Australian server transfer in LATE April!

melsione

Oh, my... What a fiasco. I would have thought it was obvious that you (BioWare) must cater to your existing customers first. Why open the servers if your most devoted Oceanic players can't move to them? In two month's time they'll all very likely be required to change their names because new players will have gotten first pick.

My sympathies to the existing Oceanic players. I hope your next MMO treats you better.

Protip: Create a character and reserve your name.

• Replies 532
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am glad they do not allow Aussies to transfer off to the Asian Pacific servers until the end of April, we need them as long as possible to mitigate some of the few high population servers in the U.S from going down to low pop with the rest of them.

No it doesn't

It's a case of what one hand giveth, the other taketh away.

"Australasian servers in an MMO!"

"...but no characters transfers for two months. Also, we've got this whole legacy system that encourages you to stay one server. Enjoy!"

Ugh.

Hello everyone. I can absolutely understand the frustrations expressed here, and I appreciate that for the most part, you're being constructive in your comments. Here's a little more insight into the situation.

The character transfer system is being actively worked on by the development team. It's a large, complex project, made more complicated by the Legacy System - and it has to work perfectly. As always, it is not the only task the team as a whole is undertaking, but it's a priority. It has not been deliberately delayed, nor is it being 'held back' for any reason. As you know, the first stage of the system will be a one-off, optional transfer for those who are based in the regions defined in our FAQ. At some point after that, we'll bring a more fully-featured character transfer system online for all to use.

I can understand the frustration of those of you who have been playing on the US servers and waiting for transfers. We know your enthusiasm and excitement for the game - you wouldn't have taken the steps you did to get the game earlier than the official launch if you weren't enthusiastic. We're working as hard as we can to get the system in place. If we could have brought it online earlier, we would have. However, priorities post-launch had to be directed towards the game itself. The team's been working flat-out to improve the game, including bug fixes and additional content.

When we announced our launch territories last year we knew many more fans were excited to play The Old Republic. That's why we moved quickly to launch in Australia, New Zealand, Hong Kong and Singapore, with more territories being lined up for future launches. Our primary focus when launching in any new territory has to be to reach more players. Ultimately, that's best for the continuing success of the game. We want everyone who wishes to play on the new servers to be able to do so, hence character transfer being offered. With that said, in this case we felt it was important to get the game into the hands of new players as soon as possible. That, combined with our post-launch development priorities, meant that character transfer did not make our launch date for these territories.

The development team remains committed to delivering a robust character transfer system for all, with our first priority being for Asia-Pacific players. If we can bring the system to you earlier than expected, we will, but for now we’re aiming towards late April.

Hello everyone. I can absolutely understand the frustrations expressed here, and I appreciate that for the most part, you're being constructive in your comments. Here's a little more insight into the situation.

The character transfer system is being actively worked on by the development team. It's a large, complex project, made more complicated by the Legacy System - and it has to work perfectly. As always, it is not the only task the team as a whole is undertaking, but it's a priority. It has not been deliberately delayed, nor is it being 'held back' for any reason. As you know, the first stage of the system will be a one-off, optional transfer for those who are based in the regions defined in our FAQ. At some point after that, we'll bring a more fully-featured character transfer system online for all to use.

I can understand the frustration of those of you who have been playing on the US servers and waiting for transfers. We know your enthusiasm and excitement for the game - you wouldn't have taken the steps you did to get the game earlier than the official launch if you weren't enthusiastic. We're working as hard as we can to get the system in place. If we could have brought it online earlier, we would have. However, priorities post-launch had to be directed towards the game itself. The team's been working flat-out to improve the game, including bug fixes and additional content.

When we announced our launch territories last year we knew many more fans were excited to play The Old Republic. That's why we moved quickly to launch in Australia, New Zealand, Hong Kong and Singapore, with more territories being lined up for future launches. Our primary focus when launching in any new territory has to be to reach more players. Ultimately, that's best for the continuing success of the game. We want everyone who wishes to play on the new servers to be able to do so, hence character transfer being offered. With that said, in this case we felt it was important to get the game into the hands of new players as soon as possible. That, combined with our post-launch development priorities, meant that character transfer did not make our launch date for these territories.

The development team remains committed to delivering a robust character transfer system for all, with our first priority being for Asia-Pacific players. If we can bring the system to you earlier than expected, we will, but for now we’re aiming towards late April.

I know it's most likely not going to get a response. But I am an Australian player- can you confirm that I will still be eligible for the character transfers if I cancel my account until late april, or whether I'm expected to maintain an active subscription until that date.

Edited by Stealthy_Monkey

Can't say I'm entirely happy about the sudden news but I understand the challenges. Thing is, I don't even have a character at 50, or 25 for that matter. I have about 6 characters around level 18 - 23 and haven't even done anything towards the legacy business. I know people will say to just reroll and start over but I find that difficult to do since I'm particular about names, character looks etc.

Is there any way transfers like mine could happen earlier?

Edited by muzzington

And we're shafted at the last minute again.

Seriously, what's going on? How can this be thought of as okay? Tearing the Oceanic community in half again.

Actucally if you would of waited for the Oceanic servers to launch instead of playing on these servers you guys would of been one big happy family.... :D

But I agree there taking to long with transfers, the system should of been created into the game at the beginning as EVERY MMO has had to deal with transfers so if they did their homework it shouldn't be a surprise to them they needed a transfer system....

We lost our guild name and have had our guild split in half because of this. Half the players have decided to level to 50 rather than wait and I've just hit 50 only to find everyone gone!

Lucky I've got ME3 and Batman on my todo list. Too bad for bioware if Im used to not playing by the time I get a transfer.

edit: How awesome are the Batman games?! TOTALLY AWESOME

Edited by glenbruton

Has anyone on the SWTOR development team ever actually worked on a successful MMO before?

Because I'm really starting to wonder.

Can't quite tell if this is a failed troll attempt, or a serious query....

This is BioWare's first MMO, so if there are any, they are likely few and far between.

Hello everyone. I can absolutely understand the frustrations expressed here, and I appreciate that for the most part, you're being constructive in your comments. Here's a little more insight into the situation...

I absolutely get your reasoning; but still it is very disappointing news to get. Thank you though for the update.

Been around long? The reason I ask is because unlike your assumptions all the above questions were answered before we bought the game.

- server transfers are not a blessing, we were actually told we would be able to prior to the 20/12 which is one reason we went ahead and purchased the game.

- when you have multiple 50's and other alts only a fool would reroll and duplicate what classes he/she has

- Again before the 20/12 players had assurances that there would be no IP blocking which is another reason we bought the game ahead of time.

Rather than your irrational emotional responses, we on the other hand had made well informed decisions in regards to purchasing the game prior to the 20/12.

Actually by the look of things I have been around longer than you.

- Server transfers are a blessing, please show proof that they already have in place and will guarantee transfers for players by X date? To my knowledge they will have transfers which is keeping to their promise of allowing transfers.

- I have 2 50's and another almost at 50 however I agree no one wants to reroll the same class you have how many other classes to choose from? Jug/Mara = same story but a different class (weird its designed like that but I guess people like you who write with emotion dont seem to understand the difference).

- Yes assurances of no IP blocking, assurances also that the game will not be OFFICIALLY launched for the Oceanic zones.... I believe they called it RED ZONES. That means if you actually bother to look up, even if you purchase the game they do not have to support you because you're playing outside the supported regions. Hmmm go figure huh?

How about do some research prior to calling out someone for irrational emotional responses, when you yourself seem to be writing with a huge amount of irrational emotional anger thinking world and Bioware owes you everything.

Remember its not all about you and ideals of the world and Bioware owes me everything. You just need to learn to build a bridge and move on.

Edited by Shakydvs

I'm just playing on my old server like normal til the transfer. Then I'll worry about guilds and so on.

I loved the low ping when I was there. The engine is still bad. It'll only be in WZ that it will make a difference.

I'm actually really happy with transfers being delayed until late April. It will mean that all the new players that are just starting SW:TOR at the Oceanic launch will have a fair oppourtunity to level up and form communities in our own new space, without being subject to multitudes of high level transfers unbalancing the economy and community.

Here's a little more insight into the situation....

Thanks for that, Stephen. There would have been significantly less nerdrage if this news article had been put out there before the Asia/Pacific launch. It's good to have it now, but most of the people expressing their anger and annoyance would have been molified by this, I think. After all, SWTOR gamers are a cut above, right? :D

One solution to part of the problem about the lateness of transfers might be to start up a new Australian server just for transferees once they work out the transfer process. People transferring could choose this new server, or an existing one. At least this would increase the chances of people being able to keep their character and guild names. After the free transfer period is over, the server could be opened up to everyone. I was quite disappointed to find that after waiting in the queue to get on the new server, one of my toon names was already taken. :(

Given the length of the queues, I think additional PVE and PVP servers for our region will quickly be justified.

I cant believe all of these posts...

Remember when you were crying and begging for them not to IP block?

They should have IP blocked you all to begin with.

You werent meant to play on the NA or EU servers to begin with.

You need to take a step back and think on it a bit.

We get a new server! We have lvl 50's who raid and play endgame, but we have to wait almost 2 months before we can bring them across and actually play on the better latency?

Read what I put in bold carefully. Your own words explain very well why they are giving new players on those servers a couple of months before unleashing you on them.

i was so sad when i heard you were going to unsub. and right after i got my new keyboard. it's a filco ninja tenkeyless with cherry black switches. it's super cool. it has nkey rollover. i can't wait for lunch at work today. it's catered. it's usually pretty good. once it was lobster.