declare in a tax return as benefit in kind.

Good luck to all who can enter it.

So, the prize is a stronghold deco that will also be available to other players at the Anniversary vendor?

Don't get me wrong, I'd love to be excited about this contest, but that seems... a lot less thrilling than it should be.

yes and no. You get credit and a special version of the deco

While the winners are credited outside of the game, they will receive something special in SWTOR; a gilded version of the screenshot they submitted! While the normal versions will be available to everyone via the 10-year Anniversary event vendor as soon as the event starts in December, the gilded versions will be distributed shortly after the event starts.

Thanks for the reply, though I'd still like to know WHY the country list was drafted as is. What were the sort of sticking points?....its not like we get a cash prize or something we'd have to declare in a tax return as benefit in kind.

Good luck to all who can enter it.

It doesn't matter if there is a cash prize involved. Different countries have different rules and regulations. And also why we don't get a comprehensive list of why some countries aren't allowed to participate. It would be long, tedious and wouldn't change anything.

It does look like they're going to look into ways to get more countries involved in contests, but it's not that simple to do just on the fly

It doesn't matter if there is a cash prize involved. Different countries have different rules and regulations. And also why we don't get a comprehensive list of why some countries aren't allowed to participate. It would be long, tedious and wouldn't change anything.

It does look like they're going to look into ways to get more countries involved in contests, but it's not that simple to do just on the fly

Well, if it was known that it was going to be restrictive on players maybe they could have come up with an idea that wasn't....especially for a ten year anniversary. I'd have been up for a one off in game event with rewards coming from that.

Something that wasn't known to be problematic. And before you respond I know its not the end of the world but just saying there are restrictions is a bit simplistic in my view. Not asking for a blow by blow account of why but its likely there is a common issue for most of the countries excluded.

Well, if it was known that it was going to be restrictive on players maybe they could have come up with an idea that wasn't....especially for a ten year anniversary. I'd have been up for a one off in game event with rewards coming from that.

Something that wasn't known to be problematic. And before you respond I know its not the end of the world but just saying there are restrictions is a bit simplistic in my view. Not asking for a blow by blow account of why but its likely there is a common issue for most of the countries excluded.

I agree with you. It would be nice if more people could be involved. And you're also probably right that most have a common issue. But if they were to respond about a specific or even a few specific countries, the can of worms would be then be open. And we all know what would happen next; more players would demand to know why their country wasn't allowed to participate. So sometimes the simple answer is the best answer.

It is the 10 year anniversary so I'm sure more things will be coming they haven't announced yet

Happy to answer questions! Neither your own character or other player characters can be within the screenshot.

No where? Not one pixel?

I get not having another player not being in the foreground or the subject of the screen shot and is easy enough to avoid. What if the player is a part of the back ground? Said player is far enough away to not be recognizable as a player? He/she happens to be running through the shot?

For example, Yavin can be busy at times and a challenge to not have someone in the background.

1. I'm finding it difficult how to line up the camera not to get my character in the shot, it seems it wants to get your character in the shot. So can you crop your character out?

2. When you eventually add more countries, please add Quebec, Ireland and Israel.

1. I'm finding it difficult how to line up the camera not to get my character in the shot, it seems it wants to get your character in the shot. So can you crop your character out?

2. When you eventually add more countries, please add Quebec, Ireland and Israel.

1. You cannot manipulate the image after taking it; not sure if cropping counts as manipulating it.

2. Nice try about Quebec.

No where? Not one pixel?

I get not having another player not being in the foreground or the subject of the screen shot and is easy enough to avoid. What if the player is a part of the back ground? Said player is far enough away to not be recognizable as a player? He/she happens to be running through the shot?

For example, Yavin can be busy at times and a challenge to not have someone in the background.

No altering, seems pretty straight forward as far as rules go. If you're really desperate to get the nodes out I recommend taking a character with that gathering skill along, that's what I've been doing.

As far as other players, I suppose part of photography is patience! Also picking non-peak times has helped me.

Just scroll up/zoom in so you are in first person view, that will remove your character from the screen.

I've got a quick question - The rules say graphics to very high or ultra, but for me when I use anti-aliasing on high or very high, all standing water and environmental effects (fire, waterfalls, and such) vanish completely.

From a quick Google, this does seem to be a known issue with certain cards and/or drivers, and the remedy given is to turn down anti-aliasing.

This being the case, I play with all settings maxed out with the exception of anti-aliasing which I set to off in order to avoid this issue. Are my screenshots still OK?

After falling off cliffs several times, exhaustion zone deaths (because Alt-Z & didn't notice I was dying), getting killed by world boss because I forgot to put name plates back and walked into him, and the humungous task of choosing which screenshots I thought were best for each location from the dozens I took, I finally submitted my entries. I don't expect to win but it was fun for the most part trying to think of locations that no-one else might. I noticed lots of people standing & looking out at one particular part of Korriban so expect lots of shots of that vista Devs! Tatooine was the hardest to choose from for me because there's not much other than sand, sand, sand, sand, two suns, sand, Tusken Raiders, sand :D The hardest area to screenshot a nice vista was Mek-Sha. Hopefully I found something a bit different there.

Suggestion - after the competition ends, have a thread so people can post the screenshots they did that don't win and/or they didn't enter because I know many will have put a lot of time and effort into this. Maybe I'll start that.

After falling off cliffs several times, exhaustion zone deaths (because Alt-Z & didn't notice I was dying), getting killed by world boss because I forgot to put name plates back and walked into him, and the humungous task of choosing which screenshots I thought were best for each location from the dozens I took, I finally submitted my entries. I don't expect to win but it was fun for the most part trying to think of locations that no-one else might. I noticed lots of people standing & looking out at one particular part of Korriban so expect lots of shots of that vista Devs! Tatooine was the hardest to choose from for me because there's not much other than sand, sand, sand, sand, two suns, sand, Tusken Raiders, sand :D The hardest area to screenshot a nice vista was Mek-Sha. Hopefully I found something a bit different there.

Suggestion - after the competition ends, have a thread so people can post the screenshots they did that don't win and/or they didn't enter because I know many will have put a lot of time and effort into this. Maybe I'll start that.

I’m struggling with Hutta myself!

Very excited to see the winners and would love to see as many submissions as people are willing to share.

I’m struggling with Hutta myself!

I was lucky to find somewhere on Hutta where there were no other players in my view as it's very popular! Not sure the screenshot I submitted for Hutta will be unique though.

Very excited to see the winners and would love to see as many submissions as people are willing to share.

Indeed. I'd love to see shots from people who had the patience to do jumps to get a good view. There's a screenshot I'd love to post based on the nutjobbery I did to get it - I didn't submit it as an entry because it didn't look quite right. Will wait until after the competition closes though as I don't want someone to steal my idea and get a better shot!! >.<

Edited by Sarova

I just wanted to point out that, from what I read, the laws in Québec regarding contests changed in June 2021. From now on, it shouldn't be a problem to include Québec in all your contests (with the rest of Canada), especially since your communications are already translated to French (the other criteria that could pose problem). So please let your legal team know for future contests. :-)

That being said, I'll have to keep my awesome Hutta shot for myself!

That being said, I'll have to keep my awesome Hutta shot for myself!

After the competition ends, if the Devs don't I'll start a thread for everyone to post their vista screenshots. If they run another competition like this, it will likely have a different set of planets, so there shouldn't be any issues with posting yours of Hutta. I'd love to see which areas people chose.

I have two planets left. I submitted the rest already. I plan to take my faves and make a desktop theme so I can enjoy them. I had fun trying to get pictures but realized I really need to upgrade my graphics card. I had to find the spot in lower setting, then change settings for the image. I would love to see every ones images.

After the competition ends, if the Devs don't I'll start a thread for everyone to post their vista screenshots. If they run another competition like this, it will likely have a different set of planets, so there shouldn't be any issues with posting yours of Hutta. I'd love to see which areas people chose.

Nice idea! I enjoyed the artistic challenge of the contest, trying to find great picture compositions while redoing the story, and I was so bummed when I realized I wasn't even allowed to participate. Would be fun to see how creative people got!

Anyone having problems after taking screenshots for a while on 1 character, then going to a different planet/phase (on that same character) but then screenshots stop working/saving to your HD anymore? (PrntScrn button does nothing)

The only thread i found about it was this old thread: https://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=228780 , as well as this other thread from 2018: https://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=953226

It's very frustrating though, since 1 of the ss's i need to take is inside a phase , but everytime i logout /restart the game pops me OUT of that phase. Then upon re-entry of the phase, the ss's stop working/saving again.

Edited by Nee-Elder
please BIOWARE fix this longstadning *screenshots* BUG ...please