Why oh why can I hurt other players if I am not PvP flagged?

_Darkstar

I play on a pvp server so i expect to be ganked but to the people trying to lure people to flag themselves involuntarily on a pve server

You're some of the most pathetic mmo players around

These kids are baddies who can't handle a pvp server so they get their kicks trying to harass pve players. It doesn't get much lower than that

Edited by lineschmidt

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I play on a pvp server so i expect to be ganked
How much has it happened to you in non-enemy-controlled areas (obviously, if you go to an enemy base you can expect to find enemies). Edited by sjmc

Name an MMO where catching an enemy player in an AoE, even if you were targeting an enemy with it first, does not throw you into PvP mode. Go ahead.

That's just how it works. If they're flagged, anyone and anything can and will do damage to them. If you do damage to someone, you become flagged.

world of warcraft is the first and fastest to come to mind

EDIT: Obviously if you want absolutely no PVP, then a PVP server is not for you. But if you don't mind "fair" PVP, you may wish to consider it.

Absolutely no PvP is the way I and many others in this thread play. PvP just isn't an element that adds any joy for me in a game where I seek to cooperate with people.

Why play when you can't have fun and relax after a long day on work?

The ones that abuse the bugged PvP system should get a warning on the 1st time, 7 day ban (all servers) on the 2nd, 14 day (all servers) ban on the 3rd, 30 (all servers) day ban on the 4th and permanently ban from all PvE servers on the 5th time.

Too harsh?

I don't think so. If someone is preventing me from having fun on a PvE server by force flagging me into PvP, then they shouldn't be allowed to have any fun either.

I'd ramp the permanent ban up to the 3rd time at least. Once I can almos accept ignorance. Once it's explained to them, if they do it again, it's not an accident.

Griefers add nothing to the game or community, and they cost more in lost subscriptions than they will ever pay in their own fees. Once their victims all quit, they'll be off to the next game and the damage will be done.

Edited by VorpalK

Hi everyone. Thank you all for your patience and reports. We wanted to post in this thread to let you know that we have made this change with patch 1.1.4, which is now live on Public Test Server! You can read the patch notes here.

o/''\o

General

Using abilities with indirect targeting (such as area of effect abilities) will no longer cause players to be flagged for PvP if a PvP-flagged player from the opposing faction is within the ability’s range, and the ability will have no effect on the PvP-flagged player.

I love you. Thank you , Thank you AmberGreen.

There is also the direct attack exploit they use as well.

Where they attack a mob that you have aggroed and if you or your companion then attack that target you are instaflagged. Any info on that yet ?

Edited by HanoverFist

Hi everyone. Thank you all for your patience and reports. We wanted to post in this thread to let you know that we have made this change with patch 1.1.4, which is now live on Public Test Server! You can read the patch notes here.

o/''\o

Nice to see Bioware listened to PvE players for once.

Name an MMO where catching an enemy player in an AoE, even if you were targeting an enemy with it first, does not throw you into PvP mode. Go ahead.
Wow. Rift. Everquest.

That's just how it works. If they're flagged, anyone and anything can and will do damage to them. If you do damage to someone, you become flagged.
No, that's generally the opposite of how it works.

o/''\o

Thank you!! Thank you!! Thank you!!

I'll send over a big batch of internet-cookies asap to you guys :p

A few things:

1) What about beneficial AOE spells, such as buffs, AOE group heals, or AOE area spells (e.g. sorc purple goo)? Will those not affect flagged allies if you are not first flagged yourself?

2) Is there a way to turn this flagging "protection" off if we don't want it?

3) Conversely, is there a way to also have a setting that prevents you from flagging yourself even if you try to cast a direct damage (or heal) on a flagged target?

The issue with #3 is that tab targeting in the middle of a bunch of mobs can accidentally tab you onto an enemy flagged player if you aren't careful.

Edited by HarvardAce

If you see flagged players you should be paying attention and acting appropriately. I see no issue with this. If you start casting AoE's with them around, you're making a bad decision. They're hanging around flagged because they want PvP. If you don't, then don't hit them. Simple. I'm sorry but it's PvP and he's free to flag if he wants to, just as you're free to pay attention to what the heck you're doing and smartly avoid him.

The OP pointed out a bug or oversight. I've seen this happen to my char 2x already on various occasions. At times when the PVP message comes up in yellow text I check around to see if anything is around to get me. None! I sent out a ticket on both occasion.

Regardless of this feature, this is in a PVE server where DESIGNATED PVP AREA can be located, Ie: Tatooine Pvp area, Nar Shadaa, etc.. You should not be flagged in regular PVE areas.

This is not an Attention Deficit problem, this is more of a Game Design problem/Bug.

Edited by Strayjack

A few things:

1) What about beneficial AOE spells, such as buffs, AOE group heals, or AOE area spells (e.g. sorc purple goo)? Will those not affect flagged allies if you are not first flagged yourself?

Good question; I'd expect it to work the same way, but it's hard to know for sure.

you can type /pvp on I thnk

3) Conversely, is there a way to also have a setting that prevents you from flagging yourself even if you try to cast a direct damage (or heal) on a flagged target?

Doubtful.

The issue with #3 is that tab targeting in the middle of a bunch of mobs can accidentally tab you onto an enemy flagged player if you aren't careful.
I think your only option is to "be more careful".

A few things:

About 1 & 3, not sure, wasnt mentioned hopefully we will hear more before it is implemented.

About 2 - If you are on e PvE server why would you want this ability? Really I would like to know. If on a PvE server and you want to PvP go do WZs or goto Ilum. Otherwise re-roll on a PvP server.

o/''\o

Thank you so very much! This game isn't perfect, but you're listening to our feedback and reacting quite quickly in a lot of cases. That makes me a very happy customer!

Thank goodness!

I dare say a few of the PvP griefers (note, I'm *not* calling all PvPers griefers with that statement, I'm referring to people who try to force players who don't *want* to pvp into doing so as griefers, as they are) will be sulky about it... but tough.

Let them go and find someone who actually wants to duel them, rather than interrupting other people's quests with their excess testosterone.

Thank you Bioware.

o/''\o

Excellent! thanks very much!

Edit: this happened a LOT earlier than I was expecting it!

Edited by VorpalK

About 2 - If you are on e PvE server why would you want this ability? Really I would like to know. If on a PvE server and you want to PvP go do WZs or goto Ilum. Otherwise re-roll on a PvP server.

Really, the reason for turning the protection off is only if the restriction also applies to friendly buffs/heals. If I'm a healer, I may want the protection from flagging off, knowing that if my groupmate flags himself via some method, it is also going to flag me, but at least I won't be pounding on my heal button wondering why he's not getting heals all of a sudden while his health is rapidly dropping.

For offensive purposes, it probably doesn't make sense to turn that protection off -- if you do want to PVP you'll likely start out with either a direct damage spell or you can just flag yourself and then cast an AOE.

o/''\o

Thank you kindly :D