Class Changes: Rage Juggernaut / Focus Guardian

EricMusco

• Dev Post

Hey folks,

Below you will find the changes coming to Rage and Focus in Game Update 5.5.

Note: All changes below are currently in development and are subject to change before being released.

Juggernaut

• The damage done by Chilling Scream due to the Piercing Chill utility has been reduced by 60%

Rage

• Force Lash now deals 100% more damage
  • The bonus critical chance given by Brutality to Vicious Throw and Furious Strike has been increased from 5% to 10%

Guardian

• The damage done by Freezing Force due to the Persistent Chill utility has been reduced by 60%

Focus

• Force Lash now deals 100% more damage
  • The bonus critical chance given by Swift Slash to Dispatch and Concentrated Slice has been increased from 5% to 10%

DevNotes: Chilling Scream / Freezing Force was doing too much damage with the Piercing Chill / Persistent Chill utility. It was being used as a single-target rotational ability when its intended use was multi-target AOE, so we reduced the damage it deals with Piercing Chill / Persistent Chill. To make up for the DPS loss, we increased the damage of Force Lash by 100%. Additionally, we increased the critical chance on two key abilities through a passive to give the discipline some additional damage potential and bring them in line with the DPS target.

-eric

If the issue is that an AoE attack has been found beneficial in a single target rotation, why not give Focus spec a viable single target attack? Replacing 8k elemental damage with 800 energy damage is not an appropriate response. In addition you have greatly reduced our group/mob/multi-target attack. Focus/Rage spec already struggle to be a relevant build in comparison to Vig, look at parse distributions to prove I'm wrong (http://parsely.io/parser/leaderboard/guardian/all/2500000/all/live/0/) and see how many Focus spec are in that listing.

Thank you for crippling an already under performing build.

Sincerely,

Adote, The Ebon Hawk

• Dev Post
Any update for when you'll start tackling utilities?

Because it sort of looks like you've started.

Good question!

Game Update 5.5 will mark the end of the primary balance changes to DPS and HPS as we outlined in the original post around balance targets. I will be posting the remaining 5.5 Class changes over the next few days (into next week).

Game Update 5.6 will be where we begin adjusting utilities. This is also where we would begin making any additional tweaks to balance as needed for Classes that are over // underperforming. Hope that answers your question.

Thanks.

-eric

Good question!

Game Update 5.5 will mark the end of the primary balance changes to DPS and HPS as we outlined in the original post around balance targets. I will be posting the remaining 5.5 Class changes over the next few days (into next week).

Game Update 5.6 will be where we begin adjusting utilities. This is also where we would begin making any additional tweaks to balance as needed for Classes that are over // underperforming. Hope that answers your question.

Thanks.

-eric

Can we hope that you'll be working on the most urgent one first ? There have been several post since the release of 5.0 (more than ten months already ! :eek: ) where peoples asked to rework utility for some specific class like Merc or Sniper. These issues have pretty much ruined PvE and PvP (S8 Ranked). I think peoples would be more than happy to see these matters taken seriously and quickly. ;)

Hope that answers your question.

Thanks.

-eric

That does answer my question, thank you.

Speaking of utilities; is there anything a player can do to help with the upcoming utility changes, specifically, there are a handful of utilities which don't work correctly or not exactly as the tool tips describe...

...is there a place we can post screens or videos or anything related to our experiences with utilities? With regard to this, will 5.6 also be addressing some bug fixes? If you have that information available.

Good question!

Thanks.

-eric

so you'll change utilities in november. after 11months and 6.0 surely 2 month after max.

so amazing..:rolleyes: a full year totally ruined.

yeah..thanks.

Edited by Thaladan

I think peoples would be more than happy to see these matters taken seriously and quickly. ;)

Whoever is in charge of combat seriously needs to be fired. The quality and cadence of this work is what I would expect from a ramshackle noname game studio, not a big name like Bioware or Star Wars.

Hang your head in shame combat "team" the game would have been better in maintence mode than this dumpster fire called 5.0

• Dev Post
That does answer my question, thank you.

Speaking of utilities; is there anything a player can do to help with the upcoming utility changes, specifically, there are a handful of utilities which don't work correctly or not exactly as the tool tips describe...

...is there a place we can post screens or videos or anything related to our experiences with utilities? With regard to this, will 5.6 also be addressing some bug fixes? If you have that information available.

Absolutely! I would make a new thread in the bug reports forum that compiles any of those issues. I will make sure the team is aware.

-eric

Absolutely! I would make a new thread in the bug reports forum that compiles any of those issues. I will make sure the team is aware.

-eric

Does this also apply to translation issue ? I've seen numerous times some bad translation for the French client, not only with utility but also with some lines and ability tooltip.

Good question!

Thanks.

-eric

Eric,

To a humble software engineer such as myself, there appears to be an excessively long waiting time to make seemingly small changes around DPS/HPS balancing. Can you shed some light on what's going on behind the scenes that has led to these changes being spread across multiple patches?

Since you mentioned tweaking utilities, are there any concerns that utility changes might unbalance the DPS/HPS targets again?

-J

Good question!

Thanks.

-eric

Trauma Regulators and DPS builds with Guard

-eric

Be sure to take a look at the leap bugs, that is, leaps either

• Fail to move the player at all
  • Only move the player after a significant time delay (several seconds or more)
  • Only move the player partway to the target
  • If the target is at the top of a ledge facing the player, the player is moved to just in front of the ledge - i.e. midair, which just causes them to fall down again

This stuff is much more likely to happen if there are obstacles or raised terrain between the player and the target.

-eric

Consider pls creating a special thread where players can provide their feedback specifically about specs which became pretty useless (esp in pvp) after new class changes appeared. Some of them such as carnage mara,viru sniper,concealment agent are NOT being played by player today since other specs are outperforming them....

Well they've ruined Rage I'm afraid. We lacked AOE to start off with (after the nerf to Smash) and chilling Scream somewhat changed that but now we're stuck with the pathetic sweeping slash that does nothing.

I guess my friends was right I doubt I'll renew my subscription because this game is starting to suck... I held on because of faith in Keith but it just seems like a backhand shuffle talk about kill the joy out of a class.

I do understand change but honestly I'm not going to keep slashing to kill off multiple enemies I could do it quicker by hitting each target individually.

I'm not going to state chilling Scream was a joy because it just felt like a half baked idea!

Although you hit once and let it tick while you do your rotation which was ideal when it compares to sweeping slash you've actually got to waste resources and time.

But if you was to then compare used resources and time with another ability including the damage it leaves sweeping slash where it has always been a wasted utility and ability that has gathered dust.

Should of changed the utility to an AOE Force Choke and/or make the Force Crush (Kinect dmg ^3 seconds) spread with Smash.

At least you could actually see obvious numbers in which an ability outputs/spreads.

Edited by DarthSealth