Server Merge Discussion Thread

EricMusco

Because people have google and search for "RP servers on SWTOR" and are pointed to Ebon Hawk and Progenitor. And who is to say there wouldn't be people on the TRE and Harbinger who'd want to try out RP when it does come to them in a megaserver or server merge? They would be new to RP but surely the RP community is not that elitist to consider themselves above teaching new people how to RP? They might not have engaged into RP because of the effort barrier that would be going to a RP server and the transferring issues, but if it comes to their server through a merge they might try. Also, new players who are interested in RP would be able to go to only one server so the amount of people increases, surely you understand that?

They are also pointed to Begeren Colony. Nothing is stopping people on TRE and Harbinger from trying out RP now... oh, wait, except the trolling in gen chat any time someone asks a question about it. Who is to say that trolling will suddenly vanish once a megaserver is formed? New players interested in RP are already going where the RP is, according to what you just said, so changing the location doesn't suddenly increase the number of new players interested in RP, surely you understand that?

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So, your answer is to forcibly move players who have been on an RP server with a respectful community, possibly for years, into a server that also contains the RP intolerant, toxic cesspool community that currently inhabits Harbinger?

If you choose to believe that will make the RP'ers feel very welcome and foster a larger RP community, I hve some prime real estate on Alderaan to sell you.

Oh as if the RP community is so holy and righteous, guilds and people being veritable serpents to one another over the smallest of things. The swtor-rp forums on Enjin constantly had rp'ers bully one another because their egos were stepped on over truly the most silly of things. Maybe that was just the Progenitor, but the elitism and snobbist behaviour was very strong in the community and I doubt it was an isolated case. Rp'ers can be quite toxic themselves as well, so don't potray the RP community as the sole victim here.

Megaserver is the only answer or way that can help this game due to the wasteland servers that are traps for players not knowing any better.

Not true.

Another option is to provide more information, so that players can "know better" and make an informed decision.

Something like:

NOTE----there are no PVP specific servers as all servers have PVE instances and PVP instances.

Harbinger--Highest population server, but most toxic community

Ebon Hawk--Highest population East Coast server with a large RP presence

Jedi Covenant--medium population with a respectful community

Shadowlands--medium population with a respectful community

Bergeren Colony--low population server with a respectful community

Jung Ma--very low population server

Pot5--very low population server

etc.

They are also pointed to Begeren Colony. Nothing is stopping people on TRE and Harbinger from trying out RP now... oh, wait, except the trolling in gen chat any time someone asks a question about it. Who is to say that trolling will suddenly vanish once a megaserver is formed? New players interested in RP are already going where the RP is, according to what you just said, so changing the location doesn't suddenly increase the number of new players interested in RP, surely you understand that?

One server, one place to go to, new rp'ers will end up in the RP community even in a meagserver. It's working just fine in ESO which has a megaserver and a thriving RP community. And as if there are not trolls on Progenitor already, with a megaserver the trolls on TRE and Harbinger will be simply forced to swallow the presence of RPers and vice versa. One will ignore the other and both will be able to coexist.

One server, one place to go to, new rp'ers will end up in the RP community even in a meagserver. It's working just fine in ESO which has a megaserver and a thriving RP community. And as if there are not trolls on Progenitor already, with a megaserver the trolls on TRE and Harbinger will be simply forced to swallow the presence of RPers and vice versa. One will ignore the other and both will be able to coexist.

Ignore does not work. One method of trolling that has been documented on these forums is using the largest mount the troll has available to them and parking it right in the middle of a group of RPers. Emotes are also used to troll and are still visible even when the troll has been ignored. Both of these things have been done to me personally, so I can attest to the claims made by others that these forms of trolling do exist and are not stopped simply by "ignoring."

I understand that nothing except a "megaserver" will satisfy you and and that you are, at best, grasping at straws in a vain attempt to justify your refusal to consider any other option.

And I could say exactly the same about you, so don't blame me for exhibiting behaviour you yourself are displaying just as much.

The toxic community on Harbinger has demonstrated itself to be incapable of accepting, tolerating or even ignoring RP'ers for YEARS. What makes you think they will suddenly change and that RP'ers will suddenly find acceptance with a community that has persecuted them for YEARS?

I'm not an RP'er, but unlike some, I do recognize and understand their concerns.

And nothing is stopping other guilds or players who want higher population servers from doing the same to move to a higher population server. They are CHOOSING to stay where they over being on a more populated server.

I wonder why that is if merges and transfers are so wonderful.

Sure there is - it is a huge cost and potentially permanent loss of some things that are just not available in the game anymore. I am the GM of a large guild 900+ toons both factions and fully unlocked FS, GB and HQ on both. Server merges need to happen as soon as they get all the migration issues resolved. This is an MMO... not the "lets see if more than 5 people are on the fleet today" game.

There has been plenty of time for people on both sides to voice their concerns (both pros and cons)... it is time for them to take action or at least come out and say wth they are planning on doing. Keeping people in the dark as we watch the populations dwindle is ridicules, demoralizing and callus.

Now, imagine there is a megaserver, 2 USA

I don't know how megaservers work (is it literally one location, or separate physical locations that just appear to the user to be a single server?) but why 2? Isn't the ping across the US like 100 ms? Keep it west/mid-west so APAC isn't as screwed as going to east coast and get everyone together. Keeping any split doesn't address the issue.

Ignore does not work. One method of trolling that has been documented on these forums is using the largest mount the troll has available to them and parking it right in the middle of a group of RPers. Emotes are also used to troll and are still visible even when the troll has been ignored. Both of these things have been done to me personally, so I can attest to the claims made by others that these forms of trolling do exist and are not stopped simply by "ignoring."

As someone who has rp'ed themselves for 5 years in this game another 4 prior to that on star wars themed forums I know how trollers work. However, I have found myself that ignoring worked best always, because eventually they'll grow bored if not acknowledged and move on to something else. But if you acknowledge them, tell them to go away, show and display to fear them then yes they will be fed and persist.

Also, sorry to say it but it sounds somewhat funny... the entire RP community shuddering and fearing a player will stand in their midst with their biggest mount. It's a bit comical and I don't mean it in a harmful way of course but the image is somewhat funny. But it's exactly what fuels and feeds the trolls, they know you fear them so they do their trolling because they know they have the power to influence you with fear.

The toxic community on Harbinger has demonstrated itself to be incapable of accepting, tolerating or even ignoring RP'ers for YEARS. What makes you think they will suddenly change and that RP'ers will suddenly find acceptance with a community that has persecuted them for YEARS?

I'm not an RP'er, but unlike some, I do recognize and understand their concerns.

But how conveniently you ignore the things I said about rp'ers and their community being toxic and a cesspit as well... you would be thinking differently if you had seen what I had seen and experienced on the swtor-rp forums...

As do I... a possible solution:

Their own instance like PVP/PVE, their own chat channel and the ignore option works with the exception that it needs to ignore by legacy and not just the name.

Their own instance like PVP/PVE, their own chat channel and the ignore option works with the exception that it needs to ignore by legacy and not just the name.

A perfect and reasonable solution that would work, but no the naysayers have to persist because that solution doesn't include their own server. To anything that doesn't include that they'll say "it won't work" without even having considered it or thought "let's try it out!".

Well I make videos and I done the worst US ones and just today done a tour of some of the worst EU servers showing the game is not healthy on certain server types and Megaservers are what this game needs if you think other wise you really need to think about the facts of SWTOR and it's servers.

But how conveniently you ignore the things I said about rp'ers and their community being toxic and a cesspit as well... you would be thinking differently if you had seen what I had seen and experienced on the swtor-rp forums...

I find it ironic that you claim to be an RP'er yourself , but when people started to blow holes in your platitudes that everything would be fine and dandy and that RP'ers would find a welcome home on a "megaserver", you decry RP'ers as a toxic cesspit.

There is a difference. You will always find toxic people no matter what but when a server gains that reputation, there is a reason. People you can ignore, a server is a bit difficult to put on ignore. While you can say not everyone is toxic on Harbinger, the reputation of the server is there for a reason and until that behavior gets changed you will have people hesitating to want anything to do with that server.

Sure there are some rp that are pains in the necks but a person or person(s) is easier to ignore than a server, don't you think.

I have found a solution to dealing with Roleplayers that want a specific style of roleplay, and that is saying well that is your style and I wish you well and then I roleplay with people that have the same style as I do. Not every roleplayer is going to mesh with another one. Each person or persons have their own style and there is nothing wrong with that. I just move on and find a group I can roleplay with.

Edited by casirabit

Well I make videos and I done the worst US ones and just today done a tour of some of the worst EU servers showing the game is not healthy on certain server types and Megaservers are what this game needs if you think other wise you really need to think about the facts of SWTOR and it's servers.

Many servers are indeed dead, the health of this game indeed having plummeted severely. Thanks to the Rp'ers that may continue to be the case because they will shout and scream in their refusal to try out a server merge just so that the devs will have to look at another solution which will not cure the game's illness.

As has been noted previously, and acknowledged by some of the pro server merge contigent, a separate instance will NOT work, despite the claims of some of those who covet a "megaserver".

It may take some work, but this thread is chock full of reasons why a separate instance will not work, even if some would choose to ignore those reasons and wish they had never been brought to light.

I find it ironic that you claim to be an RP'er yourself , but when people started to blow holes in your platitudes that everything would be fine and dandy and that RP'ers would find a welcome home on a "megaserver", you decry RP'ers as a toxic cesspit.

Oh but I don't decry them to be that based on what was said in this thread. Do you want to see what the threads were filled with on swtor-rp? How people ridiculed one another, bullied one another and said very harmful things to one another just to make the other feel miserable? I'll gladly show you!

As a sidenote, you attempting to "blow holes in my platitudes" is not the same as actually proving my arguments and points wrong. It is an attempt, one of the first lessons you are taught in RP: your character always attempts something against another player but whether you actually succeed is only the question.

There is a difference. You will always find toxic people no matter what but when a server gains that reputation, there is a reason. People you can ignore, a server is a bit difficult to put on ignore. While you can say not everyone is toxic on Harbinger, the reputation of the server is there for a reason and until that behavior gets changed you will have people hesitating to want anything to do with that server.

Sure there are some rp that are pains in the necks but a person or person is easier to ignore than a server, don't you think.

Don't forget the numbers of people who have already given up everything to move away from the toxic cesspool that is Harbinger.

Some people want to just force them back into that cesspool. That will work out well.

As has been noted previously, and acknowledged by some of the pro server merge contigent, a separate instance will NOT work, despite the claims of some of those who covet a "megaserver".

It may take some work, but this thread is chock full of reasons why a separate instance will not work, even if some would choose to ignore those reasons and wish they had never been brought to light.

Nearly all RP guilds are working with the Enjin forums and communicate with their players daily on that platform. Why not give the instances a password that you have to enter to be able to get into the instance. RP guilds could amongst themselves settle a password and share that with other roleplayers through Enjin. A new player comes in and has been accepted by a guild after their elaborate application process (they are most of the time trust me on that one) they are given the password to enter the RP instance. When a troller learns the password? No problem! While SWTOR-RP can be a cesspit they have an excellent mod team that can agree upon a new password and send it along to the guild leaders who in turn share it with their guilds.

It would require Bioware to reach out to the mods of the SWTOR-RP Enjin forums and give them the right to alter a password ingame like that, but since it is possible with chat channels why not do the same with an RP instance?

Edited by Ylliarus

It will not work because of dreaded trolls - am I right?

Those things I mentioned will solve 99% of a RP merge issue. Proposing a troll's behavior as the norm is ridicules and you know it. Not everyone will get on a "large mount", travel to a RP instance and find someone to sit on their "safe space." To propose that this reason alone should merit a complete shutdown of the conversation is equally ridicules.

People can be reported, ignored and any other feature currently available to RPs on RP servers. They could have better reporting tools for trolls however. Example: After "X" amount of complaints, your legacy can no longer travel to that instance. You will have to agree to those terms before you travel there.

If someone wants to troll a RPr it IS going to happen. But trying to make it out like that is the goal of a large portion of the server and there are no solutions is asinine.

Also, chat bubbles need to be implemented for role players... just sayin.

It will not work because of dreaded trolls - am I right?

Those things I mentioned will solve 99% of a RP merge issue. Proposing a troll's behavior as the norm is ridicules and you know it. Not everyone will get on a "large mount", travel to a RP instance and find someone to sit on their "safe space." To propose that this reason alone should merit a complete shutdown of the conversation is equally ridicules.

People can be reported, ignored and any other feature currently available to RPs on RP servers. They could have better reporting tools for trolls however. Example: After "X" amount of complaints, your legacy can no longer travel to that instance. You will have to agree to those terms before you travel there.

If someone wants to troll a RPr it IS going to happen. But trying to make it out like that is the goal of a large portion of the server and there are no solutions is asinine.

Also, chat bubbles need to be implemented for role players... just sayin.

Very much agreed, the things you say are a very reasonable solution that would work fine in a server merge for the RP community. Adding a password to the RP instance like we have passwords for channels could be an extra layer of security to that.

And yes please, a return of chat bubbles is needed! I remember one time there was a big event on Dromund Kaas with 30 - 40 peope... man you couldn't keep it with the chat due to all the emotes!

Edited by Ylliarus

Nearly all RP guilds are working with the Enjin forums and communicate with their players daily on that platform. Why not give the instances a password that you have to enter to be able to get into the instance. RP guilds could amongst themselves settle a password and share that with other roleplayers through Enjin. A new player comes in and has been accepted by the guild they are given the password to enter the RP instance. When a troller learns the password? No problem! While SWTOR-RP can be a cesspit they have an excellent mod team that can agree upon a new password and send it along to the guild leaders who in turn share it with their guilds.

It will be all sunshine and roses. If a "troll" manages to "crack the code", the new password will be instantaneously sent to all RP'ers on the "megaserver", and the "troll" will be instantly removed from the RP instance. Yeah, right.

I'm sure that while many RP guilds may use the Enjin forums, I'm sure that not all do, and that doesn't take into account those RP'ers who may not be in an "RP guild".

Even if BW chose to implement your "suggestion", it would not be sufficient.

The troll would have to reported. Then, a GM would have to investigate determine if a new password is needed, and if needed, generate that new password. then it would need to be sent to the appropraite GM's (with the hopes that all GM's get it). Then the GM has to actually receive that password, which could be days depending on how often they log in or check e-mail. That wonderful process you "suggest" could take days or even a week or more, meanwhile locking out any potential new RP'ers from even trying to RP without first finding a guild, as well as those RP'ers who have to wait for the new password.

By that time, the troll's damage will have been done, and they will have had all that time to continue wreaking havoc.

Let's not forget how easy it would be for a troll to join an "RP guild" on an alt or second account, just to get the password, leading to even more havoc and a never ending cycle.

Let's cause the RP'ers even more inconvenience, and make it easier for them to be trolled and griefed. That will go over well with the RP'ers.

How would you like it if every time you tried to log into the game, your password was changed and you may have to wait a week or more for BW to send you that new password?

Also, sorry to say it but it sounds somewhat funny... the entire RP community shuddering and fearing a player will stand in their midst with their biggest mount. It's a bit comical and I don't mean it in a harmful way of course but the image is somewhat funny. But it's exactly what fuels and feeds the trolls, they know you fear them so they do their trolling because they know they have the power to influence you with fear.

Strawman much? Nowhere in this thread has anyone from the RP community stated they shudder because of trolls or fear them. Every single player in this game has an absolute right to play the game without being harassed. Period. What the trolls are doing with their mounts is a form of harassment. I find it interesting you're resorting to insulting the entire RP community (of which you claim to be a part). When your "argument" resorts to personal attacks it means you've lost.